How to Frustrate Gun Buyers and Sellers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How to Frustrate Gun Buyers and Sellers

TSAX
11-27-2012, 02:47
Black Friday caused an over load in the NICS system (background checks for gun buyers) shutting it down for a while. This slowed/prevented some sales. Customers left gun stores pissed and without their gun.

How would you feel if you were in this situation?

http://www.guns.com/fbi-background-check-system-black-friday-call-volume-11519.html

:50cal:

skeeter7
11-27-2012, 03:20
Seven day waiting period here so it doesn't affect me much but I can see where people can get mad if they are buying something and can't take it home with them.

11-27-2012, 03:38
CHL = No NICS needed :cool:

skeeter7
11-27-2012, 04:18

In RI, you still have to wait the 7 days even if you have an AG issued permit. I don't quite understand why though since you most likely already have a firearm to carry after using one to qualify for your license.

stevelyn
11-27-2012, 04:19
How would you feel if you were in this situation?

I feel nothing. I think it's pretty awesome that there were so many gun purchases, that the system crashed overwhelming the NICS monkeys. They'll get their guns. It'll just take a day or so to clear the bottleneck.

JMarch
11-27-2012, 04:22
Same with a MI CPL, but many big stores like Dunham's or Dicks Sporting goods have corporate policy that prohibits them from accepting it as valid for long guns.

Resqu2
11-27-2012, 04:36

Wish it was that way in VA, I never had a delay in my life, got my CHL and now I never get to take a gun home on the day it's bought. :dunno:

Pilotdude3407
11-27-2012, 04:46
I love my state of GA...plop down my carry license and ID and walk out in under 10 min...the way it should be. I feel for all of you. A real shame you have to go through that.

tantrix
11-27-2012, 04:59
Private sale...no ID or paperwork needed. Meet, swap cash for gun, and drive off...takes 20 seconds or 20 minutes, however long you make it.

Pilotdude3407
11-27-2012, 05:01
Well I meant that with our GWL, there is no call to the FEDs needed, so as fast as your little pen can fill out the form, you're done. :-D

tantrix
11-27-2012, 05:04
Well I meant that with our GWL, there is no call to the FEDs needed, so as fast as your little pen can fill out the form, you're done. :-D

I gotcha. Yeah, it's really a waste to call in NICS for people who hold a current CHL.

Baba Louie
11-27-2012, 05:13
How would you feel if you were in this situation?If this happened regularly, one might think incompetance in managing the computer system or (shudder) some form of planned conspiracy to negatively manage the RKBAs by slowing the sales of arms to the masses. But a single day of overwhelming sales, an isolated incident, means little in that regard.

But we all know Uncle Sam would never conspire to affect the sales of firearms (koff F&F koff) in any way shape or means. Because that would be downright unAmerican, nefarious and maybe even "under the radar" kinda sneaky. :whistling:

Should this happen again, however, might give one pause to wonder.

Good to know sales were soooo high that day. Is this a GREAT Country or what? :supergrin:

But to answer your question, If it happened to me? I'd play the waiting game. I do tend to avoid crowds tho, so I don't think, no, I KNOW I would not be out shopping with the masses. Rather be out hiking or shooting w/ family and friends or even working.

But I would bet that several people in positions of power took note and thought to themselves (as did I)... "hmmmm, interesting.... very interesting. Blame it on the computer system? How cool is that? Not our fault, computer's fault. Why, the Attorney General says it might take up to 6 - 12 months to fix that glitch eh? Maybe longer. We're working on it. Till then..." :upeyes:

(but that'd never happen) :wavey:

Lowjiber
11-27-2012, 05:19
Black Friday? Won't even catch me going to Seven-Eleven that day...not to mention trying to buy a gun.

bobtheelf
11-27-2012, 05:49
I was in that situation. Didn't really bother me.

stolenphot0
11-27-2012, 05:53
Wouldn't bother me too much. Sure I'd be a little peeved, but as long as I know my gun is paid for and is mine I would pick it up later. I have other guns to shoot/carry

Bren
11-27-2012, 06:01
I live in Kentucky and have a CCDW permit, so I don't have to have a NICS check to buy a gun.

However, it sucks that we have any permits or any background checks in any state.

Bren
11-27-2012, 06:04
I love my state of GA...plop down my carry license and ID and walk out in under 10 min...the way it should be. I feel for all of you. A real shame you have to go through that.

The way it should be? When I was born, you walked into the local department store or hardware store, picked a pistol out of the case, paid for it along with your other purchases and left. If you didn't want to do that, or they didn't have your gun, you could order it from the Sears or Montgomery Ward catalog and they'd mail it to you, along with your christmas shopping and some new muskrat and beaver traps. They didn't even need to see an ID and there was no paperwork.

Then, when I was 2, came the 4473, ID, prohibited persons, etc.,

Then, when I was 27, came the Brady Bill and NICS...we are a long, long way from "the way it should be" and it has been a fast slide down.