Modifying my Sig p226 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Modifying my Sig p226

Gun Shark
11-27-2012, 05:28
I am debating sending my W. German sig p226 to Sig for factory servicing and night sights(clean it, change out all worn parts) and possibly having them change it from DA/SA to DAK or getting the short reset trigger.

The gun was completely stock and hasn't been completely taken apart from the time my dad bought it(early 90s) to the time he gave it to me in 2009. All I did was put some hogue grips on it.

My question to everyone is, is it worth it? From both a modification and money standpoint. Or should I leave it the way it is, and just get a new guide rod and night sights and save myself the few hundred bucks.

I should add that the gun is in amazing condition except for possible wear on the internals. My dad and I take amazing care of our firearms.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Gun Shark
11-27-2012, 12:31
:bump:

JimIsland
11-27-2012, 12:54
How many rounds are through it?? approx

CAcop
11-27-2012, 12:54
Go to sigforum.com for more info but from what I understand older Sigs can't be converted to DAK. They can be converted to DAO though. It has to do with a deeper cut in the frame to allow for the DAK trigger bar to move.

You can convert them to SRT triggers. That is what I plan on doing at some point in the future.

Gun Shark
11-27-2012, 19:53
How many rounds are through it?? approx

I'm going to guess somewhere between 8 and 15,000 rounds.

Rinspeed
11-27-2012, 20:56
My friend just got his 225 back from Sig and they did a great job.

NeverMore1701
11-27-2012, 21:06
They did a great job on my 228, got night sights, trigger job, and target crown.

dbak
11-27-2012, 21:51
Put the srt on my 226 was a pain not going to lie but love the way it shoots.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Newcop761
11-27-2012, 22:19
I carry a Sig 229 DAK. I would much rather have a DA/SA any day of the week.

goldenlight
11-28-2012, 02:10
Go to sigforum.com for more info but from what I understand older Sigs can't be converted to DAK. They can be converted to DAO though. It has to do with a deeper cut in the frame to allow for the DAK trigger bar to move.

You can convert them to SRT triggers. That is what I plan on doing at some point in the future.

I though DAK was Sig's goofy name for DAO.

What's the difference?

Bruce M
11-28-2012, 05:58
About everyone who has had it done seems very pleased with the Sig service.

CAcop
11-28-2012, 06:34
I though DAK was Sig's goofy name for DAO.

What's the difference?

DAK has a lower trigger pull weight. It came out in the early/mid 2000's. DAO has been around for at least a decade longer. It's been awhile but IIRC DAK uses a longer hammer and completley different trigger bar, hence the need for the frame cutout to be bigger. DAO is just a simple switch of a hammer that does not have a single action notch. The trigger pull difference is about 10 pounds vs. 6.5. Both well within revolver range but I could see how 10 pounds would get a little much around the 10th or 12th round.

BTW DAK stands for Double Action Keller (or Kellerman it has been a long time).

SPIN2010
11-28-2012, 06:47
Yes, it is. Wait for a special offer (if you can) ... just missed the Veterans Day special.

Rinspeed
11-28-2012, 08:14
Yes, it is. Wait for a special offer (if you can) ... just missed the Veterans Day special.

I forgot to mention this, sign up for e-mail alerts if you're not in a big hurry. They have great deals on a regular basis.

Gun Shark
11-28-2012, 10:33
I forgot to mention this, sign up for e-mail alerts if you're not in a big hurry. They have great deals on a regular basis.

That's honestly why I'm thinking about it, but it's still expensive and wanted to know if it was/is worth it, or it would be cheaper/better just to have someone locally to do it. That said, it has sentimental value as well so I don't want some yahoo who thinks he knows what he's doing, ****ing up the gun. And getting a modification if I do send it in, it would make some sense, because of the expensive shipping of a firearm. The SRT looks like it makes the most sense. Anyone have experience with the ones that I am able to get, that may be better to get than the SRT?

goldenlight
11-28-2012, 12:07
DAK has a lower trigger pull weight. It came out in the early/mid 2000's. DAO has been around for at least a decade longer. It's been awhile but IIRC DAK uses a longer hammer and completley different trigger bar, hence the need for the frame cutout to be bigger. DAO is just a simple switch of a hammer that does not have a single action notch. The trigger pull difference is about 10 pounds vs. 6.5. Both well within revolver range but I could see how 10 pounds would get a little much around the 10th or 12th round.

BTW DAK stands for Double Action Keller (or Kellerman it has been a long time).

Ah, thanks for the explanation. All of my Sigs except for one date back before the fall of the Berlin wall, and I haven't kept up on the newer ones.

My Sigs have a MUCH heavier DA trigger than my 2 third generation Smith and Wesson semiautos, so I always wondered why anyone would WANT a Sig with a double action only trigger.

It sounds like the Sig engineers figured a way to have a lighter double action trigger, with a heavy enough firing pin strike for reliable primer ignition. For a police or concealed carry weapon, I could see where that would be very desirable trigger control option.

My S&W 6906 is my preferred CC weapon, mostly because the DA trigger is so much better than my Sig P-228, for the first shot. I consider the P-228 to be a more accurate and possibly even a more reliable semiauto than the S&W, but the heavy DA trigger has kept me from using it as a CC weapon.

I also really like the three dot Novak sights on the S&W 3rd generation semiautos. I can fire my 5906 faster and more accurately than any other semiauto, but a good part of that is due to the heavy weight of the all stainless steel construction.

In single action shooting, at least for me, Sigs have a significant accuracy edge over the S&W (and Glock) semiauto pistols.

I think I need to find a way to fire a DAK Sig, and see if it's something I like. I wish Sig would go with the three dot sights, as I find it the fastest way to line up the sights, for both the first, and subsequent shots.