::FDA:: Don't take your drugs with grapefruit juice! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : ::FDA:: Don't take your drugs with grapefruit juice!

lethal tupperwa
11-27-2012, 06:48
::FDA::

Don't take your drugs with grapefruit juice!

That's not a bad rule to follow, because enough drugs have been prove to have some very harmful side effects if you do.

Side effects from taking them with grapefruit juice can be as severe as death.

85 oral medications, including pills for heart problems, pain and psychiatric problems have been put on the "no Grapefruit juice" list:

A-C
Alfentanil (oral)
Amiodarone
Apixaban
Atorvastatin
Buspirone
Clopidogrel
Crizotinib
Cyclosporine

D-F
Darifenacin
Dasatinib
Dextromethorphan
Domperidone
Dronedarone
Eplerenone
Erlotinib
Erythromycin
Everolimus
Felodipine
Fentanyl (oral)
Fesoterodine

H-P
Halofantrine
Ketamine (oral)
Latatinib
Lovastatin
Lurasidone
Maraviroc
Nifedipine
Nilotinib
Oxycodone

P-Z

Pazopanib
Pimozide
Primaquine
Quinine
Quetiapine
Quinidine
Rilpivirine
Rivaroxaban
Silodosin
Simvastatin
Sirolimus
Solifenacin
Sunitinib
Tacrolimus
Tamsulosin
Ticagrelor
Triazolam
Vandetanib
Venurafenib

Verapamil
Ziprasidone

Atomic Punk
11-27-2012, 07:20
besides grapefruit being disgusting anyway. what on earth in it makes it have such negative effects with so many drugs?

robertoh
11-27-2012, 07:28
Seen a episode of the Dr. Oz show last week and he was talking about diets for loosing weight,and said Grapefruit juice was good for a weight reduction.He didn't mention any caution about not drinking Grapefruit just if taking some Medications. So much for the all wise Dr. Oz.:whistling:

Travclem
11-27-2012, 07:38
besides grapefruit being disgusting anyway. what on earth in it makes it have such negative effects with so many drugs?
It is a potent inhibitor of Cytochrome P450 enzyme 3A4 that plays a big role in the hepatic metabolism of a lot of drugs. If you drink grapefruit juice your body cant get rid of the drug thus it accumulates to toxic levels.

deputy tom
11-27-2012, 07:44
^^ Yep! I knew this as it's written on my meds label. Thanks for posting for those who didn't know. tom.

Atomic Punk
11-27-2012, 07:50
It is a potent inhibitor of Cytochrome P450 enzyme 3A4 that plays a big role in the hepatic metabolism of a lot of drugs. If you drink grapefruit juice your body cant get rid of the drug thus it accumulates to toxic levels.

that is really interesting. may or may not mention that to people i know that eat grapefruit :supergrin:

DustyJacket
11-27-2012, 07:59
And grapefruit itself.
Back in the early 1990s, my parents sent us a case of Ruby Red grapefruit, and we ate a lot of it.

My wife semi-ODed on her normal meds. We researched it and went back to her doctor with the news. He didn't know. few people really did.

A couple of weeks ago, she forgot and bought some GF juice. She started feeling dizzy the next day.........

SMOKEin
11-27-2012, 08:56
Am I the only one who always thought you were supposed to take your drugs with whiskey?

jtmac
11-27-2012, 09:34
The mystery of how and why people drink grapefruit juice to begin with remains...

fwm
11-27-2012, 10:08
::FDA::

Don't take your drugs with grapefruit juice!

That's not a bad rule to follow, because enough drugs have been prove to have some very harmful side effects if you do.

Side effects from taking them with grapefruit juice can be as severe as death.

85 oral medications, including pills for heart problems, pain and psychiatric problems have been put on the "no Grapefruit juice" list:

A-C
Alfentanil (oral)
Amiodarone
Apixaban
Atorvastatin
Buspirone
Clopidogrel
Crizotinib
Cyclosporine

D-F
Darifenacin
Dasatinib
Dextromethorphan
Domperidone
Dronedarone
Eplerenone
Erlotinib
Erythromycin
Everolimus
Felodipine
Fentanyl (oral)
Fesoterodine

H-P
Halofantrine
Ketamine (oral)
Latatinib
Lovastatin
Lurasidone
Maraviroc
Nifedipine
Nilotinib
Oxycodone

P-Z

Pazopanib
Pimozide
Primaquine
Quinine
Quetiapine
Quinidine
Rilpivirine
Rivaroxaban
Silodosin
Simvastatin
Sirolimus
Solifenacin
Sunitinib
Tacrolimus
Tamsulosin
Ticagrelor
Triazolam
Vandetanib
Venurafenib

Verapamil
Ziprasidone

Add Warfarin to the list. Probably a number of GTers on it. Alters how it works and makes the INR tests mostly useless, culminating in prescribed doses being way to high or to low. Results can be devastating, as my wife found out after the hospital called me a 6:00 in the morning to get there NOW if I wanted to see her again.

deputy tom
11-27-2012, 11:30
Am I the only one who always thought you were supposed to take your drugs with whiskey?

No, you aren't but it's Whisky. tom.:tongueout:

Dennis in MA
11-27-2012, 11:41
We took druuuuugs and grapefruit juice. Look what happened to us!

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/DennisinMA/863D5475-814D-4DDD-83A0-5E537580993B-2334-000000DCD0553C86.jpg

(OK, maybe we just came from the eye doctors. LOL)

alwaysshootin
11-27-2012, 11:48

Actually, when taking drugs, it's vodka, that should be used!

Whiskey, is actually, medicine, on it's own! :whistling:

Travclem
11-28-2012, 06:58
Add Warfarin to the list. Probably a number of GTers on it. Alters how it works and makes the INR tests mostly useless, culminating in prescribed doses being way to high or to low. Results can be devastating, as my wife found out after the hospital called me a 6:00 in the morning to get there NOW if I wanted to see her again.
Yes, Warfarin is definitely on the list.