Bigger Threat: Knife or Gun? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bigger Threat: Knife or Gun?

Dr. Leaky
11-27-2012, 06:58
So as I walked into a store yesterday I saw a guy walking toward me heading for the exit. Right off I noticed that he had a sheath knife on his belt, probably about 14 inches in length, and the low-level alarms started up. Why would someone walk around town with a big knife on his belt? As I passed him I noticed the bottom end of a holster visible on the other side of his belt and I started to relax - I realized that someone with a gun seemed like less of a threat than someone with a knife. Maybe I'm just more of a gun guy than a knife guy, but it did seem strange. I always have a folding knife with me but I still don't get carrying a big sheath knife around.

tantrix
11-27-2012, 07:07
I routinely carry a Spyderco Temperance fixed blade which is a good 10" or so in length, especially during hunting season.

But the bigger question here is why would you be worried about what someone was carrying at all? Unless they're acting weird, no reason for alarm.

Dr. Leaky
11-27-2012, 07:11
Probably no more than that it was unexpected. You see a lot of guns here but not a lot of knives.

Drjones
11-27-2012, 08:09
Gun is a bigger threat to me, since I'm almost always carrying myself. I'd rather my opponent bring a knife to our gunfight. :)

That said, I think I'd rather get shot than stabbed/slashed. Casual browsing of topics like this over the years, I've seen photos & read of the aftermath of knife wounds.

I'd like to hear from our resident experts, but a knife can certainly be more devastating than a gun, especially if the attacker knows how to use it at all.

Bren
11-27-2012, 08:43
As I passed him I noticed the bottom end of a holster visible on the other side of his belt and I started to relax - I realized that someone with a gun seemed like less of a threat than someone with a knife.

:dunno:

220-9er
11-27-2012, 08:49
I would evaluate the threat by the actions of the person with a weapon, not the weapon itself.
I don't want to be stabbed or shot.

stolenphot0
11-27-2012, 08:52
I think it all depends on the end use is. I really think you could do a lot of damage with a knife in a dark theater that is semi-crowded, over what you could do with a pistol.

I wouldn't want to only depend on a knife for my own protection though. I like the idea of not having to go hand to hand if not necessary. I won't lie many people are stronger than I. Besides, carry laws in Ohio for knives are pretty bad.

guyandarifle
11-27-2012, 09:16
A knife as a weapon of intent is a very deliberate and personal thing. For instance, there isn't a big problem with innocent people being injured in drive-by knifings.

Growing up in the South even as a kid I got used to the idea that practically everybody I knew had a knife on them. We'd wear folding knives to school on our belts. (that'd probably get a SWAT team called in these days)

Perhaps if I saw someone obviously trying to conceal a big Bowie knife under their jacket I might wonder "Exactly why would one feel a need to be doing that?" but, as others have stated, there's much more to consider.

Honestly, if you wanted to see my radar start pinging, have me standing around in the local grocery and some dude walks in with a baseball bat. Think about it.

T-Rod45
11-27-2012, 09:44
I've heard of LE agencies training that a knife is a more dangerous threat due to the ability to cause a more severe wound. The whole 2-second 20-foot thing and all that...

Mushinto
11-27-2012, 10:01
Whenever I find myself questioning whether someone else "needs" something, I smack myself.

Unk
11-27-2012, 10:16
Distance can be your GOOD friend..well along with time and speed.

Old guy now and haven't seen all that many big sheath knives worn outside big game seasons/areas. Used to see a lot of folders in belt sheaths, fewer now that many folks have gone to knife clips for pocket carry.

I carry an auto knife, because I can, for cutting stuff and a firearm for SD- both concealed.

Now wild eyed guys with open carry swords or machetes rate an extra look.. or two

Best,

Berto
11-27-2012, 10:36
I'd never underestimate a knife, but someone carrying one in a sheath...BFD.

Someone skilled with a knife is easily just as much a threat as a handgun at contact range.

JAS104
11-27-2012, 11:45
Frankly, I wouldn't want to be hit with either.
Shot or stabbed, still intense bodily harm. However I think there's a stigma about it since in the movies and such we dont get much of a visual for a guy gettin shot. Its more of a POP then he falls over. However if you think of movies like Psycho, being stabbed looks pretty gruesome. :shocked:

series1811
11-27-2012, 11:50
I've heard of LE agencies training that a knife is a more dangerous threat due to the ability to cause a more severe wound. The whole 2-second 20-foot thing and all that...

Watch a film of a trainer who works under the name of Southnarc, who I know, demonstrate knife tactics just one time, and you will be scared to death of what someone who knows what they are doing, can do with a knife.

He makes Vin Diesel in Pitch Black look like a piker. :supergrin:

Mayhem like Me
11-27-2012, 11:58
This guy will cut you so many time your cuts will have cuts..

http://inosanto.com/

Took a seminar of his years ago he is still the man.

byf43
11-27-2012, 12:02
Personally, I'm more concerned about 'the other guy' having a gun, than I am with 'him' having a knife.

I've been cut. (Hand) I've been stabbed. (Arm)
Yes, a knife can do some damage, but, a gunshot is more tissue (and organ) damaging.

ldrichard
11-27-2012, 12:11
I've been shot (arm), and I've been cut (abdomen).

If you pull a gun on me, I'll try to talk you down.

If you pull a knife on me I'll fill you so full of .45ACP lead
they'll need a forklift to carry you off.

11-27-2012, 12:37
Knives are intimate weapons.

If I'm reasonably close, I'll bet I can get my knife out and close the distance and use it before most people get their handgun drawn. Besides, most people don't know how to fight and depend on distance for (false) security.

VinnieD
11-27-2012, 13:40
I'm from the deep south. It's generally expected that someone has a knife. You might get funny looks if you don't have one. Generally when I see a large knife it's usually a nice hunting knife, often with a handmade leather sheath and bone handle that the owner just likes to show off. That or the tacticool types in the gun store with their SOGs and Ka-Bars. It's the knife you don't see that you should worry about.

Gallium
11-27-2012, 13:49
Biggest threat to me is TIME, which usually translates to distance. I have no real way of knowing that the meekly dressed nerdy looking guy with the 4" blade won't slice me to shreds more than the biker dude with the 13" mini-machete.

Willard
11-27-2012, 14:23
In addition to Inosanto, and SouthNarc, Michael Janich does some really impressive knife work.

Chuck TX
11-27-2012, 14:41
It ain't the tool, it's the person wielding it and their intentions that matter.

camelotkid
11-27-2012, 14:48
I would evaluate the threat by the actions of the person with a weapon, not the weapon itself.
I don't want to be stabbed or shot.
this. I would be more cautious of someone that gave me a bad vibe and is unarmed than a good guy with a knife or a gun.

Magnus2131
11-27-2012, 19:26
Had two surgeries due to a Ka-bar to the leg. Don't underestimate them.

*ASH*
11-27-2012, 19:33
arrows!!!

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e332/KK_Koala/tumblr_lt8kfyiCmL1r4mkswo1_400.jpg

TBO
11-27-2012, 19:38
why would you be worried about what someone was carrying at all? Unless they're acting weird, no reason for alarm."The world is so dangerous one cannot leave the house without a gun".

"A man with a gun is no potential threat".

Sent from the toe of my jack boot using Tapatalk 2

Averageman
11-27-2012, 20:25
If you are in that 21 foot zone and have to draw against someone with a knife and you both start moving at the same time chances are the guy with the holstered gun is going to be stabbed before it comes in to play.
Now if you are going against someone who has some time in prison you might get hit like a sewing machine needle before you get the gun out of the holster.
I would say the key is to move as quick and as far away as possible as you draw.

Fox
11-27-2012, 20:34
Both guns and knives will kill. Dead is dead.

HKLovingIT
11-27-2012, 20:43
Knives don't run out of ammo.

I'm more a feared of a knife at contact distance. I know that even with my supa-ninja commando one hand disarm skills, while I draw and rack my slide on my holster (Israeli style rules!) using my weak hand (SOB holster), they are very dangerous and fast in the hands of someone with real intent, let alone skill.

I don't see where noticing the guy described in the OP had a gun also made him any more or less scary/dangerous/threatening (or whatever word one wants to use). Seems it would depend more on what he was doing, what signals he was sending and what flags he was flying. Plus my ESP.

Gun or knife on or in the possession of one of my fellow civilians doesn't automatically = good guy or okay dude to me. Look at all the weirdos we got here. :rofl: J/K - sorta. :tongueout:

BEER
11-27-2012, 21:02
on a 1/4 mile drag which car would win between a corvette and a honda civic?

the corvette right?

wrong, whichever one has the best driver is going to win.

p.s. you think a guy carrying a 10 inch sheath knife on his belt is scary? what do you think of someone hiding a 7.5 inch bladed folder in their pocket?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/SCOWL1313/1011112022.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/SCOWL1313/1011112023.jpg

acaligunner
11-27-2012, 21:13
All i know is that if it can cause an injury, it's something to look out for.

If a BG hits me with a needle, and it cause's me to lose the fight, it should be meet with something that i can counter their actions. People have been killed with many ordinary iteams.

Guns and knives are both dangerous in the wrong hands, criminals may have more experience with knives/shanks, so be careful.

Magnus2131
11-27-2012, 21:19
on a 1/4 mile drag which car would win between a corvette and a honda civic?

the corvette right?

wrong, whichever one has the best driver is going to win.

p.s. you think a guy carrying a 10 inch sheath knife on his belt is scary? what do you think of someone hiding a 7.5 inch bladed folder in their pocket?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/SCOWL1313/1011112022.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/SCOWL1313/1011112023.jpgEspada?

BEER
11-27-2012, 21:34
Espada?

yep xl g-10 version to be exact.

Berto
11-27-2012, 21:38
Sorry, the guy with the vette is still going to win unless he's legless.:supergrin:

HollowHead
11-27-2012, 22:14
The feeling I get about Mick Dundees is that they can't legally possess a firearm, and that's reason for polite caution alone. HH

tantrix
11-27-2012, 22:57
The feeling I get about Mick Dundees is that they can't legally possess a firearm, and that's reason for polite caution alone. HH

Or, like it is here...you can usually see their knife, but you can't always see their gun.

DrMaxit
11-27-2012, 23:10
I'm a more intimidated by a pulled knife than a gun any day. Unsure why I feel this way but when I see someone pulling out a knife the odds of it being used is higher than if someone pulls out a gun.

I'm sure thats probably an incorrect statistic so I don't need internet "correcting," but thats what goes through my head.

Zombiegargoyle
11-27-2012, 23:50
When I first read in the cowboy action shooting rules that part of your accoutrements could be a knife, my first thought was, "Heck that's dangerous, somebody could hurt themselves." and that's how I came to realise I was a gun nut.:rofl:

NIB
11-28-2012, 00:20
In Iraq and Afghanistan, we found out often times the locals were more afraid of a 7 inch bowie knife rather than an M4 carbine.

Baba Louie
11-28-2012, 06:45
What are the hands doing? It's the knife you don't see that you should worry about. Knife in a sheath, gun in a holster... where are the hands in relation to each? That and the face/eyes/body language. What do they tell you?

Predators out hunting JDLR in the normal day to day crowd where most are obliviously going on about their lives. It's amazing to hang out and talk with LEOs who have the uncanny knack to see the JDLR person in a crowd. (just dont look right) But then again I suppose it's knowing your customer base from repeated interactions.

I do think carrying an exposed sheath knife would keep most who notice it a goodly distance from you and depending on your location and behavior, a possible interaction and quick interview with a LEO.

What is the bigger threat? The one that surprises you and comes out of the blue?

MELE20C
11-28-2012, 08:44
I've been shot (arm), and I've been cut (abdomen).

If you pull a gun on me, I'll try to talk you down.

If you pull a knife on me I'll fill you so full of .45ACP lead
they'll need a forklift to carry you off.

I`m with you on this. As a cop I visited many crime scenes and saw even more pics. You see a scene where someone was brutally attacked with a knife, chased from room to room bleeding out, leaqving blood spray evidence everywhere and you kinda live the victim`s last few minutes with them. I decided a long time ago that I am never going out lke that.