I need a cooking lesson! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I need a cooking lesson!

okie
11-27-2012, 08:48
I don't know what's going on, but I'll be go straight to hell if I can make a grilled cheese sammich. I have a small four burner stove, it measures about 2.5'x2.5', I have a name brand cast iron skillet, and I have the fire up at about medium. Some of the sammiches will be burned to crap at one edge and barely cooked at the other end which tells me the skillet isn't heated the same through out. What the hell can I do, a concerned Chef :headscratch: :dunno:

Santa CruZin
11-27-2012, 08:50
Take your time with less heat, Mark. Covering the pan will help the cheese melt with better uniformity, too. Move the skillet around on the stove if you think you have hot spots.

...and make sure your smoke alarm works. Best kitchen timer there is. :)

okie
11-27-2012, 08:55
Take your time with less heat, Mark. Covering the pan will help the cheese melt with better uniformity, too. Move the skillet around on the stove if you think you have hot spots.

...and make sure your smoke alarm works. Best kitchen timer there is. :)

Thanks for the info, Eric it does sound as if I may be getting into to big a hurry and I for sure have hot spots.:thumbsup:

debbert
11-27-2012, 08:58
Make sure that your cooking surface is level. Use olive oil on the bread instead of butter or margarine. Butter and margarine make the bread soggy, while olive oil makes it crispy.

Use lower heat for a longer period of time, checking periodically to make sure that you're not cooking it beyond your preferred level of toastiness.

DO NOT cover the pan, as your sandwich become a soggy mess.

Patience is a virtue when you make a grilled cheese sandwich. You want the outer layer to gently brown while the inner layer gradually melts.

Foxterriermom
11-27-2012, 08:59
Okie, please don't go straight to hell. The grilled cheese is burned there too!

Santa CruZin
11-27-2012, 09:03
I've covered grilled cheese sammiches before without them becoming a soggy mess. Just cover long enough to get some convection energy into the cheese, no more, no less.

JimBianchi
11-27-2012, 09:04
When using cast iron (or any pan) I always make sure the burner is almost the same size as the pan. Get it as close as you can, but don't let the flames come out over the bottom of it, just to the inside edge. This will ensure you have even heat.

For a really golden brown look, low heat, oil not butter, multiple flips, never turn your back on it.

Enjoy!

Santa CruZin
11-27-2012, 09:09
...never turn your back on it.

This is a good rule for successful grilling, too.

okie
11-27-2012, 09:31
Okie, please don't go straight to hell. The grilled cheese is burned there too!

I recon they would be burned there also, huh sweetie pie:hugs::kiss:

Bren
11-27-2012, 09:42
I don't know what's going on, but I'll be go straight to hell if I can make a grilled cheese sammich. I have a small four burner stove, it measures about 2.5'x2.5', I have a name brand cast iron skillet, and I have the fire up at about medium. Some of the sammiches will be burned to crap at one edge and barely cooked at the other end which tells me the skillet isn't heated the same through out. What the hell can I do, a concerned Chef :headscratch: :dunno:

Dump the cast iron - it's best suited to making cornbread in the oven. Get an ordinary non-stick skillet at walmart. Use the largest burner and don't turn the heat too high.

okie
11-27-2012, 09:54
I guess I have been committing all the sins, I use butter, have the heat turned up to high, don't flip, and I turn my back. I better ask the grilled cheese Gods for forgiveness, and start over again:supergrin:

Gareth68
11-27-2012, 10:20
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamilton-Beach-Panini-Press-Gourmet-Sandwich-Maker-Red-25462Z/21130272

tantrix
11-27-2012, 10:20
I guess I have been committing all the sins, I use butter, have the heat turned up to high, don't flip, and I turn my back. I better ask the grilled cheese Gods for forgiveness, and start over again:supergrin:

Butter is fine as long as you don't use too much. Spread just enough to cover the bread...don't put it 1/8" thick or anything.

I put a cast-iron skillet on medium heat, then butter 1 side of both pieces of bread. I then put them in butter side down with a piece of cheese on one. After they get a sear, I flip the one without the cheese over on top of the one with it, then lower the heat down to low. Wait a minute or two then flip the entire sandwich over and finish browning the other side, and it's done.

Perfect every single time.

ditto1958
11-27-2012, 10:30
Grilled cheese sandwiches are hard to make on a stove. An electric skillet or pancake griddle with a thermostat makes it a lot easier to get consistent results. 375 F. Butter or marg? Doesn't matter, use what tastes best to you. Just don't use "spreads" that have water or other "healthy" stuff in them. Need 100% fat.

Patchman
11-27-2012, 10:55
Make sure that your cooking surface is level. Use olive oil on the bread instead of butter or margarine. Butter and margarine make the bread soggy, while olive oil makes it crispy.

Use lower heat for a longer period of time, checking periodically to make sure that you're not cooking it beyond your preferred level of toastiness.

DO NOT cover the pan, as your sandwich become a soggy mess.

Patience is a virtue when you make a grilled cheese sandwich. You want the outer layer to gently brown while the inner layer gradually melts.

The only thing different I would suggest is instead of olive oil, try mayo. Hellman's regular is fine, just don't use the low fat or no fat stuff.

I also like a slice of ham and some sauerkraut in my grilled cheese.

ray9898
11-27-2012, 10:58
I do better with just a regular non-stick, I think the CI just holds too much heat which is great for some things, not so great with bread.

Bruce M
11-27-2012, 11:04
Rumor has it that the professional chefs more and more are using a torch in the kitchen to do the final browning of some foods

http://www.chef-master.com/img/prod/prod.90014.jpg

I am guessing one of these could also be pressed into service for that task - And you know you want one. We all do. :supergrin:

http://thenewagency.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Flame-thrower.jpg

janice6
11-27-2012, 11:23
All the Advice you are getting here is good. Imagine what the various options would taste like in your mind, and go for it. If you know what you like, you can be a good cook.

Just remember that from the "cooking" standpoint, making Grilled Cheese so it looks right, is just like making pancakes or French toast. Peek often until you get the hang of what is happening on the side that is browning. With just a little experience it will become easy for you.

I love Grilled Cheese. Often dunking it into soup or sprinkling bacon crumbs in the Cheese.

You will be fine. It's not unusual to have to try a few times to cook things the way you want them.

Damn, now I'm hungry......

gigab1te
11-27-2012, 12:07
A George Foreman grill would have prevented this...