LEOs: Crime and the weather and moon [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : LEOs: Crime and the weather and moon

HKLovingIT
11-27-2012, 08:04
Howdy,

Police guys and gals,

Unscientific curiosity questions: for fun and edutainment.

Do the crimes and calls you have get weirder or more widespread with the full moon, certain times of year or certain nights?

Aside from the obvious thing like everyone is out drinking on Saturday, but does every third Tuesday at 9 PM seem to be "get drunk and flop around in your front yard yelling at the neighbors night"? :rofl:

I have heard mention that this can be the case with the full moon, etc. Is it true, at least in what you've seen firsthand?

Do you think certain types of crimes rise and fall depending on the weather?

It might be obvious to say that street crimes rise with nice weather and go down with cold weather, but then indoor type crimes pickup in pace.

What do you see where you work?

Just curious. Thanks for sharing. :wavey:

Sam Spade
11-27-2012, 08:16
1st and 15th of each month.

Gallium
11-27-2012, 08:30
1st and 15th of each month.

In years past there would be a serious spike in low/mid level crimes (drunk/disorderly stuff, robbery, theft) the evening of the day when welfare checks were disbursed.

Nowadays folks are getting the $$$ on their cards electronically (I think).

Warm temps allow for folks to get out more. Really hot temps might cause tempers to flare.

SMOKEin
11-27-2012, 08:44
I have heard from many nurses, that the full moon does indeed usually back the ER.

walt cowan
11-27-2012, 09:27
With 20 years as a jailer, yes. Also Martin Luther kings birthday. Haven't broken the code on that one.:dunno:

tantrix
11-27-2012, 09:54
One of the many myths about full moons.

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astro/answers/970103b.html

Scientists have looked for a correlation between phase of the Moon and such things as murders, violent crime, or births. In particular, many police officers or emergency room personnel have noted a seeming rise in activity in their line of work during full Moons. Scientific studies done to isolate this have, however, shown *no* correlation, contrary to the beliefs of those involved. In other words, the Moon's phase doesn't seem to have any affect on the number of crimes committed and babies born.

So why do people seem to notice an increase in these things around the time of the full Moon? Social scientists speculate it's because people are more likely to notice, and remember, a full Moon, rather than the Moon at other phases. Thus, if a strange murder is committed when the Moon's a crescent, people covering the crime may not remember the phase of the Moon that night. If, however, the Moon is full, a police officer might be more likely to remember the phase of the Moon that night, since the full Moon is bright and very obvious. Thus, crimes, births, and strange occurrences happen all month long, but only those on the full Moon are associated with the Moon's phase when people talk about them.

Officer X
11-27-2012, 09:56

Are you a cop?

tantrix
11-27-2012, 09:58
Are you a cop?

Are you? Is anyone in this thread? :rofl:

SMOKEin
11-27-2012, 10:03

Interesting. I'll pull full moon vs er admissions tonight and report back either way.

Oops, I'm not a cop. :(

Patchman
11-27-2012, 10:04
I have heard from many nurses, that the full moon does indeed usually back the ER.

The full moon does seem to make a difference.

The first of the month can also get busy with "robberies" where the victim just exited the ATM and was robbed of their rent money, which they just withdrew. "And could I get a police report to show the landlord?"

tantrix
11-27-2012, 10:06
Interesting. I'll pull full moon vs er admissions tonight and report back either way.

Oops, I'm not a cop. :(

I used to believe it myself (heard it a long time ago) but after the internet and all that came along in the 90's, I was able to access far more on the topic, and it was pretty much dis-proven.

Patchman
11-27-2012, 10:10

I'm a florist. And on those psychological evaluation tests, I've always answered preferring to work in a library or flower shop than operating a bulldozer or a locomotive. :rofl::rofl:

tantrix
11-27-2012, 10:12
I'm a florist. And on those psychological evaluation tests, I've always answered preferring to work in a library or flower shop than operating a bulldozer or a locomotive. :rofl::rofl:

:rofl:

GRIMLET
11-27-2012, 10:42

I admit it....................
I would like to work in a library after I retire.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Gallium
11-27-2012, 11:11
I admit it....................
I would like to work in a library after I retire.

Sorry. Banging hot librarians in the back office nowhere is construed as "work".

Nice try though.

When I retire from my job as an internet troll I'd like to be chief of police for a large metropolitan dept. With the volume of cop shows I've seen on TV, I am supremely qualified.

Gombey
11-27-2012, 11:16
Are you a cop?

I see what you did there....

scccdoc
11-27-2012, 11:27
Howdy,

Police guys and gals,

Unscientific curiosity questions: for fun and edutainment.

Do the crimes and calls you have get weirder or more widespread with the full moon, certain times of year or certain nights?

Aside from the obvious thing like everyone is out drinking on Saturday, but does every third Tuesday at 9 PM seem to be "get drunk and flop around in your front yard yelling at the neighbors night"? :rofl:

I have heard mention that this can be the case with the full moon, etc. Is it true, at least in what you've seen firsthand?

Do you think certain types of crimes rise and fall depending on the weather?

It might be obvious to say that street crimes rise with nice weather and go down with cold weather, but then indoor type crimes pickup in pace.

What do you see where you work?

Just curious. Thanks for sharing. :wavey:

As a dentist, I seem to see more "toothaches" during that phase..................DOC

CAcop
11-27-2012, 11:34
I've noticed the beginning of the month problems. Never a full moon. I think the beginning of the month stems from them getting their SSI and blowing it all on various drugs. It does not help when people have serious mental health issues to be "self medicating" like that.

The weather is a bigger issue. Rain for more than a few days followed by great weather leads to all kinds of violent crime. Heat waves tend to get people after day two. We have very mild weather that is generally consistent here so I think any change, however slight, throws people off.

Patchman
11-27-2012, 11:39
Sorry. Banging hot librarians... .

I frequent the local libraries quite often, and I have yet to meet a "hot librarian." OK, yeah, maybe they don't feel comfortable hanging around the "Adults Only" reading section... :whistling:

Moravia
11-27-2012, 11:40
The full moon does seem to make a difference.

The first of the month can also get busy with "robberies" where the victim just exited the ATM and was robbed of their rent money, which they just withdrew. "And could I get a police report to show the landlord?"

Always enjoy those ones. Convenient that it was for exactly X amount of dollars....exactly your rent amount you say? Hmmm, interesting. Unfounded (with more investigation obviously).

Unrelated but I also enjoy the "my room mate stole my Percocet, I don't want to press charges but can I get a police report"? No, no you can't get a police report.

Mushinto
11-27-2012, 11:41
I've been a cop for over 30 years, and I've constantly heard this from other cops, ER nurses, and Psych Ward personnel.

That being said, in my own experience it is not true.

It's just urban legend passed down from one storyteller to another.

Every WWII vet who has seen my 1911 on my hip tells a story about the gun kicking straight up in the air and spinning people around like a top when they are hit in the finger.

TBO
11-27-2012, 12:09
I've not seen a correlation between the weather, full moon, or time of month in relation to fake/poser LEO's popping up.

GRIMLET
11-27-2012, 12:25
Sorry. Banging hot librarians in the back office nowhere is construed as "work".

Nice try though.

If only you saw the librarians around here. HottyNOT!!!
I like the clean work area, quiet surroundings, climate controlled and nights and weekends off. Ok. Maybe a Saturday once in a while.

And then I could use the down time to research the effects of the moon on crime. HHahahaha

HKLovingIT
11-27-2012, 15:44
I've noticed the beginning of the month problems. Never a full moon. I think the beginning of the month stems from them getting their SSI and blowing it all on various drugs. It does not help when people have serious mental health issues to be "self medicating" like that.

The weather is a bigger issue. Rain for more than a few days followed by great weather leads to all kinds of violent crime. Heat waves tend to get people after day two. We have very mild weather that is generally consistent here so I think any change, however slight, throws people off.

That's interesting. I guess people get cabin fever and then get out after a few days and let loose.

HKLovingIT
11-27-2012, 15:45
I've been a cop for over 30 years, and I've constantly heard this from other cops, ER nurses, and Psych Ward personnel.

That being said, in my own experience it is not true.

It's just urban legend passed down from one storyteller to another.

Every WWII vet who has seen my 1911 on my hip tells a story about the gun kicking straight up in the air and spinning people around like a top when they are hit in the finger.

I thought they said they do that in a Magpul video or something.

HKLovingIT
11-27-2012, 15:45

Not me. Just curious.

HKLovingIT
11-27-2012, 15:46
I've not seen a correlation between the weather, full moon, or time of month in relation to fake/poser LEO's popping up.

TBO you are TBO. :tongueout::wavey::supergrin:

Ftttu
11-27-2012, 15:58
I don't believe there is anything to the full moon theory other than someone choosing the full moon to act stupid purposefully. I watched a show several years ago about this same thing. They found that when officers were busy or received a strange call, the moon being full was only noticed because the moon was full. The officers would have the same volume and strange calls on non-full moon nights but if they didn't consider the moon since it wasn't full, then it wasn't an issue. In my 21 years, I've never seen any correlation.

IndyGunFreak
11-27-2012, 16:07
With 20 years as a jailer, yes. Also Martin Luther kings birthday. Haven't broken the code on that one.:dunno:

Was just about the same thing... I don't know about the street, but I've got a good bit of time in correctional environments, and the above is absolutely, 100% true.

MLK.. I've not totally figured out(other than the obvious of course.. I'm not sure why they choose to go nanners on this day). The full moon.. Well, everybody seems to be busy on that one. It's just something I've gotten used to over the years...

But to recap... Full Moon.. DEFINITELY TRUE.

mac66
11-27-2012, 16:41

I ran a public safety department for 23 years and was in law enforcement at another department for another 10. I believed in the full moon theory until I started tracking incidents in my department just to see if it was true. Fact is, calls and incidents did not go up during a full moon we just paid more attention during that time because of the myth. Basically just what the cited study says.

Bruce M
11-27-2012, 16:43
:rofl::rofl:

stevelyn
11-28-2012, 03:11
I've noticed a correlation with call volume and a full moon. It probably has more to do with a full moon during good weather than a full moon effect itself.

Our normal crappy-ast Aleutian Hell weather keeps most folks shut in and buttoned up. When the wind takes a breather for a day or so, more people come out of their holes and engage in d-baggery.

Resqu2
11-28-2012, 03:30

Ran crew calls for years and we always dreaded the full moon, we kept our local ER full of crazies.

Agent6-3/8
11-28-2012, 03:34
Full moon and that sort of stuff, no. Does call volume pick up when the welfare leaches get their money? Yes. Call volume also picks up during warm weather months and around the holidays.

RF7126
11-28-2012, 10:27
I agree with everyone else that the call volume seems to be unaffected by ( or at least separate from) the moon. However, I do feel the mental subjects come out a bit more and are more active. Not only on the one night, but within a few days. Not sure why...

Petra
11-28-2012, 11:16
Spent 11 years as a police officer. I don't know if there were more calls during a full moon, but it did seem to bring out the weirdness in people. One weather correlation was a drop in crime during bad weather. Bad guys apparently don't like cold and wet. I had no choice but to get out in it. Bad guys must be union.

Sharky7
11-28-2012, 11:18
-Around here, the hotter it gets the more violence there is.

-Also, days of major sporting events always are good for DUI's and DUI accidents.

-Once it starts getting cold around holiday season - here comes the armed robberies.

-April 20th every year - everyone smoking the sticky icky in parks, parked cars, walking, whatever...

There's more, but that is what comes to mind off the top of my head. I don't really notice anything with the full moon, etc.