Has the economy effected you personally? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Has the economy effected you personally?

w30olds
11-27-2012, 10:17
Just was thinking about this today. As I look around I see more and more people losing their jobs, homes, businesses, etc. The housing market is in shambles and unemployment here where I live is very high. My neighbor lost his house this month due to losing his job.

It's scary as hell right now and not looking much better down the road for the economy.

The few jobs that I've looked into ended up being a joke. Employers want skilled workers, but don't want to pay you a decent wage to survive. Has this become the new norm?

Just wanted to ask others how, or if the current economy situation has effected you, or someone you know?

Sent from my iRotary Phone

Detectorist
11-27-2012, 10:22
Yes, it has 'affected' me. Unemployment is much, much, worse than what the government wants to admit.

Patchman
11-27-2012, 10:27
For my own family? No.

But my brother was out of a job for a little over a year. We (my retired parents and I) were able to help him with the mortgage so that never became an issue. But psychologically it was difficult for him and his family.

I just heard on the radio that "experts" are saying people are starting to be less pessimistic about the economy. They're NOT optimistic, just LESS pessimistic. WHOOPIE!

w30olds
11-27-2012, 10:27
Yes, it has 'affected' me. Unemployment is much, much, worse than what the government wants to admit.

I agree. I live in Georgia and I believe the unemployment rate here is one of the higher ones in the country. Even the skilled labor jobs are low and hard to find lately.

JLB768
11-27-2012, 10:34
Some of my family has been effected, but not anyone under my roof. Having a mortgage free home makes a huge difference, and the bills I have going out, are only a quarter of what I have coming in. If things were to go south for us, I could regain by cutting down on perks such as satellite TV, internet, etc. I live by a pretty simple rule, if I can't afford to pay cash for something, than I will wait to buy until I can.

Adjuster
11-27-2012, 10:39
No effect on me or anyone I know or any apparent effect in my area. I attribute this to not really having any type of manufacturing industry here. Have not heard of any hotels/resorts doing so bad that they have laid off or shut down. New restaurants always opening although there is also a restaurant closing down just as fast as a new one opens. Car dealerships are still in business. A huge amount of education jobs public, private and higher education and they are all full of students and employees. Housing prices are on the rise and we are even having a housing boom comparatively speaking. My job and income appears to increase as the economy worsens although if the economy hit rock bottom or collapsed then I would most likely instantly be out of work. I find with the poor economy homeowners file more insurance claims then they do when times are better. In good times a homeowner is more likely to pay for repairs out of pocket as opposed to go for insurance. In bad times a homeowner needs to rely more on insurance for those same repairs.

/

Psychman
11-27-2012, 10:39
It will when they raise the tax rates.

JDennis
11-27-2012, 10:40
In my line of work which is Sales it has. I keep track of my annual sales and have for over 10 years. This year has been down accross the board and on top of that, the market has changed in a way that the cost is up but not the values. So less profit to be made as well.

Travelin' Jack
11-27-2012, 10:44
Things have never been better for me, but its had a noticeably negative impact for many of my family and friends.

rj1939
11-27-2012, 10:45
I was put out of work about a day or two after the election. A good many people at work were surprised to see me get it, but somebody had to and it isn't going to stop there (they had been getting rid of people that had missed a lot of time etc.........I hadn't missed any time or used any sick days)(my boss didn't even know I had been layed off til I wasn't there)
I am kind of glad to not be there now, they are just looking for any reason to send somebody home.

I am ok for some time, have been getting things in better shape for just such an event.

It isn't what you make, it's what you spend.

Don't be counting on me for the financial recovery. I'm in miser mode.

M2 Carbine
11-27-2012, 11:16
No effect on me personally.

I'm retired

When working, the job was dangerous enough that my Wife and I knew I would not live to retire.

With this in mind I did my best, so hopefully my Wife could make it financially the day I didn't come home.
Everything paid for and enough in 401K, etc, so even though she wouldn't be buying a new car ever year she would be comfortable.

Well life sucks.

I did live to retire but within months of my retirement my Wife suddenly died.

So now I'm comfortable but I wish the original plan had taken place.

I can think of only one fellow that lost his job in past months.
He died of a heart attack recently.

I hang out at the local gun store. A number of people have been in trying to sell their guns because of being laid off.

JLB768
11-27-2012, 11:21

I'm retired

When working, the job was dangerous enough that my Wife and I knew I would not live to retire.

With this in mind I did my best, so hopefully my Wife could make it financially the day I didn't come home.
Everything paid for and enough in 401K, etc, so even though she wouldn't be buying a new car ever year she would be comfortable.

Well life sucks.

I hang out at the local gun store. A number of people have been in trying to sell their guns because of being laid off.

Sorry to hear you lost your wife.

Rabid Rabbit
11-27-2012, 11:24
Wife was laid off two years ago, now making 20% of what she used to make.
Had to put off building our house. Now we might be selling our current house and put a double wide on the property until we can build.

deputy tom
11-27-2012, 11:25
Yes. I've resorted to selling and trading away things I thought I'd keep forever. This economy sucks.tom.:steamed:

Patchman
11-27-2012, 11:26

My belated condolences.

My wife is ready to retire after 30+ years from the county hospital. Sudden, unexpected death (either her or me) after retirement was something we talked about yesterday and will continue tonight.

stolenphot0
11-27-2012, 11:26
Well I lost my job back in August and have been sending out resumes. I see the same jobs posted every few weeks with positions not being filled. A lot of the jobs now require you to basically have 3 degrees to work their one job. Seems they are compressing positions that used to be 3-4 jobs into 1.

I am making do and my kids are still going to have a good Christmas. Helps they figured out the Santa thing too :)

Dennis in MA
11-27-2012, 11:27
YES!

In 2007, I was pooping $. Life was good. Business was rich. I decided that fall to buy a small lakeside cabin. Looked like the perfect time to do it.

12 months later, my quarterly billing didn't cover my bills. WHOOPS!

Four years later, I'm still a bit behind where I was back then. Plus with financial reform and some upgrades at work, my fixed costs have risen.

Am I on the foodstamps? Heck no! But has it affected me? Yes.

series1811
11-27-2012, 11:43
My girlfriend's bank has been losing money the last couple of years and they have started laying people off and downgrading their pay. They finally got to her a month ago and downgraded her. Several of the other smaller banks are doing the same thing.

One brother's CPA firm is doing about ten percent less business because of the downturn (with many of his clients going otu of business).

One of my best friends got laid off a year and a half ago and had to ask to be activated full time in the National Guard to pay his bills.

Another brother sold his construction company three years ago, because he could see where things were heading and the people he sold it to are just about to lose it.

You see buildings for rent everywhere. I stayed at a Hilton in Florida over Thanksgiving, and if it was 1 per cent occupied, I would be surprised.

You see it everywhere you look, if you look. They were all hoping Obama was gone.

klmmicro
11-27-2012, 11:59
I still have my job and my family is OK, but everywhere I look it is bleak. I am in appliance repair and the number of households with one or more people unemployed is disconcerting. The news keeps babbling about things improving, but it is the stealthiest recovery ever.

It does have an effect when you see the down side regularly.

FL Airedale
11-27-2012, 12:10
I'm grateful to still have a job but as a government employee in a state that balances the budget, I'm bringing home less money than I was 4 years ago. My wife is a county employee that is bringing home less than she was 4 years ago also.

In the same 4 years, gas doubled, food prices have gone up about 20% and nothing else seems to be cheaper either.

I know we are much more fortunate than those that lost their jobs but the economy is hurting us. It is also hurting those whose goods and services we used to pay for that we had to cut back on.

CAcop
11-27-2012, 12:13
Me personally enough that my wife and I made some interesting changes. We sold our condo near town for a house 30 minutes away from work. Our monthly nut to crack is $200 less per month and we get more for it. I love eating breakfast and looking out over farm fields and mountains vs. my neighbor's front door. We could have gotten more house or one closer to work but we would be very tight. I think that is a lesson we will use for life.

When my wife wasn't working it was tighter but since she has gone back it has nearly replaced what the city has taken away to fund pet projects. The funny thing is she is doing contract work for the goverment for a private company. They are doing very well.

Others around me have been greatly affected. Pay cuts more or less imposed by the city has led to people losing homes. Others just gave up and walked away from houses with large mortages that they will never see a return on that investment. Houses in Salinas will not be worth $650k for a long time.

Morale is in the toilet at work. The city is playing a shell game with money. They are essentially betting our lives on it. We are way understaffed and will probably be like that for a long time. I am upping the number of weapons on my person as a result. We are also not willing to push as hard as we used to.

captainstormy
11-27-2012, 12:43
I'm very lucky. I work for a software company who's huge in the healthcare industry. We just keep getting swamped with work. We have hired about 100 people this year. Still short handed but can't really hire more people until we finish training those people. I even got a promotion last year and now have a team of people under me.

My fiancee lost her job in 2009 but found another one in a few months. Last year she transfered to another job, which is the best one she's ever had.

We are pretty blessed and lucky, most people aren't though I know that much.

I graduated college in 2006 so from my point of view this is really the only type of economy I know in my adult working life.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

HoldHard
11-27-2012, 12:54
Sales are down and with that so are the company earnings. Being 35% automotive didn't help but then our core customers in heavy equipment tanked in the last quarter. Cut their orders by over 70%. Some of our components have a 6 month lead time and the suppliers don't accept cancellations without penalty, so we are stuck with inventory we cannot sell.

As employees, we were just told that our contribution to health insurance was going up and the deductible went from $3,000 to $5,000 which means if I ever have to show up at an emergency room, the first $5K is out of my pocket.

Yeah, it has hit personally but I am still employed (for the moment).

HH

arclight610
11-27-2012, 12:59
I've seen it in my search to get a internship/entry level job in the engineering field. I've probably made 50 or so contacts which led to about 35ish interviews which led to 4 job offers.

gigab1te
11-27-2012, 13:06
After nearly 5 years with no raises, I recently got an increase in paid vacation days, and received a COLA and two raises within the last year. To balance that out, I also partly own a family ranching business that has been suffering due to a drought and the economy in general. Our profit margin is pretty thin right now. We'll pull through, but I personally know several ranchers who've gone under and more are likely to go that way.

Berto
11-27-2012, 13:22
Company going south, have to scamble for hours...but I'm surviving.
Things could be a lot worse.

Mrs.Cicero
11-27-2012, 13:27
Yes. It's changing our priorities, in terms of what we need to do to be as self-sufficient as possible as quickly as possible.

VinnieD
11-27-2012, 13:35
I had to get out of sales and marketing altogether. No one is buying when they have to worry about about just making the bills, and people have wrecked their credit just to survive.

Right now I'm a security guard, which I don't mind, but the hours are few and far between. I've been looking for a second job for a few months now with no real success. I'd flip burgers just to get a second revenue stream, but even there the competition is fierce. Outside of security, and customer service, clerical and computer work is my only other skill, and in this economy I'm competing with people who have business and computer science degrees for those jobs. Still other companies I've applied to are so picky, I'll see the same job I applied to posted again and again with still no hires. Companies don't want to take a chance on a new guy, no one wants to train, and even McDonald's seems to want a BS these days.

So yeah I'm a bit bitter about the economy. Starting to wonder if I should just give up on the private sector, and step up my exercise out until I can make the police academy.

GRIMLET
11-27-2012, 13:46
I am doing better better than I was a few years ago. I have two sons who are out of the house and in the military. My wife left the union for a management position and earned a nice salary bump. I havent had a raise in 5 years. I am not complaining about that. I am happy to be employed.
My entire family works directly for the government or a government contractor.

I feel the pain in the posts here.
M2 Carbine, the same thing happened to my dad and my mother. Stay focused and on track.

I can see how employers want several degrees to do several jobs. In 2008 when the first round of massive layoffs hit, the corporations realized that they could overtask their workers because the worker needed a job. American workers adapted to do several jobs to survive. Now it seems to be expected.
Do three jobs and still get paid for one. Oh, dont like it, NEXT.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

w30olds
11-27-2012, 14:51
The company I work for currently has told us there will be a reduction near the end of the year. Scares me to death as I'm one of the new guys.

I'm the only one in my house now as I'm divorced. If I get let go I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

I am an HVAC tech and this time of year jobs are hard to come by during the winter. I've gone back to college this year for Radiology because I'm worried about job security in the HVAC field. This is my 2nd job this year due to layoffs from the economy. Thats the reason I decided to go into the medical field in radiology.

Hopefully when I finish my degree I can get a decent job with a future that might be a bit more stable.

Paul_J
11-27-2012, 15:37
Yes, I used to work for a consulting engineering firm. Our primary business was healthcare design. A lot of growth in the industry was from Dr. owned hospitals. We had 4 large projects that vanished over night when the healthcare bill outlawed Dr. owned hospitals and I, along with several others lost our jobs. I found work but not making the same money. The funny thing is that I now work at a Dr. owned hospital. We have several large multimillion dollar projects on hold because we are not allowed expand. I don't know how long investors will hang in there without the possibility of future growth.

clancy
11-27-2012, 15:56
The economy has effected me in quite a few ways, none of them good. My union pension is gone due to "bad investments", which means I am not going to get that $650-$700 a month I was really counting on when I retire. I have held on to the same job for 14 months now, but the atmosphere is such that I, and all the guys I work with, feel it a minor miracle that we have a job at the end of the day. My health insurance premiums are going from $35 a week to $150, and deductible is going from zero to $2000.

I was making a bit more money 3 years ago than I am now, but that company closed it's doors because of the economy, and I worked a couple of pt jobs, then got laid off for 7 months before I got this job. Going from $35K a year to working a $10 an hour, pt job for 25-30 hours a week was quite an adjustment. What money I had saved is now totally gone.

My girlfriend lost her job in April, and despite her best effort hasn't been able to find anything. Several places that are hiring have advertised that to work there you have to speak Spanish. It is infuriating, to say the least. She went to a meeting at the Department of Labor Monday, and was told there are is a total of 17 job openings in the county we live in, and most of those are professional jobs.

As far as pay scales go, Kohl's opened a distribution center near where I live a few years ago, and were starting people out ft, $12 an dhour with benefits. They now only hire pt, $9, and no benefits. The local supermarket I worked at 25 years ago was starting ft employess out at $12 with benefits. They now only hire pt, minimum wage.

We are making it, barely. I have sold things I had hoped to pass on to my son just to pay bills. I don't see it getting any better, only worse.

bmoore
11-27-2012, 16:36
Yep. No growth/people buying and building houses. Our budget is based on a benefit fee from households. We typically see 7-14% growth a year in the past, not anymore. Been taking paycuts for a few years now, another 4% cut is locked in for 2013.

BSA70
11-27-2012, 16:40

I'm retired

Well life sucks.

What in the world did you do for a living? Law Enforcement?

farscott
11-27-2012, 17:01
Yes, the economy has impacted me both professionally and personally. In 2010, I switched employers (I was working as a project engineer for a defense contractor) as engineers were being let go as soon as their projects were completed. I found a new job the week before I shipped the TDP for my project to the USG Prime. I gave my notice and my boss told me he was happy because that was one less layoff he needed to make at the end of the month.

The new employer is much more stable and the pay is better. The only issue is that it is 285 miles from home, and the time to sell our current home is measured in years, not months. So I commute home every two weeks. That is tough on the whole family. But I have a good job, the bills are paid, and it could be a heck of a lot worse.

chewybaca67
11-27-2012, 17:27
Hell yeah! back in 2010 my employers couldn't pay me for 3 months. It wasn't all their fault, Corporate medical billing practices murdered many small businesses. Anyway, I eventually got what I was owed, a year later and currently still have to work 2 jobs to get myself outta' the hole from 2 years ago.

wavetrain75
11-27-2012, 17:33
Our income has dropped steadily since 2006.

Chuck TX
11-27-2012, 17:34
Yup, and most folks I know in some fashion. Quite a few family members in the medical profession too. Some of them took a 33% hit Jan 2012. Yowser!

canis latrans
11-27-2012, 17:38
yes.

over the last 4 years, I've seen "raises" totalling 2.25 percent. (that's not YEARLY raises...that's TOTAL over four years). meanwhile, my contribution for health insurance went up and we all know inflation is way above what .gov claims. I drive a ten year old vehicle.

but...I still have a decent job, so I'm grateful for that.

Patchman
11-27-2012, 17:43

Assuming he is retired military, or a retired test pilot for Lockheed or NASA, what has that got to do with his spouse passing away suddenly after his retirement or his current retirement situation?

I'm confused. Educate me.

CAcop
11-27-2012, 17:51

He was a heliocopter pilot. First for Uncle Sam and later oil companies. He has posted some interesting pictures over the years. It would be worth your time to look up his old posts.

JAS104
11-27-2012, 18:05
I've been fairly lucky. My fiance is in school still and her parents are paying the interest, but when we get married I'll be inheriting about 180k in student loans. The bank I work for pays decently, but its a bloody miserable place to be. I've almost walked out 2 or 3 times, and I'm applying elsewhere. The only reason I haven't put my two weeks in yet is that I fear I'll be between jobs for too long. Bills to pay, rent, etc. One something else comes around I'll be out of this place faster than a speeding bullet.

Chuck TX
11-27-2012, 18:06
Assuming he is retired military, or a retired test pilot for Lockheed or NASA, what has that got to do with his spouse passing away suddenly after his retirement or his current retirement situation?

I'm confused. Educate me.

I reckon it was the part where M2's job was dangerous enough that he didn't expect to live to retirement that peeked his interest in his occupation.

XDRoX
11-27-2012, 18:15
I think everyone's been effected somewhat right? Maybe not as directly or harshly as some though.

I consider myself very lucky. I'm a tenured teacher who's pretty high up the seniority list, so I'm fine. Still getting raises every year full benefits.

I did purposely choose a career that I knew would have good benefits and job security, yet I still feel very lucky and thankful.

Glock20 10mm
11-27-2012, 18:20
Yup... haven't seen a pay raise in 5 years even though I get top grade evaluations that warrant one. And the cost of living hasn't gone down (inflation to the destruction!) so my check goes even less than before. Only reason I am keeping above water is the fact we have our own garden and small farm to provide the majority of our food.

Also can't find a job out of state as it's a tight market with a lot of competition.

jakebrake
11-27-2012, 18:21
in the past year, wife has been laid off, i've lost about 8K in hours cuts, and another year of no pay raises.

yeah. it has.

Diesel_Bomber
11-27-2012, 18:23
Flipping houses has in some respects gotten much easier. People are willing to accept a LOT less for their house just to get out from under it. I'm happy selling it for the current reduced market rate when I'm paying half that for the property.

Before I get pounced on for "taking advantage of people in their time of need", I am offering these people a MUCH better deal than the bank would before foreclosing on their loan. I do not force anyone to accept my offers, they do so out of their own free will. Sell the house themselves? In most cases they simply do not have the time for someone to go through what is now a lengthy loan approval process, and for the bank to have a valuation done on a property.

I can write them a check on the spot, I don't need anyone else's permission.

Dogbite
11-27-2012, 18:25
Yes. When the economy first took a nose dive, I lost my job. I was an Operations Manager. After seven months, I ended up waiting tables. I waited tables untill I got into the position I am in now(another management position). I make roughly half what I used to make. It was a huge blow, but we press on. Almost every house around ours has went back to the bank, and then sold again for much less. When I drive through two small towns near my place, there are countless businesses that have went out, and not been replaced, or been replaced several times with others that failed. Yeah it has hit this area very hard(metro Atlanta).

HexHead
11-27-2012, 18:47
My income is down about half from what it was in 2007-2008. I expect it will be less next year.

oldgraywolf
11-27-2012, 19:02
My wife had a secure job at a CPA firm but didn't want into the partnership due to the corporate culture there (the two senior partners are very poor managers of people). She saw a need for a CPA who would serve small and startup businesses at lower rates and with more personal attention to their individual needs, including training in how to manage their own books. She had to teach at the local junior college on the side for a while to supplement her income (didn't need to, her choice) but her business plan/niche identification definitely hit a need and she's busy as hell.

She also undercuts the local chain tax joints and is developing that clientele, too. She's working for less than a traditional CPA, but enjoying it a _lot_ more and is happy to be making life a little easier for people who can use the savings. Even in a lousy economy, there's room for people with ideas.

chadster1
11-27-2012, 19:10
I am having my best year ever. Sales are up over 10% from last year.

JMS
11-27-2012, 19:24
I work for the federal government and wife is a nurse so we haven't had to loose sleep over job security, however seeing the reality around us we really watch every penny.

DoubleWide
11-27-2012, 19:24
Since 2001, I don't feel like I've been affected. My parents are retired. My sister has slowly gotten better paying jobs. I lost my job to outsourcing, but I took a job with the outsourcing company for better pay. Plenty of years where I haven't received a raise, but don't rely on or expect it. I've trimmed some expenses, tried to stay debt-free-ish, and keep some money in the bank.

Reading this thread makes me want to start stocking the shelves though.

LASTRESORT20
11-27-2012, 19:47
Myself and Family have been Blessed for the last few years...I dont have a boss or someone to "judge" my performance daily...*but I work hard...I am my own critique ...House`s/car`s are paid for....we have no debt...besides the regular basic bills.

My area in general is somewhat like many other...loss of jobs/lay-offs and people trying to survive....Economy, housing not so hot....

I see it in many peoples faces and in their actions....we have some friends that are going through some very hard times right now...

The way "things" in general... are going....there is a possibility for all to be in dire-straits....when the money stops...or loses value in a big way.....

Good luck to all of us.

series1811
11-28-2012, 07:10

There are some businesses that are making more now. My girlfriend's sister and her husband own a car repair business. They are making money hand over foot as people are bringing in their older cars and repairing them rather than buying new ones.

Car repair is a great business for a bad economy.

CAcop
11-28-2012, 07:34

We are up business but down headcount. That is one thing that is different about government service. When the people need you the most is the time they can't (or won't) pay for it.

M&P15T
11-28-2012, 07:40
Hugely.....absolutely hugely.

I lost two careers and two homes in Michigan. It got so bad, I had to move to NoVa to find employment.

bmoore
11-28-2012, 08:53
I think everyone's been effected somewhat right? Maybe not as directly or harshly as some though.

I consider myself very lucky. I'm a tenured teacher who's pretty high up the seniority list, so I'm fine. Still getting raises every year full benefits.

I did purposely choose a career that I knew would have good benefits and job security, yet I still feel very lucky and thankful.

Good for you guys, don't let anyones BS fool you. You folks deserve it.

eyelikeglasses
11-28-2012, 14:19
Yes. I now work at a LGS part time. It's been great.

amazon
11-28-2012, 14:31
sure has - not from loss of employment - but from how this envornment effects my employer. Do more with fewer people. Previous pay freeze. Tiny (2%) raises. More and more gutting of our health plan (pay more/get less). Just keep getting squeezed.

Cost of living keeps going up. 401k's suffer. Had a pension - they stopped funding it.

I know there are folks who would take my job in a heartbeat. I'm glad to be working. But it's years of frustration and stress now from this "economy".

GEN3
11-28-2012, 22:50
The economy has bent me over something fierce. I'm currently laid off right now with a "slight" possibility of getting hired back if business picks up. This is the second time I've been laid-off in three years. The first time was for almost a year. I'm currently trying to get money to go back to school but contrary to popular belief the government doesn't just give it to you. I have to go to weekly workshops and take a test to become eligible for grant money. I'm thinking of going back for computer networking to become a network admin but I'm not sure if I'm wasting my time in the computer field anymore. On top of it my younger sister dropped out of college and didn't even make it one semester. About 4 years ago she bull*****ted her way to her current job and makes really good money. She has her own house and gets to travel the world. I'm happy for her but it really makes me feel like a failure.

DanaT
11-28-2012, 23:33
The new employer is much more stable and the pay is better. The only issue is that it is 285 miles from home, and the time to sell our current home is measured in years, not months. So I commute home every two weeks. That is tough on the whole family. But I have a good job, the bills are paid, and it could be a heck of a lot worse.

I am kind of in the same boat. My employer is 5000 + miles from my house. The good news, hopefully, by summer I will be near home almost full time.

But actually, the poor economy has treated me very well.

I left a job in the USA about 6 months before everything crashed. I took my money out of an employer 401(k) in May 2008 and didnt re-invest it right away (this was due to laziness). So i never lost money. When it the market was low I put the money back in so I got gains.

I took a job in Switzerland. I was paid in Swiss Francs. One of the years, the dollar dropped almost 30% against the Franc. When I got paid lets say 100CHF and that was worth $80, and 6 months later I still got paid 100CHF, but now that is worth $110, that really helps. Also Swiss wages are very high.

Some of mine was timing/luck. I was fed up with the US employer when they asked me to do something unethical. I refused. That was a career limiting/ending move with them.

DanaT
11-28-2012, 23:37
We are up business but down headcount. That is one thing that is different about government service. When the people need you the most is the time they can't (or won't) pay for it.

Same for private sector. When a company really needs financial help, they are much less likely to get it.

Governments budget poorly. Just because you had $X revenue last year doesnt mean $X+y next year. You actually have to estimate economic conditions and adjust before they get you. Govt seems to think if they dont have enough money, they should just be able to ask for more.

When people are our of money, the govt doesnt get from them

JimBianchi
11-28-2012, 23:51
After I retired from active duty in 2002 started to run my own photography business full time. (part timer for 15 years before)

My wife and I have lived nearly debt free for 10yrs now, only a mortgage, and it's very cheap, cheaper than rent. We never bought into the "refi cash out" fever in 2005 and 2006, thank God. (I could have refied $150K cash out at one time! Now I am underwater $50K!)

When the economy took a dive in the fourth quarter of 2008 I had over $20K booked for December jobs.

October of 2008 I got calls from Harrah's and Cox Comm cancelling everything.

My smaller clients did the same and by Dec 2008 I had zero on the books for holiday parties and corporate event, a first time ever.

But it was money not spent, mostly saving for a newer truck and retirement funds. Supplies were mostly bought a week prior to events, after a deposit was collected. So I was lucky not to have thousands of dollars in printing supplies tying up my cash.

I am still driving that same truck today, wife's car is now 15yrs old and business has only picked up slightly, and that is only because of ONE client, not the 20 or so I usually deal with on a regular basis.

So all my eggs are currently in one basket for my business, not a position I like at all.

But we cut spending way back in 2009, again in 2010 and now shop at thrift stores for nearly everything, regularly. Our daughter is 7 and being raised to be frugal, and she is a smart kid, not raising a stink when her friends have iPads and three game consoles (and a bankruptcy and live pay check to pay check!) Cash is king and she knows it. She has saved all her gift and chore money for two years, something like $180, she tell us she is saving for college!

We've been lucky and only had to dip into saving a few times. And my gun-fund is now solely based on what I can sell on ebay and craigslist. Made about $2k this year, clear profit. Replaced some savings and bought my wife an M4 and me M500.

It's funny, as my health took a dip (back is still bad, but I have a new hip now and carpel tunnel surgery a few months ago) business was really slow and I only had to sub-out a few small jobs, making little, but keeping clients happy, for the future.

Now that I am on the mend (and fatter, almost up 30lbs! YIKES) business is up, but with one client. He's been hiring me for 13yrs and every time I think of calling it quits and selling all my gear, he makes it worth my while to stay a little longer. As long as I am nearly debt free and can walk, I do it.

Our 1999 to 2008 income average was $150K, with a $186K peak in 2007. 2009 to present is $95K average, with a slight up-tick last year because my wife got a raise. we are doing better than most of our friends, only because we live cheap and still save.

Saving has gone up slightly this year, but not much. But our lifestyles our completely changed.

If I suddenly was 100% booked again, I would hire assistants and work it hard, saving every nickel because I don't want to be like some of my contemporaries, shelping a camera bag around a convention hall or wedding in my 50's and beyond.

If the economy takes another dive, we could float on savings and deeper cuts for the rest of our lives. Our daughter would have to work through community college, but she still go.

Lets hope the Zombies invasion happens before then.

The target practice would be a great stress reliever. (During the good times, I prepped, a lot. I am THAT guy on my street!)

DanaT
11-29-2012, 00:15
On $95k a year, you don't need to shop at thrift stores. That is about double the average household income in USA. At $186k you were top 3-4%.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

CAcop
11-29-2012, 00:29
Same for private sector. When a company really needs financial help, they are much less likely to get it.

Governments budget poorly. Just because you had $X revenue last year doesnt mean $X+y next year. You actually have to estimate economic conditions and adjust before they get you. Govt seems to think if they dont have enough money, they should just be able to ask for more.

If we charged fee for service we would be making more money now than ever. Think lawyers and billable hours.

We are double the calls for service we had when I started 15 years ago. Then people would have to drive home to call 911 or find a payphone. Now they call 911 for a guy walking down the street yelling. That was a call we had last week. An officer spent 20 minutes of his day responding to that call and cheking the area for the guy. 15 years ago nobody would have called us on it. They would have forgotten about it long before they got home.

If we could bill the person who called for the time that officer spent chasing shadows I am certain they would have kept on driving.

For you private sector analogy to work we would have to be able to refuse calls for service due to staffing issues.

Doesn't really matter anyway. I think the model for LE in the future is pretty much something similar to the fire service except for less xbox and washing equipment.

Csv
11-29-2012, 00:30
It has, it could be so much worse. I am thankful that my wife has the job she does, though a very volatile industry right now. I am thankful I have been able to keep my business open and profitable. It isn't as easy as it was several years ago. I am glad our only debt is our mortgage, but I
wish we didn't even have that

Averageman
11-29-2012, 04:49
It could be worse, but it could be a lot better.
I'm a Military retiree, my Tri-Care Prime is paid a year in advance now to take the bite out of what Obama care will do to it.
I work in the Defence Industry and went back to get more company training to increase my knowledge base on other platforms to keep my job in harder times.
I dont see it getting better soon. Now I try and stock up on food and save a bit more cash by reducing some of my expenses.
Paid off everything but the house and my shop and only owe 2 K on my shop now. When I retire I intend to run a small business making custom kydex holsters out of my shop.
I still have a kid to help through school, the money I have put aside for him isn't doing much but sitting there.

Dan_ntx
11-29-2012, 06:16
Until Sept of last year I was a partner in a thriving small auto business...5 years in we finally stopped making money and that was the end. I looked for 3 months before going to work where I am today, a very large, very corporate version of what I used to do...I am very fortunate and realize that every day. My former business should not have failed, we had weathered 2008 and 2009, two very tough years in the car business...I think 2011 was just tougher locally.

series1811
11-29-2012, 07:05

Government operates so far from reality with budgeting, it's hard to explain. When I was with a federal agency I worked at for many years, I would occassionally meet with Congressional representatives and staffers about our budget.

It was always carefully scripted by Washington D.C. suits, and we were admonished to never ever ever tell them we could get by with less money, which we could have, with little difficulty. We basiclaly spent money like drunken sailors and the whole system is designed to operate that way to the point that I don't know how you would even begin to change that mentality.

There was a time when just cutting the waste in government would fix our problems. That time, unfortunately, has passed. It still needs to be done, but entitlements and interest on the debt are much bigger problems and bills.

heliguy
11-29-2012, 07:20
No. I'm out of work but on unemployment. Medicaid is ok. Food stamp program is generous. Even the much laughed about obamaphone works fine. Not where I want to be, but I think I could retire to this....

Chesafreak
11-29-2012, 07:52
No, the economy hasn't affected me at all.

I can't say its due to luck. I made all the right decisions over the past 24 years and did a lot of career planning.

I was in Aviation Electrical/Electronics in the Navy. I never wanted to make it a career but at the end of many of my enlistments the economy was in the crapper and I had a growing family so I stayed put. Now I'm drawing retirement pay and benefits.

Years before I retired from the Navy I started looking at what jobs were likely to be outsourced or negatively affected by a bad economy. I fell in love with computer technology and got my degree in IT. When I retired from the Navy, I had three job offers which I put a lot of thought into choosing. The economy had just started to tank, so I thought that the job offer from LG Electronics (consumer electronics repair) and Robert Half Technology (IT Recruiter) would be most likely to be affected by the economy. I chose the job offer to work in IT for a large law firm which hasn't really been affected by the economy except for a few lost secretarial and support jobs.

I don't feel lucky, I feel like I did a good job in making the choices I made years ago and accomplishing most of the goals I set for myself. Today I'm still career planning and keeping up with what's in demand in my career field and trying to judge what direction the IT job marking is moving by reading career related journals and websites. I have always been very proactive in my career choices. Even in the Navy I did a lot of research into job openings and often managed to land jobs that weren't even listed as available due to research and networking. Being proactive often makes the difference between making your own choices or having them made for you.

I do feel like I'm skating on thin ice. My divorce after 21 years of marriage left me in debt with bad credit and very little savings. If I were to lose my job, I don't have enough savings to get through one month.

I feel for those affected. Hang in there, guys.

Chesafreak
11-29-2012, 08:01
I'm a Military retiree, my Tri-Care Prime is paid a year in advance now to take the bite out of what Obama care will do to it.

According to Tricare's website, Tricare benefits will not be affected by Obama care.

Steel Head
11-29-2012, 08:31
Yes.
I'm in construction and have had some very tough years since 2008.
This year has been pretty strong and it looks like even the winter will be busy.
If I'd have had house or car payments I would have had lost them.

Bigpoppie50
11-29-2012, 08:33
The economy has not really affected my standard of living, I am retired and have be blessed.

nikerret
11-29-2012, 08:41
I graduated college in 2006 so from my point of view this is really the only type of economy I know in my adult working life.

I am in the same boat. I started my career in 2008; rocky first year due to personal decisions/consequences, recovered just in time for the economy to kick what was left of my nuts.
I didn't realize it, at the time, but I do, now. At the time, I thought I was on top of the world. If I would have done the same thing, but twenty years earlier, I would have been twice as well off.

yes.

over the last 4 years, I've seen "raises" totalling 2.25 percent. (that's not YEARLY raises...that's TOTAL over four years). meanwhile, my contribution for health insurance went up and we all know inflation is way above what .gov claims. I drive a ten year old vehicle.

but...I still have a decent job, so I'm grateful for that.

^I am also in this boat. Except, I have only had a 2% raise. For some reason, the raises given to the County can't seem to make it to employees outside the County Human Resources offices.

Health insurance has gone up the last three years, a year and a half ago, we lost a lot of coverage for higher premiums and higher deductables. Then, I ended up in the hospital for a few days-still paying on that (with the old insurane, I would have only been responsible for $1,000).

My car is a 1999 model and my motorcycle is a 2003.

guns54
11-29-2012, 09:14
Yes. But we do the best we can do, We have 2 grandsons and they come first. I never prayed as much as i do now that things get better for every one.Have a safe day. guns54.

JimBianchi
11-29-2012, 09:57
On $95k a year, you don't need to shop at thrift stores. That is about double the average household income in USA. At $186k you were top 3-4%.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

It was a shock to loose half our income. Our adjustment was to try and still save by bargain shopping, and it works. The extra money was largely going towards retirement.

I am pushing 50 and, realistically, I am not in great health, I know that, the doctors know it. 10 years of saving that much money meant I could have looked at retirement at 55. Now if stop working or we take another big hit, we are not set and my family has a smaller cushion in case of disaster.

Dying is not a the biggest disaster we face. I have life insurance for that. Living in a wheelchair with full time care is. 6 years ago I was on a walker and a back brace, taking enough pills that the only place to go was a wheelchair and morphine pump.

I got lucky that loosing weight made a huge difference. But spinal cord injuries don't heal and I am working hard to make sure my family has a comfortable future, without my income.

I know our income level is still $20K the average family income in Las Vegas, and I am blessed to be where I am.

But the lessons of 2008 and 2009 taught me that it can all go away in a blink, so prepare like your life depends of it, because it does.

JMS
11-29-2012, 10:41
It was a shock to loose half our income. Our adjustment was to try and still save by bargain shopping, and it works. The extra money was largely going towards retirement.

Time to sell the rice :supergrin:

Fear Night
11-29-2012, 12:21
It has affected everybody, it just depends to what degree. Rising costs of things like food and gas, including the general decline of the dollar, are things that come to mind that we all face.

As far as jobs go, no, I have not been affected there too badly. In fact, just 7 months ago I took a promotion with another company making over $20k/year more than I was before. The company I was with before cut our 15% bonus to 0% due to the economy, so that definitely hurt. I'm a Software Engineer so we are pretty well protected from these types of downturns when we need to move around. Recruiting firms are always eager to place us in new jobs so they can get their finders fee.

My wife's job has been stable, but she is a Pharmacist, so we are still waiting to see how Obamacare affects her down the road. My wife and I also have plenty of liquid income in case things did turn south, and zero debt except for our mortgage.

vikingsoftpaw
11-29-2012, 19:30
Prior to 2008, I was employed as a screen printer with a custom stamping fabricator. The job/pay wasn't all that great, but I sucked it up, making myself pretty much indispensable and was looking forward to going back to college at some point.

I grew up hearing stories of the Great Depression as they were experienced by parents. Something in the 'air' so to speak, early in 2008. The bailouts and Wall Street collapse set off my red flags. I added unemployment insurance to all of my credit cards. I was covered for 18 months of minimum payments.

We were still working 50 hours a week in 4th quarter of 2008. Within one month of Obama election, it was like someone turned off a faucet. Orders stopped coming in and quoted for new jobs were few and far between. I was pink slipped 21/1/08.

I was instructed to call back and check in when spring came around. I did, only to discover that many of the upper level people bought it also. The company once employed 85+ people in production, was down to 15.

I spent the next two and a half years looking for employment. With all of the resumes, CV's, job applications and emails I sent out, I didn't get an response until March of 2011. I finally found luck with an architectural sign company in May, replacing someone that retired. Never did I think I'd spend two years looking for a non-existent job.

85% of my toys are gone, sold trying to keep a roof over my head and keep eating. I defaulted on a few credit cards, tapped out savings. I will spend many years digging myself out of debt.

I still observe many vacant storefronts from closed businesses and factories with for lease signs.

I've taken Macro&Micro Economics and Price Theory in College. Anybody that's taken Macro can damn well tell you what the official unemployment rate is and what the real rate is. It is more like 16% factoring in all of the underemployed people, only finding PT jobs.

Fox184
11-29-2012, 20:51
Prior to 2008, I was employed as a screen printer with a custom stamping fabricator. The job/pay wasn't all that great, but I sucked it up, making myself pretty much indispensable and was looking forward to going back to college at some point.

I grew up hearing stories of the Great Depression as they were experienced by parents. Something in the 'air' so to speak, early in 2008. The bailouts and Wall Street collapse set off my red flags. I added unemployment insurance to all of my credit cards. I was covered for 18 months of minimum payments.

We were still working 50 hours a week in 4th quarter of 2008. Within one month of Obama election, it was like someone turned off a faucet. Orders stopped coming in and quoted for new jobs were few and far between. I was pink slipped 21/1/08.

I was instructed to call back and check in when spring came around. I did, only to discover that many of the upper level people bought it also. The company once employed 85+ people in production, was down to 15.

I spent the next two and a half years looking for employment. With all of the resumes, CV's, job applications and emails I sent out, I didn't get an response until March of 2011. I finally found luck with an architectural sign company in May, replacing someone that retired. Never did I think I'd spend two years looking for a non-existent job.

85% of my toys are gone, sold trying to keep a roof over my head and keep eating. I defaulted on a few credit cards, tapped out savings. I will spend many years digging myself out of debt.

I still observe many vacant storefronts from closed businesses and factories with for lease signs.

I've taken Macro&Micro Economics and Price Theory in College. Anybody that's taken Macro can damn well tell you what the official unemployment rate is and what the real rate is. It is more like 16% factoring in all of the underemployed people, only finding PT jobs.

.......and yet Obama was reelected.

Almost a month later and I still do not understand what America has come too. I haven't received a raise going on 5 years, yet my insurance has increased (will increase more next year), retirement contribution went up, and the price of groceries, gas, etc. has increased. The future doesn't look too bright, and I really think my (our) children are going to have it harder than generations since the Great Depression.

The pathetic government cannot pass a damn budget and are basically holding the middle class hostage for this fiscal cliff. I am sick of all these established politicians. They can all GFTS..........:steamed:

mike from st pe
11-30-2012, 19:17
Yes in the worst way. :crying:

certifiedfunds
11-30-2012, 20:05
No but Obamacare is starting to.

Nestor
11-30-2012, 20:17
Of course.
Constantly since 2001.
I left the Army and the official rate of unemployment in Poland was 33% (real was more like 40%).
Literally no jobs and I couldn't find any job for nearly 2 years.
Something here, something there...not enough to pay the bills.
Started my own company out of despair (I'm not great businessman).
After 6 years of struggling we immigrated to Canada, just to see the country going into recession.
4 years later I'm still doing what I have to, but at least my wife graduated from nursing and is starting her new job as the community nurse this, coming monday.
Looks like I may have a chance to finally find something better soon, but the last 11 years were not the best in terms of finances for us.
However, I'm not going to worry - we love each other, enjoy a good health and beautiful scenery.
This is the most important thing for us anyway.
Life is good :wavey:

DanaT
12-01-2012, 07:30
If we charged fee for service we would be making more money now than ever. Think lawyers and billable hours.

We are double the calls for service we had when I started 15 years ago. Then people would have to drive home to call 911 or find a payphone. Now they call 911 for a guy walking down the street yelling. That was a call we had last week. An officer spent 20 minutes of his day responding to that call and cheking the area for the guy. 15 years ago nobody would have called us on it. They would have forgotten about it long before they got home.

If we could bill the person who called for the time that officer spent chasing shadows I am certain they would have kept on driving.

For you private sector analogy to work we would have to be able to refuse calls for service due to staffing issues.

Doesn't really matter anyway. I think the model for LE in the future is pretty much something similar to the fire service except for less xbox and washing equipment.

1st, not all govt spending is LEO. If that is important, then budgets other places need cut. There is only so much money so it has to be decided what is most important to spend it on. Maybe the public golf course doesnt need so much funding? Etc. Etc.

I would ask if the "call for everything" syndrome you are describing is a cultural issue that LEO have added to? I have seen commercials where its everybody's responsibility to call if they suspect terrorism. There is a law for everything. Some tot peeing in the front yard, LEO get involved. I think it is a self feeding circle. People have be so dependent on someone else for EVERYTHING in their lives. Then other people get power from giving them everything (these people being politicians). Shampoo rinse repeat. So long as govt is supposed to take care of every aspect of life for people, we will have budget issues.

Averageman
12-01-2012, 07:51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averagemanhttp://www.glocktalk.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19680556#post19680556)

According to Tricare's website, Tricare benefits will not be affected by Obama care.
Thats not exactly the truth, Tri-Care enrollment fees will as much as quadruple for some folks. The President can say what he likes about what the cause of that is, but the fact is it has happened. The timing I'm sure has nothing to do with it.
Riiiiight.

certifiedfunds
12-01-2012, 08:17

You mean no work, no pay? Pay for measurable results only? Should the public have competing police forces? Agency that solves the crime gets paid? How about paying for a drop in crime rate?

Otherwise why should that citizen get a bill for a service they're already paying through the nose for?

And be required to produce a profit by adding to GDP.

Chesafreak
12-01-2012, 09:36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averagemanhttp://www.glocktalk.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19680556#post19680556)

Thats not exactly the truth, Tri-Care enrollment fees will as much as quadruple for some folks. The President can say what he likes about what the cause of that is, but the fact is it has happened. The timing I'm sure has nothing to do with it.
Riiiiight.

Can you quote a source on that? I know that Pres. Obama tried to raise the Tricare enrollment fees, but congress shot him down.

Besides, I use Tricare Standard, which has no enrollment fees vs. Prime. I use medical reimbursement from my employer's flex benefits plan to get reimbursed for deductibles.

Averageman
12-01-2012, 13:54
What he proposed
http://www.vmwusa.org/index.php/component/content/article/3-newsflash/1117-tricare-increases
What Happend
http://www.armytimes.com/news/2012/05/military-senate-panel-kills-tricare-fee-hikes-052412w/
Sorry I have been out of the Net for the last 4 months, aparently he tried to do so but was shot down, however it would appear that it will be tried again soon.

CAcop
12-01-2012, 14:15
1st, not all govt spending is LEO. If that is important, then budgets other places need cut. There is only so much money so it has to be decided what is most important to spend it on. Maybe the public golf course doesnt need so much funding? Etc. Etc.

I would ask if the "call for everything" syndrome you are describing is a cultural issue that LEO have added to? I have seen commercials where its everybody's responsibility to call if they suspect terrorism. There is a law for everything. Some tot peeing in the front yard, LEO get involved. I think it is a self feeding circle. People have be so dependent on someone else for EVERYTHING in their lives. Then other people get power from giving them everything (these people being politicians). Shampoo rinse repeat. So long as govt is supposed to take care of every aspect of life for people, we will have budget issues.

Thanks for the reminder. We have a city owned golf course that is just bleeding money. I don't think it has turned a profit in years. It is probably why we have been told the city can never declare bankruptcy because that a other land can be sold.

As popular as golf is with great weather all year round I have no idea how they can be losing money. My only guess is that since the weather could be good enough to play in it costs money to keep it running where in colder climates once the snow hits and sticks you can send all the employees home for the season. In effect they are paying say $500K per month to keep it running but in the winter they only take in $100K per month. Summer maybe they come out ahead by $100K per month but it cannot make up the lost money from the winter.

Our hotels are the same way. In the summer a room can go for $150 a night but in the winter it goes for $50 a night. A lot of homeless live in our hotels in the winter due to the cost of an apartment. That and the city hands out vouchers for hotel stays. They pay the hotels to stay in business due to the lack of tourists in the winter.

Now I am beginning to understand the artist colony the city bult isn't the big budget killer I thought it was.

Hef
12-01-2012, 14:49
I make less than half of what I did 2 years ago. My wife stays home with our 2 girls, so it's all on me. I have weeks where I can't take a check because there's not enough money. All my bills are late to some degree.

Lately I have been on a spree to cut costs. I have fired a few people and not replaced them. I've cut out OT. I beat down the subs and work the vendors. I turn the lights out whenever possible and really watch the thermostat too. Anything to save money.

bmoore
12-01-2012, 16:49

I could not agree with you more. I am convinced a bunch of it is the social media websites. People HAVE TO HAVE DRAMA. "oh my god rachel I just had to call 911 because I saw a bum sleeping" "Oh my god guess what everybody I just had to call 911 becuase someone had a flat tire and I thought they may be hurt". "I have to post on facebook that my 2 year old got a jelly bean stuck in her ear and we had to call 911 and the Fire dept came".

Same boat with our dept, hundreds of more calls every year and less pay. Make it work I guess. Last year we turned out around 11,500 calls and I am eager to see what 2012 will be. We ran 15 yesterday with 6 after midnight and that is getting to be routine for our medic unit and engine.

Restless28
12-01-2012, 16:53
Our government is working against us. That should be obvious now. The goal is to turn us into Europe.

Kingarthurhk
12-01-2012, 16:56
Yes, for three years I have been financing unemployment, roads, and student loans as a personal bankroll for the House.

Glock&KimberLady
12-01-2012, 17:18
Mainly food increases have affected us, gas prices, etc.

I spend $450-$500 every two weeks on groceries. That's for a family of six, two of whom are a 14 year old boy and a 9 year old girl who eat GOBS of food. (And 3 dogs and a cat). I don't know where they put it as they are awesomely fit, but my Christ, can they eat.

Insurance changes from no-deductible 80-20 EPO to $700 deductible 80-20 EPO next year...with the payment going up about $100 a month. Insurance costs rose 4% for Mr. GKL's employer (according to his HR clown), but we are seeing a ~30% increase in payment per check. :steamed:

I can say if they delete the mortgage deduction, we're screwed on taxes fo sho. Mr. GKL makes too much $$$ according to the feds to get the full child deduction, so that's out. As a matter of fact, a lot of deductions that folks get, we don't. Oh well.

Basically looking to see where we can cut corners, and I can, but for some, it's a lot more dire than that (like my 64 year old mother who owns her own business).

Rick C
12-01-2012, 17:21
Of course it has......

sawgrass
12-01-2012, 20:13
The company I work for currently has told us there will be a reduction near the end of the year. Scares me to death as I'm one of the new guys.

I'm the only one in my house now as I'm divorced. If I get let go I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

I am an HVAC tech and this time of year jobs are hard to come by during the winter. I've gone back to college this year for Radiology because I'm worried about job security in the HVAC field. This is my 2nd job this year due to layoffs from the economy. Thats the reason I decided to go into the medical field in radiology.

Hopefully when I finish my degree I can get a decent job with a future that might be a bit more stable.

You need to move. I'm in the Midwest and the need for HVAC techs is great! The local gas utility wants them, the Service Pipefitter's union wants them, maintenance companies want them, the general requirement is that they have a two year technical college degree. The really good guys who make it into the union go to night school for four more years for additional training while working during the day.

So far I personally have not been terribly effected by the economy. Sold a house lower than expected but bought a house lower than expected. My BIL and Sister own a remodeling company. Things are a little tighter in new construction but remodeling is higher as more folks choose to remain in their homes.

I went to Target this am and it was packed. I stopped by the grocery store and it was packed. Four of us went to Outback for dinner and had to wait nearly an hour, as it was packed.

Kevin108
12-01-2012, 20:14
Last I checked, there were like 2 dozen houses for sale in our small neighborhood. I haven't had a raise since 2008. We had a 7-day furlough in 2009. Insurance and COL have gone up every year so at this point it would take a decent raise just to catch up.

In one way or another, the economy has affected nearly everyone.

(A note for the OP - http://www.diffen.com/difference/Affected_vs_Effected) :fred:

certifiedfunds
12-01-2012, 21:50
I can say if they delete the mortgage deduction, we're screwed on taxes fo sho. Mr. GKL makes too much $$$ according to the feds to get the full child deduction, so that's out. As a matter of fact, a lot of deductions that folks get, we don't. Oh well.

I'm sorry ma'am but you are clearly mistaken and haven't been paying attention. You and Mr. GKL have tax loopholes that you take advantage of to keep your tax rate artificially low. You aren't paying your fair share. If the gobs of money you have left over after taxes isn't enough Mr. GKL just needs to work harder.

callihan_44
12-01-2012, 22:16
My company has managed to weather the storm so far But we are not growing at all. Ive found a more stable company in another state so I put my house up for sale and planning on moving. It's a huge risk but Im tired of worrying about it.....

w30olds
12-02-2012, 21:22
Last I checked, there were like 2 dozen houses for sale in our small neighborhood. I haven't had a raise since 2008. We had a 7-day furlough in 2009. Insurance and COL have gone up every year so at this point it would take a decent raise just to catch up.

In one way or another, the economy has affected nearly everyone.

(A note for the OP - http://www.diffen.com/difference/Affected_vs_Effected) :fred:

Sorry. Should have used Affected :-)

Kevin108
12-02-2012, 22:29
Happens to the best of us. I don't know what my deal is lately as I've never had this issue before but I keep putting apostrophes in plural words like a dumbass. :pjmn:

NEOH212
12-02-2012, 22:53
Has the economy effected you personally?

Unless someone is completely on the system or filthy rich, I don't see how it couldn't have.

paulbow
12-02-2012, 23:19
In a word, YES.

I graduated college in December of 2007 and moved to Arizona. To make a long story short we recently moved back home to Nebraska and are basically living like college students to get by.

I'd love to know why people my age seem to think Obama has their best interests in mind and blindly vote for the fool. Maybe the social issues are more important to the younger generation. :dunno:

bamacisa
12-03-2012, 18:17
I am retired and live on fixed income. Our home is paid for and the only debt that i have is a truck payment. I have a good retirement income but I see my purchasing power decrease due to inflation (especially grocery prices) We really watch what we spend, so we should be okey.