Congressman: Walmart is the largest recipient of public aid in the country [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Congressman: Walmart is the largest recipient of public aid in the country

IndianaMatt
11-27-2012, 12:39
Step 1: Open up world's largest retail chain selling crappy Chinese goods.

Step 2: Pay your employees poverty-level wages and offer zero benefits.

Step 3: Said employees will depend on public aid and social welfare for medical services, etc. Taxpayers foot the bill! Brilliant!

Step 4: PROFIT

Link: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/11/27/grayson-walmart-is-the-largest-recipient-of-public-aid-in-the-country/

nmk
11-27-2012, 12:44

Step 3: Said employees will depend on public aid and social welfare for medical services, etc. Taxpayers foot the bill! Brilliant!

Link: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/11/27/grayson-walmart-is-the-largest-recipient-of-public-aid-in-the-country/

As a graduate student I make a few bucks more than an ENTRY level Walmart associate. I live pretty well. Now that I know I live in poverty, I'm sad. Thanks a bunch.

IndianaMatt
11-27-2012, 12:50
As a graduate student I make a few bucks more than an ENTRY level Walmart associate. I live pretty well. Now that I know I live in poverty, I'm sad. Thanks a bunch.

What you're saying doesn't make any sense. If you make more than the poverty level, then you do not live at the poverty level.

I'm guessing you didn't obtain a degree in math.

Fred Hansen
11-27-2012, 12:51
I take it you found your dog?

badge315
11-27-2012, 12:52
The title of this thread is an abject lie; Wal-Mart receives no public aid. Perhaps some of their employees do, but one of my kids works at a Wal-Mart distribution center and he makes a decent living. Guess I better go tell him how evil his employer is. :upeyes:

nmk
11-27-2012, 12:53
What you're saying doesn't make any sense. If you make more than the poverty level, then you do not live at the poverty level.

I'm guessing you didn't obtain a degree in math.

You're cute.

So which ones live in poverty? How much do they make? Why can't they make ends meet?

fnfalman
11-27-2012, 12:56

Don't the states and the Feds determine minimum wages? Wages at which they deem is liveable off?

As far as benefits go, do all employers offer benefits?

Duh!!! Maybe Wally World and other employers be in LOSS bussiness?

nmk
11-27-2012, 12:56
What EXACTLY are poverty level wages?

ETA: I just looked it up. I'll let you break the news to everyone.

Adjuster
11-27-2012, 12:57
Should a WalMart associate make $50,000.00 a year with full benefits? No they should make minimum wage with zero benefits. WalMart bashers are a joke, well at least in the context of this bashing.

/

Detectorist
11-27-2012, 12:59

1 and 2 are false. Walmart did not start out by selling Chinese goods. Many Walmart employees receive various types of benefits.

I don't know why folks hate Walmart so much.

fnfalman
11-27-2012, 13:00

Because they're liberal democRAT commie pinkos who hate capitalism and hate America.

ColdSteelNail
11-27-2012, 13:01
Unfortunately many retailers are beginning to follow the Wal-Mart model. The bottom line is more important to Wal-Mart than employee well being. The union movement going on at Wal-Mart may grow. Right now they have no incentive to change anything.

Fear Night
11-27-2012, 13:05
So let's just nip this in the bud and have equal wages all around. The Walmart cashier will make the same as the Accountant, who makes the same as the Engineer, who makes the same as the Spinal Surgeon. No more complaining, right?

nmk
11-27-2012, 13:06
I may have been mistaken. Are we supposed to rely on data or emotions for this thread?

aplcr0331
11-27-2012, 13:06

It's signalling. We all do it. Right now Matt is signalling that he has read all the talking points, approves of the use of snark and oh so clever nerd meme's for "cool" points, and is now in with the "in" crowd.

Walmart bashing is heating up after the failed Black Friday (Thursday) "walkouts". Now all the cool people are posting about welfare, China, rich white republican business owners holding down the poor people, no benefits, and of course, racism. Somewhere the prime directive must be met.

Nothing more than letting others know that "we" know what they "know". Kind of like wearing the same shirt your friends did while you were in high school.

Signalling.

devildog2067
11-27-2012, 13:07
As a graduate student I make a few bucks more than an ENTRY level Walmart associate. I live pretty well.
No kidding--I was divorced paying child support on two kids, and pay rent on apartments in two countries, on my grad school stipend and what I could make on the side and I did ok.

devildog2067
11-27-2012, 13:09
Unfortunately many retailers are beginning to follow the Wal-Mart model. The bottom line is more important to Wal-Mart than employee well being.

Damn right it is.

Employee well being SHOULD matter--because happy employees improve the bottom line, and not for any other reason.

The company I work for does a lot of pro bono work, does a lot of social impact work, and does a lot to take care of its employees.

Why? Ultimately, because it's good for business. That's the only valid reason to do so.

aplcr0331
11-27-2012, 13:11
I may have been mistaken. Are we supposed to rely on data or emotions for this thread?

Another prime directive, and yes you are confused-here's how it works; Data that supports your emotional arguement is super duper swagalicious good. Data that questions your emotional beliefs (like crime statistics that show minority crime rates or minority educational achievement-excluding Asians of course they're not really a minority to worry about except when they vote democrat and damn them for wrecking the curve!) can be dismissed out hand.

Another example. Evolution = totally awesome science dude. Human Biodiversity = Racism of the highest order you white male mysoginistic homophobe.

Try to keep up please.

Fear Night
11-27-2012, 13:11
Shame on you for actually living within your means. Being an American means we have a RIGHT to lots of cool stuff like huge houses, luxury cars, and big screen TV's - even if we have to go into massive amounts of debt to get them.

Z71bill
11-27-2012, 13:12
Start your own company -

Step 1: Open up world's largest retail chain selling high quality high priced goods.

Step 2: Pay your employees $50,000 salaries and offer 100% company paid health care, pension, vacation, SICK PAY:cool: and just extra cash for no reason benefits.

Step 3: Said employees not depend on public aid and social welfare for medical services, etc.

Step 4: Go out of business in 15 minutes,lose your investment and go bankrupt.

Step 5: Employees end up on welfare and SO DO YOU. :tongueout:

fnfalman
11-27-2012, 13:13
Unfortunately many retailers are beginning to follow the Wal-Mart model. The bottom line is more important to Wal-Mart than employee well being. The union movement going on at Wal-Mart may grow. Right now they have no incentive to change anything.

I can't wait until Wal-Mart is unionized so that I can pay $100 for a plastic trash can made in China.:upeyes:

nmk
11-27-2012, 13:18
Will the OP ever come back to tell us how much he thinks minimum wage should be?

VinnieD
11-27-2012, 13:19
As someone who actually worked at Walmart for a while I can tell you that the pay actually is decent for retail, and the benefits are actually pretty nice. There's a standard $0.40/hr raise each year. The reason most of the employees are miserable is the general hostility they're treated with by both management and the employees, also a good deal of corruption.

The standard raise isn't supposed to be standard for instance, it's supposed to be performance based, however it's pretty much impossible to get an above average performance rating because the management who do evaluations are pressured to keep the overhead low. This leads to most employees doing the bare minimum rather than work harder. Promotions are always a case of who you know, including relatives of upper middle management being hired right into managerial positions. Lastly understaffing is a major problem. Again with management under pressure to raise profits, they do so by constantly cutting staff, or cutting hours, leaving insufficient manpower to meet demands. This is why it takes so long to buy ammo. Sporting goods is usually left unmanned when their associates are pulled to other areas.

Most of the actual policies in place aren't so bad really, but the current crop of management from top down are pretty incompetent when it comes to making sure stores have the resources to actually meet the customer's needs, creating a high stress and miserable environment for workers and customers alike.

Steve0853
11-27-2012, 13:26
Get a job at Mom and Pop Hardware store.

See how much above minimum wage you make and see how many benefits you get.

P. S. Mom and Pop Hardware sells the exact same Chinese made stuff off of the same boat. It just costs about 1.5 times what Wal-Mart sells it for.

M2 Carbine
11-27-2012, 13:27
Because they're liberal democRAT commie pinkos who hate capitalism and hate America.
You forgot the WM haters are pro union.

It really pisses the unions off because WM is big enough to tell the democrat backed unions to go **** yourself.

countrygun
11-27-2012, 13:27

You were asleep on the day that they explained that companies exist to make a profit and not to make life cozy for their workers.

Wow, what a shock it must be to you to realize that the company has to make a profit so it can have employees in the first place.

Horrifying to discover that companies do not exist just to give the employees some place to go for a few hours each week.

GRIMLET
11-27-2012, 13:56
If anyone has the info or cares to look it up.... What changes has Walmart made since the death of Sam Walton concerning products made in the USA, employee pay/benefits and their relation to the stockholder share.

I dont know but it would put things into context on way or another.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

M2 Carbine
11-27-2012, 14:15
How about this test of integrity.

If you think Wal Mart selling Chi Com stuff is so terrible, go through your house and garage and throw out everything made in China.

Have fun walking to work naked tomorrow.:supergrin:

countrygun
11-27-2012, 14:18

If you think Wal Mart selling Chi Com stuff is so terrible, go through your house and garage and throw out everything made in China.

And how would he tell us about it if he did?

cgwahl
11-27-2012, 14:19

Especially when Target is just as bad. But they're hip so it's cool.

Kilrain
11-27-2012, 14:20
This threads premise is dumber than the "dogs are people" thread..........

fiasconva
11-27-2012, 14:22
If you don't like Walmart's policies don't shop there. Enough said...

countrygun
11-27-2012, 14:28
This threads premise is dumber than the "dogs are people" thread..........

Amazing how people can twist up a thread title when they want attention, isn't it?

Kilrain
11-27-2012, 14:30
Amazing how people can twist up a thread title when they want attention, isn't it?

Yes, been quite the spate of them here recently it seems. But at least they are amusing..........

czsmithGT
11-27-2012, 14:41
"Speaking to Current TV host Cenk Uygur on Monday’s episode of “The Young Turks,” Grayson called Walmart “the largest recipient of public aid in the country,” saying their low wages force workers to take food stamps, housing assistance and Medicaid just to get by."

Instead of blaming Walmart, why not just eliminate food stamps, housing assistance and Medicaid? Wouldn't that force workers to find better paying jobs to get by?

Also, I missed the part where someone becomes indentured for life to Walmart if they take a job there, preventing them from seeking employment elsewhere.

I think maybe the biggest recipients of public aid are the corrupt lame brains we elect to Congress.

holesinpaper
11-27-2012, 14:52
Just FUD

kirgi08
11-27-2012, 14:52

If you had said Mexico I'da been in trouble.'08. :whistling:

vart
11-27-2012, 14:57

P. S. Mom and Pop Hardware sells the exact same Chinese made stuff off of the same boat. It just costs about 1.5 times what Wal-Mart sells it for.

And why do you think it costs 1.5 times as much as the same thing at Wal-Mart?

aplcr0331
11-27-2012, 14:58
I worked at WalMart back in 2008 when I was laid off. My supervisor was a AA guy and a high school dropout. He had a girfriend and two kids. He recognized that getting that WalMart job was his last chance and he wanted his boy to be proud of him.

He started out as a part-time worker, got up to full time (with benefits, i.e. 401K, health insurance, life insurance, etc.) and worked hard. He had been at the store for two years and was night shift supervisor in charge about 10-15 people. At the store we worked at they paid out quarterly bonuses (around $300-500 every quarter depending) and he told me his salary was almost $35K a year.

Enough to pay for an apartment and have a small car payment. He felt he was on his way and was working his way to one day being a manager. He absolutely loved WalMart.

Works for some people I suppose. Also, when I worked there they offered a military differential pay benefit too. They also have a good program called Acres for America.

This is a pet cause right now and once the hip coolster at your local coffee house slate gawker NYT decides it's time to move on. We'll move on.

Batesmotel
11-27-2012, 15:29
I lived in Arkansas.
I knew some former Walmart executives.
Here is why they left.

Walmart wants to become a full service bank.
The recent addition of a Walmart American Express is a major step.

The plan is to be the place ALL of the welfare checks are spent.

First become a bank
Bank members get special pricing at the store
Everyone will direct deposit their checks

Then they have a one stop shop for everything. In time to include vision, medical, dental, autos and maintenance, and even real-estate and mortgage/rent payments.

czsmithGT
11-27-2012, 15:36
I lived in Arkansas.
Here is why they left.

First become a bank

Then they have a one stop shop for everything. In time to include vision, medical, dental, autos and maintenance, and even real-estate and mortgage/rent payments.

Why did that make them leave? Did they think it was a bad business plan?

concretefuzzynuts
11-27-2012, 15:51
I take it you found your dog?

He must have. Otherwise his concern would be for his pooch not trolling in GT.

fnfalman
11-27-2012, 15:52
I lived in Arkansas.
Here is why they left.

First become a bank

Dammit, what's wrong with Wal-Mart? Don't they know that the shops aren't suppose to make it convenient for the customers?

Batesmotel
11-27-2012, 16:03
Why did that make them leave? Did they think it was a bad business plan?

Much more to it. Walmart has a plan to destroy all other small businesses and eventually be the only retailer anyone can buy from. And to fund it they prey on tax dollars by catering to the welfare customers.

The two guys I knew fairly well couldn't work there any more with a clear conscience.

One went to work for Coke, the other a Gentleman Farmer.

syntaxerrorsix
11-27-2012, 16:11
Much more to it. Walmart has a plan to destroy all other small businesses and eventually be the only retailer anyone can buy from. And to fund it they prey on tax dollars by catering to the welfare customers.

The two guys I knew fairly well couldn't work there any more with a clear conscience.

One went to work for Coke, the other a Gentleman Farmer.

:rofl:

http://www.mrburns.at/images/pinky_and_brain.gif

ray9898
11-27-2012, 16:24
I get sick of this same BS argument about WM promoting poverty. WM is retail, retail composes primarily unskilled labor, unskilled labor is in the minimum wage pay scale with few benefits. It is not a great conspiracy, it is life.

Big Bird
11-27-2012, 16:26
Blah blah blah.... Walmart is the devil.

blah blah blah... Walmart kills babies

blah blah blah...Walmart buys Chinese crap.

Good grief. Its a free country. Don't shop or work there...

The truth is its retail. And like any retail/fast food place you can work you way up if you are worth a crap and you won't if you aren't worth a crap. Retailers LOVE great employees and will pay them what they are worth and reward them with promotions.

You can go to work as a bag boy at Kroger's and if you are good at it they will give you more responsibility and promote you even over Union members. My wife worked there and got picked to run the liquor store after 2 years over the more senior union pukes. Kroger didn't care. They ignored the grievance, paid the union fine and promoted her anyhow. (pissed off the guy working the dairy case...course he didn't know crap about liquor and couldn't tell you the difference between a Cabernet and a Chardonnay).

Walmart ROCKS!

sbhaven
11-27-2012, 16:29

One does not simply open up the worlds largest retail chain. One starts with one retail store and builds their business, over time, into the worlds largest retail chain.

Lost in all the all the complaining about how Walmart treats its workers is the fact that many of those complaining about people being paid low wages will shop at Walmart and similar stores (like Target) because of the store's low prices. If said store was to raise their prices to pay their employees more, they would loose customers who would go elsewhere for lower priced products.
:dunno:

clint curtis
11-27-2012, 16:41
I wonder how many years it will take before Walmart hires workers from China to work over here at their stores. The politicians could be bribed into giving them some sort of tax break for moving here. If the get hurt or sick, maybe it could be set up so that they would be sent back to China. They have plenty of workers and some sort of rotation could be set up. All working regulations do is hold back profits, and everyone knows profits are the American way. Get the government off the back of business. Senator Ron Johnson and Paul Ryan are right, get government off the back of Business.

Bren
11-27-2012, 16:45

Summary: "I'm a left wing corrupt politician who can get some headlines by making an obviously false tabloid style statement, which is great since I rely on stupid people, welfare leaches and left-wing nuts to get elected."

If we fudge the statistics and claim that part-time workers who went from welfare TO Walmart, retired people and high school kids earning extra money, etc., are sole wage earners relying on Walmart for charity, then we can make a big media splash.:upeyes:

Walmart forces its workers to rely on public assitance? I don't recall anybody being required to work at Walmart. I believe any Walmart employee who wants to can quit this minute. Either they are making enough at Walmart, so they have no legitimate complaint, or they can't get a job anywhere else, which means Walmart is paying them a lot more than the $0 they would earn, and they have no legitimate complaint.

If you bought a single line of that story, you are a fool, considering the falsehoods are made obvious within it.

czsmithGT
11-27-2012, 16:45
One does not simply open up the worlds largest retail chain. One starts with one retail store and builds their business, over time, into the worlds largest retail chain.

Lost in all the all the complaining about how Walmart treats its workers is the fact that many of those complaining about people being paid low wages will shop at Walmart and similar stores (like Target) because of the store's low prices. If said store was to raise their prices to pay their employees more, they would loose customers who would go elsewhere for lower priced products.
:dunno:

Yep- If I were as smart as Sam Walton I could have started like this 60 years ago and ruled the world by now. But I'm not.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i59/CzsmithGT/Waltons_Five_and_Dime_store_Bentonville_Arkansas.jpg

jfost11
11-27-2012, 17:45
After two years in a store and 5 1/2 in a DC, I can say that those berating the treatment of WM employees do not know what they're talking about. Want to get written up fast? Work more than 6 hours in a store without clocking out for a meal period. Wow, such slave drivers. Company matched 401K and stock purchase plans, quarterly incentive checks that can add over a dollar per hour for every hour worked that quarter(for merely doing the job your supposed to do and nothing extra), and the fact that the application asks what you will accept for the position. I've seen a women's clothing associate make $12/hr back in '06. If you know what you're doing, you're compensated. I have never needed nor have I met anyone that needed public aid while employed with the company.

People have no idea how hard it is to lose a job with Wal-Mart. Why else do you think employees feel secure enough to strike? Those not used to working are usually upset when they have to. Target had the same sale and you don't hear about their workers crying. That's probably because they would be unemployed if they did. They also sell the same Chinese sourced products and you don't see BS excuses like, "I don't like their policies so I don't shop there" pointed towards them.

jtull7
11-27-2012, 17:50
I have never stepped foot in a Walmart in my life and I never will.

I am not a liberal democRAT commie pinko who hates capitalism and hates America.

I hate Walmart because they sell crap, and because they have driven virtually every small retail operation in America out of business.

But, that is the American way. If the majority of Americans want to buy crap at Walmart, instead of their local mom-and-pop, then so be it. Big box (huge box?) stores will rule.

wrczx3
11-27-2012, 17:50
I worked for Sams Club which is owned by Walmart in the early 90's running the Tire Mount Area and was making $12.90 an hour with benefits and stock options. Looking back, that was pretty good pay for retail almost 20 years ago.

RonS
11-27-2012, 18:07
Capitalists, the new Jews of the 21st century; when you just have to have someone to blame.

czsmithGT
11-27-2012, 18:10
I hate Walmart because they sell crap, and because they have driven virtually every small retail operation in America out of business.

I live in a fairly small town.

I can go to Walmart, Kroger, Foodland, IGA or Aldi's and buy exactly the same food items.

I can go to Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, True Value and buy the exact same light bulbs and screwdrivers and shop vacs and garden hoses.

I can go to Walmart, Dollar General, Family Dollar, Big Lots and buy the exact same household goods.

I can go to Walmart or the local mall that has 20 clothing stores and buy the same underwear, socks, tee shirts and jeans.

I can go to Walmart, CVS, Walgreen, Rite Aid, or the neighborhood pharmacy and buy the same aspirin and vitamins.

Point is they all sell the same things, Walmart just has a broader range of stuff, often but not always at the best price. They all sell decent merchandise and they all also sell junk. I wouldn't go to Walmart to buy Gucci sunglasses or Louis Vuitton purses.

And the death of the small retailer was because they couldn't compete with Shopping Malls, KMart or Sears 30 years ago or Walmart today- that isn't Walmart's fault.

wrczx3
11-27-2012, 18:16

I can go to Walmart, Kroger, Foodland, IGA or Aldi's and buy exactly the same food items.

I can go to Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, True Value and buy the exact same light bulbs and screwdrivers and shop vacs and garden hoses.

I can go to Walmart, Dollar General, Family Dollar, Big Lots and buy the exact same household goods.

I can go to Walmart or the local mall that has 20 clothing stores and buy the same underwear, socks, tee shirts and jeans.

I can go to Walmart, CVS, Walgreen, Rite Aid, or the neighborhood pharmacy and buy the same aspirin and vitamins.

Point is they all sell the same things, Walmart just has a broader range of stuff, often but not always at the best price. They all sell decent merchandise and they all also sell junk. I wouldn't go to Walmart to buy Gucci sunglasses or Louis Vuitton purses.

And the death of the small retailer was because they couldn't compete with Shopping Malls, KMart or Sears 30 years ago or Walmart today- that isn't Walmart's fault.

Well said.

norton
11-27-2012, 18:19
How is it possible to graduate from high school in the U.S. and not know that businesses do not exist to provide people with jobs and benefits? :upeyes:

Bren
11-27-2012, 18:19
Liberal's are friends of the poor, like PETA is friends of stray dogs.
http://thespeechatimeforchoosing.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/peta-kill-this-dog.jpg

arclight610
11-27-2012, 18:28

I am not a liberal democRAT commie pinko who hates capitalism and hates America.

But, that is the American way. If the majority of Americans want to buy crap at Walmart, instead of their local mom-and-pop, then so be it. Big box (huge box?) stores will rule.

So you artificially prop up an inefficient business model, because of its inefficiency? Retail is not value adding to a product. If you took the same amount of money that you spent at a "mom and pop" store, you could buy more products at Wal-Mart with it. This leads to increased consumption, which leads to increased production, which stimulates the economy more than if you bought less at a "mom and pop" store.

Restless28
11-27-2012, 18:51
So after 3 pages of reading, I see that Indiana Matt trolled all of you. He hasn't been back since Post 1.

The summary of this troll thread is, that no matter how much gnashing of teeth occurs here, that Wal-Mart still will be the biggest retailer in the world.

For those who hate that, tough. It's reality.

Cali-Glock
11-27-2012, 19:21
Yeah no benefits. What nonsense.

A friend married a girl from Columbia. She spoke virtually no English when she arrived in the US. A year later she started at WalMart. Three years later she was an assistant manager.

http://careers.walmart.com/company-benefits/

http://jobsearch.about.com/od/companyprofiles/p/walmart.htm

janice6
11-27-2012, 19:41
Just called "Economy of Scale". (How to beat your competition)

aplcr0331
11-27-2012, 19:48
Go read the Consumer Expenditure Survey compiled by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Here's what Americans spend their money on; 34% Housing, 13% on Food (according to the USDA only 7% of THAT is imported from other countries), 11% on Insurance and Pensions, 7% on Health Care, and 2% on Education. These are mostly American goods and services.

Only 6.4% of non-durable goods (food, clothes, toys, etc) purchased in the entire US are made in China. Imported products from China only makeup 2.3% of our trillion dollar economy.

Ask DevilDog to spell out how manufacturing has increased and is at an all-time high. (Manufacturing emplyment is down, yes but output is way up). We make airplanes, pacemakers, and send rubber dog doo-doo and boxes to China.

Buy your Apple products to feel superior. Buy your Starbucks to feel superior. Call everyone racist to feel superior. Shop at Mom/Pop stores to feel superior.

Just don't lie about the numbers.

Z71bill
11-27-2012, 19:49
Just called "Economy of Scale". (How to beat your competition)

Economies of Scope also important to WM.

BTW - WM also helps a bunch of low income people - WM can make a small paycheck stretch a little -

No company is all good or bad. But add up both good & bad WM comes out with far more good.

But let's all gang up and slam the country's largest private employer - largest seller of guns and ammo. :upeyes:

Restless28
11-27-2012, 20:35
Economies of Scope also important to WM.

BTW - WM also helps a bunch of low income people - WM can make a small paycheck stretch a little -

No company is all good or bad. But add up both good & bad WM comes out with far more good.

But let's all gang up and slam the countries largest private employer - largest seller of guns and ammo. :upeyes:

It's GT. That's how we roll.:cool:

wavetrain75
11-27-2012, 21:01
so after 3 pages of reading, i see that indiana matt trolled all of you. He hasn't been back since post 1...

s.o.p.

concretefuzzynuts
11-27-2012, 21:46
s.o.p.

What I said. Post #42.

Just because the election is over doesn't mean the trolling is.

MulletLoad
11-27-2012, 22:36
If you don't like Walmart's policies don't shop there. Enough said...

Not up to speed on the current policies, but I have a WM less than 9000 feet away from my house and I haven't been there in 11 months.

Why? It's near the craphole area of town and a suction vortex for every dirtbag within 10 miles from my experience shopping there. I have a real fear of getting jacked in the parking lot or even in the remote sporting goods section in the back of the store given there isn't an employee to be found anywhere nearby. I know they have CCTV cameras, but I guess they are for checking on employee theft and for their attorney's to fight a court case 5 years down the road.

N4LP
11-28-2012, 01:12

Walmart may sell crap, but they sell their crap for less. Sure, that piece of crap will break and have to be replaced far quicker than a better quality item, but it's so cheap that by the time it breaks I'll have saved up enough money to buy another one. And as long as I'm not really paying attention, I'll convince myself that the cheaper item always saves me money in the long run!

NEOH212
11-28-2012, 03:05
Congressman: Walmart is the largest recipient of public aid in the country

I'd have to agree. I see more people shopping there with their EBT cards than anywhere else around here!

Gunhaver
11-28-2012, 04:12

My local mom&pop hardware costs more because they carry Estwing and Streamlight and Case and deWalt and Nichols and Channel Lock and many other brands worth buying instead of that use it once and toss it in a drawer Black&Decker and Stanley garbage. They also started stocking weird sandpaper grits and drill bit sizes a bunch of other stuff that I told them I would buy if they had it so now I don't have to stop a 4 places to find what I need.

Walmart is a truck stop $5 bin compared to most mom&pops where hardware is concerned. They can't compete with a Walmart in town by selling the same stuff for more. They have to offer better brands and that's really not hard considering what Walmart carries in it's tool isle.

OMEGA5
11-28-2012, 04:27
I have 2 uncles, a cousin and 2 friends that work at 3
different Walmarts and not one rcvs public assistance and
all are very happy with thier jobs. Everyone has tried to
talk me or my wife into quitting the rat race of dealing with
criminals every day and going to work at Walmart.
That's the facts.
Dano

686Owner
11-28-2012, 04:28

I wouldn't bother trying to explain that. Some also think that restaurants are better because they aren't in a chain. Some of the worst food I've ever had was in non-chain restaurants.

JW1178
11-28-2012, 04:48
The welfare system allows people to work for less and still make it. In other words, once on welfare, all you need is a little extra for the extras, and you are good to go, so you'll work for less, if the work is easy enough. In fact some people if they got paid more would lose benifits, and working for wally world, you know that won't happen.

THe issue is there is the gap, where it's not enough to live on, but too much to qualify for help, so it keeps people from moving ahead, and keeps them on welfare. Trust me, many people don't like being on welfare, but if they make too much, and lose it, they won't be able to eat. It's a product of our ineffecient government.

If it weren't for the social system, many of those employees would be driven to do better, and walmart would either have to up thier pay one way or another, or they would lose those employees. No, Walmart wouldn't just "not hire anyone" because if they could function on one less employee than they have this minute, they would lay someone off right now. One person I know that works at Walmart says the term "Always" means "Always understaffed". If there is a task that requires 5 employees, they put 2 employees on it and expect it done in half the time. That is if they can't convince a vendor to do it first.

Grabbrass
11-28-2012, 04:50
As someone who actually worked at Walmart for a while I can tell you that the pay actually is decent for retail, and the benefits are actually pretty nice. There's a standard $0.40/hr raise each year. The reason most of the employees are miserable is the general hostility they're treated with by both management and the employees, also a good deal of corruption.

The standard raise isn't supposed to be standard for instance, it's supposed to be performance based, however it's pretty much impossible to get an above average performance rating because the management who do evaluations are pressured to keep the overhead low. This leads to most employees doing the bare minimum rather than work harder. Promotions are always a case of who you know, including relatives of upper middle management being hired right into managerial positions. Lastly understaffing is a major problem. Again with management under pressure to raise profits, they do so by constantly cutting staff, or cutting hours, leaving insufficient manpower to meet demands. This is why it takes so long to buy ammo. Sporting goods is usually left unmanned when their associates are pulled to other areas.

Most of the actual policies in place aren't so bad really, but the current crop of management from top down are pretty incompetent when it comes to making sure stores have the resources to actually meet the customer's needs, creating a high stress and miserable environment for workers and customers alike.

With the exception of a few minor specifics, you've just given a general description of just about every place I've ever worked.

JW1178
11-28-2012, 05:21
Forgot to add. Walmart can only do what it can do because its so big it controls the market. That is very bad if you believe in a free market.

Then again in the late 90's the same was thought of Microsoft. Then came google and apple made a comeback.

So, times will change.

Spiffums
11-28-2012, 06:14
The title of this thread is an abject lie; Wal-Mart receives no public aid. Perhaps some of their employees do, but one of my kids works at a Wal-Mart distribution center and he makes a decent living. Guess I better go tell him how evil his employer is. :upeyes:

No DAMNIT!!! IT'S WALMART!!!! It's all their fault! Along with Unions and George Bush and the whole Democrat Party!!! It is everyone and anyone's fault but my own!

I have a 1911 and get all my info from GNG!

Fred Hansen
11-28-2012, 06:49
He must have. Otherwise his concern would be for his pooch not trolling in GT.I doubt it.

sheriff733
11-28-2012, 06:58
I can't believe this is such a hard concept to understand.

If you don't like your job at Wal-Mart, then find a job elsewhere that is satisfactory.

Society does not owe you a job, of any kind. All you are owed is an opportunity. What you do with that opportunity is up to you. Nobody else.

It's no deeper than that, though many would love to make it out to be.

series1811
11-28-2012, 07:23

Are beginning to follow this model? That's pretty much always been the fiduciary duty that all board members of a corporation owe the shareholders, and for which they can be removed in a shareholder's derivative action.

What makes you think this is something new? It is the way corporate law requires corporations to operate.

fnfalman
11-28-2012, 08:07
Forgot to add. Walmart can only do what it can do because its so big it controls the market. That is very bad if you believe in a free market.

Then again in the late 90's the same was thought of Microsoft. Then came google and apple made a comeback.

So, times will change.

Really? If Wally World were to "control" the market then why haven't the Feds busted Wal-Mart on anti-trust?

fnfalman
11-28-2012, 08:12

So...a Colt carbine bought at Wal-Mart is made out of paper mache instead of real metal like a Colt carbine bought at a regular gun store?

Remington ammunition bought at Wal-Mart is down loaded or uses inferior brass than Remington ammo bought at a regular gun shop?

Or Cheetos bought at Wal-Mart is inferior to Cheetos bought at Robertson's/Ralph's/Safeway?

sheriff733
11-28-2012, 08:16
So...a Colt carbine bought at Wal-Mart is made out of paper mache instead of real metal like a Colt carbine bought at a regular gun store?

Remington ammunition bought at Wal-Mart is down loaded or uses inferior brass than Remington ammo bought at a regular gun shop?

Or Cheetos bought at Wal-Mart is inferior to Cheetos bought at Robertson's/Ralph's/Safeway?

Well duh... :upeyes:

:supergrin:

series1811
11-28-2012, 10:20
The only complaint I have against Wal-Mart is that they seem to specialize in only selling the high profit items. Then they drive the specialized businesses away, and instead of a hardware store where you can get any hardware, you have a store that only carries basic tools and hardware. Instead of a gun store, you have a store that just carries the highest selling, highest profit guns.

But, that's their right. It just sucks later.

fnfalman
11-28-2012, 10:57
The only complaint I have against Wal-Mart is that they seem to specialize in only selling the high profit items. Then they drive the specialized businesses away, and instead of a hardware store where you can get any hardware, you have a store that only carries basic tools and hardware. Instead of a gun store, you have a store that just carries the highest selling, highest profit guns.

They cater to their clientele.:dunno:

Why would they try to sell a $3000 Sako or a $100,000 H&H? Who would buy those guns from them?

Why would they sell a $100 Wright/Klein hand tool? Who would buy it from them?

wjv
11-28-2012, 16:18
Costco pays more and provided better benefits than Walmart. .

However:
- Being that they are a private company, that have a right to chose their pay & benefit rates
- They have a different business model than Walmart

I'm like that Costco supports their employees (even if the head honcho is an Obama (kiss-ass). But I'm also glad that they do it out of choice and not because some government agency has mandated that they MUST do it.

concretefuzzynuts
11-28-2012, 16:50
Evil Walmart! Forcing people to work there! Making them take paychecks and feeding their families!!!

They also offer inexpensive goods to the public who are somehow forced to shop there (I'm not sure how they force us to, but they must).

Detectorist
11-28-2012, 16:56

Yes, WalMart should sell the lowest profit items. Duh...

They don't make much on their soda, for example.

N4LP
11-28-2012, 20:50

Nope, some things are the same where ever you buy them. A bag of Cheetos, a bottle of Coke etc, but other things are not. If you don't understand that yet, then you probably love everything Walmart sells.

And if you didn't know, companies will make "special" items for Walmart. Items that carry the brand name and appear functionally equivalent to their regular product, but are of lesser quality. Those Levi Jeans you've been wearing all your life - the ones Walmart sells (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Signature-by-Levi-Strauss-Co.-Men-s-Regular-Fit-Jeans/16518915) aren't them. The good news though is they only cost $20 and come in waist sizes 40+ - which many Walmart shoppers will need after all that cheap coke and cheetos. And when they wear out...just another $20...so cheap! Of course you could have just bought a real pair of Levi jeans and they would have lasted 3 times as long, but don't think about that, just enjoy those low, low prices!

countrygun
11-28-2012, 21:00
Nope, some things are the same where ever you buy them. A bag of Cheetos, a bottle of Coke etc, but other things are not. If you don't understand that yet, then you probably love everything Walmart sells.

And if you didn't know, companies will make "special" items for Walmart. Items that carry the brand name and appear functionally equivalent to their regular product, but are of lesser quality. Those Levi Jeans you've been wearing all your life - the ones Walmart sells (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Signature-by-Levi-Strauss-Co.-Men-s-Regular-Fit-Jeans/16518915) aren't them. The good news though is they only cost $20 and come in waist sizes 40+ - which many Walmart shoppers will need after all that cheap coke and cheetos. And when they wear out...just another $20...so cheap! Of course you could have just bought a real pair of Levi jeans and they would have lasted 3 times as long, but don't think about that, just enjoy those low, low prices!

yup,

it is truely horrible to live in a Country where we leave it up to people to make informed decisions (and expect them to take the responsibility of informing themselves) about what they purchase. Imagine the horror of a world in which people could actually purchase the level of quality they are willing to pay for. what would happen if we let people make their own choices?

N4LP
11-28-2012, 21:10
yup,

it is truely horrible to live in a Country where we leave it up to people to make informed decisions (and expect them to take the responsibility of informing themselves) about what they purchase. Imagine the horror of a world in which people could actually purchase the level of quality they are willing to pay for. what would happen if we let people make their own choices?

Informed decisions like voting for Obama right? Oh wait, when someone votes for Obama a lot of people here think those people don't make informed decisions, but when doing something "important" like buying cheap crap in Walmart, they probably study it out.

podwich
11-28-2012, 21:12

:upeyes:

Walmart provides a bunch of low-skill, entry-level jobs. Such jobs aren't going to have a huge reimbursement package.

You should rail against the government that offers all that public aid. If it weren't available, perhaps the market would demand more reimbursement for that job in order to attract workers. In that case, the true cost of labor would be shifted where it should- to those who purchase the products, not the general public.

jfost11
11-28-2012, 21:23
Those Levi Jeans you've been wearing all your life - the ones Walmart sells (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Signature-by-Levi-Strauss-Co.-Men-s-Regular-Fit-Jeans/16518915) aren't them. The good news though is they only cost $20 and come in waist sizes 40+ - which many Walmart shoppers will need after all that cheap coke and cheetos. And when they wear out...just another $20...so cheap! Of course you could have just bought a real pair of Levi jeans and they would have lasted 3 times as long, but don't think about that, just enjoy those low, low prices!

Hate to burst your bubble but, I have 4 pair of "real" Levi jeans that have split at the seams or ripped at the knees while squatting or bending over. An over $50 pair of thick, triple stitched carpenter jeans split down the middle the third time I wore them. Three regular pairs wore out at the knees after only 4 or 5 washes.

I finally cleaned out my closet a few months ago and donated some old pairs from high school that were worn at least twice a week for years and washed every time. They still looked almost new. Sorry, the real Levis now aren't the ones you've worn all your life either but they sure charge you like it.

countrygun
11-28-2012, 21:27
Informed decisions like voting for Obama right? Oh wait, when someone votes for Obama a lot of people here think those people don't make informed decisions, but when doing something "important" like buying cheap crap in Walmart, they probably study it out.

Nobody said they all make the decision others think they should, it has something to do with the word...uhm what is it.....uh....Freedom..Yah, that's it "FREEDOM". Walmart has the freedom to put the stuff out there and you have the freedom not to buy it.

Folks trying to tell al the employees of Walmart that they shouldn't work there or telling all the customers that they shouldn't shop there are, well..basically...uhm. "Idiots"

czsmithGT
11-28-2012, 21:32

Levis quality these days is terrible no matter where you buy them. And as far as Levi's "Signature" series, their exclusive agreement on this line with Walmart expired years ago. You can buy the very same things at many other stores, though why one would want to I don't know. There are better quality jeans these days than Levis, but I don't know if any of them are as good as the "good old days".

gjk5
11-28-2012, 21:32
you folks apparently aren't getting to WM early enough, I've seen with my own eyes the cattle cars pull up and start offloading the workers, the poor souls staring distantly at me while being whipped by their Chinese slavemasters. They don't choose to work there, the HAVE to and WM OWES them a better life by God!

fnfalman
11-28-2012, 21:33

I don't love everything that Wal-Mart sells. Just the guns and ammo.

And if you didn't know, companies will make "special" items for Walmart. Items that carry the brand name and appear functionally equivalent to their regular product, but are of lesser quality. Those Levi Jeans you've been wearing all your life - the ones Walmart sells (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Signature-by-Levi-Strauss-Co.-Men-s-Regular-Fit-Jeans/16518915) aren't them. The good news though is they only cost $20 and come in waist sizes 40+ - which many Walmart shoppers will need after all that cheap coke and cheetos.

Levi's haven't made real jeans in years. At least at Wally World it's cheaper than buying the "real" Levi's at other places.

And when they wear out...just another $20...so cheap! Of course you could have just bought a real pair of Levi jeans and they would have lasted 3 times as long, but don't think about that, just enjoy those low, low prices!

Pray tell, where can one get a "real" pair of Levi's nowadays? A pair of Levi's that don't look like what a bunch of metrosexuals or urban cowboys would wear?

czsmithGT
11-28-2012, 21:37
you folks apparently aren't getting to WM early enough, I've seen with my own eyes the cattle cars pull up and start offloading the workers, the poor souls staring distantly at me while being whipped by their Chinese slavemasters. They don't choose to work there, the HAVE to and WM OWES them a better life by God!

Nonsense. I ALWAYS get there early because a Walmart truck shows up at my door every morning and forces me at gunpoint to go there and buy things. It isn't like I have any choice.

DWARREN123
11-28-2012, 21:40
Don't like Wal-Mart or how they treat employees. Don't buy there or work for them.
Simple enough!

N4LP
11-28-2012, 21:44
Nobody said they all make the decision others think they should, it has something to do with the word...uhm what is it.....uh....Freedom..Yah, that's it "FREEDOM". Walmart has the freedom to put the stuff out there and you have the freedom not to buy it.

Folks trying to tell al the employees of Walmart that they shouldn't work there or telling all the customers that they shouldn't shop there are, well..basically...uhm. "Idiots"

Ohhh..."Freedom"...well, if you have the freedom to do something then doing it must be a good thing - no further thought required. How could I possibly criticize Walmart's business practices, when all they are doing is exercising their "FREEDOM"!

I have the freedom to join Westboro Baptist when they picket a soldier's funeral. I have the freedom to join the Communist party. I have the freedom to do lots of stupid and/or bad things and I'm glad to know that you wouldn't dream of criticizing me for any of them...because freedom!

wprebeck
11-28-2012, 21:45
Well, damn. I just lost all the respect I had for a friend of mine. I mean, he's got a nice home, in a nice area of town. At least three vehicles with no car payment (he pays cash), a pontoon boat (from auction, also paid in cash), and 60 acres of land that I have unfettered access to play on (its where I hunt). Said land would easily go for $200k minimum, given current land values of the area.

But, I never knew he did on this while on da welfare. I mean, he must, since both he and his wife work there. Surely, the fact that he's been there over 20 years, worked his way into management, and handles his finances quite well has nothing to do with it. Nope, he got all that from the welfare check.

**** - Ima get my check, too. If'n I can gets all dat.

countrygun
11-28-2012, 21:47
Ohhh..."Freedom"...well, if you have the freedom to do something then doing it must be a good thing - no further thought required. How could I possibly criticize Walmart's business practices, when all they are doing is exercising their "FREEDOM"!

I have the freedom to join Westboro Baptist when they picket a soldier's funeral. I have the freedom to join the Communist party. I have the freedom to do lots of stupid and/or bad things and I'm glad to know that you wouldn't dream of criticizing me for any of them...because freedom!

Well you have the freedom to look like an idiot,nobody here has stopped you.

N4LP
11-28-2012, 21:56
Well you have the freedom to look like an idiot,nobody here has stopped you.

I do have the freedom to look like an idiot, but I choose not to because being free to do something doesn't mean you should - maybe someday you'll figure that out.

fnfalman
11-28-2012, 21:59
I do have the freedom to look like an idiot, but I choose not to because being free to do something doesn't mean you should - maybe someday you'll figure that out.

You want to buy Levi's jeans made in China for some ridiculous price and now you claim that you choose not to be an idiot?

N4LP
11-28-2012, 22:09
You want to buy Levi's jeans made in China for some ridiculous price and now you claim that you choose not to be an idiot?

I don't want to buy Levi's jeans, but if I did I wouldn't buy the crappy "signature" line at Walmart.

Btw...if Levi Jeans makes you an idiot, maybe we know why Mitt Romney lost.

No mom jeans for Romney: Mitt's Levis, 34 waist, 34 leg (http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2012/03/mitt_romney_and_his_501_levis_.html)

Z71bill
11-29-2012, 07:40
IMHO - it is impossible for any company to be the largest retailer & employer in the USA and not have a bunch of people "hating on you".

Sad thing is - (not just with WM but in general) you have a few people with an agenda putting out propaganda - and so many folks - that really don't have a dog in the fight - jump on the band wagon and accept all the BS as fact.

I have been a WM supplier (great company), a customer (mostly good experience). I know a few people that have worked at WM that got more pay and better benefits then their prior employer paid and were generally happy (no one is always happy in a lower end job).

This is what I base my opinion on -- my own experience.

What do you base your opinions on?

Some group that wants to unionize WM, or some small competitor that LOST out to WM or did you get fired from WM?

series1811
11-29-2012, 07:48
Yes, WalMart should sell the lowest profit items. Duh...

They don't make much on their soda, for example.

I said it is their right to sell what they want. What I was pointing out was the result to consumers, at least in the places I have lived.

M2 Carbine
11-29-2012, 08:01
Congressman: Walmart is the largest recipient of public aid in the countryI have heard a lot of stupid statements in my life but this has got to be one of the most asinine things I ever heard.

I'd call that guy a ****** idiot but that would be an insult to idiots.

WIMPY
11-29-2012, 08:14
The tv show Leverage on the other night did a "hatchet Job" on a "Walmart type store". Story line straight out of the liberal sewer.

Hailstorm
11-29-2012, 10:57
So, if we are gonna complain about wages. Why not bring up what our people over seas make in the line of duty.

I was on assistance when I was a 3 striper. I'm sure it isn't any better these days. Sure we got free midical, at that time. Now, not to so much.
I'm waiting for them to start charging our guys for the ammo they use.

syntaxerrorsix
11-29-2012, 11:10
So, if we are gonna complain about wages. Why not bring up what our people over seas make in the line of duty.

I was on assistance when I was a 3 striper. I'm sure it isn't any better these days. Sure we got free midical, at that time. Now, not to so much.
I'm waiting for them to start charging our guys for the ammo they use.

Really? You qualified? I would have never even looked. E5 pay isn't anything to write home about but I certainly didn't feel I need government assistance.

fnfalman
11-29-2012, 12:04
Really? You qualified? I would have never even looked. E5 pay isn't anything to write home about but I certainly didn't feel I need government assistance.

Depends on how many dependents you have.

syntaxerrorsix
11-29-2012, 12:17
Depends on how many dependents you have.

Agreed. If you don't make enough money you should limit how many you have :dunno:

killingjoke
11-29-2012, 12:33
Give me your weak, tired,old.and illegal's. As a former employee at Wally world they dont give a $*** about thier employees. Walmart has taken out insurance polices on their employees, so when they pass away. Walmart collects. Plus they really dont care much of thier employees. When you are hired. Your starting pay is based on input they feed to thier computor. congratulaions your base pay is $9.00 an hour.Cashiers make less. Around $8.25 an hour.

MtBaldy
11-29-2012, 13:02
I have heard a lot of stupid statements in my life but this has got to be one of the most asinine things I ever heard.

I would have bet money there was a (D) after his name. Wasn't even surprised when there was.

countrygun
11-29-2012, 13:08
Give me your weak, tired,old.and illegal's. As a former employee at Wally world they dont give a $*** about thier employees. Walmart has taken out insurance polices on their employees, so when they pass away. Walmart collects. Plus they really dont care much of thier employees. When you are hired. Your starting pay is based on input they feed to thier computor. congratulaions your base pay is $9.00 an hour.Cashiers make less. Around $8.25 an hour.

Did the paychecks cash?

countrygun
11-29-2012, 13:10
I would have bet money there was a (D) after his name. Wasn't even surprised when there was.

Wasn't it a (D) Congressman that was seriously worried that Guam might tip over?

devildog2067
11-29-2012, 13:11
congratulaions your base pay is $9.00 an hour.Cashiers make less. Around $8.25 an hour.

If you don't want to make $8.25 an hour... don't take a job making $8.25 an hour.

Seems pretty simple to me.

fnfalman
11-29-2012, 13:40
Walmart has taken out insurance polices on their employees, so when they pass away. Walmart collects.

Since that Wal-Mart pays for the the life insurances of their employees, why shouldn't Wal-Mart collect? When you pay for your life insurance and you die, shouldn't your bequeathed get your life insurance or should the next door neighbor who didn't pay for your life insurance gets it?

Plus they really dont care much of thier employees. When you are hired. Your starting pay is based on input they feed to thier computor. congratulaions your base pay is $9.00 an hour.Cashiers make less. Around $8.25 an hour.

Perhaps the cashiers should make $40/hr?

Z71bill
11-29-2012, 13:56
WM taking out life insurance on employees?

I know what must have happened to the Walmart greeters!

czsmithGT
11-29-2012, 14:08
WM taking out life insurance on employees?

I know what must have happened to the Walmart greeters!

LOL yes they did it in the 1990s. Apparently a lot of companies did because of tax loopholes. Unfortunately for them, it is not legal in most states so they were sued and settled most of the lawsuits. Only the lawyers and insurance companies got rich.

aplcr0331
11-29-2012, 14:21
Your starting pay is based on input they feed to thier computor. congratulaions your base pay is $9.00 an hour.Cashiers make less. Around $8.25 an hour.

Not where I live. Cashier's make $9.04 per hour. If you work back in the stocking area unloading trucks and scanning items into inventory (where I worked) you made $9.79 an hour. There was no magic com-pu-tor that told me what my wage was. I just looked at the information posted for everyone to see and picked the job with the least customer contact and the highest wage.

countrygun
11-29-2012, 14:26
Not where I live. Cashier's make $9.04 per hour. If you work back in the stocking area unloading trucks and scanning items into inventory (where I worked) you made $9.79 an hour. There was no magic com-pu-tor that told me what my wage was. I just looked at the information posted for everyone to see and picked the job with the least customer contact and the highest wage.

Smartest statement of the day.

MtBaldy
11-29-2012, 14:26
Wasn't it a (D) Congressman that was seriously worried that Guam might tip over?

Yeah, and one of Obama's peeps too:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2010/04/01/dem_congressman_guam_might_tip_over_if_it_gets_overpopulated.html