Too fat to fly [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Too fat to fly

2bgop
11-27-2012, 15:03
http://gma.yahoo.com/obese-woman-denied-flights-home-dies-abroad-191137549--abc-news-topstories.html

Unreal. The husband is so upset, only money will make him feel better.

arclight610
11-27-2012, 15:08
I don't understand how the airlines could be held responsible at all. They all tried to make reasonable accommodation, but it was determined that she could not safely fly.

NeverMore1701
11-27-2012, 15:16
She was too ****ing fat to fly, according to three different airlines. Too damn bad.

I was going to try to sugar coat it, but some fatso would have ate it.

SRS
11-27-2012, 15:31
It's ironic she died in Hungary.

zoyter2
11-27-2012, 15:38
Personal problems and fat issues aside, I hope KLM takes it in the butt They KNEW her situation when they sold her a ticket out, make accommodations and arrangements for the return flight, then denied those accommodations and arrangements.

Suddenly deciding they couldn't make those arrangements? Sorry, I side with the family. Don't say you will do stuff you have no intentions of doing.

devildog2067
11-27-2012, 15:43
They KNEW her situation when they sold her a ticket out

Really?

I buy a couple of round trip tickets a week, and not once has the airline website or the travel agent asked me for my weight or medical history.

How was KLM supposed to know that this woman was going to fly to Europe and refuse medical treatment such that she gained a bunch of water weight while she was there?

Suddenly deciding they couldn't make those arrangements? Sorry, I side with the family. Don't say you will do stuff you have no intentions of doing.

What do you mean "suddenly"?

They tried to get her onboard the airplane, and it was determined that she couldn't fly safely. It's not like they took one look at her and canceled her ticket. They tried to get her on board three different airplanes in three different cities in three different countries. On the last try (in Germany)

the crew, with help from the local fire department, was unable to move her from her wheelchair to the three seats assigned to her.

The captain ordered them off after 30 minutes of no success.

Also, the woman refused medical treatment for her diabetes in Hungary

Neither trusted the doctors in Hungary, especially because they wouldn’t be familiar with her lengthy medical history, Janos said.

“She was very ill and did not trust that the hospitals in former communist Hungary could attend to her needs,” Ronai said.

and apparently refused treatment in the Czech Republic and Germany as well.

Sorry, this woman died because she was very ill. The airlines had absolutely nothing to do with it.

fnfalman
11-27-2012, 15:50
It's a lot better to blame the "corporation".

The Maggy
11-27-2012, 16:00
1)If you manage to find an aircraft that can accommodate all 400+ lbs. of you, do not be shocked when you have trouble on your return trip.*

2) If your health is so bad that you have to see your doctors regularly and boarding an airplane to leave the country or return is questionable at best, do not be surprised when you die in a foreign country.

*Notice that I said aircraft, not airlines. Three different Airlines attempted to accommodate her; none of the aircraft were designed to safely accommodate her.

glock_collector
11-27-2012, 16:02
Its sad that the airline did so much to accomidate this orcha and yet idiots still rip on them

skinny99
11-27-2012, 16:43
Yet another instance of lack of personal responsibility. Blame someone else.

AK_Stick
11-27-2012, 16:45
Should have strapped old lardo to a 463L and put her in a cargo hauler. They're rated for livestock.

Cali-Glock
11-27-2012, 16:51
The airline flew her there and then said "sorry" we won't fly you back. That is the airlines problem.

devildog2067
11-27-2012, 16:56
The airline flew her there and then said "sorry" we won't fly you back. That is the airlines problem.

No, that's not at all what happened. Her health deteriorated and evidently her weight increased while she was there.

acaligunner
11-27-2012, 16:56
Wait a minute>> She flew there with no problem, so how come the Airline that denied her flight didn't make arrangements with the same airline that flew her there?

I am sure something could have been done, but seems like she got the run around- or else her husband didn't want to pay out of his pocket for the extra time/passage that another airline would have to make to get her back to the US.

I don't understand how she flew there and could not get a flight back. :wow:

Couldn't she have just found a US embassy and fell on the floor and ask for US medical attention!

DAMN!

acaligunner
11-27-2012, 17:01
No, that's not at all what happened. Her health deteriorated and evidently her weight increased while she was there.

The company stated that there was a problem with the seat back. Sounds like it was there fault, because their OM people didn't fix the bad seat (back). So it was the airlines fault for having defective equipment, and not making accommodations for her to get back into the USA.

The couple flew from New York City to Budapest by way of Amsterdam on KLM Royal Dutch Airlines. Soltesz, who had one leg, got on the flight with the help of an airlift, and used a seatbelt extender when seated, Ostrov-Ronai said, adding that the couple had "no issues at all."
"KLM asked them when they would be flying home so that they could make proper arrangements," Ostrov-Ronai wrote in an email to ABCNews.com.
When the couple went to the airport on Oct. 15 to board a KLM night flight home to New York, they were able to board. However, Ostrov-Ronai said the captain asked Vilma Soltesz to disembark because she could not be secured in her seat due to an issue with a seat back.

devildog2067
11-27-2012, 17:03
Wait a minute>> She flew there with no problem, so how come the Airline that denied her flight didn't make arrangements with the same airline that flew her there?

Doesn't anyone bother to read the articles or previous posts anymore?

KLM asked them when they would be flying home so that they could make proper arrangements

In other words, before their initial flight home, KLM tried to proactively handle the problem. However, as I mentioned in the post above yours

Her health deteriorated and evidently her weight increased while she was there.

The woman was in end-stage renal failure. She was bloated and retaining significant water weight. They tried to safely get her aboard three different flights at three different airports in three different cities and failed. A bunch of firemen were unable to get her from her wheelchair to her assigned seats and strap her in.

What else do you expect the airline to do?

Andy123
11-27-2012, 17:04
What treatment is available in the U.S. that you can't get in Germany? It's not like she was stuck in Haiti.

devildog2067
11-27-2012, 17:04
The company stated that there was a problem with the seat back. Sounds like it was there fault, because their OM people didn't fix the bad seat (back). So it was the airlines fault for having defective equipment

Airplane seats that can't handle 425 pound immobile people are now "defective"?

AK_Stick
11-27-2012, 17:06

It wasn't we won't fly you back. It was we can't safely fit your fat ass on the plane.

Also, she was too damn fat to fit in a wheel chair, and lastly couldn't fit a seat belt around her.

rednoved
11-27-2012, 17:07
Wow....

NeverMore1701
11-27-2012, 17:13
I guess you can't blame fatties for their problems now, it's gotta be someone else's fault.

acaligunner
11-27-2012, 17:14
devildog2067

Doesn't anyone bother to read the articles or previous posts anymore?

We glance the topic over, you know - not enough time and all that.

In other words, before their initial flight home, KLM tried to proactively handle the problem. However, as I mentioned in the post above yours

Yes they TRIED, BUT that was not helpful was it. Do or do not there is no try, hahaha

The woman was in end-stage renal failure. She was bloated and retaining significant water weight.

So they don't have lassix over there, how about taking her to a hospital, for dialysis if she is going down ( because of her kidney failure )? Or doesn't the captain see something wrong when she was in such an emergency?

They tried to safely get her aboard three different flights at three different airports in three different cities and failed.

That's true, it was a failure. I'm sure they could have boarded her. They knew she needed 'special needs' and for them to take 3 days, to 'try' is rather bad

A bunch of firemen were unable to get her from her wheelchair to her assigned seats and strap her in.

What else do you expect the airline to do

I don't know, say use the same procedure/eq that got her there.

I don't know ( or you ), what the heck went on there but do you really believe that in 3 whole 24 hr days, they couldn't get that women on a plain and to a hospital. Something doesn't sound right.

aircarver
11-27-2012, 17:15
Her condition called for an air ambulance, not a regular passenger plane.

acaligunner
11-27-2012, 17:15
Airplane seats that can't handle 425 pound immobile people are now "defective"?

You know the rating load limits on steel and stiching?

acaligunner
11-27-2012, 17:16
Her condition called for an air ambulance, not a regular passenger plane.

So why didn't the husband pay for such service? :whistling:

zoyter2
11-27-2012, 17:19
Your right DD.. even though she was fat when she flew in, fat when she attempted to fly out, and had every indication that KLM (who knew she was fat and would likely remain fat as fat people do being fat) was accommodating her fat self both ways, she was still fat. Fat is fat. Fat people should never expect the accommodations they were promised. After all, they are fat. And Fat people are fat. Even when the AIRLINE stated the seat was defective, it was because the woman was fat. Fat causes defective seats. Probably the mechanic who said the seat had a problem was fat. Probably had a fat little wife with fat little kids who should never forget that being fat is a good reason to disregard any concerns.

Fat. Damn...why do they even expect ANYTHING in life. Fat asses.

airmotive
11-27-2012, 17:20
Two words:
Safety Hazard.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/11/26/article-2238590-163817B1000005DC-642_306x423.jpg

Note the missing leg.
No business in the air. Sorry lady.
You cannot be transported by plane without posing a risk to yourself or other passengers.

devildog2067
11-27-2012, 17:23
So they don't have lassix over there, how about taking her to a hospital, for dialysis if she is going down ( because of her kidney failure )?

They refused medical treatment in Hungary.

Neither trusted the doctors in Hungary, especially because they wouldn’t be familiar with her lengthy medical history, Janos said.

“She was very ill and did not trust that the hospitals in former communist Hungary could attend to her needs,” Ronai said.

devildog2067
11-27-2012, 17:24
Your right DD.. even though she was fat when she flew in, fat when she attempted to fly out, and had every indication that KLM (who knew she was fat and would likely remain fat as fat people do being fat) was accommodating her fat self both ways, she was still fat. Fat is fat. Fat people should never expect the accommodations they were promised. After all, they are fat.

Dude, wtf are you talking about?

There's "fat" and there's "missing a foot due to complications from dialysis, in end-stage renal failure, and incapable of moving from a wheelchair to airplane seats under her own power."

Guess which one this was.

acaligunner
11-27-2012, 17:24
Your right DD.. even though she was fat when she flew in, fat when she attempted to fly out, and had every indication that KLM (who knew she was fat and would likely remain fat as fat people do being fat) was accommodating her fat self both ways, she was still fat. Fat is fat. Fat people should never expect the accommodations they were promised. After all, they are fat. And Fat people are fat. Even when the AIRLINE stated the seat was defective, it was because the woman was fat. Fat causes defective seats. Probably the mechanic who said the seat had a problem was fat. Probably had a fat little wife with fat little kids who should never forget that being fat is a good reason to disregard any concerns.

Fat. Damn...why do they even expect ANYTHING in life. Fat asses.

I believe the 'term' you are looking for is morbidly obese and not 'fat'.

Damn you use the word fat a lot, :faint:

acaligunner
11-27-2012, 17:26
They refused medical treatment in Hungary.

That's not good, you think if they had found a US embassy they would have provided her with medical service?

devildog2067
11-27-2012, 17:29
That's not good, you think if they had found a US embassy they would have provided her with medical service?

Well I'm guessing US Embassies probably have medical staff on hand for first aid, but they rarely contain hospitals, so I'm thinking the answer is no.

These folks were also in the Czech Republic and in Germany, and evidently did not seek medical care there either.

Austria and Switzerland are also about the same distance away as Frankfurt, and both have world-class hospitals.

It's not the airlines' fault that this woman is dead.

The Maggy
11-27-2012, 17:40

Guess where the treatment would have happened if they went to the American Embassy in Hungary. Doubly so since they own property in the country.

As far as the "defective seat", it only mentions an "issue" with the seat back. After seeing pictures of the lady, it's safe to assume that she was unable to sit in a seat, with it's back in the upright position, for take off and landing. It becomes a safety hazard at that point and the captain asked them to disembark.

Chuck TX
11-27-2012, 17:44
That's well beyond fat. If you can't stand up and take a pic of yourself in the mirror wearing Victorias Husky Secret with a stolen tablet, you've crossed over to morbidly obese.

jfost11
11-27-2012, 18:03
That's well beyond fat. If you can't stand up and take a pic of yourself in the mirror wearing Victorias Husky Secret with a stolen tablet, you've crossed over to morbidly obese.

My bladder let go reading that.:rofl:

Gallium
11-27-2012, 18:13
I read the article. My take.

Yes, she is very obese.
The missing lower leg and foot are indicative of circulatory issues.

KLM...on the way home the pilot said she could not fly due to a seatback issue where she could not be secured in the seat.
They went to Prague, where Delta could not get her from the terminal to the aircraft.

She was unable to fly out of Hungary on Lufthansa, was able to get on the plane, but was unable to get the seatbelt fastened, and asked to disembark.

My thoughts:

You have to be careful when you fly out of one of the world's most comprehensive and largest airports, in one of the world's largest megalopolis'. I know all too well as a traveler that things I may take for granted in one geo-political area of the world...those things might be completely unavailable somewhere else.

The pilot of the 1st KLM flight could have been more accommodating. In hindsight, I suspect he wishes he had *****ed up a means of getting her secured in the seat while maintaining compliance with the FAA and NTA.

She, her husband and the rest of the family must have been aware of how advanced her illness was. There are times to hunker down, and there are times to spread your wings. This was not a stage of her life where she should be globe trotting. She was already a great candidate for deep vein thrombosis, and a slew of other maladies that are exacerbated by high altitude, less pressure, less oxygen /etc. The only thing that might not affect her is being immobile - she was already used to that.

Who knows how it will turn out? I have lost family members to illness and violence. It is very easy to channel your grief out towards any random entity and think that entity "caused" the death of a loved one...so I will cut them some slack on this. The lawsuit has all the strains of a sleazy atty or other party whispering in someone's ear.

These folks should take a long hard look in the mirror. The foods she put in her system had more of a cause of her death than anything that occurred while trying to get her on a flight.

- G

aircarver
11-27-2012, 18:22
^ ^ ^ ^

Good Take on it ! :thumbsup:

CitizenOfDreams
11-27-2012, 18:23
She should have tried United Airlines:

1992 United Airlines - YouTube

acaligunner
11-27-2012, 18:40

Yes, she is very obese.

KLM...on the way home the pilot said she could not fly due to a seatback issue where she could not be secured in the seat.
They went to Prague, where Delta could not get her from the terminal to the aircraft.

She was unable to fly out of Hungary on Lufthansa, was able to get on the plane, but was unable to get the seatbelt fastened, and asked to disembark.

My thoughts:

You have to be careful when you fly out of one of the world's most comprehensive and largest airports, in one of the world's largest megalopolis'. I know all too well as a traveler that things I may take for granted in one geo-political area of the world...those things might be completely unavailable somewhere else.

The pilot of the 1st KLM flight could have been more accommodating. In hindsight, I suspect he wishes he had *****ed up a means of getting her secured in the seat while maintaining compliance with the FAA and NTA.

She, her husband and the rest of the family must have been aware of how advanced her illness was. There are times to hunker down, and there are times to spread your wings. This was not a stage of her life where she should be globe trotting. She was already a great candidate for deep vein thrombosis, and a slew of other maladies that are exacerbated by high altitude, less pressure, less oxygen /etc. The only thing that might not affect her is being immobile - she was already used to that.

Who knows how it will turn out? I have lost family members to illness and violence. It is very easy to channel your grief out towards any random entity and think that entity "caused" the death of a loved one...so I will cut them some slack on this. The lawsuit has all the strains of a sleazy atty or other party whispering in someone's ear.

These folks should take a long hard look in the mirror. The foods she put in her system had more of a cause of her death than anything that occurred while trying to get her on a flight.

- G

I am sure that this will all be bought out in the court ( if it goes that far ), few lawyers may be willing to take the case, when just showing you a picture of her, can change one's mind about her being in relatively good health.

I also do not know why someone in that condition would take such a ( far away from home ), trip.

I am sure she knew how much care she needed, not sure of why she choose to go, but maybe she felt the need to be 'normal' again.

Sitting in that F'in wheelchair, and going to the Dr every so often, and being disabled ( thru her fault or other factors ), must have sked balols.

RonS
11-27-2012, 18:49
Most likely scenario. Ticket to Europe sold and honored. Someone got complaints about the person. Someone at the airline investigated and realized that:

A) Sharing a cabin with a fat ugly person offended some paying passengers.

B) Carrying the person cost extra due to reasonable accomodations requried.

C) The person in question was probably only going to fly one more time at most, except as cargo possibly.

D) The offended passengers will probably fly many more times.

E) That a fat ugly horribly unhealthy person might die on their nice clean airplane and expose the airline to financial risk.

F) We're the airline, we can do whatever we want as long as we spin it right. Especially since 95% of people have no sympathy for someone who is fat.

This is why we have courts. If half the people in GNG had their way corporations could do anything they wanted to make a buck with no consequences and if the other half had their way there wouldn't be any corporations because they would have all been driven out of business.

doktarZues
11-27-2012, 18:53
That's a sad story just all around. Sounds to me like there were multiple honest attempts to accommodate her. They would have been grossly liable if anything happened in the air not to mention the introduction of risk to other passengers, so I can understand where they were coming from.

Refund the ticket? I'd support that.

Put her death on their shoulders and hold them liable? You've got to be kidding.

Wil Ufgood
11-27-2012, 18:58
I like it when there is a fat person on the same flight as me. I can let loose some nasty farts and everyone assumes it's them. Makes me giggle every time.

2bgop
11-27-2012, 19:05
Most likely scenario. Ticket to Europe sold and honored. Someone got complaints about the person. Someone at the airline investigated and realized that:

A) Sharing a cabin with a fat ugly person offended some paying passengers.

B) Carrying the person cost extra due to reasonable accomodations requried.

C) The person in question was probably only going to fly one more time at most, except as cargo possibly.

D) The offended passengers will probably fly many more times.

E) That a fat ugly horribly unhealthy person might die on their nice clean airplane and expose the airline to financial risk.

F) We're the airline, we can do whatever we want as long as we spin it right. Especially since 95% of people have no sympathy for someone who is fat.

This is why we have courts. If half the people in GNG had their way corporations could do anything they wanted to make a buck with no consequences and if the other half had their way there wouldn't be any corporations because they would have all been driven out of business.

Did you read the article?

devildog2067
11-27-2012, 19:12
Most likely scenario.

Instead of making up a "most likely scenario" why don't you just read the article?

Gallium
11-27-2012, 19:14
Instead of making up a "most likely scenario" why don't you just read the article?

Where's the fun in that???? :animlol:

Drain You
11-27-2012, 19:16
It's ironic she died in Hungary.

*golf clap*

Bruce M
11-27-2012, 19:57
:rofl::rofl:

Yes, she is very obese.

My thoughts:

- G:agree:

rgregoryb
11-27-2012, 20:34
seems they could have just put her in the Atlantic and she would have floated home......

Miloe
11-27-2012, 20:37
Lets say they get her in the plane, rig up some seatbelt/seating arrangement...
And the plane crashes, she can't move under her own power AT ALL, how many people could die when she blocks an aisle?
Or someone leaves her in a burning plane because no one can move her?
Yes it's a bit far fetched but what if?

G26S239
11-27-2012, 20:57
And the plane crashes, she can't move under her own power AT ALL, how many people could die when she blocks an aisle?
Those are scenarios that airlines must consider. That aside I would hate being seated next to someone who overflows their seat for 10 to 17 hours.

AK_Stick
11-27-2012, 21:13

That's not really my prime concern. If you go down that hard, it's probably too late.

My concern would be more, what happens if you have to make a rough landing or controlled ditch? Those seats and belts are not designed to hold up to the stress of a 407 lb she beast. Similarly, what happens when she hits the next row of seats because her row failed? Or, also possible, her restraint acts like a cheese cutter and you now have 2 200 lb hunks of dead weight unrestrained in the cabin.....

It's a safety issue for everyone aboard, not just her. And lastly, because fat people stink. Who wants to sit near/ be subjected to that simply because she was slovenly.

11-27-2012, 21:36
That's not really my prime concern. If you go down that hard, it's probably too late.

My concern would be more, what happens if you have to make a rough landing or controlled ditch? Those seats and belts are not designed to hold up to the stress of a 407 lb she beast. Similarly, what happens when she hits the next row of seats because her row failed? Or, also possible, her restraint acts like a cheese cutter and you now have 2 200 lb hunks of dead weight unrestrained in the cabin.....

It's a safety issue for everyone aboard, not just her. And lastly, because fat people stink. Who wants to sit near/ be subjected to that simply because she was slovenly.
Slovenly.:rofl:

How long have you been waiting to use that word in a post?:cool:

GWG19
11-27-2012, 21:58
Blaming the airlines. How about somebody blame the husband for not getting the medical attention his wife needed.

AK_Stick
11-27-2012, 22:02
Speaking of flying, I dig that AH-6i avatar.

Zombiegargoyle
11-28-2012, 00:34
She should have went to Sth East Asia on holiday. Everyone in my tour group of Nam spent a week on the toilet.

G23Gen4TX
11-28-2012, 01:48
So did she end up flying back in cargo after all? At least she got to do it lying down this time.

I just don't get it. If you are that big and immobile, someone must be feeding you cheeseburgers.

JW1178
11-28-2012, 06:38
I hope southpark does an episode about this where Cartman gets rejected from the plane because he's so fat.