Galaxy Nexus 4 - back in stock today [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Galaxy Nexus 4 - back in stock today

TBO
11-27-2012, 16:59
Google Play website jammed with the people trying to place orders.

Get one if you can. :cool:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Nexus-4-New-Stock-Google-Play-Store-New-Shipment,19340.html

Drain You
11-27-2012, 19:18
I'd like to, but I found a prepaid phone that is $120 cheaper and will be $20 a month cheaper to use.

Not to mention I'll be on Verizon towers instead of At&t

TBO
11-27-2012, 19:33
I jumped in, now I'll have to pick a pay as you go provider.

I'll only buy a month @ a time to start, for test purposes, and think I'll start with straight talk.

Sent from the toe of my jack boot using Tapatalk 2

harlenm
11-27-2012, 19:53
No LTE=No thanks.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

jtmac
11-27-2012, 20:37
No LTE=No thanks.

Actually, it turns out it does support Band 4 LTE (T-Mobile here in the US), you just have to enable it.

But I never understood people who say they need 20+ megabits download speed on their phone connection.

Kevin108
11-27-2012, 21:00
No VZW 4G and unimpressive battery life make it a no-go for me. I'm holding out to pick up a used Razr Maxx. I'm over this 6-8 hour battery life my 2-year-old Droid X has dwindled down to.

harlenm
11-27-2012, 21:14
Actually, it turns out it does support Band 4 LTE (T-Mobile here in the US), you just have to enable it.

But I never understood people who say they need 20+ megabits download speed on their phone connection.

Lte really shines in weak signal areas. When you only have one bar on hspap, and are struggling to get 1-2mbps down and even less up, an lte connection will still pull over 10mbps down and up.

StarvinMarvin
12-01-2012, 12:09
I jumped in, now I'll have to pick a pay as you go provider.

I'll only buy a month @ a time to start, for test purposes, and think I'll start with straight talk.

It's a sweet phone, I purchased it on release and (im)patiently waited 2 weeks for google to ship it out. I'm still waiting on my service to run out on my last phone before porting my current number over to google voice. Then I'll probably try out Straight talk (both tmob and att).

I did pop a tmobile sim in on the $30 100 minute plan just to test out their data.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk148/eczysco23456/Glocktalk/Screenshot_2012-12-01-13-25-34.png

Way faster then the crap "3g" I was getting on sprint ~100kbps down or so.

TBO
12-02-2012, 13:32
I'd be more than happy with that.

sputnik767
12-02-2012, 13:35

To tether to your laptop/tablet/desktop. To stream HD videos, no-wait music, Skype. And above all, just because we can, since we pay a lot of money for our 4G connection.

TBO
12-02-2012, 13:49
To tether to your laptop/tablet/desktop. To stream HD videos, no-wait music, Skype. And above all, just because we can, since we pay a lot of money for our 4G connection.

I'd agree, but since most carriers cap the data it's not realistic to feed your computer for video or stream music.

sputnik767
12-02-2012, 13:57
I'd agree, but since most carriers cap the data it's not realistic to feed your computer for video or stream music.

I am with Sprint though, so my data is unlimited. Sprint has also not turned on LTE in NYC yet, but should do so in the coming months. But even with limited data, tethering to your laptop at 20 Mb/s is faster than 2 Mb/s. If you are just doing it for necessary tasks, you'd be pulling the same amount of data regardless of speed.

TBO
12-02-2012, 14:09
What type of speed are you currently getting out of Sprint?
Last time I had them it was just over 1mb down, forget what up was.
Everyone is waiting to see what their data policy will be once they go fully LTE.

Sent from the capacitor of my Taser using Tapatalk 2

harlenm
12-02-2012, 14:18
It's a sweet phone, I purchased it on release and (im)patiently waited 2 weeks for google to ship it out. I'm still waiting on my service to run out on my last phone before porting my current number over to google voice. Then I'll probably try out Straight talk (both tmob and att).

I did pop a tmobile sim in on the $30 100 minute plan just to test out their data.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk148/eczysco23456/Glocktalk/Screenshot_2012-12-01-13-25-34.png

Way faster then the crap "3g" I was getting on sprint ~100kbps down or so.

Tmobiles hspa42 network has awesome download speed, but crap upload.

And their 42 network has little coverage area. When I had them for a few weeks a whole ago when they only had a hspa21 network, I saw about 6-8 down tops, but most of the time I was on gprs

sputnik767
12-02-2012, 14:21
What type of speed are you currently getting out of Sprint?
Last time I had them it was just over 1mb down, forget what up was.
Everyone is waiting to see what their data policy will be once they go fully LTE.

Sent from the capacitor of my Taser using Tapatalk 2

Depends on where I am. In Far Rockaway, Queens, I am lucky to get 300 Kb/s down and half of that up. Just a few miles away in Long Island, I can get around 1.5 Mb/s down and about half that up. In Battery Park City (lower Manhattan) I can easily get 2.2 Mb/s down with half of that up. With my old 4G Wimax phone, I would average 5 Mb/s where I had 4G, and as high as 10-12 Mb/s in some places. There is currently a functional Sprint LTE test tower in the Bronx, and people have reported getting around 18-20 Mb/s on it. I have no business in the Bronx, so I haven't tried it myself.

I suspect that Sprint will remain unlimited for the foreseeable future. Let's face it, people don't stick to them because they are good, people stick with them because they are cheap (offer lots of features for a comparably low price). If they were to cut their unlimited data plan, I would no longer have a reason to stay with them.

TBO
12-02-2012, 14:41
Don't disagree with much of that.

My #1 issue is work vs home.
Where I work the main providers are at their speediest.
Where I live, us more challenging.
Of course 1 tower could change all this.

Thanks for the reply, sounds like our Sprint speeds are similar. Good to hear the speed off that LTE tower.

TBO
12-08-2012, 14:01
I have mine, just waiting for the sim card to arrive.
So far I'm blown away by the responsiveness, the quad-core CPU really delivers. :strong:

I've been googling to get up to speed quick on it and Jelly Bean's features. Very slick. Like any good system it's not "one thing" that makes/breaks it, but the sum of the parts. Really liking what I see so far, but tired of feeding it through wireless, want my sim card now! (looks like Wed delivery).

Dragoon44
12-08-2012, 14:23
Just had to have the newest and shiniest didn't ya?

:tongueout::wavey:

TBO
12-08-2012, 14:56
:tbo:

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2