Any Ramen Connoisseurs? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any Ramen Connoisseurs?

GLWyandotte
11-27-2012, 16:59
Asian stores by me have an incredible variety of ramen noodle packs- bags, bowls, cups....
In college we ate Maruchan 5/$1 variety. Ick!
FFW 30 years.
I started trying a few- Wei Wei, Vi Wong, Indo Mei. Really interesting flavors- BBQ chicken, roast duck, kung fu beef, Toam Yum-. Kind of neat- these all have the standard foil seasoning pack, but they also come with things like packs of chili oil, fried onions, some creamy lard-looking things.

Anyone else into these cheap eats?

devildog2067
11-27-2012, 17:05
Yes, but you can't use the words "cheap ramen" and "connoisseur" in the same sentence.

I make mine from scratch.

Batesmotel
11-27-2012, 17:13
I like the vacuum packed or frozen ones. Not the dried ones.

Add an egg and some vegetables.

GLWyandotte
11-27-2012, 17:17
Yes, but you can't use the words "cheap ramen" and "connoisseur" in the same sentence.

I make mine from scratch.

Actually, I didn't even use them in the same paragraph if you want to nitpick.

I can do the scratch thing- I'm an Executive Chef so...

Just interested in who enjoys the varieties sold by Asian stores for a quick bite.

devildog2067
11-27-2012, 17:20
Actually, I didn't even use them in the same paragraph if you want to nitpick.

Touchy, eh?

I can do the scratch thing- I'm an Executive Chef so...
Then I'm sure yours is better than mine.

Just interested in who enjoys the varieties sold by Asian stores for a quick bite.

I grew up on Neoguri Udon and I still eat it once in a while, but I can't take all of the salt and MSG very often.

acaligunner
11-27-2012, 17:21
Asian stores by me have an incredible variety of ramen noodle packs- bags, bowls, cups....
In college we ate Maruchan 5/$1 variety. Ick!
FFW 30 years.
I started trying a few- Wei Wei, Vi Wong, Indo Mei. Really interesting flavors- BBQ chicken, roast duck, kung fu beef, Toam Yum-. Kind of neat- these all have the standard foil seasoning pack, but they also come with things like packs of chili oil, fried onions, some creamy lard-looking things.

Anyone else into these cheap eats?

Oh boy, not that. :puking::puking:

Those things have a heck of a lot of salt, and was rated the worst 'stuff' you could eat.

Altaris
11-27-2012, 17:24
The Ramen places in Japan were Awesome!!!
...and they were pretty cheap too.

oldgraywolf
11-27-2012, 17:31
DD, please tell us more about making them from scratch. I've never eaten them because of the sodium content but I suspect I'd like them.

GLWyandotte
11-27-2012, 17:34
I grew up on Neoguri Udon and I still eat it once in a while, but I can't take all of the salt and MSG very often.

Thanks, I did see some Udon varieties, I'll try them next. I know what you mean about the salt though, I'm sensitive to salt to begin with, so these things require me to hydrate like crazy.

devildog2067
11-27-2012, 17:42
DD, please tell us more about making them from scratch. I've never eaten them because of the sodium content but I suspect I'd like them.

I use

1 cup flour
2 eggs
big pinch of salt
small pinch of wheat gluten (my wife keeps this on hand for baking bread)
shot glass full of cold water

knead it until smooth and the let it sit for 30 minutes, then roll very flat and cut into noodles or run it through a pasta extruder. Boil for 4-5 minutes and that's it. I usually double the recipe and do it in the Kitchenaid mixer with a dough hook, b/c I'm a lazy bastard.

For the soup, I use homemade stock (pork usually, but sometimes beef) with some miso and some soy sauce and some garlic and some ginger. I like onions in mine but I think that's usually frowned upon

Chop some scallions, fry some thick-cut bacon, and poach an egg in the boiling soup and you're done. I usually put in some Brussels sprouts or green beans too, but it just depends on what's on hand.

oldgraywolf
11-27-2012, 17:44
Thank you!

Patchman
11-27-2012, 18:05
I use

1 cup flour
2 eggs
big pinch of salt

knead it until smooth and the let it sit for 30 minutes, then roll very flat and cut into noodles or run it through a pasta extruder. Boil for 4-5 minutes and that's it. I usually double the recipe and do it in the Kitchenaid mixer with a dough hook, b/c I'm a lazy bastard.

For the soup, I use homemade stock (pork usually, but sometimes beef) with some miso and some soy sauce and some garlic and some ginger. I like onions in mine but I think that's usually frowned upon

Chop some scallions, fry some thick-cut bacon, and poach an egg in the boiling soup and you're done. I usually put in some Brussels sprouts or green beans too, but it just depends on what's on hand.

First, if you go with the store bought Ramen, you absolutely need to read the label. Salt through the roof and fat way beyond what'd you expect (they're deep fried).

Sure they taste great, yes, but we'd rather just go with the fresh (refrigerated) Japanese udon noodles. Use chicken/beef broth, any left over BBQ meats, an egg or two, and frozen corn. And any fresh vegetable(s) on hand is good too.

For soup base, I like curry. So we have have a tub of both red and green curry paste in the refrigerator. Throw a spoonful in the boiling water just like you would miso soup base.

LSUAdman
11-28-2012, 08:18
I use

1 cup flour
2 eggs
big pinch of salt

Thanks DD - trying this right now. I had to add a little more water (1.5 shot) because the consistency was a little dry. Also, didnt have any wheat gluten, but google says that can be optional. Hope it turns out well!

fnfalman
11-28-2012, 08:21
I go to this joint for good ramen.

http://daikoku-ten.com/

Bren
11-28-2012, 08:53
I like the Maruchan in the cups - mainly shrimp. That's the only ramen I eat. Cost $.29 a cup here.