Netflix instant- Korean War mini series [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Netflix instant- Korean War mini series

mac66
11-27-2012, 17:05
I inadvertently ran across this TV series while looking for war movies. I've been watching a lot of foreign movies about the Korean war and WWII specifically about the Japenese invasion of China, Tawian, Nanking. There are quite a few Korean made Korean war movies. Some are pretty good. Happy to share my netflix instant list if anyone is interested.

Anyway, I thought this was a movie but it turned out to be a mini-series kind of like Band of Brothers. It is Korean made with subtitles. Pretty good production values and special effects though the story gets a little sappy at times and the continuity (lots of gun mistakes) makes it tough to watch if you are sensitive to those types of things. There are a few problems with it technically and it does feature a lot of stereotypical movie BS. Example: ROKs in trenches waiting for hordes of Chinese to attack. Sergeant tells his guys as they are watching the Chinese advance to "get ready" they all start racking their weapons (shells flying out etc). I almost burst out laughing. On the other hand the action is pretty good, the story isn't too bad.

If you've ever watched the TV show 'Combat' or 'The Rat Patrol' back in the day (yeah, I'm kinda old) it is kinda like that where the same GIs keep running into the same Germans and capture, help, escape, wound each other over and over. The ROKs keep running into the same NKs (north Koreans) over and over again, and of course there is the split family/brother against brother thing as well. I am on episode 9 now and am kinda hooked.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Legend_of_the_Patriots_Episode_4/70244899?trkid=496624

sbhaven
11-27-2012, 17:36
Watched a few episodes a week or so back. Was surprised at the money they threw at it for the lengthy fairly well made battle scenes in episode 1 and 2. Got sort of turned off at the cheesy way they try to "rescue" the commander at the end of episode 3. Haven't made time to watch any more of it.