Just Ordered Some Polycase Ammo! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Just Ordered Some Polycase Ammo!

Made in Austria
11-27-2012, 18:14
Just ordered some .380 ACP polycase ammo in pink :shocked:. Not that I need it or anything, but I was curious if this is really the future. The army seems to be anxious about this polycase ammo since it is a lot lighter than conventional ammo.

Check it out: http://www.polycaseammo.com/

Tiro Fijo
11-27-2012, 18:22
Price = everything here. If someone loads polymer cased range ammo cheaper than metallic and IF it is good then they will soon be rich. By the prices I see on the link this co. is not doing that. :whistling:

uz2bUSMC
11-27-2012, 18:45
Just ordered some .380 ACP polycase ammo in pink :shocked:. Not that I need it or anything, but I was curious if this is really the future. The army seems to be anxious about this polycase ammo since it is a lot lighter than conventional ammo.

Check it out: http://www.polycaseammo.com/

Pink? For yourself?

Made in Austria
11-27-2012, 18:45
Price = everything here. If someone loads polymer cased range ammo cheaper than metallic and IF it is good then they will soon be rich. By the prices I see on the link this co. is not doing that. :whistling:

I know right, the prices didn't look very attractive to me either. I can get a box of 25 Hornady Critical Defense in .380 Auto at Bass Pro for the same price (~$20). Polycaseammo says that their poly ammo is not reloadable. So I guess this ammo is only attractive to the military and nothing more than a funny gimmick for civilians. But, still I had to order a box in case it becomes something not everyone has or even heard of.

Made in Austria
11-27-2012, 18:50
Pink? For yourself?

My wife has a .380 Ruger LCP, she likes pink stuff. Also, I thought it might be funny to have some pink ammo on hand.

uz2bUSMC
11-27-2012, 18:52
my wife has a .380 ruger lcp, she likes pink stuff. Also, i thought it might be funny to have some pink ammo on hand.

.....k.

Merkavaboy
11-27-2012, 19:37
Let us know how well it functions.

dkf
11-27-2012, 19:45
Looks like it has a brass or steel rim?

Not reloadable = Not for me

michael e
11-27-2012, 19:50
I hope it doesn't take off. I wish everyone would shoot brass and then leave it all for me .

janice6
11-27-2012, 19:57
"It eliminates re-loading". (from the company claims)

This is the future? eliminating personal reloading of ammunition so the government just waits until the brass is gone and now they control ammunition?

I am really in favor of technology advancement, but this is a threat to personal weapons. Better than bans and taxes. Just mandate poly-Al cases and you have total control after a couple of years, without protest.

Sure, I'm paranoid. It's kept me alive for a long time.

Made in Austria
11-27-2012, 20:56
I hope it doesn't take off. But I have a feeling it will sooner or later. Poly ammo has just too many advantages, right now I can think only of one disadvantage of this ammo which is, it's not reloadable. The problem is that there are not a whole lot of reloaders out there which would never buy plastic ammo crap.

dkf
11-27-2012, 21:19
I really don't think we need more products that are made primarily of oil which we use once and throw away.(have plenty of those already) I would also be interested if it will divot when loaded into a mag for long periods of time.

Andy W
11-27-2012, 22:32

This is the future? eliminating personal reloading of ammunition so the government just waits until the brass is gone and now they control ammunition?

I am really in favor of technology advancement, but this is a threat to personal weapons. Better than bans and taxes. Just mandate poly-Al cases and you have total control after a couple of years, without protest.

The government would have to make a pretty interesting argument to justify outlawing brass cases or mandate that they all be polymer. If they do this, you can be damn sure its gonna be challenged in the courts and will probably make it all the way to the Supreme Court. They cannot just come right out and say "we want to to this as a back door way to ban civilian handloading of ammunition." That will be shot down really fast, probably even by some of the more liberal justices on the court. I also don't see how they could claim it is more environmentally friendly to use polymer cases or that polymer cases are somehow safer. It's an obvious infringment on the Second Amendment and also it's not a valid use of the Commerce Clause or Necessary and Proper Clause.

Basically, if such a law were passed, the government would have a really hard time justifying it.

LSUAdman
11-28-2012, 08:28
This is really interesting. A few years ago, my brother in law and I were talking at Christmas and he was telling me how his company was developing poly-ammo for the military. It went on for a few years, but I dont think the .mil ended up using the technology - at least not in the quanitity that my brother in law thought they would.

Part of the RFP that I thought was interesting was that they .mil requested that the cases not be reloadable. I thought , "duh, how could it be reloadable." But, my PHD brother in law says they actually did get a prototype .223 to reload twice before the case was unusable.

In the first generation, these cases were highly unstaible. He showed me the remnants of several bushmaster lower receivers that ka-boomed. I wonder if this company has links to that research or developed this on their own.

kmrcstintn
11-28-2012, 10:51
about 4 to 6 years ago a different company (or perhaps the same company under a different name) also made polymer cased ammo...I remember seeing .38 special and .223 Remington; it was here & gone in a matter months; I should have snagged a few boxes of the .38 special for nostaliga;

guess what my point is that this has been tried before and didn't catch on...

brisk21
11-28-2012, 17:21
This is the worst idea since small primer .45 auto ammo.

kfive
11-28-2012, 21:01
interested in how it shoots.....also how long in the clip

SCmasterblaster
11-29-2012, 15:11
This is the worst idea since small primer .45 auto ammo.

AMEN, brother. :cool:

dukeblue91
11-30-2012, 06:59
I don't think it is a bad idea.
As all technology it will advance and get better.
So yes it was tried before and failed but thats not a reason to give up on something.
The price point too will come down if critical mass production is reached and thus will be cheaper then Brass or metal shells.
Their is also no reason why Brass and Poly ammo can't live side by side.
It does not have to be only one or the other.

Good example is when the first poly frame guns came to market.
That too was the worse Idea ever, said by all the gun fans at the time.

tcruse
11-30-2012, 09:17
I think that it is interesting, however, for it to be successful it must be cheaper than the other alternatives. The CCI Blazer aluminum case is not cheap enough to replace brass and steel cases for most of us. The nylon jacket is also not cheap enough to replace the plated/jacketed bullet. Today, steel cases is the cheapest and used by many. The only current downside to steel is that some ranges do not allow it. Also, many of us will use US made ammo when the price difference is not too great.
Cabelas TNJ offering is good range ammo, just not cheaper than WWB or Federal from Walmart (that is copper and re-loadable)

SCmasterblaster
12-01-2012, 11:31
My wife has a .380 Ruger LCP, she likes pink stuff. Also, I thought it might be funny to have some pink ammo on hand.

As a 56-year-old, G17-owning USN veteran, I have a hard time of thinking of any ammo a cute, no matter what the color.

Made in Austria
12-14-2012, 21:47
Here are some pics of the polymer case ammo next to our trusty Ruger LCP. The rim of the casing appears to be made of aluminum. Sorry for the crappy iPhone pics :upeyes:

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd419/wolfgun/IMG_0055.jpg

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd419/wolfgun/IMG_0056.jpg

M 7
12-14-2012, 22:52
about 4 to 6 years ago a different company (or perhaps the same company under a different name) also made polymer cased ammo...I remember seeing .38 special and .223 Remington; it was here & gone in a matter months; I should have snagged a few boxes of the .38 special for nostaliga;

guess what my point is that this has been tried before and didn't catch on...

It was also attempted in the late 1980s- can't remember the name of the company- they were producing pistol/revolver caliber ammo with red and blue cases. They lasted maybe 3 years.

I doubt that it'll catch on this time, too.

Looks like someone else is gonna give it a try also-

http://pcpammo.com/

dkf
12-14-2012, 22:58
Here are some pics of the polymer case ammo next to our trusty Ruger LCP. The rim of the casing appears to be made of aluminum. Sorry for the crappy iPhone pics :upeyes:

My what purty bullets you have.:pjmn:

:supergrin::supergrin::supergrin:

Made in Austria
12-15-2012, 01:43
:aodnsb:

Just to make this clear, It's my wife's ammo, lol.

RRP
12-15-2012, 03:27
After you've used it, let us know if it's pink inside.

Foxtrotx1
12-15-2012, 03:39

Welcome to the tinfoil zone.

SCmasterblaster
12-15-2012, 11:53
If plastic case ammo is the wave of the future, I wonder if it is reloadable.

dkf
12-15-2012, 13:07
If plastic case ammo is the wave of the future, I wonder if it is reloadable.

That is what several in this thread have mentioned and the manufacturers website said. It is not reloadable.

SCmasterblaster
12-15-2012, 14:01
That is what several in this thread have mentioned and the manufacturers website said. It is not reloadable.

Bummer!

gatorboy
12-19-2012, 14:02
Aluminum cases are so much lighter than brass it's all I keep in my spare mags. A 22 rd. mag you can really feel the difference. CCI used to load GD 180's in them not sure if they do any more. They do still load 44 special GD 200's though and sell them in 50 rd. boxes.

SCmasterblaster
12-19-2012, 20:16
Aluminum cases are so much lighter than brass it's all I keep in my spare mags. A 22 rd. mag you can really feel the difference. CCI used to load GD 180's in them not sure if they do any more. They do still load 44 special GD 200's though and sell them in 50 rd. boxes.

How well do Alum-cased cartridges feed and extract in autoloading pistols?

Merkavaboy
12-19-2012, 21:35
How well do Alum-cased cartridges feed and extract in autoloading pistols?

Never had a single problem with Blazer aluminum cased ammo, even with the very first case design. It even functioned in my HK P7M8 and my buddie's HK 94 carbine. I still have 4K rounds in 9mm.

Merkavaboy
12-19-2012, 21:42
Here's a link to the new LSAT SAW using polymer cased telescoped ammunition.

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2012/11/07/lsat-the-9-pound-lmg/

SCmasterblaster
12-20-2012, 09:46
Never had a single problem with Blazer aluminum cased ammo, even with the very first case design. It even functioned in my HK P7M8 and my buddie's HK 94 carbine. I still have 4K rounds in 9mm.

4K rounds in CA? For how much longer?

1RoundEye
01-26-2013, 18:26
I ran into Polycase at the SHOT Show last week when I was there with the guys from GunVault.TV (http://www.gunvault.tv/GunVault.TV.html). They invited us out to the range and we got to shoot about 400 rounds of the stuff, and I have to say it functions flawlessly. You expect it to feel different, but the truth is that it doesn't. One thing notable is that the cases are cool to the touch and you can catch them coming out of the gun, so that's good for those of us that have been hit by hot brass.

They let me take a few hundred rounds home, so I did a quick review, but I'll be taking some to the range shortly to do a more thorough one.

SHOT Show 2013 | Polycase Ammunition - YouTube

They only offer .380 at the moment, but they said 9mm and .45 are in the works and should be available soon. I expect that the price point will do down as soon as they get their manufacturing ducks in a row.

Tiro Fijo
01-26-2013, 20:17
As I stated before: PRICE is the only factor here. If they are not significantly cheaper than brass or aluminum they are doomed to fail and with the price of components I don't see this happening.

M 7
01-27-2013, 09:59

Yep. Sounds like something Zero & Co. would approve of- they could also have a 10 cent deposit on each spent case so we don't pollute the environment. :upeyes: