Best waterproofing for boots? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best waterproofing for boots?

Henry's Dad
11-27-2012, 21:46
I've tried a few readily-available products over the years (Kiwi's Mink Oil and various silicone spray cans), but I'm wondering what else people use.

In particular, what product(s) works well for boots that are a combo of leather and nylon?

HollowHead
11-27-2012, 21:49
Sno-Seal. It's a beeswax goo you smear on and then hit with a hairdryer. HH

2bgop
11-27-2012, 22:15
Sno Seal works pretty well, compared to others, but they all do a pretty poor job in my opinion.

ithaca_deerslayer
11-27-2012, 22:34
The best, in my opinion is either gore-tex or rubber.

itisbruno
11-27-2012, 22:58
Sno-Seal. It's a beeswax goo you smear on and then hit with a hairdryer. HH

Sno Seal works pretty well, compared to others, but they all do a pretty poor job in my opinion.

My adivce as well.

Cake it on and heat the boots.

stevelyn
11-28-2012, 02:44
I've been happy with Obenauf's. I use it on all my leather items....slings, sport holsters, leather boots...... You can find it now at places like Sportsman's Warehouse.

https://www.obenaufs.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=57

For true waterproofness, you really need to wear rubber boots or newer Gore-Tex lined boots. Plain leather boots and shoes saturated in any waterproofing dressing are still going to leak somewhere through the stitching or where glued surfaces aren't completely sealed.

syntaxerrorsix
11-28-2012, 04:52
One of my CSM's once comment on the fact that the only time leather was waterproof is when it's on the cow.

CBennett
11-28-2012, 06:46
I've tried a few readily-available products over the years (Kiwi's Mink Oil and various silicone spray cans), but I'm wondering what else people use.

In particular, what product(s) works well for boots that are a combo of leather and nylon?

Depends. Most or a lot of the stuff thats the "best" will change the color(mostly darken) a boot. if you dont care then there are several excellent ones you can use...now if you love the way your boots look and want them to look the same after treatment you severely limit yourself.

sno seal and mink oil work well(with sno seal being better) but will likely change the color. That said since they invented Goretex thats all I use(or the similar brands) but in the old days B4 goretex all my hunting boots used Sno Seal.

scccdoc
11-28-2012, 06:48

New ones

SPIN2010
11-28-2012, 06:50
I use Ballistol on mine outside (goretex inside) ... works great.

Arc Angel
11-28-2012, 07:42
I've got Pecard's, 'Leather Dressing' on all of my leather: holsters, sheaths, slings, gun belts, and shoes. (My Bible's high quality leather cover, too!) :) Been using it for more than 20 years; and I really like it.

(The hair dryer trick is a good one; just don't let the leather get too warm - OK. I'll often almost let the wax not quite melt into the leather and, then, let the treated item dry for a day, or two, anyway. This seems to be a better thing to do than really heating up the leather and melting the treatment in all at once.)

http://www.pecard.com/

Warning: Use any leather dressing sparingly and as infrequently as possible. If you use too much, or apply it too often, you'll make the leather extremely soft and, 'paper-like'. It will either tear, or wear out quite easily.

Steel Head
11-28-2012, 08:21
I've been happy with Obenauf's. I use it on all my leather items....slings, sport holsters, leather boots...... You can find it now at places like Sportsman's Warehouse.

https://www.obenaufs.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=57

For true waterproofness, you really need to wear rubber boots or newer Gore-Tex lined boots. Plain leather boots and shoes saturated in any waterproofing dressing are still going to leak somewhere through the stitching or where glued surfaces aren't completely sealed.

This is my opinion also:wavey:
I was standing/working in mud and water for 10 hours yesterday and my Obenaufs covered Gore tex lined boots kept all of the lil piggies dry and cozy.
Rubber boots work but are hell on my feet after more than an hour.

VC-Racing
11-28-2012, 08:40
I use Gokey waterproof and dressing on my Gokey Snake boots,. I've tried Kiwi mink oil but it doesn't seal the seams properly,

shooter1234
11-28-2012, 10:00

Nothing. And I'm not trying to be funny either, but NOTHING works. I've been light Infantry for a long time, and have been trying to find something to keep my feet dry all these years while breaking brush in the middle of jerkwater. Until now, nothing I have ever tried EVER worked worth a DAM. The best thing I tried, was a pair of Rocky Gore Tex socks I got from a British soldier. Now THOSE things work...

Happypuppy
11-28-2012, 10:38
Spray Silicon is the best, but not 100%. Most of the leakage is via seams. They secret to keeping boots waterproof is replace the oils every few months. Pecard makes the best stuff. They have been doing boot care products since 1910.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rinspeed
11-28-2012, 10:45
Sno-Seal works great for me, I think some people expect too much when it comes to waterproofing leather. If you want 100% waterproof better get rubber boots. :dunno:

DustyJacket
11-28-2012, 10:47
I don't know about the others, but I used Sno-Seal in the Army, police, and on my hiking and motorcycle boots, and have never had a problem with leaks. (They are all leather, though.)

I have not tried wading much with it though.

All Pro Sports Hero
11-28-2012, 10:54
http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/knue.com/files/2012/01/Flexseal.jpg

AK_Stick
11-28-2012, 12:08
I use camo dry on my hunting gear/army boots. Works great

FullClip
11-28-2012, 12:33
My experience with trying to waterproof my leather boots, is once you get enough oil or grease into the leather to keep the water out, you've ruined any insulation that the leather provided, and then my feet got cold, and if it was warm, my feet sweated and my socks got wet from the inside. Gortex has been a blessing...warm and dry is nice.

Mayhem like Me
11-28-2012, 12:36
Sno seal for tanned leather and seams, spray on silicon for rough out leather and nylon.

M&P15T
11-28-2012, 12:52
When I first saw the thread title, for some reason I read it as "Best waterproofing for boats".

So I'm sitting here thinking to myself, if your boat needs waterproofing, you gots some serious issues.:rofl::rofl: