new job [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : new job

trajan07
11-28-2012, 01:18
So after a year and a half of soul searching and self doubt...today I've been offered a great job and it seems like a perfect fit. Words cannot express how thankful I am nor how lucky I feel.

To those of us still on the market: hang in there and have faith. Decent jobs aren't exactly plentiful, but they're there.

Lone_Wolfe
11-28-2012, 01:27
Congrats! Good luck on the new job.

trajan07
11-28-2012, 02:02
thank you for the kind words :)

jpa
11-28-2012, 02:12
Congrats and good luck!

Scott3670
11-28-2012, 20:27
Outstanding! I wish you the very best of luck with your new job.

NH Trucker
11-28-2012, 20:32
Congrats on the new job!

aplcr0331
11-28-2012, 20:34
Nicely done. What did you do before? In the same field? What was the soul searching about/for? Just in time for Christmas...

trajan07
11-29-2012, 10:57
Nicely done. What did you do before? In the same field? What was the soul searching about/for? Just in time for Christmas...

I worked as an engineer for a DoE contractor working on a lot of nuclear non-proliferation projects. Most of my job though was, electrical and communication system design with a healthy dose of project management. This job is basically the same but for DoD and with a lot of secure wireless stuff going on.

The soul searching was a bit complicated. In between my last job and this one I had tried to start a software business with a couple of partners and it ended up falling flat. After that I'd sent out tons of resumes and months went by without even a call. I took a couple of classes at one of the local universities thinking that going back to work was a lost cause and I should just take this time to finish up my degree in EE. Then last week the call came and the rest is history. It still feels pretty surreal.

Combatcomm
11-29-2012, 12:53
Congratulation! Glad you did not give up. Make us proud.

FullClip
11-29-2012, 12:59
I worked as an engineer for a DoE contractor working on a lot of nuclear non-proliferation projects. ........

DANG!!! Nuclear non-proliferation!!! That's just like gun control on a larger scale! Thanks to folks like you I'll never get enough yellow cake to spin down and make my own little version of The Czar....:steamed:

Just kidding, :supergrin: and hope it works out for ya' But if ya' got a double E in your back pocket, doubt it you'll ever go hungry or have to look too hard for a job.

LASTRESORT20
11-29-2012, 13:05
Congrates on your new job and hanging in there!:)

Always good to have another hard working Tax-payer......................

arclight610
11-29-2012, 13:07
Congratulations!

LSUAdman
11-29-2012, 13:24
I'll echo the congrats of the others in this thread. Being out of work just plane sucks, and those that havent experienced it don't know how soul crushing it can be - especially if you have a family.

Fortunate favors those who keep trying, and its obvious here. It would have been easy to have left for your DoE job and given up, but you tried to go self employeed. I'm self employeed and I know how hard it is.

Again, you could have given up when the business didnt work out - but you didnt. You tried to better yourself, and in the end it all worked out.

Morale of the story - you're going to fail as much or more so than you suceed. If sucess was easy, it wouldnt feel so damn good!

dvrdwn72
11-29-2012, 13:34
Congrats,,, It pays not to give up. Hope it goes real well for you.

exmdshooter
11-29-2012, 13:46
Congrats OP - be thankful, enjoy the good luck, but also know that you've earned this... now don't blow it!

j/k

Been unemployed for 10 months here, and while it's hard some days in general my spirits are good and I keep plugging away looking for that next opportunity. I'm also an engineer - Systems with a hardware background - and have spent the bulk of my career in the defense biz. Things are tough out there right now, but there's always a demand for talented people who aren't afraid to roll up their sleeves and do the work.