Salvage vehicle inheritence [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Salvage vehicle inheritence

meathead19
11-28-2012, 06:41
My Dad totalled his 1989 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 couple yrs ago when he pulled infront of someone.

The adjuster declared it salvage but dad had it fixed and still drives it to this day.

At some point in the near future, I will have to make a decision to either sell it or keep it as a third car that will just sit in the driveway 90% of the time.

With it being salvage, I"m sure it's on the carfax, so I'd probably get nothing for it at trade in or if I try to sale.

Should I just keep it and drive it occassionally? The taxes would be minimal.....$60.00/per year maybe.

thanks.

JDennis
11-28-2012, 07:02
If it runs well try to sell outright. If its a regular cherokee, those have a strong market in the offroad world. A dealer figures salvage at 50% of clean value. Better to sell it outright if you don't keep it.

220-9er
11-28-2012, 07:09
Taxes are a small part of the cost. The insurance usually costs a lot more, even part time use. Also, cars that sit around a lot can have other maintenance issues.

RenoF250
11-28-2012, 07:10
Cherokees aren't worth much non salvage. I was given one that I am planning to take the 4.0L out of. You could try to sell it outright or sell it to a Jeep salvage yard. I think I would just keep it around though.

meathead19
11-28-2012, 07:13
Taxes are a small part of the cost. The insurance usually costs a lot more, even part time use. Also, cars that sit around a lot can have other maintenance issues.

Darn...forgot about insurance.

I would drive it on weekends around town/run errands.

Sam Spade
11-28-2012, 09:44
Regardless of carfax, it's going to be a salvage title you try to transfer. That puts the value in the toilet; it's probably worth more parted out.

tarpleyg
11-28-2012, 09:49
Just keep it and drive it occasionally.

Dubble-Tapper
11-28-2012, 09:51
seeing as how youd not get much for the salvage titled jeep, id keep it for an extra thrashing rig. its so fun to have an extra car you dont give a **** about. if i have a vehicle i cant get more than 800-1000 bucks for, ill just take it out and have a blast drifting, jumping, crawling, burnouts, rolling, etc... its worth it.

Gareth68
11-28-2012, 10:04
For me, and maybe this is just me, once you start looking at a 20+ year old 4wd vehicle, I no longer care if the title is salvage or not.

I'm looking at overall condition, rust, major repairs, in general seeing if it is a good start for a project I have in mind or a beater.

Oh, I'll note the salvage title and pay special attention to the tread wear and frame.....but it sure wouldn't be a deal breaker.

larry_minn
11-28-2012, 13:55
Why not a combo? clean it up, advertise it on creiglist type sites with high min. Lots of pics. Meeting place in public. IF someone has the $$$ let it go, if not keep it.

janice6
11-28-2012, 14:02
Up here many people keep a 4 wheel drive to just plow their driveways. I don't mean 3 feet of snow at a time, but they like to drive cars and have long or complicated driveways that require more than a snow blower. You might advertise it for plowing and get some money for it.

A salvage title doesn't mean it is worthless. Even though insurance companies may think so.