Bought a cool propane heater. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bought a cool propane heater.

sheriff733
11-28-2012, 07:22
Last week, I was talking to my dad who was talking about my grandparents heat being electric and what would happen if the power went out for an extended period and how we would help protect them and yada yada.

Anyways, he mentioned seeing a heater called the "Mr. Heater Big Buddy" at *gasp* Wal-Mart for $119.

http://www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=41&id=116

Well, I started thinking about it and after hearing he was going to buy them one in case of emergency, I decided that since my heat was electric, that I was in the same boat.

So, after doing a couple hours research online, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on one and a couple of the little 16.4 oz Coleman propane tanks. I took it home and decided that I would try it out. Well, I was very pleasantly surprised because this bad boy puts off some heat! On top of that, it can run, on low, for 110 hours on one tank. It has one tank for each burner, so that's 220 hours of heat! It's approved for indoor use and claims to be almost 100% efficient. It has a couple safeguards built into it. If it tips over, it shuts off. Also, it has an oxygen sensor so if it gets too low in the area you are using it in, it shuts off then as well.

Anyways, I just wanted to share this nice little product with you all here. It seems to be well made and should last a long time.

Hope this helps someone.

:wavey:

Unlocked
11-28-2012, 07:37
Those are good little heaters. I have both the big buddy and the smaller one. I've used them quite a bit over the years. Good products.

jollygreen
11-28-2012, 07:54
It still produces poisonous gas and should be used only in a vented space.

sheriff733
11-28-2012, 08:08
It still produces poisonous gas and should be used only in a vented space.

True.

However, it is nice to have a fail-safe in place as well just in case.

IndyGunFreak
11-28-2012, 08:09
Use one for Winter camping.. a lot. Ventilation is important.

Key thing... (and I believe it's in the instruction manual). If it's connected to a propane tree (how I usually use mine)... when you go to shut it off, turn off fuel first, and the let the heater burn off what is left in the hose and the heater itself.. or you'll get this nasty residue that is hard to clean. It will shut itself off when it runs out of fuel.

I've never used the canisters, but I'm guessing there's similar instructions on this.

They're good heaters.. you'll like it. They keep a tent nice and toasty in 10 degree weather, just make sure you read the maintenance and proper use manual.

Detectorist
11-28-2012, 09:06
Realistically, don't expect 110 hours from a single 20lb propane tank. Probably more like 75-85 hours.

JimmyN
11-28-2012, 10:33
As long as the burners aren't faulty propane and natural gas don't produce any poisonous gases. That's why you can use propane fueled fork lifts inside a building or warehouse, no carbon monoxide. Carbon dioxide, nitrogen and water vapor are the only things coming out of the tailpipe. And millions are using natural gas and propane cook stoves and ventless wall heaters in their homes with no ill effects.

I have a natural gas stove, four burners that vent right into the room, as well as a natural gas unvented heater in the den. My neighbor has a 500 gallon underground propane tank so he has a propane stove/oven and a couple of wall heaters as well. The naysayers would tell me that I can't use a propane camp stove in my kitchen, or a propane heater unless I open the windows, or I'll suffer a horrible death. Yet I cook every day, for the last 25 years, on a natural gas stove vented into the room with no ill effects, and my neighbor is doing the same with propane. It's obviously a miracle we're surviving and I expect to be contacted by the Vatican any day now for a debriefing by the Pope. I do have two carbon monoxide detectors in case something should go wrong, but they have never gone off.

A propane burner will consume oxygen and produce carbon dioxide, so it's like having a bunch of extra people breathing in the room. Just like crowding 20 people into a small tent the CO2 levels will rise, and they will consume all the oxygen if there is inadequate fresh air into the space. So in a small space there is the danger of it consuming all the oxygen, that's why they have oxygen sensors to shut them off when oxygen levels get too low. But there are no toxins involved, it's not poisonous, and you won't fall victim to carbon monoxide since it's not producing any.

sheriff733
11-28-2012, 10:42
As long as the burners aren't faulty propane and natural gas don't produce any poisonous gases. That's why you can use propane fueled fork lifts inside a building or warehouse, no carbon monoxide. Carbon dioxide, nitrogen and water vapor are the only things coming out of the tailpipe. And millions are using natural gas and propane cook stoves and ventless wall heaters in their homes with no ill effects.

I have a natural gas stove, four burners that vent right into the room, as well as a natural gas unvented heater in the den. My neighbor has a 500 gallon underground propane tank so he has a propane stove/oven and a couple of wall heaters as well. The naysayers would tell me that I can't use a propane camp stove in my kitchen, or a propane heater unless I open the windows, or I'll suffer a horrible death. Yet I cook every day, for the last 25 years, on a natural gas stove vented into the room with no ill effects, and my neighbor is doing the same with propane. It's obviously a miracle we're surviving and I expect to be contacted by the Vatican any day now for a debriefing by the Pope. I do have two carbon monoxide detectors in case something should go wrong, but they have never gone off.

A propane burner will consume oxygen and produce carbon dioxide, so it's like having a bunch of extra people breathing in the room. Just like crowding 20 people into a small tent the CO2 levels will rise, and they will consume all the oxygen if there is inadequate fresh air into the space. So in a small space there is the danger of it consuming all the oxygen, that's why they have oxygen sensors to shut them off when oxygen levels get too low. But there are no toxins involved, it's not poisonous, and you won't fall victim to carbon monoxide since it's not producing any.

Great post. Thanks for sharing. I was not aware of that.

ray9898
11-28-2012, 10:49
I have a similar heater and it works great. If you read the manual on the heater it will tell you it needs 18 sq inches of ventalation. Crack a window and that is all you need. It also has a low oxygen failsafe on it.

G29Reload
11-28-2012, 11:07
Last week, I was talking to my dad who was talking about my grandparents heat being electric and what would happen if the power went out for an extended period and how we would help protect them and yada yada.

Anyways, he mentioned seeing a heater called the "Mr. Heater Big Buddy" at *gasp* Wal-Mart for $119.

http://www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=41&id=116

Well, I started thinking about it and after hearing he was going to buy them one in case of emergency, I decided that since my heat was electric, that I was in the same boat.

So, after doing a couple hours research online, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on one and a couple of the little 16.4 oz Coleman propane tanks. I took it home and decided that I would try it out. Well, I was very pleasantly surprised because this bad boy puts off some heat! On top of that, it can run, on low, for 110 hours on one tank. It has one tank for each burner, so that's 220 hours of heat! It's approved for indoor use and claims to be almost 100% efficient. It has a couple safeguards built into it. If it tips over, it shuts off. Also, it has an oxygen sensor so if it gets too low in the area you are using it in, it shuts off then as well.

Anyways, I just wanted to share this nice little product with you all here. It seems to be well made and should last a long time.

Hope this helps someone.

Um no. The hours you quoted are not for the coleman cylinders but for the bbq bottles if you get an adapter and youre not supposed to bring them in the house.

It does have a catalytic lconvertr and i use mine in the house on 1 lbers. It is a good heater.

sheriff733
11-28-2012, 11:27
Um no. The hours you quoted are not for the coleman cylinders but for the bbq bottles if you get an adapter and youre not supposed to bring them in the house.

It does have a catalytic lconvertr and i use mine in the house on 1 lbers. It is a good heater.

Yeah, you're right. That was a brain fart moment. I apologize.

Dennis in MA
11-28-2012, 18:31
18000 BTu's. for my garage and porch, I use one of those 18"x36" can heaters from HD. I only get about 10 hours from a 20lb tank, but a lot mor BTUs.

Hummer
11-28-2012, 20:37
Thanks to JimmyN for your good post. I hope you're right. :embarassed:

I've used the Portable Buddy heater in my hunting trailer for the past two seasons. It supplements the built in propane heater when temps get very cold. It works well, although the igniter system can be temperamental. I think it's safer than the older Mr. Heater, which is now relegated to winter warmups while working in the garage.

There were some early problems with the Buddy heaters not working at high altitude because of the oxygen sensors but apparently that's been fixed. Most of the hunting camps in my area are now using the Buddy heaters.

I have used mine with both the 1 lb. canisters and a 20 lb. bottle. Always check the gas connections with a spray bottle of soapy water solution. I plan to get 2 or 3 more Buddy heaters for emergency use.

certifiedfunds
11-28-2012, 20:47

Yeah that whole "don't use your stove to heat the house" bit never made sense.

what's the difference if I'm using it for heat or if there's a pot of water boiling on it?

econjon
11-28-2012, 21:22
I've used a big buddy heater in my tent while hunting/camping for the last 5 or 6 years and it doesn't matter how cold it gets outside (well below freezing most nights), even just on medium heat with the fan running it is comfortable enough that I usually end up sleeping on rather than in my sleeping bag.

It's a great heater!

Also, Cabela's sells a protective padded case made just for it that I highly recommend.

Edited to add link to case:

http://www.cabelas.com/heaters-accessories-heater-big-buddy-8482-carry-bag-1.shtml

It also holds two of the smaller propane bottles. Doesn't look like you can buy it through the website but says something about ordering over the phone, if you are interested.

TK-421
11-28-2012, 21:32
I'm so glad I live in Texas. Even in the dead of winter, if the power goes out and we lose heat, I just throw a pair of pants on instead of shorts. :rofl:

The only thing I'd be worried about is the pipes getting cold and dripping condensation, or potentially freezing, but I doubt Texas ever gets that cold for a long enough period of time. :tongueout: