The best meal after a fresh kill, what do you serve up? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The best meal after a fresh kill, what do you serve up?

GreenDrake
11-28-2012, 08:27
Ok here's some backstrap action that I have in a vacuum sealed marinade for tonight's dinner. I killed this deer on Saturday and butchered it up last night. What do you fellas usually serve up with yours? I am thinking rosemary red potatoes and corn, keep it basic. This is my absolute favorite meal, fresh backstrap right off the deer, never frozen and straight to the grill. Nothing better than nature's protein.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v462/motorcade1/backstraps.jpg

Dragoon189
11-28-2012, 08:34
The inner back straps are usually first, the never make it past the day the deer was shot

GreenDrake
11-28-2012, 08:35
The tenderloins you mean? Yeah, those are succulent. Those are appetizers.

JBnTX
11-28-2012, 08:38
Red potatoes and corn is good, but that's two starches.
I like red potatoes and green peas.

Quarter the red potatoes, toss with olive oil and spices,
then bake with onions and peppers.

GreenDrake
11-28-2012, 08:40
Red potatoes and corn is good, but that's two starches.
I like red potatoes and green peas.

Good point, JB. I am going to slice these and wrap in bacon to grill hot and fast though. Maybe fire roast some red and yellow peppers and grill them off with some morels. This meal may call for a really nice gourmet beer tonight.

Bren
11-28-2012, 08:48
Ok here's some backstrap action that I have in a vacuum sealed marinade for tonight's dinner. I killed this deer on Saturday and butchered it up last night. What do you fellas usually serve up with yours? I am thinking rosemary red potatoes and corn, keep it basic. This is my absolute favorite meal, fresh backstrap right off the deer, never frozen and straight to the grill. Nothing better than nature's protein.

That is also what I had, when I came home from hunting this year. It used to be a tradition to have deer liver and onions at camp, but now we hunt so close to my brother's house that we don't camp and nobody really likes liver.

I marinated the backstrap slices in mesquite marinade and wrapped them in bacon and grilled them.

sebecman
11-28-2012, 08:57
First is always the heart with onions....enjoyed as an appetizer while the liver and tenderlion are being prepared.

I would serve tenderlion with a green salad and buttered toast, nothing else.

Bren
11-28-2012, 08:59
First is always the heart with onions....enjoyed as an appetizer while the liver and tenderlion are being prepared.

I would serve tenderlion with a green salad and buttered toast, nothing else.

Never heard of anybody eating a deer heart before.

2bgop
11-28-2012, 09:06

I usually have it at camp also, it is pretty good, just don't over cook it. I like it more than liver.

GreenDrake
11-28-2012, 09:26
My friend's son, who helped me field dress it loves the heart. He was so happy when we pulled out the heart intact, no shrapnel. I put it in a baggie and gave it to him at the truck before we headed home. He felt like a kid on Christmas.

The liver, unfortunately didn't make it. I shot through both lungs and blew the liver to bits.

Dubble-Tapper
11-28-2012, 09:56

really? that was a delicacy according to all the old guys we went to deer or elk camp with. When we were young all the first killers were to consume the heart from their first deer. i was a sissy and only took a nibble, then cooked it. actually a good portion, good texture.

liver i cant stand though.

Hummer
11-28-2012, 10:14

Hmmm.... American Indians and the old time trappers would ceremoniously eat the heart raw at the kill site. I've been tempted....:supergrin: But, deer, elk and antelope heart are all excellent, either roasted whole or sliced and pan fried. I like moist roasting it, stuffed with a garlic and onion, sage and rosemary mix inside, and an accompanying corn meal muffin and liver stuffing outside. It's important not to over cook it. We'll get 2 or 3 meals out of an elk heart.

Right after a fresh kill we usually use the tenderloin either grilled whole or sliced and seared on skewers over the fire, along with veggie kebobs. Tenderloins tend to get bloodied so I usually brine them an hour or so before cooking. The tenderloins from this year's elk are the biggest I've ever seen, two meals worth for sure.

We're having elk and pronghorn steaks tonight with garlic, red onion, carrots and purple potatoes from our garden.

I like GreenDrake's vacuum sealed marinade, looks delicious.

KingWalleye
11-28-2012, 15:04
I always do the tenderloins with a couple of eggs and toast.
The backstraps usually get cut into butterfly chops.

nostalgiaguy
11-28-2012, 21:54
Last weekend it was tenderloin bites marinated in italian dressing and wrapped in bacon over the fire at deer camp. They didnt even make it into the cabin. 7 of us just plucked the ones we wanted off the grill top as they were done cooking. Made a perfect ap for the rest of the meal. Pork chops , fried potatoes and onions and greens.
Deer camp is magical . It makes everything taste better.

scwine
11-28-2012, 22:03
Sliced at about 3/4".
Soaked in Milk overnight.
Rolled in beat raw eggs, self rising flower seasoned w/ garlic powder, cajun seasoning, and black pepper.
Deep fried.

Yummo!

NeverMore1701
11-28-2012, 22:19
Right after? Liver sauteed with mushrooms and bacon.

Happypuppy
11-28-2012, 23:05
Right after? Liver sauteed with mushrooms and bacon.

+1 a tradition I think for many. We toss in lots of onion too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD