Good.

scccdoc
11-28-2012, 10:04
Looked idiotic anyway........... DOC

Gareth68
11-28-2012, 10:05

Psst, it's golf.

They have made a culture over looking idiotic.

:dunno:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Y6TE6-5nT-M/T3vDZkXGXKI/AAAAAAAAAGk/5DZXVobge6c/s320/golf-apparel-for-men.jpg

bocaboca
11-28-2012, 10:12
It is about damn time.

every sport evolves. tennis rackets have changed, baseball mounds have been lowered...swimmers wear sharkskin swim suits, every sport has had equipment and rule changes. the young golfers have been using anchored putters for quite a while...they basically grew up with them. its just a matter of time be4 the traditionalist see the light.

SC Tiger
11-28-2012, 10:12

Since when has that been a bad thing in Golf?

scccdoc
11-28-2012, 10:33

LOL, I guess if you don't play, it does look silly.

How are you guys coping up there in the upper part of the state? Any rumors about Dabo?

scccdoc
11-28-2012, 10:36
Psst, it's golf.

They have made a culture over looking idiotic.

:dunno:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Y6TE6-5nT-M/T3vDZkXGXKI/AAAAAAAAAGk/5DZXVobge6c/s320/golf-apparel-for-men.jpg

20 years ago I went to the Masters and dressed my 1yr old like Payne Stewart. He made the front page of the Atlanta Constitution !

TheExplorer
11-28-2012, 10:49

Exactly. Where else but a golf course could you wear those pants and not get chased by a bunch of rowdy teenagers.

FullClip
11-28-2012, 11:59
Aside from the fashion statements, I'm glad the PGA put the brakes on the long putters. While the game does evolve with new materials in the club heads and shafts, better aerodynamics and material for the balls, there has to be a limit set. I think the belly putters look goofy, but if they were giving anybody a HUGE advantage, everybody would be using them.
I'd like to see a "Classic Clubs" tourney with the big names having to use persimmon woods and old regular irons to put them on an even par with the old names in golf and see how close they come to the scores of days gone by. A lot of the new generation of golfers work out and train for the game in ways that people like Arnold Palmer, Lee Travino and others never dreamed about.
The old saying "drive for show, put for dough" still holds true.

SC Tiger
11-28-2012, 12:10
LOL, I guess if you don't play, it does look silly.

How are you guys coping up there in the upper part of the state? Any rumors about Dabo?

Well, the Earth didn't stop spinning as many predicted, so I guess we're okay. It would be worse if I lived in the lower part of the state (I'm a Clemson grad). No rumors on Dabo. I think his name may have come up for the Tennessee job though but they look to be after Gruden (not sure about that one myself). I don't think he will be fired or anything.

Morris' name has come up for just about every opening out there, but I can't tell how much of that is just Clemson fans worried about him leaving. His buyout is pretty high if he leaves for a coordinator spot and I don't think he is ready for a HC job yet. Ohio State called last year and he didn't go.

Venables is supposedly being courted by FSU but I don't see that happening. I think he will be a good one but the defensive talent just isn't there right now. We have no Boyd, Watkins or Hopkins on defense. From what I hear his defenses are hard-hitting and close to what Clemson fans are used to. There is also a transfer from Oklahoma on campus that had to sit out this year but he is supposedly the real deal.

Where I think the change is needed is Strength and Conditioning, but I don't know that it will happen. I think the current guy (Batson) has incriminating photos of somebody.

czsmithGT
11-28-2012, 13:47
Aside from the fashion statements, I'm glad the PGA put the brakes on the long putters. While the game does evolve with new materials in the club heads and shafts, better aerodynamics and material for the balls, there has to be a limit set. I think the belly putters look goofy, but if they were giving anybody a HUGE advantage, everybody would be using them.
I'd like to see a "Classic Clubs" tourney with the big names having to use persimmon woods and old regular irons to put them on an even par with the old names in golf and see how close they come to the scores of days gone by. A lot of the new generation of golfers work out and train for the game in ways that people like Arnold Palmer, Lee Travino and others never dreamed about.
The old saying "drive for show, put for dough" still holds true.

I agree with limits being set on clubs and balls. Maybe those limits didn't go far enough because a lot of golf courses became kind of obsolete as far as being a test for top level golfers. They just became too short. Better conditioning of the athletes has had quite a bit to do with that but it has been mostly caused by the advances in equipment. Also, those with the highest swing speeds get a disproportionate distance advantage versus those with average swing speeds.

That said, I don't think golf should limit how you are allowed to strike the ball. Many years ago they disallowed the "croquet" style of putting because the powers that be just didn't think it looked right, even though it was a superior way to putt for a lot of golfers. So if someone wants to anchor the putter handle to his chest I say why not allow it?

scccdoc
11-28-2012, 14:20
Well, the Earth didn't stop spinning as many predicted, so I guess we're okay. It would be worse if I lived in the lower part of the state (I'm a Clemson grad). No rumors on Dabo. I think his name may have come up for the Tennessee job though but they look to be after Gruden (not sure about that one myself). I don't think he will be fired or anything.

Morris' name has come up for just about every opening out there, but I can't tell how much of that is just Clemson fans worried about him leaving. His buyout is pretty high if he leaves for a coordinator spot and I don't think he is ready for a HC job yet. Ohio State called last year and he didn't go.

Venables is supposedly being courted by FSU but I don't see that happening. I think he will be a good one but the defensive talent just isn't there right now. We have no Boyd, Watkins or Hopkins on defense. From what I hear his defenses are hard-hitting and close to what Clemson fans are used to. There is also a transfer from Oklahoma on campus that had to sit out this year but he is supposedly the real deal.

Where I think the change is needed is Strength and Conditioning, but I don't know that it will happen. I think the current guy (Batson) has incriminating photos of somebody.

I'm a USC alum with one there now. I'm glad we can be civil with one another, after all, our little state has TWO teams in the top 15 IN THE COUNTRY. Not many can say that. We may not be #1, but I'm proud of both teams (but of course I want USC to win as you want the Tigers). This is a good time for our state................... GO TIGERS in the bowl game! DOC

czsmithGT
11-28-2012, 14:54
(I'm a Clemson grad).

Clemson's Tajh Boyd named AFCA All American at QB.

http://www.afca.com/article/article.php?id=2274

So much for Johnny Football's claim to the Heisman when he can't even make first team All America LOL.

FH Alum
11-28-2012, 20:45
Nothing wrong with placing equipment limits on professional sports. Baseball has done it and this is a good thing. Watching a college game and hearing "tink" vs. "crack" just takes you out of the moment.

A buddy of mine plays with real woods, there is something to be said about the "thwack" vs. "tink".

As someone who does not watch golf, I would watch a retro club match.

Dennis in MA
11-29-2012, 12:20
My putter isn't longer than average, but it's wiiiiide. Yeahbaby, yeah!

SC Tiger
11-29-2012, 13:31
Clemson's Tajh Boyd named AFCA All American at QB.

http://www.afca.com/article/article.php?id=2274

So much for Johnny Football's claim to the Heisman when he can't even make first team All America LOL.

I'm real happy for him. Boyd isn't perfect but he brings a lot of leadership and can be deadly accurate. Some games it almost feels like he can't miss. Good kid off the field too. Of course, having Nuk, Sammy, and Jaron Brown doesn't hurt.

I don't know much about "Johnny Football." Supposedly he's the real deal. I've kind of got a soft spot for A&M for some reason - kind of like Pitt. Not sure why but I kind of like those teams.

SC Tiger
11-29-2012, 13:34
I'm a USC alum with one there now. I'm glad we can be civil with one another, after all, our little state has TWO teams in the top 15 IN THE COUNTRY. Not many can say that. We may not be #1, but I'm proud of both teams (but of course I want USC to win as you want the Tigers). This is a good time for our state................... GO TIGERS in the bowl game! DOC

Me too. I actually grew up a Gamecock fan but when it came time to go to college Clemson just seemed like the right place. I will say that we (I went with my dad) weren't looked upon too favorably in a Gamecock-garnet car (it was a coincidence) with a Gamecock club sticker on the back though!

IMO Clemson has to get better and tougher on the LOS. The OL has the personnel but they are young. Not sure on the DL but I think Grady Jarrett has the potential to be one of those impossible-to-move bowling-ball DTs since he is only like 6 ft tall.

Truthfully I wish both teams were 11-0 going into that game, but I want Clemson to win.

Has anything more come out on Lattimore? Goiod kid that has had some tough luck.

czsmithGT
11-29-2012, 14:18
Nothing wrong with placing equipment limits on professional sports.

When they are speaking about banning the long putters, they are not actually proposing to change the equipment, only the way it is used. Long putters would still be legal.

"The rule would prohibit strokes made with the club or a hand gripping the club held directly against the player's body, or with a forearm held against the body to establish an anchor point that indirectly anchors the club"

Many years ago they effectively banned "croquet style" putters by making it illegal to make a stroke with your legs straddling the line of the shot, as you would do with a croquet mallet.

I don't have a problem with setting equipment rules but I think it is kind of silly to outlaw these particular methods of swinging at the golf ball. Guess the guys who make these rules want to be sure it doesn't become too easy for players who develop nervous twitches.

scccdoc
11-29-2012, 14:30
Me too. I actually grew up a Gamecock fan but when it came time to go to college Clemson just seemed like the right place. I will say that we (I went with my dad) weren't looked upon too favorably in a Gamecock-garnet car (it was a coincidence) with a Gamecock club sticker on the back though!

IMO Clemson has to get better and tougher on the LOS. The OL has the personnel but they are young. Not sure on the DL but I think Grady Jarrett has the potential to be one of those impossible-to-move bowling-ball DTs since he is only like 6 ft tall.

Truthfully I wish both teams were 11-0 going into that game, but I want Clemson to win.

Has anything more come out on Lattimore? Goiod kid that has had some tough luck.

Not that I know of except he'll sit out next year. Hope he comes back in 2014 and has a good year w/out injury so the pros will want him..............DOC

heliguy
11-29-2012, 19:41
It's a PROPOSED rule that will be legally challenged. Belly putters have been around for 30 yrs and there is no data showing it offers any statistically sig advantage.

Just like square grooves vs u groves. E data shows no advantage in either..

Just more sports politics...

JDennis
11-29-2012, 20:17
The Europeans still look funny doing it. :tongueout: Long putters and license plates, is there some innuendo there?

The Oracle
11-29-2012, 20:59
The long putter is being banned solely because it is used as an, unfair advantage creating anchor point.

I should have been more specific but I didn't think anybody would misunderstand that point.

No good golfer is foolish enough to use a long putter holding it in midair away from their body, as such the long putters will no longer be seen in use.

Finally, the 90 days for input from golfers and entities around the world is nothing more than a formality. The chance that someone is going to come up with a good reason why the anchor point is a valid swing within the spirit of the game are slim and none.

This decision has been made.

janice6
11-29-2012, 21:13
Good. I don't feel so inadequate.

czsmithGT
11-29-2012, 21:17
The long putter is being banned solely because it is used as an, unfair advantage creating anchor point.

I need every unfair advantage against the golf course I can get. It isn't unfair to the other golfers, since if it were all the pros playing for big $$ would be using that technique.

ChuteTheMall
11-30-2012, 09:51
Good. I don't feel so inadequate.

http://i46.tinypic.com/fv9388.jpg

Disintegr8or
11-30-2012, 12:25
If there were an advantage to the belly putter, ALL of the Pros would be using one.

Reading the greens undulations and ball speed are harder to master than ball strike IMO.