Daily Beast Writer McArdle's Faulty "Cosmetic" Attack On Assault Weapons Ba [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Daily Beast Writer McArdle's Faulty "Cosmetic" Attack On Assault Weapons Ba

HerrGlock
11-28-2012, 14:46
http://mediamatters.org/blog/2012/11/26/daily-beast-writer-mcardles-faulty-cosmetic-att/191515

Fear Night
11-28-2012, 14:51
My favorite is the fear mongering quote at the end:
All assault weapons--military and civilian alike--incorporate specific features that were designed for laying down a high volume of fire over a wide killing zone. This is sometimes known as "hosing down" an area. Civilian assault weapons feature the specific military design features that make spray-firing easy and distinguish assault weapons from traditional sporting firearms.

TK-421
11-28-2012, 15:01
Basically, it all comes down to "Stupid people are stupid."

janice6
11-28-2012, 15:04
I guess we have a new definition for "Tripe". What idiots.

I suppose if my car has safety features it must be a dangerous vehicle to need them.

Kingtubby
11-28-2012, 16:05
Ummm yeah, your quote is NOT from the mcardle article, its from a media matters response to her article. Knowing that she wouldnt likely write what you quoted, being the economic libertarian that she is, I read her article. It contained quotes like this:

That's not really surprising, because long guns aren't used in the majority of gun crimes, and "assault weapon" is a largely cosmetic rather than functional description; the guns that were taken off the street were not noticeably more lethal than the ones that remained. It was a largely symbolic law that made proponents of gun control feel good about "doing something".

But we should not have largely symbolic laws that require real and large regulatory interventions. There should always be a presumption in favor of economic liberty, as there is with other liberties; to justify curtailing them, we need a benefit more tangible than warm and fuzzy feelings in the hearts of American liberals.

And...

A law (AW ban) that has no obvious benefit, but substantial regulatory cost, just obviously flunks this basic cost-benefit analysis. It's also an intrusion on the liberty of American citizens. You don't have to be a gun nut to get mad about that.

But not your quote. And you, Janice...

I suppose if my car has safety features it must be a dangerous vehicle to need them.

You should bone up on your logic. There is little correlation between the logic youre espousing here to any used by mcardle, or even the logic espoused by antigunners. It makes little sense really.

Roger1079
11-28-2012, 16:25
Can someone please tell me how I can easily "spray-fire" my SEMI AUTOMATIC AR-15? Maybe with significant machining of the lower and a parts kit from an M16 it might be possible, but I don't exactly see that as easy, nor do I see it worth the 10 years in federal prison for possession of an unregistered machine gun. Yet again, another statement by gun grabbers that has little factual basis.

I also got a bit of a chuckle about concealing a Mossberg 500. Even with a pistol grip and no buttstock, with the legal barrel length and overall length for it to not qualify as an SBS, it is far from "easily concealable".

The person that wrote that is an idiot, plain and simple. Just more fodder for the gun grabbers to eat up.

:rofl:

Fear Night
11-28-2012, 20:44
Can someone please tell me how I can easily "spray-fire" my SEMI AUTOMATIC AR-15? Maybe with significant machining of the lower and a parts kit from an M16 it might be possible, but I don't exactly see that as easy, nor do I see it worth the 10 years in federal prison for possession of an unregistered machine gun. Yet again, another statement by gun grabbers that has little factual basis.

I also got a bit of a chuckle about concealing a Mossberg 500. Even with a pistol grip and no buttstock, with the legal barrel length and overall length for it to not qualify as an SBS, it is far from "easily concealable".

The person that wrote that is an idiot, plain and simple. Just more fodder for the gun grabbers to eat up.

:rofl:
It really would not surprise me if half the antis truly think anybody can just walk into a gun store/show and walk out with a fully automatic machinegun in 15 minutes. They are the definition of ignorant.