Reloading Manual Advice/Recipe Advice...Just plain old advice! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Reloading Manual Advice/Recipe Advice...Just plain old advice!

hammeredbean
11-28-2012, 14:59
I want to get into 10mm soon and was wondering which manual to get. I would point out that I intend to do my dead level best to shoot cast lead exclusively.....hopefully anyway. So which manual is your "go to" when thinking along these lines.

I am also still trying to decide between 45 super and 10mm....leaning more toward 10mm auto....convince me that I am right.

The loads I will want are prrrrrobably going to be shot through a G29sf....that I don't have yet,,with an after market extended barrel, or possibly a Smith 1006. I will want to try a 155 gr screamer HP (probably plated or jacketed), and two 180 gr power levels. One at 1000fps (light) and one as close to 1350+ as possible in whichever gun I wind up with. I am not one to go above safe levels, and I am scared to use Blue Dot.

Lay it on me guys. And...if any of you want to swap one of your extra guns that are similar to what I described, I do have a SIG P229 that I intend to post an ad sometime and trade for a 10mm....I know this isn't the place, but FWIW, I have the case, 3 mags, and a blackhawk serpa holster. Night sights on the gun.

Thanks Guys. I always get good advice here from great folks!

AZson
11-28-2012, 17:35
Are you going to cast your own?

hammeredbean
11-28-2012, 17:56
Not in the near future. But eventually I do.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

_The_Shadow
11-28-2012, 18:16
Lyman's manuals have a good balance of cast bullet info and jacketed. I have the 48th edition and the 49th is out there...I have used Speer, Hornady and all of the electronic powder manufactures manuals. I do cast my own bullets, yes it is a self rewarding hobby to keep and maintain supplies.

hammeredbean
11-28-2012, 18:33
I was hoping you would chime in Shadow. I plan on casting after I get totally set up for reloading. Which dies do you use? I have heard that the factory crimp die that Lee includes on their 4 die sets can actually size down the lead.....People have told me that Lyman dies are better for lead.

For now I will probably buy cast bullets from Penm, Rimrock, or Missouri Bullets. I will try plated bullets from Xtreme Bullets.

blastfact
11-28-2012, 19:05
You need to get your hands on every published load reference. Including old books. It's all a balancing act. I have older and newer, Hornady, Lyman, Speer and the current powder producers info for powders I shoot. And get them in hardback.

When I got my Lyman's 49th hardback last xmas I was one happy man. :) Maybe they will get me Hornadys 8th this year.

You can not have to much load reference info.

_The_Shadow
11-28-2012, 19:13
I mostly use the RCBS 10mm carbide dies since 1990, I have the LEE FCD but use it with the guts removed as a "Pass-Thru" die for reconditioning used brass. Yes it will over size the case to the point that it will squeeze the cast and even copper plated and jacketed bullets. I actaully tried it as the FCD to final crimp, only to find it caused bullets to be loose and I could spin them inside the casing. I use the expander plug to just allow the bullets to start inside the case to eliminate bullet material from being shaved as the bullets are seated, this helps to keep them tight without over squeezing them.

I seat in one step and crimp in a seperate step using the RCBS dies only...

hammeredbean
11-28-2012, 19:34
Thanks for the heads up.

Taterhead
11-28-2012, 20:33
Good choice on the 10mm auto hammeredbean! It is an extremely flexible and versatile cartridge that is only fully exploited through handloading.

Manuals:

Lyman has a good casting manual for when you get to that point. Speer #14 has a very good step-by-step reloading guide. It has a separate section for pistol too since they vary a bit from bottleneck rifle loading. Hornady or ABCs of Reloading would be nice additions too.

For the 155 grain "screamer HP" you will not want to mess with plated bullets. They are very soft and thinly plated. They have a speed limit. 155 Gold Dots and XTPs can be pushed though.

A 180 @ 1350 is not attainable with book data unless you get a 6" barrel. The book data that gets me the fastest velocities with a 180 is A9 followed by Blue Dot. Guys are getting into the 1300s with 800-X and Longshot, but at charges WAY beyond manufacturer data. This is not a bridge I would recommend crossing when just starting out. Realistically, low to mid 1200s is where you'll end up unless venturing beyond published data (of course unless you get a long barrel). I don't say this to deflate your goals, but just to put some realistic expectations. Plus, a 180 @ 1250 still packs a worthwhile punch.

For the 180 @ 1000, I really like 8.0 grains of Accurate no. 5 under a 180 grain PowerBond. Accurate powders meter extremely well, and this is a soft-shooting round in my G20.

Good luck with your decision! There are a lot of great resources on this thread. Some with opposing opinions, so you'll get to see multiple points of view.

Lastly, if you get a Glock, don't worry about going aftermarket right away. Work with it bone stock (other than sights) and see what is lacking. You might find, as I did, that I did not end up needing an aftermarket barrel. For the price of an aftermarket barrel, you can buy a lot of components or contribute toward your reloading setup.

hammeredbean
11-29-2012, 17:59
I would love to use a stock barrel, but I am a bit timid about using lead in one.....I have heard that it is both safe...and unsafe. I totally understand the principal behind people's opinions....but which is it? The owner of Buffalo Bore wrote an article about it and said it is a bunch of hooey. Also, how is the glock 10mm chamber support...do people get good life out of their brass? I know these may seem trivial questions, but I am trying to work out the final details in my head before I take the plunge. I carry a 357 mag now, but want to get the advantage of an auto as an option....so 10mm seems to be the natural progression. ( I hunt with my handguns ).

Also, thanks for the heads up on the realistic expectations for the G29. I like to know the "real" numbers. I think I'll be fine with 180 at 1250 ish. I am blowing holes clean through white tail deer with my 3" SP101 revolver with plain old Federal 158 JSP's. They can't be going much over 1150 or 1200 out of my gun.

Taterhead
11-29-2012, 18:39
I would love to use a stock barrel, but I am a bit timid about using lead in one.....I have heard that it is both safe...and unsafe. I totally understand the principal behind people's opinions....but which is it? The owner of Buffalo Bore wrote an article about it and said it is a bunch of hooey. Also, how is the glock 10mm chamber support...do people get good life out of their brass? I know these may seem trivial questions, but I am trying to work out the final details in my head before I take the plunge. I carry a 357 mag now, but want to get the advantage of an auto as an option....so 10mm seems to be the natural progression. ( I hunt with my handguns ).

Also, thanks for the heads up on the realistic expectations for the G29. I like to know the "real" numbers. I think I'll be fine with 180 at 1250 ish. I am blowing holes clean through white tail deer with my 3" SP101 revolver with plain old Federal 158 JSP's. They can't be going much over 1150 or 1200 out of my gun.

In my stock barrel G20, I am getting about 9 loads on average with Starline brass. A typical brass lifecycle will include one max load with new brass. It then gets tossed in with the assortment of mixed range brass. I almost exclusively shoot Starline, with the occasional old factory case mixed in here and there. A typical range load will be a 180 @ 1150 fps. For me, that is plenty of life.

As far as the lead question, I am not a caster myself. Many, many seasoned loaders cast bullets of the proper size, velocities, and hardness to work great in Glocks.

I do shoot some hardcast bullets in my G20. They are cast by Double Tap. This is my wilderness bullet (a WFNGC 200 grain).

blastfact
11-29-2012, 19:22
OP some folks here have good luck with the OEM barrel, They go nuke and don't look back. While finding the limit.

I have never shot my OEM barrel. My LW does a great job abd brass comes out clean. Comes out perfect! Even when the books have been put up and I'm going all out.

If you have only one Glock the G20 of any Gen is the weapon.

Be safe!