Dang, my Chase bank account was hacked... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dang, my Chase bank account was hacked...

Detectorist
11-28-2012, 17:03
I just got this email:

"Dear Chase OnlineSM Customer:

You've exceeded the maximum number of logon attempts allowed. As a result, we've disabled your User ID and Password to protect your confidential financial information.

To unlock your account, please click: Log On to Chase Online and proceed with the verification process.

Sincerely,
Online Banking Team 2012 JPMorgan Chase & Co."

The problem is...I don't have an account with them. It's called 'social engineering' and it's very effective. Amazing that folks still fall for it.

smokin762
11-28-2012, 17:05
I delete stuff like that all the time. I never open it.

Sammael
11-28-2012, 17:27
Actually, that's phishing, not SE, but yes - it's amazing the number of people that still fall for it.

Detectorist
11-28-2012, 17:30
Actually, that's phishing, not SE, but yes - it's amazing the number of people that still fall for it.

Yes, phishing can be a subset of SE. Very effective. I define social engineering as any method used to trick someone in giving up their security info.

It keeps fooling folks.

AZson
11-28-2012, 17:47
Chase just sent me a new visa debit card out of the blue also. Said my account was compromised though nothing was missing.

Detectorist
11-28-2012, 19:06
Chase just sent me a new visa debit card out of the blue also. Said my account was compromised though nothing was missing.

They probably had a security breach of some sort.

edcrosbys
11-29-2012, 15:00
I like using the forms to give them trash data. I imagine them getting just a bit frustrated at the info not working! :supergrin:

Gun Shark
11-29-2012, 15:14
I like using the forms to give them trash data. I imagine them getting just a bit frustrated at the info not working! :supergrin:

:rofl:

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

samurairabbi
11-29-2012, 15:26
As noted, that was a fishing attempt, not a true hack; the sender does not know if you actually DO have a Chase account. I get such email all the time for banks at which I have never had accounts.

ArtificialGrape
11-29-2012, 17:39
My Chase account is hacked 2-3 times a month, but I'll be alright once I get my money from Nigeria.

-ArtificialGrape