Why Is It... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Why Is It...

Eric
11-28-2012, 17:49
That every restaurant in the country that offers ketchup as a condiment leave it out on the table, when everyone I know puts their ketchup in the fridge? The bottle says to 'refrigerate after opening' and we always obey the bottles, but it obviously isn't necessary to keep ketchup refrigerated. Hell, mustard, mayo and most salad dressings as well. I think they are trying to control the temperature of our condiments. They are always up to something, aren't they? Eric

Osborne
11-28-2012, 17:51
I was thinking about this a few days ago, I guess it will just last longer when refrigerated. The bottles probably don't last long at restaurants. :dunno:

I probably shouldn't even bother refrigerating mine I go through a bottle every 1-2 weeks myself. Red Gold is the best!

Gareth68
11-28-2012, 17:54
I think restaurants move enough volume to leave it out.

While I haven't had "bad" ketchup, I have noticed with it and hot sauce that if you leave it out for too long it doesn't taste as good as when fresh.

RonS
11-28-2012, 17:55
I knew it, it is the electric utilities, they make more if you have to open and close the fridge to get it out and put it away every meal.

Angry Fist
11-28-2012, 17:59
Them "they" bastards must be stopped! :fist:

LASTRESORT20
11-28-2012, 18:03
*Some Fish & Chips restaurants leave the tarter sauce bottles on the table...So...I guess with the same mind-set they use `em up before they go bad`...They must have official "trained" testers in the back to protect the public......... They are up to something....

EdTracker
11-28-2012, 18:08
The smaller the package the greater the concentrations of preservatives.

m2hmghb
11-28-2012, 18:16
Most likely the ketchup is acidic enough and the bottles are changed often enough that it doesn't make much of a difference. A couple days is different then a couple weeks or months which is most likely what the manufacturers anticpate.

czsmithGT
11-28-2012, 18:18
Ketchup is averse to bacterial growth due to its acidity but not impervious to spoilage. Shelf life following opening (for maintaining taste) is one month unrefrigerated and 1 year refrigerated.

Chuck TX
11-28-2012, 18:18
Cold Ketchup last longer because it's gross and nobody eats it. I stopped putting it in the fridge.

Does that make me one of them....er, they?:supergrin:

happyguy
11-28-2012, 18:22
That every restaurant in the country that offers ketchup as a condiment leave it out on the table, when everyone I know puts their ketchup in the fridge? The bottle says to 'refrigerate after opening' and we always obey the bottles, but it obviously isn't necessary to keep ketchup refrigerated. Hell, mustard, mayo and most salad dressings as well. I think they are trying to control the temperature of our condiments. They are always up to something, aren't they? Eric

I would not eat mayo that was left unrefrigerated for long. Trust me on this one.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy :)

Huaco Kid
11-28-2012, 18:26
The bottles say to refrigerate after opening because there are RFIDs hidden under the label and they scan the other RFIDs, hidden in the labels on other products in your fridge, and relay that information to the Google-Earth type vehicles that roam your neighborhood.

They sell that information to high dollar advertising and marketing firms that use it to leverage their product placement on store shelves that are close to the ketchup bottles.

It's a billion dollar business.

That's how Teresa Heinz Kerry was able amass enough money to finance her husband's presidential run.

Lone_Wolfe
11-28-2012, 18:27
Cold Ketchup last longer because it's gross and nobody eats it. I stopped putting it in the fridge.

Does that make me one of them....er, they?:supergrin:

Yes, you are. :supergrin:

mhambi
11-28-2012, 18:29
I left some eggs out on the counter overnight. Are they still ok to throw at my neighbors noisy dog?

Angry Fist
11-28-2012, 18:30
I left some eggs out on the counter overnight. Are they still ok to throw at my neighbors noisy dog?
No. Put them on the roof for a few weeks.

Cavalry Doc
11-28-2012, 18:33

Eric, Love your site, and please don't hit me with a ban hammer.....

But you have a bit more time on your hands than you can use, don't you?

Sincerely, I hope you can enjoy a leisurely lifestyle in retirement with the proceeds from this site. I'm a fan. If you ever find yourself in Central Texas, let me know where you are, I owe you a beer or three.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/CavalryDoc/CavDoc-3-2.gif

Lone_Wolfe
11-28-2012, 18:33
No. Put them on the roof for a few weeks.

Preferably the neighbor's roof, in case they get broken. :cool:

Hines57
11-28-2012, 18:35
Couple of days is no problem. The problem comes when they marry all the bottles at the end of the night. Do that a few times and it gets pretty gross.

BamaBud
11-28-2012, 18:39
That's how Teresa Heinz Kerry was able amass enough money to finance her husband's presidential run.

Actually, she amassed the money by being to hired as the maid/housekeeper to Old Man Heinz. Married him and when he kicked the bucket, she got it all.

Then Kerry married her to get the money for his campaigns.

Chuck TX
11-28-2012, 18:46
Yes, you are. :supergrin:

Ah crap, does that mean I have to take the mustard and mayo out of the fridge too?:rofl:

true believer
11-28-2012, 18:46
Eric, Love your site, and please don't hit me with a ban hammer.....

But you have a bit more time on your hands than you can use, don't you?

Sincerely, I hope you can enjoy a leisurely lifestyle in retirement with the proceeds from this site. I'm a fan. If you ever find yourself in Central Texas, let me know where you are, I owe you a beer or three.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/CavalryDoc/CavDoc-3-2.gif

i was thinking the same thing:rofl:
eric, come to pa and help me do clean ups for fall..
:wavey::supergrin:

itisbruno
11-28-2012, 19:05
Most likely the ketchup is acidic enough and the bottles are changed often enough that it doesn't make much of a difference. A couple days is different then a couple weeks or months which is most likely what the manufacturers anticpate.

This is what i was gonna say.

The acidity of the product gives it protection from bacterial growth.

I've had a can of dehydrated water sitting on the shelf for 16 years.

:whistling:

:supergrin:

kirgi08
11-28-2012, 19:14
:popcorn:

Mrs. VR
11-28-2012, 19:18
Some people don't even refrigerate their butter! They use crock things and let it sit out!

certifiedfunds
11-28-2012, 19:18
We don't refrigerate our ketchup at home.

Growing up I had a friend who's family left opened jars of mayo in the pantry unrefrigerated.

TransAm-98
11-28-2012, 19:23

Agreed. I like me some room temperature condiments.

scwine
11-28-2012, 19:26
Ketchup left out is a pet peeve of mine. I want fresh cold ketchup on a fresh hot french fry. Milk, butter, and ketchup should always be cold.

2bgop
11-28-2012, 19:29
I age my ketchup and chili sauces. I never put the in the refrigerator and hate cold ketchup.

Ketchup is far better when left to age about a year, I do this unopened of course. Sambal I try to let age at least 18 months, 2 years is better.

Glock20 10mm
11-28-2012, 19:29
Dems part o' that thar new world order! Dey tryin ta kilt ya!

2bgop
11-28-2012, 19:30
Ketchup left out is a pet peeve of mine. I want fresh cold ketchup on a fresh hot french fry. Milk, butter, and ketchup should always be cold.

I don't like cold butter, unless I am making a pie crust or some other pastry.

Lone_Wolfe
11-28-2012, 19:32
Ah crap, does that mean I have to take the mustard and mayo out of the fridge too?:rofl:

Yep. And if you don't do it right now, the black helicopters will be there at midnight. :tongueout: :supergrin:

Eric
11-28-2012, 19:36
What REALLY irritates me is people who put bread in the refrigerator. Refrigerate bread and it will never be right again.

BTW, I once found a bottle of ketchup in my sister's fridge that was FIVE YEARS past its expiration date. She still used it and it didn't appear to be killing her too badly. Eric

samuse
11-28-2012, 19:55
Some people don't even refrigerate their butter! They use crock things and let it sit out!

That's how it's been done since the beginning of time.

Hines57
11-28-2012, 20:04
What REALLY irritates me is people who put bread in the refrigerator. Refrigerate bread and it will never be right again....

If I don't it, brings in the mice.

Osborne
11-28-2012, 20:10
That's how it's been done since the beginning of time.

And the way people should do it, I find it hard to spread butter on things when its rock hard.

Eric
11-28-2012, 20:13
If I don't it, brings in the mice.

That's what a breadbox (and rat-shot) is for.:supergrin: Eric

kirgi08
11-28-2012, 20:27

We don't,it makes it easier ta use.'08.

certifiedfunds
11-28-2012, 20:35
I age my ketchup and chili sauces.

Aged ketchup is the very definition of refinement.

"This is a 2003 Delmonte. 2003 was a very good year"

Lone_Wolfe
11-28-2012, 20:50

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Cavalry Doc
11-28-2012, 20:52

OK, that one got an honest out loud chuckle.

:rofl:

mnglocker
11-28-2012, 20:54
If most restaurants are using glass bottles it may have to do with getting the ketchup out of the bottle. Warm ketchup is less viscous and hence easier to pour.

fnfalman
11-28-2012, 21:40
I eat mayonnaise. Problem solved.

2bgop
11-28-2012, 23:03

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I don't think I am going to push it that far.

sappy13
11-29-2012, 10:41
i had never thought of that before, but it seems to me like they refill them often enough that it wouldnt matter.

Eric
11-29-2012, 11:01
i had never thought of that before, but it seems to me like they refill them often enough that it wouldnt matter.

They do refill them often, but the bottles are never completely empty and they don't wash them between fillings. They just dump more in, into what is left in the bottle. Eric

All Pro Sports Hero
11-29-2012, 11:03
Couple of days is no problem. The problem comes when they marry all the bottles at the end of the night. Do that a few times and it gets pretty gross.

Extraordinarily gross.

Another ketchup peeve of mine, is why are the bottles parked on every restaurant table top to begin with??? The bottles make even a nice restaurant look like a truck stop. And as someone who has worked in many eateries, it has been my experience that so few people even use the table ketchup, that it makes no sense to sacrifice the asthetic appeal of the room decor. Want ketchup? Ask the waiter to fetch it from the pantry.

devildog2067
11-29-2012, 11:06
The bottles make even a nice restaurant look like a truck stop.

I can't remember the last time I went to a restaurant that had ketchup on the table that wasn't a chain fast food place. I must not be eating at the same places as you guys.

mhambi
11-29-2012, 11:07

Totally. Check out the review from fineketchups.com

A smooth, velvety texture reminiscent of the pinnacle ketchups of the 1700's. Unique and enticingly diverse, it veritably bursts upon your senses with a creamy palate and strong nose. The 2003 Del Monte abounds with suggestions of coriander, loam earth, oak overtones and a silky beefeater tomato finish with hints of elderberries and paint thinner. Lush, elegant, and nuanced. Pair with pork chops, meatloaf or spam.

syntaxerrorsix
11-29-2012, 11:27

I don't. I can't seem to spread it when it's cold. I also keep a bacon grease jar on my stove.

JLB768
11-29-2012, 11:28
I want to know why Walmart doesn't sell Del Monte, the best ketchup ever.

FullClip
11-29-2012, 11:29
I don't put ketchup or mustard in the reefer...no need to do so. Butter in a butter dish and only goes in the fridge in !he summer when it's so warm in the house that it will melt. I've been told mayo, by itself, will last a long time, but I'm not a big mayo fan, so I buy small jars and use it up quick when making tuna sandwiches or cassarole...then toss what's left.

My sister even puts peanut butter in the fridge.....try spreading that across a slice of bread! She says it lasts longer.....and it does for sure....'cause ya' can't use it!:supergrin:

ChuteTheMall
11-29-2012, 11:30
I can't speak for every little independent mom & pop hole in the wall restaurant, but at America's finer chain restaurants (which are state of the art) like Chili's or Olive Garden or Chuck E Cheese, the ketchup is made on site early every morning from fresh picked tomatoes, well-cured vinegar, and carefully selected spices.
It's then lovingly placed in specially manufactured containers which are too large to shoplift, but small enough to give your meal that personal touch.
I'll never go back to the store bought crap they try to pass off as ketchup now that I've had the real thing.

Don't let them try to substitute catsup, that stuff is disgusting.:puking:

ChuteTheMall
11-29-2012, 11:43
I want to know why Walmart doesn't sell Del Monte, the best ketchup ever.

Labor disputes, plus San Francisco-based Del Monte is anti-gun and donates to Nancy Pelosi and sponsors the largest gay pride parade.

j/k

wvtarheel
11-29-2012, 11:52
Labor disputes, plus San Francisco-based Del Monte is anti-gun and donates to Nancy Pelosi and sponsors the largest gay pride parade.

j/k

I ain't eatin no durn librul ketchup!

Seriously though, everyone click on glocktalk's links today, Eric needs a new bottle of the red stuff

JLB768
11-29-2012, 12:16
I ain't eatin no durn librul ketchup!

Seriously though, everyone click on glocktalk's links today, Eric needs a new bottle of the red stuff

Well, Hunts tastes like crap, and Heinz fills Kerry's pockets, so Del Monte it is.

SC Tiger
11-29-2012, 13:16
I can't speak for every little independent mom & pop hole in the wall restaurant, but at America's finer chain restaurants (which are state of the art) like Chili's or Olive Garden or Chuck E Cheese, the ketchup is made on site early every morning from fresh picked tomatoes, well-cured vinegar, and carefully selected spices.
It's then lovingly placed in specially manufactured containers which are too large to shoplift, but small enough to give your meal that personal touch.
I'll never go back to the store bought crap they try to pass off as ketchup now that I've had the real thing.

Wait - you went to a CHAIN RESTAURANT?????

WTF is wrong with you????

Don't let them try to substitute catsup, that stuff is disgusting.:puking:

Depends on the cat.

gwalchmai
11-29-2012, 14:03
That every restaurant in the country that offers ketchup as a condiment leave it out on the table, when everyone I know puts their ketchup in the fridge? That's just for the fancy kind.

ChuteTheMall
11-29-2012, 15:13
That's just for the fancy kind.

Yeah, the more popular dining establishments distribute personal size packets right at the counter.

groundhawg
11-29-2012, 15:48
I never refridgerate my ketchup and am enought alive to type this message. It tastes creepy when eaten cold....

Hummerbike
11-29-2012, 15:56
24 Years of cleaning restaurants and I've seen things you can't unsee. Did you know that restaurants will often keep topping off the bottles to keep them full? That's why you seldom see an empty bottle on the table. It makes you wonder how old the ketchup is at the bottom of the bottle.

certifiedfunds
11-29-2012, 16:17
24 Years of cleaning restaurants and I've seen things you can't unsee. Did you know that restaurants will often keep topping off the bottles to keep them full? That's why you seldom see an empty bottle on the table. It makes you wonder how old the ketchup is at the bottom of the bottle.

They're aging it

czsmithGT
11-29-2012, 16:20
Ketchup may be the more glamorous condiment, but
Mayonnaise is truly the most misunderstood dressing.

Hazardous bacteria cry and shudder and eventually die off if placed in commercially prepared mayo that has been fortified with the proper acidulants and salt.

http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/fsrl/pubs/Handouts/mayo.pdf

Eric
11-29-2012, 16:26
Ketchup may be the more glamorous condiment, but
Mayonnaise is truly the most misunderstood dressing.

Hazardous bacteria cry and shudder and eventually die off if placed in commercially prepared mayo that has been fortified with the proper acidulants and salt.

http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/fsrl/pubs/Handouts/mayo.pdf

The problem with leaving mayo out is that people tend to deposit food into the mayo, with utensil they are using.

I was at a friend's house working on a car once. We went into the kitchen to make sandwiches for lunch. His mayo was on the counter and he had apparently made Tuna sandwiches, at some point. A good bit of the tuna had made it back into the mayo and the smell when I opened that mayo would have made a maggot puke. Eric

certifiedfunds
11-29-2012, 16:29
You haven't had mayo until you've made your own

czsmithGT
11-29-2012, 16:34
The problem with leaving mayo out is that people tend to deposit food into the mayo, with utensil they are using.

I was at a friend's house working on a car once. We went into the kitchen to make sandwiches for lunch. His mayo was on the counter and he had apparently made Tuna sandwiches, at some point. A good bit of the tuna had made it back into the mayo and the smell when I opened that mayo would have made a maggot puke. Eric

Poor Mayo gets a bad rap all because of that darned fish mucking things up. Open carry of a Mayo squeeze bottle would have prevented this.

czsmithGT
11-29-2012, 16:36
You haven't had mayo until you've made your own

I couldn't make my own bowl of cornflakes and milk if you spotted me a box of cornflakes and a jug of milk. Making mayo is way above my pay grade.

certifiedfunds
11-29-2012, 16:38
I couldn't make my own bowl of cornflakes and milk if you spotted me a box of cornflakes and a jug of milk. Making mayo is way above my pay grade.

It really is easy. Interwebs.

mhambi
11-29-2012, 16:54
It really is easy. Interwebs.

Where can I buy quality acidulants?

czsmithGT
11-29-2012, 16:57

Make your own.

It is easy- just get some wine and a "mother" ( Mycoderma aceti)

certifiedfunds
11-29-2012, 16:58

Http://www.acidulantsandmore.com

Http://www.AAAacidulants.com

Http://www.needmoreacidulants.com

Http://www.givemeacidulantsnowdammit.com

badge315
11-29-2012, 16:59
Speaking of condiments, why is it that nearly every condiment imaginable comes in a squeeze bottle...but sour cream does not? This infuriates me! :rant:

Gills63
11-29-2012, 17:05
Rest easy badge. I have seen sour cream in a squeeze bottle. A common brand here in NW Ohio makes it. Yoders...those Amish are always on the cutting edge.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

czsmithGT
11-29-2012, 17:14
Rest easy badge. I have seen sour cream in a squeeze bottle. A common brand here in NW Ohio makes it. Yoders...those Amish are always on the cutting edge.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Mrs.Yoder's homemade pies- yumm!!

larry_minn
11-29-2012, 17:23
I would not eat mayo that was left unrefrigerated for long. Trust me on this one.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy :)

Mayo is ok as long as its not contaminated. IF you go on trip and use squeeze bottle (so nothing gets in from dirty knife) it will last for weeks+

samuse
11-29-2012, 17:59
Del Monte and Wataburger ketchup used to be great stuff, now it sucks.

Was it high fructose corn syrup or what?

I don't even like ketchup anymore..

smokeross
11-29-2012, 18:06
Thanks for all the compliments on my condiments. Now get your hands off my Wasabi.

snowcrash75
11-29-2012, 18:36
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/images/300x/5837890.jpg

Booker
11-29-2012, 19:42
At least it's still free in the USA. When I went home to England earlier in the year, the bleeding sods were charging 5 pence a packet at the Kabob shops!

Angry Fist
11-29-2012, 19:43
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/images/300x/5837890.jpg
:rofl:

norm357
11-29-2012, 19:47
http://frugalchristianliving.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/red-gold-ketchup.jpg

http://www.fourseasproducts.com/photos/undefined/COLMAN'S%20Original%20English%20Mustard%20-%2012%20x%20100g-1.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0d/8oz_Duke's_Mayo.jpg/220px-8oz_Duke's_Mayo.jpg

Everything else pales in comparison.

Booker
11-29-2012, 19:57
http://frugalchristianliving.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/red-gold-ketchup.jpg

http://www.fourseasproducts.com/photos/undefined/COLMAN'S%20Original%20English%20Mustard%20-%2012%20x%20100g-1.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0d/8oz_Duke's_Mayo.jpg/220px-8oz_Duke's_Mayo.jpg

Everything else pales in comparison.

Coleman's is real mustard! I never understood American Mustard, no wonder why you guys call it Frenchs.:rofl:

Eric
11-30-2012, 23:13
Coleman's is real mustard! I never understood American Mustard, no wonder why you guys call it Frenchs.:rofl:

You know, any condiment that can be used to induce vomiting in a poisoning is not something I want on my food. I REALLY hate the taste of mustard. I can tolerate it (barely) in Deviled Eggs and Potato Salad. That's about it. Eric

certifiedfunds
12-01-2012, 06:51
You know, any condiment that can be used to induce vomiting in a poisoning is not something I want on my food. I REALLY hate the taste of mustard. I can tolerate it (barely) in Deviled Eggs and Potato Salad. That's about it. Eric

Does that really work? I always thought it was a wives tale.

Eric
12-01-2012, 07:54
Does that really work? I always thought it was a wives tale.

Poison Control seems to think so. Eric

certifiedfunds
12-01-2012, 08:07
Poison Control seems to think so. Eric

A vet once had me induce vomiting in my dog with a teaspoon of peroxide. I had to do it several times afterward over the years. It really works well. Never tried it on a human though.