Tricycle [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tricycle

SunsetMan
11-28-2012, 23:25
A few weeks ago I got a TerraTrike Rambler (elite) to help me get some exercise:

http://www.terratrike.com/rambler.php

I have a bicycle, but wanted to try something different. It is great not having to balance, you can stop and rest anywhere. The seat is very comfortable, like a lawn chair. My hands don't go numb like they do on a bike.

I found the trike can easily tip over though if cornered too enthusiastically. You need to lean into the turns, no matter how slow you are going. I found out today's disc brakes work REALLY well too :supergrin: The Rambler sits high. There are other makes and models that sit lower that are more stable, but I wanted this one so it would be easier to get in and out of.

My 75 year old Mom has a hard time walking any more. She can ride this trike with ease and it is great to go on walks/rides with her again.

Does anyone else have a trike? jtull7 showed his on the bicycle thread.

Timotheous46
11-29-2012, 04:15
yep,

http://www.terratrike.com/

I've had it over 12 years. 36 speed gives me something to do (shifting gears) while biking. I enjoy telling people that I have a tricycle and having them assume I've got grannys bike from a retirement home.

SunsetMan
11-29-2012, 05:07
yep,

http://www.terratrike.com/

I've had it over 12 years. 36 speed gives me something to do (shifting gears) while biking. I enjoy telling people that I have a tricycle and having them assume I've got grannys bike from a retirement home.

Cool. Which model TerraTrike did you get? What accessories do you have?

I imagine people would think of the Schwinn Meridian when thinking trike. I seem to remember my grandfather's trike being very unstable. I'm not sure if it was the Schwinn, but it looked similar.

jtull7, please tell us about your trike again and your experiences.

Timotheous46
11-29-2012, 08:05
When I got it they only had one model. I got the speed hub that you shifted with your heels. It really works slick. It effectively gave me 4 gears up front with 9 in back. The hub is especially nice when you want to downshift while not moving.

I have used it to ride ten miles into town, have coffee, and then ride ten miles back home. I need to get back into that routine.

nam02G
11-29-2012, 09:13
I went recumbent 5 or 6 years ago. I commuted on a Haluzak Horizon for 2 years until I got married and moved too far away from work to ride. For riding together I got my wife a Terratrike, I think it's the Tour model. She was never really into bike riding but she loves that recumbent. I picked up an Actionbent T1 about 3 years ago. It's ok but I wish I'd saved the money and put it toward something nicer. Several weekends this past summer would find us riding in various parks around the area. Her pulling a Schwinn trailer with the baby in it. Me pulling the oldest daughter in a Weehoo iGo, which is basically a recumbent tagalong type trailer.

http://www.weehoobicycletrailer.com/ for anyone that is interested.

We get a lot of looks from people when we are out.

SunsetMan
11-29-2012, 09:41
When I got it they only had one model. I got the speed hub that you shifted with your heels. It really works slick. It effectively gave me 4 gears up front with 9 in back. The hub is especially nice when you want to downshift while not moving.

I have used it to ride ten miles into town, have coffee, and then ride ten miles back home. I need to get back into that routine.

I was wondering how you got to 36 speeds.

My guess is yours is like the TerraTrike Tour model. Do your handlebars stand up straight? Got any pix?

SunsetMan
11-29-2012, 09:49
I went recumbent 5 or 6 years ago. I commuted on a Haluzak Horizon for 2 years until I got married and moved too far away from work to ride. For riding together I got my wife a Terratrike, I think it's the Tour model. She was never really into bike riding but she loves that recumbent. I picked up an Actionbent T1 about 3 years ago. It's ok but I wish I'd saved the money and put it toward something nicer. Several weekends this past summer would find us riding in various parks around the area. Her pulling a Schwinn trailer with the baby in it. Me pulling the oldest daughter in a Weehoo iGo, which is basically a recumbent tagalong type trailer.

http://www.weehoobicycletrailer.com/ for anyone that is interested.

We get a lot of looks from people when we are out.

I need to try a recumbent bicycle someday. Getting rolling seems like it would take some practice.

Timotheous46
11-29-2012, 11:01
I need to try a recumbent bicycle someday. Getting rolling seems like it would take some practice.

With a trike there is no problem starting. Starting a two wheel recumbent
can be a bit of a challenge and going really slow up a steep hill can result in road rash.
Also, when you get tired on a trike, you can just lock the brakes and take a nap.

jtull7
11-30-2012, 11:21
Here is mine:

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t107/jtull8/218-biking.jpg

As you can see, if you don't already know, I am a double below-the-knee amputee. So, this bike really works well for me.

I had to put clip pedals on the bike and on my shoes, because my feet kept falling off. Once that was done, good to go.

BTW, I ALWAYS carry my Wilson Combat .45 in a shoulder rig when I go out riding, both for the four-legged and two-legged predators out there. I ride only on dirt roads outside the city.

SunsetMan
11-30-2012, 13:06
Here is mine:

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t107/jtull8/218-biking.jpg

As you can see, if you don't already know, I am a double below-the-knee amputee. So, this bike really works well for me.

I had to put clip pedals on the bike and on my shoes, because my feet kept falling off. Once that was done, good to go.

BTW, I ALWAYS carry my Wilson Combat .45 in a shoulder rig when I go out riding, both for the four-legged and two-legged predators out there. I ride only on dirt roads outside the city.

Hey jtull7.

I need to get some combo clipless/flatsided pedals. I didn't know until after I got the trike that "leg suck" was an issue. With these trikes you can have a leg sucked under the trike if it falls off a pedal. Nasty. I made some heel straps out of some tarp straps to help keep my foot on the pedal.

The bad thing about trikes is the cost. Mine was about $2100 (assembled) out the door. I test road a few models and upgrades. I think the 100 pound psi tires on my trike made the most difference. You could get the $1300 Rover and change the wheel/tires later.

I got the 27 speed upgrade because I live in a hilly area. I think the 8 speed hub would do fine for flat areas.

I like the trike for the comfort and ability to occommodate disibilities. Mom has balance, arthritis and back issues and can ride with ease.

nam02G
11-30-2012, 13:49

Getting going does take some practice. Fortunately I only fell a few times. The big advantage of a two wheeler over a tadpole trike is the seat height when riding on the road. The two wheelers put you at roughly the same elevation as the drivers of most cars. Which I think enhances your visibility. I rode my trike to work once when I was bike commuting. Scared the crap out of me since I was so low. I didn't feel like the car drivers could see me even though I had safety flags and lights.