Auto repair question; Power Windows [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Auto repair question; Power Windows

Berto
11-29-2012, 12:46
I hate power windows.

Anyways, I have the power window motor and regulator assy out of the driver's door of my '94 Pathfinder. The actual cable is destroyed, frayed apart and jamming the movement of the sash and everything. The motor itself and everything else looks and functions fine, just the cable needs to be replaced....but can I do that, or is it necessary to buy a whole new regulator/motor assy?

whitetiger7653
11-29-2012, 12:53
When it happened on an old car of mine you had to buy the entire assembly. I ended up finding an entire replacement door in a junkyard for less than that assembly.

di11igaf
11-29-2012, 13:01
Willing to bet you have to buy entire assembly, unless you do as the poster above did. Call supplier/dealer and ask them to price just the OEM part, they'll be able to tell you.

Berto
11-29-2012, 13:03
When it happened on an old car of mine you had to buy the entire assembly. I ended up finding an entire replacement door in a junkyard for less than that assembly.

Yeah, that seems to be the direction I'm going.
I can get the regulator w/o the motor for fifty bucks from the local auto parts...which is better than $165 for everything. I have a local Nissan salvage not far, so I'm calling them...but really it'd be nice if I could just replace the friggin cable without paying $50.:supergrin:

A cable like this cost $2.50 at the bike shop, but I'm sure there's a catch or fitting it's supposed to have.

Berto
11-29-2012, 13:05
Willing to bet you have to buy entire assembly, unless you do as the poster above did. Call supplier/dealer and ask them to price just the OEM part, they'll be able to tell you.

Not too excited about calling dealer, it would be like ordering ammo from the Pentagon.

aircarver
11-29-2012, 13:21
Probably not, but ya never know...

I'd put the question to Rockauto.com

fgutie35
11-29-2012, 13:36
I did that to a dodge dakota once, well four times( one for each door). It is very frustrated without the proper tools, but it is possible. The cable has to be soo tight as to get a musical note out of it. And that is the hardest thing on the whole process. If you want to save your fingerrs a great deal of pain, cough out the 50 bucks and go on with your life.

Berto
11-29-2012, 13:51
I did that to a dodge dakota once, well four times( one for each door). It is very frustrated without the proper tools, but it is possible. The cable has to be soo tight as to get a musical note out of it. And that is the hardest thing on the whole process. If you want to save your fingerrs a great deal of pain, cough out the 50 bucks and go on with your life.

True. Time is money.
I work on bicycles often so the 'just replace the cable for cheap' seemed attractive, bur nobody sells just the cable...and I'm guessing there's a reason for that.
However, I do have a guitar tuner. What note should I shoot for?:whistling:

xtreme99
11-29-2012, 14:08
I've replaced all four regulators on my Nissan Maxima without replacing motors. Any local parts store should just carry a regulator only.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 2

Z71bill
11-29-2012, 14:11
I replaced the power window motor 3 times in my Nissan pickup (same as the Pathfinder)

I didn't have a choice - had to buy the whole assembly thing --

BTW - the first time I replaced it (back in 1990) - I called Nissan and ask HOW MUCH?

I can't recall the numbers - but it was something like --

$300 if they did it - I could buy the motor assembly for $150. So I figured I would do myself.

It was going really well - until the window that I had in the full up position - held up by a stick of wood - came crashing down into the door frame and shattered into 1,124,936 pieces. :embarassed:

Window cost me $150 and I had to wait a few days to get it.

So a couple hour job to save $150 ended up being a 5 days with no drivers side window and $300 anyway.

When I went back to Nissan to get the window - the counter guy recognized I was just in there a couple hours before - and he said - let me guess - now you need a window! :rofl:

I bet I was not the first guy to break the glass replacing the power window motor -

Berto
11-29-2012, 14:14
I've replaced all four regulators on my Nissan Maxima without replacing motors. Any local parts store should just carry a regulator only.

That looks like a Radom in your avatar, if so, very cool.:wavey:

The local O' Reilly's has just the regulator for $50, parts yard quoted me $45 for a used one, so......

Berto
11-29-2012, 14:16
I replaced the power window motor 3 times in my Nissan pickup (same as the Pathfinder)

I didn't have a choice - had to buy the whole assembly thing --

BTW - the first time I replaced it (back in 1990) - I called Nissan and ask HOW MUCH?

I can't recall the numbers - but it was something like --

$300 if they did it - I could buy the motor assembly for $150. So I figured I would do myself.

It was going really well - until the window that I had in the full up position - held up by a stick of wood - came crashing down into the door frame and shattered into 1,124,936 pieces. :embarassed:

Window cost me $150 and I had to wait a few days to get it.

So a couple hour job to save $150 ended up being a 5 days with no drivers side window and $300 anyway.

When I went back to Nissan to get the window - the counter guy recognized I was just in there a couple hours before - and he said - let me guess - now you need a window! :rofl:

I bet I was not the first guy to break the glass replacing the power window motor -

It's taped in the up position right now....gonna go check on that puppy....BRB.

Thanks for the heads-up though, that'd suck.

rick458
11-29-2012, 14:27
Rock auto
I had to do rear pass in my MDX
$100

meathead19
11-29-2012, 17:30
My 2003 Jeep GC front windows went out within a couple days of each other......SOB.

Heard that was an issue with these models. But, I don't have the tools or time to fix......took to my mechanic.

$600 bones for both. Just sickening, but I had to have working front windows and riding around with tape on the windows is not condusive where I park. Screams there's a problem and easy access.

xtreme99
11-29-2012, 20:14
That looks like a Radom in your avatar, if so, very cool.:wavey:

The local O' Reilly's has just the regulator for $50, parts yard quoted me $45 for a used one, so......

Rock Island tactical 2 tone and a Caspian built by my grandpa :)

JDennis
11-29-2012, 21:22
Power windows just plain suck, but a necessary evil it seems nowadays. Regulators can be replaced themselves depending whether the motor is riveted to the assembly or not. You can still drill the rivets and replace with screws but often cheaper to replace the whole assembly vs time. Also some windows the clips that hold are glued like in a lot of cars like nissans. You will need to re-epoxy the clips to the glass or risk the crooked glass syndrome. It may be better to pay the dealer or a friend that knows what he is doing to do the work if you have no experience. The cable itself is rarely a option to replace itself.

Mr Turdle
11-29-2012, 21:43
Check E-Bay. I got the complete unit with motor for my Durango for $50 (new).

whitetiger7653
11-29-2012, 22:01
If you need it to stay up when mine broke I took off the door panel and pulled the window up by hand then zip tied the mechanical parts in place. Then there's no worry of busting the window.

Minnow
11-29-2012, 22:02
Check with these folks. They have an online part search.

http://www.lkqcorp.com/

Kevin108
11-29-2012, 22:14
If you do it yourself, buy a large suction cup or two for moving the glass and securing it while you're working in the door. +1 for Rock Auto. They've been great to me.

Berto
11-30-2012, 13:31
Power windows just plain suck, but a necessary evil it seems nowadays. Regulators can be replaced themselves depending whether the motor is riveted to the assembly or not. You can still drill the rivets and replace with screws but often cheaper to replace the whole assembly vs time. Also some windows the clips that hold are glued like in a lot of cars like nissans. You will need to re-epoxy the clips to the glass or risk the crooked glass syndrome. It may be better to pay the dealer or a friend that knows what he is doing to do the work if you have no experience. The cable itself is rarely a option to replace itself.

I lucked out with the window, it's a bolt-on arrangement to the lower sash, so no real complexity to keeping it aligned. It looks like the motor is also a bolt-on to the regulator assembly.
It's actually not as bad as it intially looked, just a pisser not being able to do the cable since it's the only real issue- but it doesn't look like there's any 'pretty' way of replacing it without trashing the clips and plastic parts holding the cable to the regulator.
I'd loooove the crap out of just being able to use a bike cable.:upeyes:

Berto
11-30-2012, 13:35
If you need it to stay up when mine broke I took off the door panel and pulled the window up by hand then zip tied the mechanical parts in place. Then there's no worry of busting the window.

I'd be so pissed if I broke the window...I'd probably have replace the entire door then.http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/sauer/angry-smiley-002.gif

THat's a great idea though, thanks.:supergrin: