Arc'teryx donates waterproof capes to Vancouver homeless [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Arc'teryx donates waterproof capes to Vancouver homeless

4Rules
11-29-2012, 13:46
Dubbed the Bird’s Nest Project, the program “repurposes excess fabric and creates weatherproof capes to help offset the cold and wet of winter for those living on the street,” according to the company’s website (http://arcteryx.com/Article.aspx?EN&article=Arc-teryx-Birds-Nest-Project-2012).
http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/11/28/vancouver-to-have-best-dressed-homeless-in-canada-high-end-clothing-manufacturer-donates-exclusive-waterproof-capes/ (http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/11/28/vancouver-to-have-best-dressed-homeless-in-canada-high-end-clothing-manufacturer-donates-exclusive-waterproof-capes/)

:cool:

mr00jimbo
11-29-2012, 14:48
Nice initiative! But sadly I bet they will be selling them for drugs.

RichJ
11-29-2012, 14:53
Funny you should say that. One of the first comments was...

"guess we'll soon find out how much crack you can get in exchange for a really nice Gore-Tex jacket."

:rofl:

mr00jimbo
11-29-2012, 15:15
Hahaha
I guess from living here and seeing the homeless you get cynical.

We have an area of town that is relinquished to drug addicts. Since they jaywalk, the speed limit is lowered to a school zone speed for their safety.
The government provides them with needles, and paraphernalia as well as a building and nurses so they can safely shoot up.

There is social housing in multi million dollar areas that is trashed.

"experts" now want to give them free heroin and free alcohol.

I have a lot of compassion for a man or woman down on their luck...BUT in my opinion if you want the governments help, they should sober you up, clean you up and put you back on your feet not allow this **** to happen.

PEC-Memphis
11-30-2012, 10:28

Funny you should say that. One of the first comments was...

"guess we'll soon find out how much crack you can get in exchange for a really nice Gore-Tex jacket."

:rofl:

That the reason they plan to make more (ponchos) than there are homeless in Vancover.

skorper
11-30-2012, 10:50
That the reason they plan to make more (ponchos) than there are homeless in Vancover.

Then that's going to be a lot of ponchos.

janice6
11-30-2012, 10:55
So "Waterproof" is a super power now...........(capes)

PBCounty
11-30-2012, 11:03
Liberals are kinda cute if you think about it.

Dennis in MA
11-30-2012, 11:13
So "Waterproof" is a super power now...........(capes)

No capes!!!!!!! - YouTube

:rofl::rofl:

Bren
11-30-2012, 11:18
"experts" now want to give them free heroin and free alcohol.

I have a lot of compassion for a man or woman down on their luck...BUT in my opinion if you want the governments help, they should sober you up, clean you up and put you back on your feet not allow this **** to happen.

How about this suggestion - we give them free heroin, alcohol, whatever they want - all legal and free for anybody to walk in an partake, but they can only use it inside a walled/gated community and they have to test 100% clean to be allowed to leave?

I'm serious - imagine how many problems that addresses - war on drugs, homeless, DUI, drug crime, etc., etc.

Dennis in MA
11-30-2012, 11:34
How about this suggestion - we give them free heroin, alcohol, whatever they want - all legal and free for anybody to walk in an partake, but they can only use it inside a walled/gated community and they have to test 100% clean to be allowed to leave?

I'm serious - imagine how many problems that addresses - war on drugs, homeless, DUI, drug crime, etc., etc.

I wanna say Denmark or Netherlands has a heroin program. You have to PROVE you are an addict to get in. You get free heroin. They counsel you to get off. About 10% of people get off a year, allegedly.

I can't see it working out well for them.

No recreational users. Functioning users only. Gotta come in regularly. I think their pool is biased towards the "good" addicts.