Anyone have a custom knee brace? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a custom knee brace?

Glock&KimberLady
11-29-2012, 14:44
Getting fitted soon for a custom lateral unloader (DonJoy, I believe).

Anyone have experience with them, tips, etc.? I will be wearing it mostly for snowboarding and dirtbiking.

This won't be for arthritis like a traditional unloader, or for ACL/MCL issues like a CI brace...more for support during the sports I do because in addition to my already jacked up meniscus and subsequent surgery, I picked up two new meniscal tears since May. :shocked:

NMGlocker
11-29-2012, 14:52
I have two CTi/Ossur carbon fiber custom knee braces, well worth the expense and CTi has a motocross accessory kit that adds a knee guard, pads and a sleeve.

I had to go from this (ACL, MCL, tibial plateau break): http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p82/JodyHuggins/IMG00009.jpg

To this: http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p82/JodyHuggins/utf-8BSU1HMDAwMTAuanBn.jpg

Glock&KimberLady
11-29-2012, 14:58
That is a whamodyne lookin brace. For ACL instability?

I don't "race" bikes any more (and I was never very good at it), just ride in the woods.

You wear that on your bare leg, no sleeve?

Neero
11-29-2012, 15:06
I have one when I do more intensive exercise these days. Fitted for it after having a new ACL installed and lateral and medial meniscus tears fixed up. My surgeon said I don't technically need one but he suggested it as a good precaution (and probably got a kickback for it but whatever, it's hella cool!)

I wear mine on skin. Just keep it clean. The pads should pull off and be washable. I do notice that my range of motion when bending my leg is a little limited by the brace but part of that is that my leg is still not quite as strong as it was before surgery.

Best advice I can give though: get a really cool and obnoxious custom color. I mean, if you're got to rock a brace, ROCK A BRACE!

ArtificialGrape
11-29-2012, 15:12
I wore a DonJoy temporarily after my ACL reconstruction (soccer) years ago, but was not required after the rehabilitation. It wasn't particularly bothersome.

-ArtificialGrape

Glock&KimberLady
11-29-2012, 15:14
@Neero - I was wondering about the range of motion. I hadn't planned on using any lockouts, but the ability to land in a squat without breaking my leg would be good (thinking flipping off a jump and landin low on a snowboard).

Of course, the thought of modifying mymrecreational activities is :alex:

I figure I'll go with butterflies or some crazy pink and black gradient (DonJoy Defiance). Then again, it'll be under multiple snow layers or dirtbike leathers anyway. Mr. GKL has a CI brace in hot pink waaaay back in the day... :supergrin:

VC-Racing
11-29-2012, 15:54
@Neero - I was wondering about the range of motion. I hadn't planned on using any lockouts, but the ability to land in a squat without breaking my leg would be good (thinking flipping off a jump and landin low on a snowboard).

Of course, the thought of modifying mymrecreational activities is :alex:

I figure I'll go with butterflies or some crazy pink and black gradient (DonJoy Defiance). Then again, it'll be under multiple snow layers or dirtbike leathers anyway. Mr. GKL has a CI brace in hot pink waaaay back in the day... :supergrin:

I have a Donjoy Defiance made out of carbon fiber :supergrin:. I wear mine if I'm out going something rigorous or slightly dangerous. When I was fitted for mine , I told the tech I had some knee high snakeboots and motocross boots . I'll add a pic in a few mins.

I attempted to add a pic thru ohub but no joy.....

Glock&KimberLady
11-29-2012, 16:18
Well poop...I would have liked to see it.

I figure I'll tell the rep to,allow for,snowboarding boots and moto boots. Although maybe I should try to wrangle waterproof stuff too...after all, I do jetski...

:tempted:

NMGlocker
11-29-2012, 17:13
That is a whamodyne lookin brace. For ACL instability?

I don't "race" bikes any more (and I was never very good at it), just ride in the woods.

You wear that on your bare leg, no sleeve?
Get your Orthopedic to work with the brace fitter for the best options. Mine was fitted to support everything since I basically blew out and/or broke everything there is to tear up in a knee.

I have a pair of the Fox knee brace riding socks for motorcycles.
When I'm riding mountainbikes or other moderate exercise I just wear it bareback with no problems.
The CTi is also waterproof so you can wear it water skiing.
I have the "Sport" version which is supposedly strong enough for pro football players.
Mine has survived a LOT of abuse with just a few scratches.

onebigelf
11-29-2012, 17:22
I have custom braces for both knees ( basically no cartilage to speak of, no interior medials, and no stability. It was cool having plaster casts of both legs done and seeing my "leg" from an external perspective. I build armor on mine and fought in them, but kept tearing them up. Now I just wear them when the knees are overstressed and wobbley.

John

Steel Head
11-29-2012, 18:21
Getting fitted soon for a custom lateral unloader (DonJoy, I believe).

Anyone have experience with them, tips, etc.? I will be wearing it mostly for snowboarding and dirtbiking.

This won't be for arthritis like a traditional unloader, or for ACL/MCL issues like a CI brace...more for support during the sports I do because in addition to my already jacked up meniscus and subsequent surgery, I picked up two new meniscal tears since May. :shocked:

I have a fitted donjoy-acl/mcl.
Pay close attention to fitting instructions.
The donjoy I have is pretty compact and comfy.

VC-Racing
11-30-2012, 08:33
Here's the shot of the rear.

The bottom strap sits near the top of the calf muscle.

2cats
11-30-2012, 09:41
I have an ancient persciption brace from 1990 for an unrepaired acute ACL tear. It was great - went back to full activity. But that was due in part - and here is my tip - to the fact that I've done leg extensions, curls, and squats for the past 22 years. Keep your strength up, especially when you get older. Best of luck, and have fun.

BigMoneyGrip
11-30-2012, 09:47
I had the CTi fitted for me after ACL/Meniscus overhaul.It was the most uncomfortable thing I ever wore. I tried it a few times and hated it. I finally got tired of it and threw it in the woods. I'll go look for it and send it to ya, if you'd like.

I am a stand up rider. If you sit a lot, it might be better.

NMGlocker
11-30-2012, 10:38
I had the CTi fitted for me after ACL/Meniscus overhaul.It was the most uncomfortable thing I ever wore. I tried it a few times and hated it. I finally got tired of it and threw it in the woods. I'll go look for it and send it to ya, if you'd like.

I am a stand up rider. If you sit a lot, it might be better.
I'd have gone to a different fitter.
I wear mine in a lot of different sports and they never felt uncomfortable. Supportive and they do restrict movement along certain axis (but there's a reason for that) but a properly fitted brace should not be uncomfortable.

VC-Racing
11-30-2012, 11:41
I'd have gone to a different fitter.
I wear mine in a lot of different sports and they never felt uncomfortable. Supportive and they do restrict movement along certain axis (but there's a reason for that) but a properly fitted brace should not be uncomfortable.

Yep. I had to wear mine for 6 months when I got out my full length brace. I was even slept in mine.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

FPS
11-30-2012, 12:36
I have two CTi/Ossur carbon fiber custom knee braces, well worth the expense and CTi has a motocross accessory kit that adds a knee guard, pads and a sleeve.

I had to go from this (ACL, MCL, tibial plateau break): http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p82/JodyHuggins/IMG00009.jpg

To this: http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p82/JodyHuggins/utf-8BSU1HMDAwMTAuanBn.jpg

I've had ACL reconstruction on both of my knees (accidents were ten years apart). I have two CTI custom braces. One left and one right. I only where them skiing/snowboarding. I really like them. In fact, I'm heading out skiing for the weekend today and I just packed them in my truck.

Glock&KimberLady
12-01-2012, 15:15
Had a call Friday saying I had to come back in to the office and "discuss what kind of brace you need with the doctor".

Called back and explained we'd already discussed it, I was wearing the off-the-shelf brace for a few weeks to satisfy insurance, knowing damn well it wasn't going to work...and that he wanted me to have a custom lateral unloader. I busted the hinge on the OTS brace after about twenty minutes of boarding...the lockout doesn't work any more. /smiles demurely/. TOLD YOU IT WOULDN'T WORK

Doc's assistant agreed, said the "girls in the back" did not agree. Who these mysterious "girls" are, I have no idea.

No coincidence that coming back in will cost me another forty buck copay....for a conversation that might last five minutes. :upeyes:

She has yet to call me back. Guess I need to put my Honey Badger hat on and start hassling them Monday.

Also no coincidence that my current no-deductible plan shoots up to a $700 deductible on January 1st, so I have a vested interest in getting this done NOW.

I love medical BS.

FPS
12-01-2012, 15:46
Had a call Friday saying I had to come back in to the office and "discuss what kind of brace you need with the doctor".

Called back and explained we'd already discussed it, I was wearing the off-the-shelf brace for a few weeks to satisfy insurance, knowing damn well it wasn't going to work...and that he wanted me to have a custom lateral unloader. I busted the hinge on the OTS brace after about twenty minutes of boarding...the lockout doesn't work any more. /smiles demurely/. TOLD YOU IT WOULDN'T WORK

Doc's assistant agreed, said the "girls in the back" did not agree. Who these mysterious "girls" are, I have no idea.

No coincidence that coming back in will cost me another forty buck copay....for a conversation that might last five minutes. :upeyes:

She has yet to call me back. Guess I need to put my Honey Badger hat on and start hassling them Monday.

Also no coincidence that my current no-deductible plan shoots up to a $700 deductible on January 1st, so I have a vested interest in getting this done NOW.

I love medical BS.

How did you break the hinge on your OTS brace? This sounds like you are putting a lot of stress on your knee. Did you hyperextend and somehow break the lockout of the hinge or did the hinge break some other way?

Glock&KimberLady
12-01-2012, 17:07
How did you break the hinge on your OTS brace? This sounds like you are putting a lot of stress on your knee. Did you hyperextend and somehow break the lockout of the hinge or did the hinge break some other way?

The hyperextension lockouts were set at 10 degrees...the left hinge started clicking and catching when I walked about 20 minutes into my first run...checked the brace and the hinge can bend equally forward or backward. I don't know if I lost the lockout bit or if I truly broke the hinge, but the hyperextension protection is only on one side. Which is kinda worthless.

And it's, you know, off the shelf....:whistling:

I really do love snowboarding. It was a long day, lots of ice and scratch, a few jumps and multiple wipeouts. In others, a normal outing for me. :supergrin:

FPS
12-01-2012, 21:56
The hyperextension lockouts were set at 10 degrees...the left hinge started clicking and catching when I walked about 20 minutes into my first run...checked the brace and the hinge can bend equally forward or backward. I don't know if I lost the lockout bit or if I truly broke the hinge, but the hyperextension protection is only on one side. Which is kinda worthless.

Sounds like a piece of junk.

Glock&KimberLady
12-01-2012, 23:44
Sounds like a piece of junk.

Pretty much. I didn't expect it to be any better than my other OTS brace...and it wasn't

More to make the insurance happy than anything else.:cool:

Folsom_Prison
12-01-2012, 23:51
I had magic legs once, then Jenny told me to ruuuuuuun!!