Cutting sugar out of my life.. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cutting sugar out of my life..

mr00jimbo
11-29-2012, 14:45
Not entirely. I mean, I still drink orange juice and its in random places. But no more sugar in my coffee, no more chocolate bars, no more sweets, no more pop/soda.

Damn is it hard not to relapse!

But with that and exercise I'm losing weight already.
Still I wish I could take a big bite out of a chocolate cookie!!!!

Ugh

JMS
11-29-2012, 14:47
OJ has as much sugar as soda.

jakebrake
11-29-2012, 14:55
good luck! i cut it out a while back. (okay...the occasional coca cola...a guys gotta live) a couple weeks, you really won't miss it.

Atlas
11-29-2012, 14:58
As a kid I was seriously addicted to sugar.
At age 25 I learned what a caloric waste sugar is and how harmful to human health.

I kicked that habit 30 years ago and have never looked back, .

ozark-tracker
11-29-2012, 15:02
I had a light heart attack in Sept, got a stent put in and now am up to walking 2 to 3 miles a day now, doc told me no Salt and lose a little weight , the 7th of dec will be 3 months, I've lost 45 pounds, been on a low fat, Turkey and chicken meat baked and no to low sugar, no bread, no potato's, except sweeet potato's, water to drink most of the time, ice tea once or twice a week,
you'll get used to low sugar in a few weeks and try some of the foods cooked no sugar they are a lot better than what you'd think, and the sugarless hard candy is good too, if your get anything homemade, pies cakes or such, cut the sugar down by half you can't hardly tell the difference, or use sugar substitute,
if you want to lose some weight, you can sure do it if you cut out some of the bad stuff and keep a watch of the portions you eat.

G19Tony
11-29-2012, 15:05
Last summer, I cut out beer and soda. I lost 20lbs without doing anything. Sadly, I relapsed. I'm doing it again. This time, with exercise! :faint:

It's hard, but it will be worth it.

Good luck to you, friend. :cool:

HexHead
11-29-2012, 15:08
I've been on a low sugar diet since 2008. I'm about ready to eat my revolver.

nursetim
11-29-2012, 15:09
Don't use sugar substitute. Go real or go home. Our bodies were never meant to process HFCS much less sugar substitute. Do your due diligence before you stuff your gob. At 46, I'm finally paying attention to what goes in my gob. It gets easier as you go. :thumbsup:

mr00jimbo
11-29-2012, 15:10
Thank you all for your support. I got too fat, especially around my belly. And I started to feel lightheaded. So I checked my blood pressure and it kept rising and rising! I felt like I was gonna pass out so I went to the hospital fearing something bad. My blood work came back normal. But it was the first time I had high bp in my LIFE as any time it's checked it's optimal.

I went home, said cut out the sugar, exercise, drop the damn fat, have a super strong heart.

certifiedfunds
11-29-2012, 15:14
Don't use sugar substitute. Go real or go home. Our bodies were never meant to process HFCS much less sugar substitute. Do your due diligence before you stuff your gob. At 46, I'm finally paying attention to what goes in my gob. It gets easier as you go. :thumbsup:

Your body doesn't process sucres lose/splenda

samurairabbi
11-29-2012, 15:17
It may be worth tracking fructose (corn syrup/sugar) intake versus glucose (CANE sugar) intake. There are decent indications that corn sugar is much rougher on the metabolism than cane sugar. Such a difference might make behavior easier to do.

CitizenOfDreams
11-29-2012, 16:49
I've been on a low sugar diet since 2008. I'm about ready to eat my revolver.

No big deal, how many calories can be in a revolver?

Kingarthurhk
11-29-2012, 16:57
Not entirely. I mean, I still drink orange juice and its in random places. But no more sugar in my coffee, no more chocolate bars, no more sweets, no more pop/soda.

Ugh

I did the same thing. There are plenty of sugar free alternatives out there in various products. Also, there is a natural sweetner to explore: stevia. It may seem bleak, but there are plenty of alternatives out there. After a year or two, you won't really care about it anymmore.

Armchair Commando
11-29-2012, 16:57

Ugh

Drinking orange juice is almost the same as drinking pop. Unless your squeezing it yourself and not drinking store bought crap.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Harper
11-29-2012, 17:09
Don't use sugar substitute. Go real or go home. Our bodies were never meant to process HFCS much less sugar substitute.

Yes, your body is definitely made to process HFCS and any other sugar consisting solely of fructose and glucose.

It really doesn't matter a whole lot what type of carbs they are. Fructose is more likely to convert to adipose tissue and by eating "sweets" you don't get the vitamins and fiber you probably would otherwise. It wouldn't make much difference in body composition if half your carbs came from candy bars. Practically speaking though, "sweets" don't fill you up and most people over eat and don't count their calories.

Bow Commander
11-29-2012, 17:10
Sugar is overrated.

Salt on the other hand... :eat:

Glock19Cowner
11-29-2012, 17:11
First congrats on the decision to better health. It does get easier after a couple of week and you'll feel great. I cut all the good stuff in life out fried foods, candy, and pretty much anything else that has sugar and anything that is excessively processed foods three months ago and at first it was tough, but now wake up feeling great and went from 225 to 190 got 10 more to go and I'll be where I was after BCT. No plans of stopping anytime soon.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Harper
11-29-2012, 17:12
It may be worth tracking fructose (corn syrup/sugar) intake versus glucose (CANE sugar) intake. There are decent indications that corn sugar is much rougher on the metabolism than cane sugar. Such a difference might make behavior easier to do.

HFCS has nearly the same fructose to glucose ratio as cane sugar. It's hard to believe there's any metabolic differences considering the macros are chemically the same thing. Do you have a link?

Huaco Kid
11-29-2012, 17:17
I put sugar on my sugar.

And wash it down with sweet tea.

samurairabbi
11-29-2012, 17:18
HFCS has nearly the same fructose to glucose ratio as cane sugar. It's hard to believe there's any metabolic differences considering the macros are chemically the same thing. Do you have a link?
Not offhand; I still am a "paper" kind of guy.

Compare the entries for glucose and fructose on google. There are noticable differences in their structures; whether those differences have clearly demonstrable metabolic consequences is still up for grabs.

One item that muddies the glucose/fructose picture: many brands of "table sugar" are actually fructose/glucose mixes. Many people think all granulated sugar is straight glucose.

Halojumper
11-29-2012, 17:28
It may be worth tracking fructose (corn syrup/sugar) intake versus glucose (CANE sugar) intake.

I believe cane sugar is sucrose. Glucose is what all sugars and carbs get broken down into.

GreenDrake
11-29-2012, 17:28
Cut out flour and starches too, those two combined is a huge help to losing weight. I still juice daily too.

certifiedfunds
11-29-2012, 17:34
Table sugar is sucrose

Harper
11-29-2012, 17:34
Compare the entries for glucose and fructose on google. There are noticable differences in their structures; whether those differences have clearly demonstrable metabolic consequences is still up for grabs.

No, I'm aware glucose and fructose metabolize differently. Both cane sugar and HFCS are about 50/50 fructose/glucose. "High Fructose Corn Syrup" does not equal pure fructose despite common misconceptions.

Harper
11-29-2012, 17:37
Table sugar is sucrose

Yes and sucrose is a disaccharide composed of a fructose molecule bonded to a glucose molecule. HFCS varies but is roughly half fructose and half glucose.

RPVG
11-29-2012, 17:40
Yes and sucrose is a disaccharide composed of a fructose molecule bonded to a glucose molecule. HFCS varies but is roughly half fructose and half glucose.
A disaccharide? I had one of those once, but the little wheel fell off.

Nestor
11-29-2012, 17:44
No big deal, how many calories can be in a revolver?

38, but all of them special.

certifiedfunds
11-29-2012, 17:48

Brain fart

nursetim
11-29-2012, 18:27
Take your pick of these videos.

http://m.youtube.com/results?q=sugar%20the%20bitter%20truth

Certified, my search did not back up your claim in your post that quoted me. Help a brother out.

Bigpoppie50
11-29-2012, 18:29
I found out I had diabetes and I have done the same exact thing. I eat no more sweets but I do drink orange juice in moderation and also healthy balance grape juice(6grams per serving). I haven't had a soda in about 6 months. I feel alot better also.

certifiedfunds
11-29-2012, 19:10
Take your pick of these videos.

http://m.youtube.com/results?q=sugar%20the%20bitter%20truth

Certified, my search did not back up your claim in your post that quoted me. Help a brother out.

What do you see contrary that isn't natural news or mercola type stuff? It's chlorinated sucrose.

Everything I've ever read that looks halfway reliable and non-conspiratorial indicates it passes through the digestive tract with a small amount being absorbed and excreted in urine.

What I've tried to find is a metabolic pathway showing how it is metabolized but I haven't found anything.

Harper
11-29-2012, 19:18
The bulk of sucralose ingested is not absorbed by the gastrointestinal (GI) tract and is directly excreted in the feces, while 11-27% of it is absorbed.[4] The amount absorbed from the GI tract is largely removed from the blood stream by the kidneys and eliminated in the urine, with 20-30% of the absorbed sucralose being metabolized.[4]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucralose

certifiedfunds
11-29-2012, 19:28
http://www.boresharesearch.com/PDF/METABOLIC%20IMPACT%20OF%20SWEETENERS-GRI.pdf

certifiedfunds
11-29-2012, 19:30
radioactive poo

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10882816

Dennis in MA
11-30-2012, 08:08
Good for you.

I try, but man I love me tha-suggah! I avoid it for the most part. I don't eat much candy outside of Halloween and Easter. (Strange that pseudo-Christian holidays foist candy on you. LOL) My kids are still too addicted to carbs, so there is always too many in the house. I usually can keep away.

My wife is INGRAINED into eating bad carbs and thinking they are good. Decades of bad programming. I'm working on it. :)

racerford
11-30-2012, 09:45
There is recent evidence that sugar substitutes may cause you to eat more. The body expects certain things to happen after you eat sweets (increase in blood sugar, etc) and is not as fulfilling, so you eat more.

It is funny that what you expect to happen doesn't always happen. My lowest combined Cholesterol number was when I was on the Adkins diet. Let's just say bacon was my friend and I did not avoid fats at all.

It did take a while to get used to the lack of carbohydrates.

certifiedfunds
11-30-2012, 11:07
There is recent evidence that sugar substitutes may cause you to eat more. The body expects certain things to happen after you eat sweets (increase in blood sugar, etc) and is not as fulfilling, so you eat more.

It is funny that what you expect to happen doesn't always happen. My lowest combined Cholesterol number was when I was on the Adkins diet. Let's just say bacon was my friend and I did not avoid fats at all.

It did take a while to get used to the lack of carbohydrates.

Yes. They affect different parts of the brain satiety center....and stuff

sputnik767
11-30-2012, 11:40

Ugh

It's fine to minimize sugar, but if it were me, I would focus more on cutting out high fructose corn syrup. Without getting into the biochemistry of it all, the metabolism of glucose in your body is very highly regulated, whereas the metabolism of fructose is not. And while table sugar is a dimer of glucose and fructose, it is still half the fructose.