What have you done with your pets that have passed? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What have you done with your pets that have passed?

Rabbi
11-29-2012, 16:42
I am not facing this, just curious.

I know what it is like to have a powerful bond with an Animal and to know the love and joys of a good buddy. One of the worst parts of it all is they dont live very long.

What are some of the things you have done with the remains or to commemorate a pet that has passed?

heliguy
11-29-2012, 16:50
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1443054

*ASH*
11-29-2012, 16:52
handle it privately

WFBont7
11-29-2012, 16:52
My pets have a burial spot in my yard. My work dogs are creamated and have a spot in my office.

Caver 60
11-29-2012, 16:53
Probably not what you want to hear, but when I lived in the city, I just dug a hole in the back yard, put them in, and covered it up. Never gave it a second thought.

Now that I live in the country on many acres, I put them on the tractor carry all, take them back to a back corner of the woods and dump them. The crows/buzzards/coyotes make quick work of them.

Then I go down to the pound and get a replacement.

*ASH*
11-29-2012, 16:54
Probably not what you want to hear, but when I lived in the city, I just dug a hole in the back yard, put them in, and covered it up. Never gave it a second thought.

Now that I live in the country on many acres, I put them on the tractor carry all, take them back to a back corner of the woods and dump them. The crows/buzzards/coyotes make quick work of them.

dude seriously , WTF !!

Jade Falcon
11-29-2012, 16:54
Our first cat we had cremated a number of years ago; I think I was still in Jr.H.S. at the time. That was very hard. Her urn is still sitting on a shelf outside my father's office at my parent's house, with a picture of her. She was very old (about 18), and I didn't have it in me to go to her euthenization.

Our second cat, one of two (siblings), Basky, was put to sleep, and we let the Vet cremate her as they pleased. Also very hard. I don't know if I can go to the vet when it's time to put down her sibling, Cleo (she's pushing 16-17 years). It will be very hard.

yellolab
11-29-2012, 16:56

Ouch that's tough

RonS
11-29-2012, 16:59
Cats get buried and something planted. Dogs get cremated and the ashes buried, again with a shrub, small tree etc nearby. Not maudlin about it but don't discard them like trash either.

On the other hand our house is very old, pre 1900, post 1865 not really sure. At one time a very old gentleman owned the house and lived here alone. When his dog died he tried to buy a casket from the local funeral home, across the street. The owner declined thinking it was not something he wanted to get involved in. So the old gent just went to the next town over, bought his casket and buried his dog in the side yard. He, or she I never heard which, is buried about 20 feet from where I am sitting, just outside the living room window.

rockabillyrider
11-29-2012, 17:01
They are all buried in the back yard. Everytime I cut the grass I say hi and tell them how much I miss them. Maybe that's the reason why my lawn looks so nice.

Radam3
11-29-2012, 17:03
Just had my cat put down earlier this month. Took her body home (actually to my parents house) and buried her under a tree I had planted when I was in elementary school. Made a nice little rock cross to mark the spot.

All of our other animals have been buried in our own little "pet cemetery." A small garden next to my parents garage. (Which was now to the point where its "full" and I didn't want to risk digging up an old pet to bury this one. Hence why she got a new location)

ColdSteelNail
11-29-2012, 17:06
We have had a few cats pass away over the years. Our vet has a cremation service. Their ashes are scattered in the woods behind our house where they used to run around and do whatever it is cats do.

fusegsp
11-29-2012, 17:07
Cremation. The last two dogs we lost both died in February. Digging holes in the ground in Iowa in February is a no-go.

NeverMore1701
11-29-2012, 17:08
I bury them in the back yard.

janice6
11-29-2012, 17:09
Cremation.

M2 Carbine
11-29-2012, 17:12
Have a LONG pet cemetery along the back fence.

Gregoire G
11-29-2012, 17:14
Cremation. I have his ashes in a cedar box with his name on it. He was a cat. Cold comfort but I still have him with me in a way.

Pima Pants
11-29-2012, 17:15
Private cremation; remains returned to me and kept with other pets who have gone before.

G-34
11-29-2012, 17:15

seriously dude, no disrespect but that is really being a cold hearted hardass

byf43
11-29-2012, 17:18
Our oldest Irish Setter (Max) was donated to the University of Maryland for forensic tests.

Our second Irish Setter (Clancy) was cremated.

We are having more medical issues with our English Springer Spaniel (Russell).
We may have to put him down.
I don't want to think about what we'll have to do.

This ESS has brought so much joy to this home.

GLWyandotte
11-29-2012, 17:28
I used to bury them....
Last summer, one of my kids favorite chickens, Jan, died. It was Sunday morning and I buried her. Went to Church, came home, kids are sad....
Damn, Dad, the internet and cable are down! I'm thinking how could this day get worse?
I call Comcast, much to my surprise, they send a guy out on a Sunday.
I'm looking at the lines that run through an Oak and say "I suppose the wind disconnected the line up there somewhere, eh?"
"Nope" says he. "Your lines are in the ground"
He snoops around, looks at me and says "done any digging lately? "
"why yes, I buried a chicken this morning" I replied.
Oh crap! I explained what happened and he very kindly replaced the cut line gratis.

larry_minn
When ground is not frozen they get burried. Frozen ground they are burried in snow. ;( In spring I TRY to bury them when ground thaws.
I try to pre-dig a hole in fall if I have sick animal/cover with plywood/bale of straw.

Glock20 10mm
I tend to immolate them now that I have the space and resources to do it. Hate digging and the ashes can be used in the mulch piles. As I said before, my pets are just that, pets. They get treated well and cared for but when the time comes I put them down myself with a .22LR to the back of the head then dispose of the remains by fire.

Although when I do I make sure the wife and kids are out on a long errand. They don't need to see or hear what's happening. I grew up old school, it's how my dad did it, my grand dad and I can pretty much guarantee my great grand dad. We are farmers and take care of our animals health needs and their disposal as needed. And like my dad, I don't let an animal suffer no matter what the animal is. And like my dad, if I can't fix what's wrong with an animal and the vet can't do it for less than $100.00 then I end the suffering and move on.

jdavionic
11-29-2012, 17:45
Well, I suspect some will raise issues with this but since you asked.

One of our pets was an absolutely wonderful cat. He was the sweetest cat I have ever owned and my oldest daughter fell in love with him right away (he was around before she was born). When she was a toddler, she would sleep with him and he would just lie with her like a dog.

After many years, he grew ill. The vet basically said that he didn't think he would last much longer, but he was not suffering. So we kept him home. I warned her that he might die any time. One night, she noticed he was lying on the ground near her bed and breathing funny. She said that she knew he was dying that night but just wanted to be with him. When I got up, I noticed her sleeping on the floor with her head right next to him. He was dead.

I removed him and brought him to the garage. I built him a little coffin. She decorated it with a little pillow, small toys that he loved, some flowers, and then we closed it up. I had already dug a hole in the backyard near the treeline. We went over, placed him in the ground, buried him, said some prayers together, and that's where he is today.

true believer
11-29-2012, 17:56
Cremation.

ditto...

fusegsp
11-29-2012, 17:57
Well, I suspect some will raise issues with this but since you asked.I don't know why anybody would have an issue with the way you handled that. Looks good to me.

jdavionic
11-29-2012, 18:00
I don't know why anybody would have an issue with the way you handled that. Looks good to me.

I had a some people citing that what I did violated some sort of ordinances.

Lone Wolf8634
11-29-2012, 18:01
Private cremation; remains returned to me and kept with other pets who have gone before.

Same here. With a picture and the dates they were born/died.

Gonzoso
11-29-2012, 18:03
There's some cold people on here!

We get them put down by the vet, then I usually tear up and cry as I dig the hole and put the beloved pet in it.

Barring an emergency I couldn't shoot my dog. Cats, maybe, lord knows I've killed plenty of feral ones. But I couldn't kill my own dog like that, not without some emotional damage.

I thought I was a cold bastard. I've hunted since 12, killed hundreds of squirrel, lots of deer, turkey, pheasant, and countless fish. This past tuesday I held the head of a buck as a fellow I know hacked it off with a hacksaw. But I'll never shoot my own dog.

MtBaldy
11-29-2012, 18:05
Obie and our beloved Sunny are side by side in the bookcase (their ashes at least):

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b20/wscott52/SunnyGT.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b20/wscott52/NoWorrys.jpg

ps

Sunny is the regal Doberman in the picture. The pomeranian (aka Rat Dog) was my wife's oldest daughters. At 16 she said, "I either want a baby or a dog". We got her the dog.

boozer
11-29-2012, 18:07
Bury the cats (Dang, I think there is five now in the garden) and cremate the pooch.

A 60 lb. dog is too big to stash in the yard, plus it is illegal here.

I still have the ashes of "Moosie" to spread at his favorite exercise area.

He was as good a dog as there is, still, just a dog.

fusegsp
11-29-2012, 18:07
I had a some people citing that what I did violated some sort of ordinances.Got it. I went rural in '95 and sometimes forget about the silly rules in the cities. Hell, where I live people probably have some relatives buried in their yards.

handyman
11-29-2012, 18:08
When my buddy passed I made this for him.

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr155/hondaman1998/boxes.jpg

vikingsoftpaw
11-29-2012, 18:11
Cremation and common burial. Services were provided by the Vet's office.

jdavionic
11-29-2012, 18:14
Got it. I went rural in '95 and sometimes forget about the silly rules in the cities. Hell, where I live people probably have some relatives buried in their yards.

We're in a more suburb area but still in the county that includes more dense areas. Years ago, it was all farm area. I look forward to the day when move further out from this area.

GeorgiaGlocker
11-29-2012, 18:15
I have always buried them in the backyard. My sister, however, has creamated her last two pets that have died. A dog and a cat and have their ashes in her house.

jdavionic
11-29-2012, 18:21

We get them put down by the vet, then I usually tear up and cry as I dig the hole and put the beloved pet in it.

Barring an emergency I couldn't shoot my dog. Cats, maybe, lord knows I've killed plenty of feral ones. But I couldn't kill my own dog like that, not without some emotional damage.

I thought I was a cold bastard. I've hunted since 12, killed hundreds of squirrel, lots of deer, turkey, pheasant, and countless fish. This past tuesday I held the head of a buck as a fellow I know hacked it off with a hacksaw. But I'll never shoot my own dog.

Yep, there is a huge misconception that hunters are somehow apathetic toward animals. I hunt and fish. I recently posted a thread where we rescued a baby squirrel. What a shock!

boozer
11-29-2012, 18:23

Barring an emergency I couldn't shoot my dog..

I remember standing next to my Grandfather in 1966 out on his land. His faithful dog "Gyp" had cancer to the point of bleeding erupting tumors.

He shot her and we buried her. We both had a good cry.

Looking back, it was just as humane as all the times I have taken pets to the vet to have them put down.

TeeJay37
11-29-2012, 18:24
When I was young, my mom buried all of our pets with something sentimental. Like my first dogs' favorite blanket that he stole from me when I was a toddler. She eventually put up a white picket fence around them all.

Kevin108
11-29-2012, 18:27
We've done in-yard burials for all of ours as long as I can remember.

I always follow it up with a re-reading of The Rainbow Bridge.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together...

Author unknown.

aircarver
11-29-2012, 18:33
Only faced this once. Lived out in the woods. Buried Sandy (Sheltie Collie) deep, out in the woods where she ran her whole life.

:crying:

Caver 60
11-29-2012, 18:35
I tend to immolate them now that I have the space and resources to do it. Hate digging and the ashes can be used in the mulch piles. As I said before, my pets are just that, pets. They get treated well and cared for but when the time comes I put them down myself with a .22LR to the back of the head then dispose of the remains by fire.

Although when I do I make sure the wife and kids are out on a long errand. They don't need to see or hear what's happening. I grew up old school, it's how my dad did it, my grand dad and I can pretty much guarantee my great grand dad. We are farmers and take care of our animals health needs and their disposal as needed. And like my dad, I don't let an animal suffer no matter what the animal is. And like my dad, if I can't fix what's wrong with an animal and the vet can't do it for less than $100.00 then I end the suffering and move on.

Basically agree with you. Animals are animals. I love and care for them when they are alive. They get shots, regular vet visits, good care, and good food.

The dog sleeps indoors mostly or outdoors at night, her choice. Normally the cat goes out at night, but if he doesn't want to, cause it's too cold, then he has a bed in the laundry room. His choice.

But when they die no tears are shed. If they get irrecoverably sick, no big vet bills are spent. They get a bullet and I get a replacement.

As I said, animals are animals. Not a whole lot different (except I don't eat them) than those two steers I'm feeding corn to twice a day for slaughter right now. They get vet treatment, plenty of grass, and hay also. Long about next March I will haul them to the butcher, and the half my family eats will taste very good. The rest is sold to customers I have standing in line to get beef I have fed out.

Kasinefect
11-29-2012, 19:27
The first dog was 13 when hit by a car, I buried him next to the old garage where he liked to hang out. He was my wife's dog before we were married and before our son was born. The second had a tumor inside her heart,(no hope), and I had him put down and buried near the potato patch were he liked to hang out. A couple of weeks ago, her litter mate was suffering from renal failure at age 15 so we had her put to sleep and I buried her between the apple tree and the fence-her favorite place in the yard. All three of these dogs were like family as far as we are concerned and I shed a tear with each one.

Narkcop
11-29-2012, 19:39
My First dog a Siberian Husky was buried on a farm. My second dog a Chocolate Lab was put down at the vet and they disposed of him for a fee. My current dog is a GSD and I will likely be so drunk after I lose him I':crying:m not sure what I'll do.

Foxterriermom
11-29-2012, 19:59
My first dog I had cremated and she is in my closet. The next two dogs I wrapped in new blankets with their favorite toys and buried them in the places in the yard where I were most apt to find them lounging in the sun on a warm day. Among other times, I think about them every time I pass those spots. I don't believe I could ever put down one of my animals by myself.

Zonny
11-29-2012, 20:14
Two dogs, a few birds, and a tortoise in the backyard.

8-Ball
11-29-2012, 20:18
Give them one last petting and lay them out in the back 40 for the coyotes.

jakebrake
11-29-2012, 20:23

yeah. the dogs. one cat buried in the backyard.

oddly, had to bury a roadkill squirrel once. my daughter passed it walking home from school. she was devastated.

TeeJay37
11-29-2012, 20:28
yeah. the dogs. one cat buried in the backyard.

oddly, had to bury a roadkill squirrel once. my daughter passed it walking home from school. she was devastated.

A few months ago, my moms cat killed a bird and my sister held a burial ceremony for it.

UtahIrishman
11-29-2012, 20:44
We have buried all of our cats and one dog in our back yard. For each there has been a small cardboard casket and a simple service with wife, daughter and myself in attendance.

We've basically run out of room though (we have a very small back yard) and when the time comes our current generation of cats will be cremated and their ashes put in urns to sit on the fireplace mantel.

Yea...we're sentimental.

janice6
11-29-2012, 20:46
When my buddy passed I made this for him.

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr155/hondaman1998/boxes.jpg
I did mine out of Rosewood. Still hard to think of him gone.

Berto
11-29-2012, 20:50
I buried my last dog at the folk's property, overlooking the Methow river. It's a nice spot.

Fox184
11-29-2012, 21:06
My dog is getting up there in years. I just hope he doesn't die in the wintertime when the ground is frozen.

Gonzoso
11-29-2012, 22:12
My dog is getting up there in years. I just hope he doesn't die in the wintertime when the ground is frozen.

Yeah sometimes its better to dig the hole before hand as well.

Kevin108
11-29-2012, 22:42

If it's too cold to dig, it's too cold to stink. Just leave him somewhere shady until the ground thaws. I've had to do that once.

frank4570
11-29-2012, 22:45
We bury all of our dead right here.

JLB768
11-29-2012, 22:48
Our Rottie was wrapped in her favorite blanket, and buried at our old house. The last two were cremated.

O'Conner
11-29-2012, 23:07
I have cremated and buried my pets for years. Two years ago I buried our last cat's ashes near the creek on my property. My current dobe is getting up there and I have been thinking about how I will honor him after he passes.

Likely will cremate him and spread some of his ashes near where he likes to play. I am planning on commissioning a bronze bust of him to be cast and putting him either in my study or the courtyard nezt to the master bedroom. :embarassed:

schild
11-30-2012, 04:58
I've buried three of my Dobes, but as I've been getting older the last two have been cremated.

Phoebe, the last surviving Dobe of the six that we've rescued is sitting next to me now wanting attention. She's going on ten years old and has congested heart failure, so soon it will be her time for cremation.

http://www.scottschildgen.com/Other/The-Dobes/i-Jmb8S9N/0/L/Phoebe-L.jpg
Phoebe when she was young........

goldenlight
11-30-2012, 05:08

Wow. That's just disgusting.

Perhaps someday someone will do the same for you.

JMarch
11-30-2012, 05:26
This isn't me, but I wouldn't mind doing this (as long as someone else paid for it)
'Copter Cat' - Dead cat flies thru the sky - YouTube

BicycleDay43
11-30-2012, 05:34
The last time I had to bury a pet I was 11 years old. It was my hamster "Matt". I have no idea why, but I placed a pair of GI Joe boots at his grave accompanied by a Joe M16A2 and helmet the day I did it. I guess I thought I was burying a hero for some reason. :wavey:

Sent from the bridge of an Imperial Star Destroyer

Jack_Pine
11-30-2012, 05:41
We just had to put down our 14 yr old Springer 3 weeks ago. Had the vet come to the house and she passed in my arms, very difficult. It was the 5th we have had to do over the years, various breeds.

We have always kept the ashes and collar/tags. They are in a closet. Have not come up with anything that makes sense to do with them, though.

RIP, Kelsey...............
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac255/jack_pine/Dogs/IMG_1061.jpg

JW1178
11-30-2012, 05:51
I had this one cat, Dorothy, got her when I was 6, she died when I was 24. So I grew up with her, she was like a sibling. Burried her in the backyard in a plastic coffin/box, thought I sealed it well. New owner bought the house and saw the little grave site and wanted it moved. So I had to dig it up. That was gross. Didn't open it up, but lesson learned, if you burry something, leave it there.

The issue with animal cremation is that often they cremate several animals at once so the remains you get might be a mix of several animals. You have to watch this and be sure it's single cremation. Even when people are cremated often ashes get a bit mixed because they can't scrape every last ash before or after the cremation.

My Sara is only 5 (black lab) and it's going to be a long time I hope but she will be cremated. Abigail (ragdoll cat) will be cremated too as well. I wish I had Dorothy cremated.

eruby
11-30-2012, 06:05
If my cats don't bury me, I will bury them.

TheExplorer
11-30-2012, 06:07
He's in a nice wooden ash box in my room with his collar on top and picture on the side.

8-Ball
11-30-2012, 06:08
dude seriously , WTF !!

seriously dude, no disrespect but that is really being a cold hearted hardass

Wow. That's just disgusting.

Perhaps someday someone will do the same for you.

I bet he wouldn't mind, you know why? Because he'd be dead and wouldn't know the difference.

What's the point in putting them in the ground? Do you think a new dog is going to grow?

Some how setting your dead pet on fire and scooping up the ashes isn't disgusting but putting it back in life's natural circle is?

TheExplorer
11-30-2012, 06:15
Some how setting your dead pet on fire and scooping up the ashes isn't disgusting but putting it back in life's natural circle is?

Good point. I think either is fine. But stuffing them does give me the creeps.

railfancwb
11-30-2012, 06:22
Some extra special cats cremated. Rest of them buried in pet cemetery in yard. I maintain a plot plan so I know who is where.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

ashecht
11-30-2012, 06:29
Cremated. Urns are on the fireplace mantle surrounded by pictures of them

CBennett
11-30-2012, 06:31
I am not facing this, just curious.

I know what it is like to have a powerful bond with an Animal and to know the love and joys of a good buddy. One of the worst parts of it all is they dont live very long.

What are some of the things you have done with the remains or to commemorate a pet that has passed?

Cremated at the vets office then we get a new one nothing special..that just remains in our hearts no need to do anything special with the "remains".

fx77
11-30-2012, 06:49
Buried some and cremated others..

8-Ball
11-30-2012, 06:50
Good point. I think either is fine. But stuffing them does give me the creeps.

Yea, that seems strange. Living with something that you "knew" or that you're used to seeing jumping around wagging its tail forever staring at the wall in eternal silence? That would creep me out. :supergrin:

Disintegr8or
11-30-2012, 06:54
We let the Vet dispose of them.

Our first death was a GSD that the Wife and I got when we first got married. It was a sudden thing (bloat) and it tore her up pretty bad. They are family, but we don't keep their remains around. She had his collar on her desk for a few months until we got another dog.

If one dies here at the house I would bury it in the yard, but chances are that we will take it to the Vet to be euthanized instead of letting it suffer if we can.

pesticidal
11-30-2012, 07:12
Before kids, the dogs were put down at the vet and I let the vet dispose of them. When my kids were young, we had a couple dogs placed in a local pet cemetery. Now that my kids are grown, and my dog is nearing 12, I'm not sure what I'll do. Cremation, I suppose. But I don't want that to happen for a long time.

Flying-Dutchman
11-30-2012, 13:07
Near here is a cemetery for people with some land on the edge too rocky to dig to a proper depth so they sell plots for pets.

Not my idea but when my old shepherd died suddenly we buried him there.

They told us to fold up his legs before rigor mortis set in so he would fit in the Tupperware box.

We connected all his old metal dog licenses together as a memorial.

rilkil23
11-30-2012, 13:17
Lost two this year. I had Dorie for 10 years and Sarge only stayed with my family for about six months. Both were Basset Hound rescues. I have their collars/name tags by my bed and my two boys wear there names on engraved dog tag necklaces. Call me weird but Dorie got me through some tough times and it was a crushing blow to lose her. Sarge was a sweet old man and my oldest son formed a very close bond with him. Someday I will get another dog but I am taking a break since the wound is still quite fresh.

CanMan
11-30-2012, 13:21
When I was younger and had some acreage they got buried in the 'back 40'. Now that I'm in a bigger city I've ended up taking 'em to the vet's for cremation. I think the nosy old biddy next door would call CSI if she saw me doing anything more than weeding.

Santa CruZin
11-30-2012, 13:30
One of my cats passed away a couple years ago - she's sealed in a vault and entombed in an above-ground marble crypt in my back yard. I'm still working on the artwork for the bronze memorial plaque. There's a slab in front of the crypt for an ornate pewter bench, and I've designed some pretty cool landscaping for the whole thing.

No joke. :)

vart
11-30-2012, 13:36
One dog was cremated by the vet and the other is buried in the back yard with a homemade slate tombstone...

Detectorist
11-30-2012, 13:38
I never understood what pets can mean to people until my little Sunshine came to me.

Berto
11-30-2012, 13:50
Yea, that seems strange. Living with something that you "knew" or that you're used to seeing jumping around wagging its tail forever staring at the wall in eternal silence? That would creep me out. :supergrin:

What would be really weird is having people stuffed and keeping them in a study somewhere.

2@low8
11-30-2012, 14:06
In the "pet cemetery" in the back pasture. For my dogs (2 brittanys) the vet came to the house to put them down. Both went peacefully in their beds on the kitchen floor. Two of the goats died of old age laying next to their feed buckets.

They along with 5 horses, 4 goats, 2 cats and two other dogs are all buried near our lake.

The horses require a back-hoe and dig about a 12 foot deep hole. The soft dirt has the dogs and cats buried on top.

One horse in particular was still capable of walking so we dug the hole, led the horse to the edge and had the vet administer the lethal dose. Milton the back-hoe operator stood at attention (he's a civil war re-enactor), held his hat over his heart and cried right along with the rest of us. We pushed the horse in the hole and covered him up.

blackbirdzach
11-30-2012, 14:07
When my 13 year old German Shepherd dies, she will be cremated and her ashes spread at her favorite place at the park. I know her time is winding down and it'll darn near kill me when she goes.

She goes eveywhere with me.

Snoozing after a hard day of playing with the neighborhood kids.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/253909_2138581066398_7683108_n.jpg

Trunk'o'Treat at the Sheriff's Office with Bella.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/534517_4872171090966_1161507120_n.jpg

With Bella at Sweetwater Creek State Park.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/261786_2121408802774_4764186_n.jpg

Chilling out with Bella a couple of years ago at a family BBQ

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/230434_10150180579262951_634796_n.jpg

On the Appalachian Trail.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/267612_2291980341284_8330331_n.jpg

Happypuppy
11-30-2012, 14:14
We had a animal cemetery on the back 3 acres. If I remember right it has a hedgehog , a bird and 4 dogs buried there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jefs
11-30-2012, 15:00
handle it privately

Do everything you can first.

8-Ball
11-30-2012, 18:39
What would be really weird is having people stuffed and keeping them in a study somewhere.

Why? I think they did a hell of a job on my grandma! What do you think?

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad60/Sar2545x39/75394C75-6E1B-4B62-93F5-9428C8756223-3159-0000043CE7E062F4.jpg

certifiedfunds
11-30-2012, 18:51
We just had to put down our 14 yr old Springer 3 weeks ago. Had the vet come to the house and she passed in my arms, very difficult. It was the 5th we have had to do over the years, various breeds.

We have always kept the ashes and collar/tags. They are in a closet. Have not come up with anything that makes sense to do with them, though.

RIP, Kelsey...............
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac255/jack_pine/Dogs/IMG_1061.jpg

You could have a framing shop do something nice with them.

marv
11-30-2012, 19:13
Pets, feral cats, beligerent coons, etc. I take far enough away from the house that the odor doesn't bother and dump them in the woods. Like Carver60 said, they dont last long.

Jack_Pine
12-01-2012, 18:43
When my 13 year old German Shepherd dies, she will be cremated and her ashes spread at her favorite place at the park. I know her time is winding down and it'll darn near kill me when she goes.

She goes eveywhere with me.

Snoozing after a hard day of playing with the neighborhood kids.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/253909_2138581066398_7683108_n.jpg

Trunk'o'Treat at the Sheriff's Office with Bella.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/534517_4872171090966_1161507120_n.jpg

With Bella at Sweetwater Creek State Park.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/261786_2121408802774_4764186_n.jpg

Chilling out with Bella a couple of years ago at a family BBQ

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/230434_10150180579262951_634796_n.jpg

On the Appalachian Trail.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/267612_2291980341284_8330331_n.jpg

Very cool.. We have a GSD as well....they are better than us.....or any posters......me included.......

janice6
12-01-2012, 18:53

I have to draw the line at huge.

Roy rogers stuffed Trigger and kept him at home.

GotGlock1917
12-01-2012, 18:59
I had a golden retriever die at 14. He's in the backyard.
A few months ago I lost my beloved Clancy. We had him cremated. He's in a pretty wood box with a brass plaque on the piano.

I still have a 13 1/2 year old blind dog and a 4 year old cat. They will probably both get the same treatment as Clancy.

wrenrj1
12-01-2012, 19:00
Still have a cat's ashes that died in 2007 in a bag in our kitchen cabinet. I didn't want it back but the wife made the decision. Funny thing is that the ashes to me seem to weigh more than the cat when we put her to sleep. Still up there in a Royal Crown looking bag with a Rainbow Bridge poem stuck to it. I did play a cruel joke on my wife using fire place ashes acting as our cat, but I won't go there...

TNGlockman
12-01-2012, 19:07
We had our little Yorkie cremated, and her ashes are in a wooden urn in a curio cabinet. There was no way that I could have just buried her in the backyard...

G36's Rule
12-01-2012, 19:07
Just had to put down my best buddy Rocky. He was cremated as were the couple dogs before him. We will spread some of his ash in his favorite places. Yeah, it is silly, but all the dogs I've been priviledged to share life with have had souls as far as I'm concerned.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/Texasbagman/b_132602_2.jpg

8-Ball
12-01-2012, 19:13
Just had to put down my best buddy Rocky. He was cremated as were the couple dogs before him. We will spread some of his ash in his favorite places. Yeah, it is silly, but all the dogs I've been priviledged to share life with have had souls as far as I'm concerned.

I'm sorry to hear about your little buddy. I have to say, that picture is hilarious! :rofl:

G36's Rule
12-01-2012, 19:15
He loved the beach and was very happy that day!

JLA
12-01-2012, 19:25
Cremation as well. I have them buried in a nice flower garden with a rememberance stone as a marker. I also say "Hi" to them and stand there for a moment and think about them. Sometimes I still get choked up.

Nestor
12-01-2012, 20:25
My dog was buried behind our summer house in the small garden outside of the city limits.

LASTRESORT20
12-01-2012, 20:29
They are all buried in the back yard. Everytime I cut the grass I say hi and tell them how much I miss them. Maybe that's the reason why my lawn looks so nice.

Thank you for saying that...That is what I do...I miss all of them `very much....I have pictures of good times...

LASTRESORT20
12-01-2012, 20:32

Agree..................................

racer11
12-01-2012, 21:10
I have a cat that died about 9 years ago,,,, Someone dumped him at the end of my driveway when he was very small. My daughter was out there waiting for the school buss and they tossed him out the window as they drove by. She brought him in to me and I said,,no more mouths to feed. Daughter put up a argument and I said ok if you put him in the barn and if he is there in the morning you can keep him. Well sure as heck he was there in the morning. He lived for about 15 years and we all loved him,,,best cat you could ever have. He never needed a litter box,,just asked to go out to potty and came back in and never messed in the house.

After he died i could not bury him and could not cremate him either. So he is in my deep freeze curled up in the position I left him after he died.

When I'm put to rest he will be curled up in my arm and buried with me.

r3dot
12-02-2012, 19:38
Don't know what I'll do. My pup loves my parents property, but he's also been by my side for almost 11 years. Cremation or bury him on their property...don't have a clue.

inthefrey
12-02-2012, 20:01
Black lab #1(Zilla - 15 yrs) is buried in the side yard where he use to lay. Lab #2(Pepper - 16 yrs) is buried in the front yard under the flower bed. No markers - nothing to keep them from returning to the earth.

Black lab #3(Noir) has not found a special spot yet - she's only 9 months old.

steve581581
12-02-2012, 20:46
My two will be cremated and put in a fancy urn on the mantal. When they go I don't think I'll be having any new pups for a while. But hopefully I've got about six years before I have to worry about that.