M&P 15, Looking to buy tomorrow [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : M&P 15, Looking to buy tomorrow

NDLAWRENCE
11-29-2012, 17:57
I've wanted a black riffle for a while and I've finally got the money. I done some searching and pretty much narrowed it down to the M&P 15 Optics ready or the colt 6920. I found a M&P 15 Optics ready(has the dust cover) on sale for 779$ and it will be 842$ out the door. Does this sound like a good deal?

WayaX
11-29-2012, 18:05
I've wanted a black riffle for a while and I've finally got the money. I done some searching and pretty much narrowed it down to the M&P 15 Optics ready or the colt 6920. I found a M&P 15 Optics ready(has the dust cover) on sale for 779$ and it will be 842$ out the door. Does this sound like a good deal?

Factor in around $200 for good folding BUIS or around $125 for fixed and you're closer to the Colt prices.

The OR will probably be a good rifle, but I'm not a fan of railed gas-blocks. Factoring in the cost of putting iron sights on it and I'd just go ahead and get the Colt. If you can get an M&P for $779 that has irons, then jump on that.

WoodenPlank
11-29-2012, 18:16
Factor in around $200 for good folding BUIS or around $125 for fixed and you're closer to the Colt prices.

The OR will probably be a good rifle, but I'm not a fan of railed gas-blocks. Factoring in the cost of putting iron sights on it and I'd just go ahead and get the Colt. If you can get an M&P for $779 that has irons, then jump on that.

I completely agree with this.

ThinkMud
11-29-2012, 18:26
I love my M&P OR with My Eotech xps2-2 and Troy back ups!! Either would be fine.

NDLAWRENCE
11-29-2012, 18:48

If I don't intend on putting the BUIS, And want to go more of an Eotech direction, Would I be better off saving the money? Also, As far as the railed gas block goes, I'm assuming it has to be removed IF I did want to put a front sight on it? Is that the difference?
Thanks guys!

WoodenPlank
11-29-2012, 19:02
If I don't intend on putting the BUIS, And want to go more of an Eotech direction, Would I be better off saving the money? Also, As far as the railed gas block goes, I'm assuming it has to be removed IF I did want to put a front sight on it? Is that the difference?
Thanks guys!

If you want a fixed front, you can get one that will mount directly to the railed gas block. So long as it is made of metal and not plastic, it should be fine.

Swapping the railed block to a standard A-frame is a little more difficult. You will either have to find a clamp-on or set-screw type, or find a pinned front block and send your barrel off to have the barrel drilled for the A-frame to be installed.

In either case, I would say the Colt is the better overall firearm. If you might sell it later, the Colt will also hold it's value more.

ThinkMud
11-29-2012, 19:19
You can put a BUIS on the front rail, that's why it has a rail:) but just don't put a plastic one on, it will melt.....

9mmmountaineer
11-29-2012, 22:08
I have a m&p 15 OR and I love it, I'd def recommend it to anyone flawless so far. That being said I've never owned nor shot a colt, but I can say from my experience with the M&P, you'll love it

9mm Mountaineer

cowboy1964
11-29-2012, 23:13
I got the OR for under $700 so it was a good deal but I prefer a fixed A2 style front sight. Also 1:7 twist.

I'd go with the Colt.

NDLAWRENCE
11-30-2012, 09:12
Uhh.... Looks like ill save a little longer for the colt...
Thanks Guys!

ThinkMud
11-30-2012, 09:29
Uhh.... Looks like ill save a little longer for the colt...
Thanks Guys!

You will love the M&P 15! I've never owned a Colt as a civilian, but the ones we had in the Corps were crap, haha. but they were really old and not treated well (and we had crappy old mags). So get the M&P and have no regrets man, it's a fine rifle.

mac66
11-30-2012, 09:29
I have Colts and I have an MP15 OR. Not really any difference from a practical or operational standpoint. You pay more for the Colt name. Personally I'd get the OR and use the money you saved toward a good optic.

Kinda funny but back in the day Colt vs. S&W (at least in handguns) was like Ford vs. Chevy or any other historic rivalry. Neither of those companies are what they were back then.

PEC-Memphis
11-30-2012, 11:42
I have a M&P 15OR with a Burris TAC-30. It shoots 3/4 MOA at 100 yards and has been completely reliable. I've been pleased with it. CDNN had them for $599 a while back.

mixflip
11-30-2012, 12:47
Is one leaps and bounds better in performance than the other? NO.

Buy the one you simply like better. You'd think since I own an LE6920 that I'd tell you to buy the Colt. Truth is, all yo need to do is buy the "features" you want/need. Roll marks dont mean much unless you ever plan to re-sell the gun.

NDLAWRENCE
11-30-2012, 17:18
Well, looked again today... Bought the m&p! Looking forward to shooting it tomorrow, will keep y'all posted!
Thanks

dvrdwn72
11-30-2012, 17:25
There are alot of ar's out there. Do alot of research and check out ar specific forums. Either the colt or m&p is good.

tampashooters
11-30-2012, 19:11
Colt is good, but overpriced. Sadly, there are alot of fanboys out there that think Colt is the end all... Well, they aren't and many lower priced options are just as good for civilian use.

But, but, but the Military uses Colt right? yeah...so, they got a great deal on them. Mil-Spec is....well Mil-spec... Which literally means the minimum standards the military will accept. Look around... and watch the advice from the "mine is the best" crew.

Heck, I bought a cheapo DPMS Oracle for well under $700 for the range, and it is flawless, and shoots just as well as my "better" one's and goes boom just like everyone else's at the range...

The S&W15 will serve you well and leave something left over for ammo.

ithaca_deerslayer
11-30-2012, 20:37
Well, looked again today... Bought the m&p! Looking forward to shooting it tomorrow, will keep y'all posted!
Thanks

Congrats!

eyelikeglasses
11-30-2012, 22:54
I bought a Rock River CAR-15 with Magpul buis for $900 from a LGS. It's performed very well.

ETA: Just saw you got the M & P. Congrats, you will not be disappointed. They are great rifles. Get lots of ammo and go shoot.

TangoFoxtrot
12-01-2012, 05:55
M&P's are and excellent choice..I actually prefer mine over my Colt for sure.

Bren
12-01-2012, 06:23
I'd go with the M&P 15A (which I did). Comes with iron sights, still works fine with optics, yes, you can see the front sight through the scope, just like a real M4. More of an advantage than a problem.

RRP
12-01-2012, 06:46
Thanks

Have a good time at the range. Come back and tell us how much fun you had.

NDLAWRENCE
12-02-2012, 12:41
Well, shot it yesterday evening. Zero malfunctions shot great!! Now just to get a good optic.

mvician
12-02-2012, 13:25
Well, shot it yesterday evening. Zero malfunctions shot great!! Now just to get a good optic.

What did you use for sights?
How many rounds did you shoot?

NDLAWRENCE
12-02-2012, 13:30
What did you use for sights?
How many rounds did you shoot?

Have a swift shotgun gun scope on it now. and only 200rds. Ill be changing the gas block to lo-pro and getting a riffle length handgaurd, and probably a burris fastfire(i think?) to go with my scope

NDLAWRENCE
12-02-2012, 13:32
Or maybe an aimpoint or eotech instead

WoodenPlank
12-02-2012, 13:43
Have a swift shotgun gun scope on it now. and only 200rds. Ill be changing the gas block to lo-pro and getting a riffle length handgaurd, and probably a burris fastfire(i think?) to go with my scope

Not sure if you realize how much is invovled in doing this. It's not terribly difficult, but you'll need some specialized tools (or a competent gunsmith) to do this. Plus, a rifle-length free float system isn't a quick (or cheap) drop-in item.

NDLAWRENCE
12-02-2012, 15:06
Not sure if you realize how much is invovled in doing this. It's not terribly difficult, but you'll need some specialized tools (or a competent gunsmith) to do this. Plus, a rifle-length free float system isn't a quick (or cheap) drop-in item.

From what I understand, buy some punches, front sight block, receiver block & barrel wrench. Buy the tube , a little finesse, some help from fellow GT'ers and BOOM riffle length free floating handguard. Please correct me if I'm wrong