Thoughts...H3 or Toyota Sequoia [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts...H3 or Toyota Sequoia

757CC
11-29-2012, 19:12
Background...I have a commuter car for getting to and from work that gets in the low 30's mpg. About a year ago I sold my explorer as it began to become a money pit. I'm active and spend a lot of time outdoors with my dogs, on the boat, jet skis, etc. I am in the market for a SUV...pretty much have it narrowed down to two vehicles that I have checked out and test drove.

1. 2006 Hummer H3 - 49,500 miles original owner. Leather heated seats, sunroof. $14,500 ish

2. 2004 Toyota Sequoia 101,000 miles. Original owner. I know the owner and he is meticulous with this maintenance. $10,500

Anyone...

Restless28
11-29-2012, 19:43
JMHO, but all civilian Hummers have the ghey.

Gregg702
11-29-2012, 19:54
Hummer doesn't exist as a company anymore, parts could become harder to find as time goes on. Toyota is known for quality, I would go with that between those two.

JMS
11-29-2012, 19:55
I'm partial to Toyota's as that is all we have bought (Toyota/Lexus) since 1984. Make sure the ball joint recall has been addressed on the Sequoia.

happy seal
11-29-2012, 19:55
Hummers are complete garbage. If you want to throw money at a POS and never be able to sell it later than go ahead and buy it.
Toyota will run nearly flawlessly if not perfect and resell for excellent value.
Your choice!

RenoF250
11-29-2012, 20:01
JMHO, but all civilian Hummers have the ghey.

I agree. Packed with the ghey.

JDennis
11-29-2012, 20:02
Even though I am a employee of nissan, go for the sequoia. A H3 is a gloried trailblazer with the same problems plus some. If going domestic you would be better off with a Tahoe or Expedition with less problems, better resale and similar price.

jpa
11-30-2012, 01:55
Even though I am a employee of nissan, go for the sequoia. A H3 is a gloried trailblazer with the same problems plus some. If going domestic you would be better off with a Tahoe or Expedition with less problems, better resale and similar price.

This. The H3 is identical to the Trailblazer structurally and mechanically. It just has a boxy body, which parts for it are going to get very scarce. Someone on here posted a thread about problems finding parts for his Saturn Sky or Pontiac Solstice. Stay away from the discontinued models/brands.

Irregardless, I'd take a Toyota over a GM product any day, regardless of mileage. They are irresputibly the superior brand. I expect an influcks of comments expressing agreeance.

NeverMore1701
11-30-2012, 02:14
I'd look for a 4Runner.

skeeter7
11-30-2012, 02:15
This. The H3 is identical to the Trailblazer structurally and mechanically. It just has a boxy body, which parts for it are going to get very scarce.

The H3 is actually built on the Colorado/Canyon platform, not the Tailblazer, not that it's any better. I'm a big GM fan and own two Chevrolet's but I would still pick the Sequoia over the H3 in this situation.

nursetim
11-30-2012, 02:38
I vote for the sequoia.

Resqu2
11-30-2012, 02:45
Toyota, the 4Runner was a good suggestion someone had unless you just need more towing ability.

Viper16
11-30-2012, 06:42
Sequoia is the way to go. Solid Performer in my opinion.

clancy
11-30-2012, 07:24
As someone else posted, the H3 is built of the Colorado platform. While working at a Chevy dealership I seriously considered buying a Colorado. After speaking with several GM certified mechanics about the many and varied issues with the Colorado's design, I decided not to. They have an even lower opionion of the Hummer. Even the salesmen I spoke to think the Colorado and H3 are crap.

When a car salesman says he feels guilty when he sells an H3 to a customer, that says a lot about the piss poor quality of the vehicle. There is a reason they are no longer made.

Dan_ntx
11-30-2012, 07:29
This. The H3 is identical to the Trailblazer structurally and mechanically. It just has a boxy body, which parts for it are going to get very scarce. Someone on here posted a thread about problems finding parts for his Saturn Sky or Pontiac Solstice. Stay away from the discontinued models/brands.

Irregardless, I'd take a Toyota over a GM product any day, regardless of mileage. They are irresputibly the superior brand. I expect an influcks of comments expressing agreeance.

Toyota for the win...but to be accurate, the H3 has the same inline 5 cyl (3.7) that the Colorado/Canyon platform has as already mentioned. The Trailblazer/Envoy have the 4.2 inline 6 cyl that is actually a solid motor except for a notiorious fan clutch issue that plagued the trailblazer for years.

The H3 is pretty capable off road, but you need to be 5'6" and have a co-pilot to see behind you. Terrible visibility.
The sequoia probably has the 4.7v8 and is essentially a Tahoe with a little more storage. Solid truck, mediocre mileage.

I would buy the Sequoia for many reasons...comfort, quality, reliability, parts availability (mentioned)...but knowing the maintenance has been done should make this decision a no brainier.

meathead19
11-30-2012, 07:51
If he hasn't replaced the timining belt/water pump on the Sequoia, it's time or getting real close.

Looking at a grand or so.

glockaddiction
11-30-2012, 08:13
Toyota and never look back. In the family we have a 1996 corolla with 268,000 miles. Oil change every 3,000 only things replaced have been brakes, tires, tire rods and valve cover gasket. A 1998 sienna with 181,000 that is supercharged and a 75hp shot of nos. The oil changed every 3,000 on it too. Only things changed on it is tires, brakes, spark plugs, and timing belt. It runs as smooth as the day it was bought but faster. Had a 1986 van that we sold in 2002 that had 534,000 on it with original motor and trans.

Viper16
11-30-2012, 08:25
If he hasn't replaced the timining belt/water pump on the Sequoia, it's time or getting real close.

Looking at a grand or so.

I can not believe they used a belt for so long. I would have assumed it was a chain. Wow! Looks like they switched to chain in 2010-Current.

this reminds me that I need my car's belt/water pump changed out...sigh!

Viper:wavey:

meathead19
11-30-2012, 08:32
I can not believe they used a belt for so long. I would have assumed it was a chain. Wow! Looks like they switched to chain in 2010-Current.

Yep....and when they snap/break in these, it ain't good.

gatorboy
11-30-2012, 08:38
You've got three main options for a true BOF (body on frame) SUV. The Nissan Xterra, Toyota FJ and the various Jeep Wrangler models. If you wanted a Jeep, you would have said so. Wrangler's are bumpy, loud and until very recently - underpowered. I'd look at the Xterra. If you want more luxury than it offers, realize most SUV's are not what they used to be and are unibody construction for more room inside and much less clearance underneath. Also, stay away from AWD. Get a true 4WD in case you want to actually go somewhere a 4WD is needed or if you want to lift it for larger tires, etc. AWD are for going to the mall where it's cold enough for snow and ice.

gatorboy
11-30-2012, 08:47
Toyota and never look back. In the family we have a 1996 corolla with 268,000 miles. Oil change every 3,000 only things replaced have been brakes, tires, tire rods and valve cover gasket. A 1998 sienna with 181,000 that is supercharged and a 75hp shot of nos. The oil changed every 3,000 on it too. Only things changed on it is tires, brakes, spark plugs, and timing belt. It runs as smooth as the day it was bought but faster. Had a 1986 van that we sold in 2002 that had 534,000 on it with original motor and trans.

Impressive. Toyota's are great vehicles but don't make anything I'd be interested in at the moment. The FJ is solid but had major rust issues, they're hard to see out of and look a bit ghey, IMO of course.

Unk
11-30-2012, 08:47
May want to take a hard look at actual Sequoia mpg...know you're probably young man with dogs, boat and jet ski but when I was looking for a vehicle for my daughter was very impressed with a Sequoia until I checked actual mpg.

She is driving a late model Taurus and happy with it - performance, service and mpg.

We currently either own or have owned Toyota and Nissan and very satisfied with both.

MPG

Best.

Wake_jumper
11-30-2012, 09:05
Sequoia all the way. Why?

Because the Sequoia:
Is very comfortable
Has much more interior space (seating for 8)
Is less expensive than that H3
Has better visability, so it would be easier to drive
Has a drivetrain that is bulletproof
Is more powerful (unless H3 is the Alpaha version)

H3 offers marginally better off road capability unless the Sequoia is 2WD, then it would obviously be much better in the dirt.

Disclaimer: I have never owned or driven an H3 but drove an H2 once. I have owned a Sequoia for the last 11 years and wouldn't trade it for anything except another Sequoia (pre 2008).

Wake_jumper
11-30-2012, 09:15

I would rather have a belt. A belt is relatively simple to replace and the cost is 1/4 what a chain replacement would be. A belt is a lot quieter than a chain too.

Chains and their supporting parts wear out too. They may last longer than a belt, but a chain typically won't last as long as the rest of the engine.

RenoF250
11-30-2012, 09:28
Gears FTW.

I have two vehicles with chains and neither make and chain noise I can hear.

Varies with vehicle but I doubt the chain replacement is much more. The only real difference in the job is the price of the chain and that the bottom is sealed rather than just a cover. Work to get to it is about the same all else being equal and at least you do not have to worry about age with a chain.

Both of my vehicles say the chain is lifetime but I kind of doubt they will actually go over 200k.

Steve0853
11-30-2012, 09:31
Sounds like most are recommending the Sequoia. There's a reason.

I haven't owned a Sequoia, but me and my immediate family have owned several Toyotas and Honda with outstanding results. I got burned by GM and Chrysler many years ago and I don't believe that they are significantly better today than back then.

I'm old enough to have had long experience with several vehicles and Honda and Toyota are the best vehicles for the money out there.

If both vehicles were the same price, I would choose the Sequoia with 100K miles over a brand new GM product. In my experience, a well cared for Toyota, even with 100,000 miles will still outlast 2 brand new GM vehicles.

PrecisionRifleman
11-30-2012, 09:41
Neither. If I had a cheap daily driver I personally wouldn't be looking to add a vehicle with 100k+ miles. Of the two the Toyota gets the nod since its MUCH more likely to not have many or any problems at that point in its life cycle.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

meathead19
11-30-2012, 09:45
May want to really think about gas consumption on both these.

But, it may be a non issue for you.....it is for me. And I don't see it getting cheaper anytime soon.

JMS
11-30-2012, 10:00
Yep....and when they snap/break in these, it ain't good.

Most Toyota engines pre VVTI were non interference engines.

meathead19
11-30-2012, 10:07
Most Toyota engines pre VVTI were non interference engines.

Huh, Guess the toy service guy didn't know his engines.

JMS
11-30-2012, 11:04
Huh, Guess the toy service guy didn't know his engines.

It looks like in the case of the 4.7 in his, although it's pre VVT-I and is a belt, it is still an interference engine so the OP should definitely look to see when it was done. I probably wouldn't push the OEM belt past 90k.

mixflip
11-30-2012, 11:35
From all the reviews I have seen...I would invest money in wither of those two you want. Further more, my sister has a Sequoia and she hates the gas mileage. It gets worse gas mileage than her husbands Dodge Ram diesel and is less powerful.

I like the looks of the H3 but now that Hummer is gone I would be weary of buying into a company that no longer exists even if its shares parts with a Chevy truck.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/mixflip/2009-Hummer-H3-Moab-Front-Side-View.jpg

I really do like the looks though!

I love the reliability and parts availability of Toyotas. I would love an FJ if it had a solid axle.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/mixflip/3537866975_0bc6ab94bb_o.jpg

sputnik767
11-30-2012, 11:43
It looks like in the case of the 4.7 in his, although it's pre VVT-I and is a belt, it is still an interference engine so the OP should definitely look to see when it was done. I probably wouldn't push the OEM belt past 90k.

I have 100k miles on the original Toyota accessory belts, and they show no signs of damage. Obviously the timing belt does need to be replaced eventually, but I wouldn't about it up to the scheduled replacement interval. Some cars are 60k, some 90k, some go as far as 120k.

JMS
11-30-2012, 11:58
I have 100k miles on the original Toyota accessory belts, and they show no signs of damage. Obviously the timing belt does need to be replaced eventually, but I wouldn't about it up to the scheduled replacement interval. Some cars are 60k, some 90k, some go as far as 120k.

The problem is if your serpentine belt breaks you'd be ok, if your timing belt breaks in an interference engine you might be looking at some engine damage.

Viper16
11-30-2012, 12:38
The problem is if your serpentine belt breaks you'd be ok, if your timing belt breaks in an interference engine you might be looking at some engine damage.

<-- Not a mechanic, but even if the timing belt happened to become stretched over time, and slips, causing the timing to change, could result in damage to the engine. That correct?

JMS
11-30-2012, 12:41
http://www.freeasestudyguides.com/interference-engine.html

banjobob
12-01-2012, 06:29
I will not offer a vote, but I do own a 2004 and have since it was new. I could not imagine how a vehicle could be any less trouble the only replacedart has been the motor for the rear window. Other than that it has only been maintenance for 100k, fluids, timing chain etc.

Restless28
12-01-2012, 06:56
Why not just buy a Tahoe or Yukon? The used ones like mine with a 5.3 are cheap and easy to repair.

DanaT
12-01-2012, 07:36

Oh not you didnt. :rofl::rofl:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irregardless

sputnik767
12-01-2012, 23:07

This much I understand. What I am saying is that it's ok to go up to the manufacturer-stated time and mileage interval, whichever comes first. I would not exceed the interval due to the risk of engine damage as you stated, but I would not try to do it too far in advance either.

jpa
12-03-2012, 18:33
Oh not you didnt. :rofl::rofl:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irregardless

Hellz yeah I did. It would have been inconscionable not to. :wavey:

Averageman
12-03-2012, 18:58
As someone else posted, the H3 is built of the Colorado platform. While working at a Chevy dealership I seriously considered buying a Colorado. After speaking with several GM certified mechanics about the many and varied issues with the Colorado's design, I decided not to. They have an even lower opionion of the Hummer. Even the salesmen I spoke to think the Colorado and H3 are crap.

When a car salesman says he feels guilty when he sells an H3 to a customer, that says a lot about the piss poor quality of the vehicle. There is a reason they are no longer made.
Thats funny I have a Colorado with 165 K, 0 issues and gets 22 MPG as a daily commuter.

sputnik767
12-03-2012, 19:49
Thats funny I have a Colorado with 165 K, 0 issues and gets 22 MPG as a daily commuter.

The question at hand is not the experience of one person, but rather the average experience of many people with the same car or truck.

oldsoldier
12-04-2012, 04:50
I would consider looking around for a good used Toyota FJ Cruiser or a 4 Runner. I had a FJ and now have a 4 Runner. Both are on the same box steel frame and share the same suspension. Either can be found in different models with factory modifications to the suspension and drive such as a locking rear axle. I liked the FJ but I'm tall and it was to hard to see out of. Ihated being first at a red light because I had to cock my head o the side to see the light or slide down real low in the seat.

Kevin108
12-04-2012, 05:47
How about neither? Both of the options you presented are very expensive and essentially old vehicles. While they may look to be in great shape, time still takes its toll on such things.

Expect electronics malfunctions at a minimum. The mechanical issues are right around the corner. They'll probably start off as ball joints, steering components and u-joints.

In just a few months we'll start seeing 2014s, making that Toyota 10 years old, not to mention it having over 100,000 miles. I'm sure there's lots of life left in both vehicles but the prices on each are about double what I would pay for them.

Are you paying cash or financing? Are you able to repair these vehicles yourself? If financing, you need to consider how old the vehicle will be not only when you buy it but also when you pay it off. Having a car payment along with having to shell out for parts and labor is a real budget-buster.