Where should I move? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Where should I move?

musclegto
11-29-2012, 23:03
Well, I was born and raised in Chicago. I love this city, it really has it's charm, but I feel like it's time for me to go. The gun laws suck, high crime, high taxes and its freezing half the year. Everything from the red light cameras to mobs of parking violation "officers" handing out $60 tickets like its candy really make me question my freedoms. Might sounds cheesy, but I imagine waking up to beautiful plains or mountains with temperate weather. A state where I can have fun with my guns and cars without having to worry so much about "the law." Im a friendly, easy going guy who minds his own business and would like to live by like minded people, although a large city nearby would not hurt. I am 25 years old and plan on saving my money to take off sometime in the next year or two. I will be taking road trip next summer to check some places out west. Colorado sounds like a good place to start. Any advice would be great, thanks fellas.

4TS&W
11-29-2012, 23:22
Salt Lake City, Oklahoma City, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio are all good picks for my money. I'd be in one of these in a heartbeat if my ex would hurry up and get hit by a bus so I can get my kids. ;)

rilkil23
11-29-2012, 23:23
Colorado Springs puts you 45 minutes from Denver. Check it out.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

skeeter7
11-29-2012, 23:27
I don't know where you should go but I can tell you this....don't come to Rhode Island. I can't wait to get out of here myself. Good luck with your move my friend.

Slug71
11-29-2012, 23:50
Virginia?

Im moving there early next year.

robin303
11-29-2012, 23:52
Texas. Did you say what kind of work you do.

jp3975
11-29-2012, 23:59
Dallas, Austin, San Antonio are all good picks for my money. I'd be in one of these in a heartbeat if my ex would hurry up and get hit by a bus so I can get my kids. ;)

TX has pretty high property taxes but i love all of these towns.

cowboywannabe
11-30-2012, 00:07
depends on your means. if money is not an issue you can move to any of the free states, otherwise youre bound by your marketablity.

4TS&W
11-30-2012, 00:20
I forgot Tulsa too.. some beautiful stuff up that way.

RGbiker
11-30-2012, 00:29
Consider moving to Arizona. Constitutional carry and did I mention we like all makes guns and ammo?

Goldendog Redux
11-30-2012, 00:39
Reno/Northern Nevada along the CA border. I would caution you if you end up in a small (ish) town. If you are used to the city, a small town might drive you nuts especially if you are young and looking for anything even remotely stimulating to your senses

musclegto
11-30-2012, 00:50
Colorado springs has been on my check out list for a while now, will definitely be a stop on my road-trip. I have heard the crowd at Austin Texas is young, but I don't know how well I will handle the Texas summers, which is why I was shooting for a little farther north. I would consider California but it's even worse than Illinois in terms of personal freedoms. Arizona and Oklahoma are also on the list.

Cochese
11-30-2012, 01:02
There are better places than the Springs. The Denver metro area has lots of good suburbs.

Chicago money would go a long way here. Roads aren't terrible. The cops will give you a pass on most car stuff unless you drive like a total jerk off.

The springs has the highest crime in the area. I would take a pass.

musclegto
11-30-2012, 01:16
There are better places than the Springs. The Denver metro area has lots of good suburbs.

Chicago money would go a long way here. Roads aren't terrible. The cops will give you a pass on most car stuff unless you drive like a total jerk off.

The springs has the highest crime in the area. I would take a pass.

I have an 04 GTO with 420 to the wheels that I granny throttle most of the time because the cops around here won't let one slip by.

Having lived in the "hood" neighborhoods of Chicago all of my life, crime rate is probably the least of my worries. But I will for sure be checking out the surrounding areas near the springs.

Cochese
11-30-2012, 01:22
I have an 04 GTO with 420 to the wheels that I granny throttle most of the time because the cops around here won't let one slip by.

Having lived in the "hood" neighborhoods of Chicago all of my life, crime rate is probably the least of my worries. But I will for sure be checking out the surrounding areas near the springs.

I had an 08 LS2 TBSS followed by a 400 AWHP Audi wagon and now a 450 HP TTV8 Audi and I drive enthusiastically. I'm also a patrol officer in the metro area. Unless you are unsafe or reckless, most spirited driving is forgiven around here.

The crime in this area is different than Chicago. In some ways it is worse because of the type of bad guy versus Chicago. There are some real weirdos here. I grew up in a ****sville area of Los Angeles and worked as a cop in bad parts of DFW and the Denver area and Colorado Springs makes me bring spare mags. :supergrin:

TK-421
11-30-2012, 01:25
I've heard good things about northern Arizona. Texas summers suck balls big time, and yes, Austin is a young town, and very liberal leaning. I don't think you'd like living here, unless you like living in a semi-college town. But if you like bars and live music, supposedly 6th street is the place to be.

I plan on leaving Texas as soon as I can. The summers suck, don't like the fact that we can't open carry and can't carry on schools, which sucks when I'm going to college, there's no snow, people complain it's cold when it's like 60 degrees out, there's no snow. The nice thing is that cars don't have much rust here, thanks to no snow, makes them easier to work on, but I do like my snow, and my cold.

I want somewhere in between texas and illinois. I don't want 110+ degree days during summer, and I don't want the inside of my windshield to have frost in the winter. And I want very lax gun laws, somewhat low cost of living, and low unemployment. I figure either the southern to mid portion of the east coast, not up north, or the somewhere in the south to middle of the west, but not the west coast.

glock1911revolver
11-30-2012, 01:41
Okay, tastless and way too soon, but how about Little Falls, Minnesota? There is a house that is now vacant and only needs a window repaired and some blood cleaned from the basement floor. The local crime element just got eliminated.

XDfense
11-30-2012, 08:01
I'm gonna vote Chattanooga. No sales tax in TN and extremely gun friendly. In the mountains with lots of water and more outdoor activities than you can imagine. Two hours away from Nashville. Two hours away from Atlanta. Great downtown. Has a liberal feel (it's a college town) with conservative values. People in the south are uber friendly.

We moved from Chicago to Atlanta 7 years ago for a job promotion. We haven't looked back and visit Chattanooga regularly. If my boss would let me live there, I would in a heartbeat.

mac66
11-30-2012, 08:10
Take a look at Boise, Idaho. Hasn't been taken over yet by a-holes liberals from California like Denver or Boulder Colorado has.

And yeah, Chattanooga is a pretty nice area as well.

GLWyandotte
11-30-2012, 08:23
An hour north of Phoenix.

okie
11-30-2012, 08:24
Come check out Tulsa and Oklahoma City my friend:thumbsup:

Unk
11-30-2012, 08:34
We enjoy FL HOWEVER our State pays off in Sunshine, not high wages. Being a migration state [more folks moving in and being born than leaving or dying] the labor pool tends to be miles wide but not that deep. Also the usual demand pressures on social services and schools exist.

You'll find good folks where ever you go..might be spread out a little though. We previously lived in OH, MO and TN and all good however we're always been semi-rural with 10 acres or so. Big cities are fine as long as you don't have to live/work there.

Lot of options if you are highly employable at significantly better than prevailing wages.

My youngest brother has been trying to leave your area [Schamburg] for TX..been at it >3 years - real estate market has NOT been his friend but there are boots and a 10 gallon hat in his future.

Best.

Wake_jumper
11-30-2012, 08:48
I have a friend that is escaping Chicago and moving to St. Louis. Housing is much less there and firearm regulations are resonable.

ColdSteelNail
11-30-2012, 09:29
I've been to Chicago many times. I can certainly see why you would want to leave. Anywhere you choose to go will be a vast improvement.

Sgt127
11-30-2012, 10:22
Texas was perfect before they invented air conditioning. Now, anyone can live here.

All kidding aside, the summers can be brutal here. Having worked 28 summers now wearing navy blue polyester and body armor, I really don't know how I survived. Many a day I have gone home and every ounce of cologne and deoderant was soaked into my socks.

Then there are the chiggars. Snakes. Fire ants...

But, in a few hours you can be at an ocean. A few more hours, mountains. A few hours, in the hill country.

Good luck with your search.

vart
11-30-2012, 11:35
An hour north of Phoenix.
That's where I live, and being from Chicago, you'd find it about as close to heaven as possible...

Prescott Valley or Prescott is at about 5500' so it tops out at about 98 in the summer with no humidity but does get cold overnight in the winter.

Last night it got to about 35 degrees but it warms up to the mid-60's during the day.

It will snow, but it's gone in a couple of hours in PV, will stick around a couple of days in Prescott, which is higher elevation.

Lots of muscle-cars and car shows out here. Crime is low compared to Chicago, but higher than what I'm used to being from Idaho.

http://www.menupix.com/town_img/PrescottAZHP.jpg

6forsure
11-30-2012, 11:58
But you can't beat a state with lots of Public Land for hunting, fishing, 4 wheeling, exploring, camping, recreational shooting, etc.

musclegto
11-30-2012, 14:02
thanks for the advice fellas, I will be doing some exploring this summer.

Jack23
11-30-2012, 23:20
Come to Texas. Doesn't matter what you are looking for we have it. Coastal areas, Mountains, Piney woods, desert. Quiet country town, Bustling big city, ParyTime college town midsize industrial towns. Just decide what kind of place you want to live in and pick a spot. We got it all!

janice6
11-30-2012, 23:31
We find that in Minnesota the very cold weather in the Winter limits the kind of pests that can tolerate the climate. Some problem with liberals though.

Rattlesnakes only reach up to Red Wing, Minnesota. Too cold 50 miles further North. Other types of pests don't like the fact the you have to work to survive here (for the most part).

Termites don't like it either.

devildog2067
11-30-2012, 23:40

Move a couple of miles and you won't have to worry much about crime. Pretty much anything north and east of 90 is just fine, and that covers a lot of neighborhoods.

Trapped_in_Kali
12-01-2012, 00:00
If you want to feel at home come to SoCal, The same but nice weather.:upeyes:

musclegto
12-01-2012, 02:09
this is an approximation of the trip I will be taking this summer. Should be fun.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Chicago,+IL&daddr=Omaha,+NE+to:Yellowstone+National+Park,+WY+to:Denver,+CO+to:Colorado+Springs,+CO+to:Albuquerqu e,+NM+to:Oklahoma+City,+OK+to:Chicago,+IL&hl=en&sll=39.75788,-99.162598&sspn=13.806822,31.398926&geocode=FWICfwIdGuDG-inty_TQPCwOiDEAwMAJrabgrw%3BFQt2dQId3C9H-int_Ay1yI2ThzEEtjeuT01CRg%3BFa7VpQIdsZRo-SG74Y80MPmorClVVVVVVeVRUzG74Y80MPmorA%3BFd9YXgIdcg---SnPFx8jqoBrhzHWNoon-PSOEQ%3BFdqOUAIdjY3A-Skr0uahLkEThzETa-j1kuuOQQ%3BFctYFwId_6Gk-Sl7gwnT3QoihzH99tm4zvjTwA%3BFSgxHQIddAQw-imB0vh-VIqthzGdOk_RdBKiMw%3BFWICfwIdGuDG-inty_TQPCwOiDEAwMAJrabgrw&oq=chicago&gl=us&mra=ls&t=m&z=6

musclegto
12-01-2012, 02:21
Move a couple of miles and you won't have to worry much about crime. Pretty much anything north and east of 90 is just fine, and that covers a lot of neighborhoods.

Im not worried about crime, I would just rather not have as much of it. I would never move to the burbs, if im staying in Illinois it would be in Chicago.

Hicksville Kid
12-01-2012, 03:41
this is an approximation of the trip I will be taking this summer. Should be fun.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Chicago,+IL&daddr=Omaha,+NE+to:Yellowstone+National+Park,+WY+to:Denver,+CO+to:Colorado+Springs,+CO+to:Albuquerqu e,+NM+to:Oklahoma+City,+OK+to:Chicago,+IL&hl=en&sll=39.75788,-99.162598&sspn=13.806822,31.398926&geocode=FWICfwIdGuDG-inty_TQPCwOiDEAwMAJrabgrw%3BFQt2dQId3C9H-int_Ay1yI2ThzEEtjeuT01CRg%3BFa7VpQIdsZRo-SG74Y80MPmorClVVVVVVeVRUzG74Y80MPmorA%3BFd9YXgIdcg---SnPFx8jqoBrhzHWNoon-PSOEQ%3BFdqOUAIdjY3A-Skr0uahLkEThzETa-j1kuuOQQ%3BFctYFwId_6Gk-Sl7gwnT3QoihzH99tm4zvjTwA%3BFSgxHQIddAQw-imB0vh-VIqthzGdOk_RdBKiMw%3BFWICfwIdGuDG-inty_TQPCwOiDEAwMAJrabgrw&oq=chicago&gl=us&mra=ls&t=m&z=6

Might I suggest a more northernly route out of Chicago... If you go through WI and southern MN (boring) travel the length of SD. About half way you get the Badlands then Mt Rushmore, Wind Cave and the Black Hills to name a few. Out then to WY and Devils Tower, a little north to MT and the Custer Battlefield. You then enter Yellowstone through the northeast entrance through Red Lodge and the Bear Tooth Pass (11,000 feet).

Depending on your time, I can guarantee that you will see more beautiful scenery going that way. Not that NB and IA don't have beautiful places, they do. Just my humble opinion. Have fun.

eracer
12-01-2012, 04:40
Chattanooga, TN. Great town in a great location. Moving past its somewhat hayseed past and becoming a mature town that values beautification.

XDfense is incorrect about Sales Tax. In fact Tennessee has a pretty cumbersome Sales Tax structure (up to 9% in some towns.)

They do not, however, have a tax on personal income. They do tax interest and dividends.

marksj64
12-01-2012, 05:06
I grew up in Chicago and visit as much as possible. All cities are the same and I love them all. However, you bring up good points which is why I live in central Virginia. The laws are easy to live with, taxes not bad and very liberal with the carry laws. Enjoying life here and would not move other than in state.

BicycleDay43
12-01-2012, 05:37
Well, I was born and raised in Chicago. I love this city, it really has it's charm, but I feel like it's time for me to go. The gun laws suck, high crime, high taxes and its freezing half the year. Everything from the red light cameras to mobs of parking violation "officers" handing out $60 tickets like its candy really make me question my freedoms. Might sounds cheesy, but I imagine waking up to beautiful plains or mountains with temperate weather. A state where I can have fun with my guns and cars without having to worry so much about "the law." Im a friendly, easy going guy who minds his own business and would like to live by like minded people, although a large city nearby would not hurt. I am 25 years old and plan on saving my money to take off sometime in the next year or two. I will be taking road trip next summer to check some places out west. Colorado sounds like a good place to start. Any advice would be great, thanks fellas.

I too was born and raised in Chicago, (Evanston to be precise). My parents moved to Albuquerque when I was 13 and I wasnt too much of a fan till I left it for the Army for a while. Its an outstanding place for shooting. Drive 20 minutes any direction away from the city and there's empty desert to go shooting in unbothered.

Sent from the bridge of an Imperial Star Destroyer

musclegto
12-01-2012, 09:40
Might I suggest a more northernly route out of Chicago... If you go through WI and southern MN (boring) travel the length of SD. About half way you get the Badlands then Mt Rushmore, Wind Cave and the Black Hills to name a few. Out then to WY and Devils Tower, a little north to MT and the Custer Battlefield. You then enter Yellowstone through the northeast entrance through Red Lodge and the Bear Tooth Pass (11,000 feet).

Depending on your time, I can guarantee that you will see more beautiful scenery going that way. Not that NB and IA don't have beautiful places, they do. Just my humble opinion. Have fun.

I like that idea, hitting up the northern states before going down to yellowstone. Will most likely be making adjustments from here to the summer. Thanks!

devildog2067
12-01-2012, 10:20
Im not worried about crime, I would just rather not have as much of it. I would never move to the burbs, if im staying in Illinois it would be in Chicago.

Old Town, Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, Bucktown, Lakeview... all in Chicago, and all low-crime neighborhoods.

Naelbis
12-01-2012, 11:17
FYI, ND is closed. Too many transplants here already...

NH Trucker
12-01-2012, 12:35
If you can deal with winter, New Hampshire isn't bad. The property taxes can be a little high depending on the town you live in, but you can own ANY firearm you want without capacity restrictions, Class III friendly, residents pay $10 for a LTC which is only required to carry a loaded pistol concealed or in your vehicle (no LTC required for open carry), our LTC has a decent number of reciprocity states, Castle doctrine and Stand Your Ground laws, NO sales tax, NO state income tax, mountains and beaches are an easy drive from most places in the state. If you're an outdoor enthusiast you'll have no problems finding plenty to do from skiing, hiking, boating, fishing, and hunting within the tri-state area of northern New England (Maine, NH, Vermont). Maine requires their own LTC, but it isn't difficult to get, and Vermont has Constitutional carry.

The only down side is it's too close to Massachusetts.

As others have said, Colorado and Arizona are also good states to look at also. Colorado, depending on what part of the state, will be more comfortable in the summer than most parts of Arizona. But in almost any area of the country, you're going to have weather related issues. The question with that becomes, are you more able to deal with heat or cold?

fx77
12-01-2012, 12:42
TX, WY and no state income tax too!

Slug71
12-01-2012, 12:44
Somebody I used to work with recommended Chattanooga, TN to us too.

4TS&W
12-22-2012, 07:23
Old Town, Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, Bucktown, Lakeview... all in Chicago, and all low-crime neighborhoods.

Until the ebt cards stop working. Then the proletariat is going straight to the nearest bourgeoise center for compensation.