Insomniacs join in! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Insomniacs join in!

Batesmotel
11-30-2012, 03:31
3 days, no sleep. I take no responsibility for anything I may post in the near future.:tongueout:

jhoagland
11-30-2012, 03:34
Don't worry, it is nothing to lose sleep over.

NeverMore1701
11-30-2012, 03:34
Sup Holmes?

JBnTX
11-30-2012, 03:38
You're getting sleepy, very sleepy.
Now when I snap my fingers...

Batesmotel
11-30-2012, 03:42
Sup Holmes?

Just can't sleep. I go through these cycles a few times a year. Usually in late spring or the heat of summer. It has been a warm fall. Maybe that has triggered it. I tend to tackle a bunch of projects at night and eventually burn out and crash. Then I am fine for months. My oldest son is the same way.

After a couple of nights I get real slap happy. Right now everything is funny. My beagle is on the couch snoring and I couldn't stop laughing.

NeverMore1701
11-30-2012, 03:45
Just can't sleep. I go through these cycles a few times a year. Usually in late spring or the heat of summer. It has been a warm fall. Maybe that has triggered it. I tend to tackle a bunch of projects at night and eventually burn out and crash. Then I am fine for months. My oldest son is the same way.

After a couple of nights I get real slap happy. Right now everything is funny. My beagle is on the couch snoring and I couldn't stop laughing.

Same, though this bout has lasted longer than most.

Batesmotel
11-30-2012, 03:57
Hate that. It messes with the job.

My son is away doing some training right now. Classes all day and last week he was up all night. Sucks. I need to be up in an hour and 45 minutes to take my youngest son to school so why even try to sleep now. Luckily I have no meetings tomorrow.

Lone_Wolfe
11-30-2012, 04:01
3 days, no sleep. I take no responsibility for anything I may post in the near future.:tongueout:

I'm insomniac and stoned on pain meds. Post away! :rofl:

sawgrass
11-30-2012, 04:08
I'm tired of it.:yawn:
Need to be on the road by six today woke up at 3:40
Seems easier to just get up and not feel groggy.
I hope my all day meeting isn't boring.

BicycleDay43
11-30-2012, 04:33
Winter is kind of a dark time for me in general. It's when my insomnia gets real bad and like you, I also slowly start to go insane. Summer time comes and wipes it all away though so I end up getting some great sleep. :wavey:

Sent from the bridge of an Imperial Star Destroyer

BicycleDay43
11-30-2012, 04:35
@ sawgrass

I definitely know what its like working 40+ hours without any sleep, brother. Hope you make it through the day. :wavey:

RayB
11-30-2012, 04:43
Ah, a kindred soul... :wavey:

I live with chronic-acute pain; it's a fact of life for me. So, I typically sleep no more than 3-hours at a stretch, and just as often, only 90-minutes at a time. :sadangel:

I meter my medications carefully, as I already have a nasty habit of waking up during surgical procedures... :shocked:

My library—both video and print—is extensive! When the pain’s bad, I can't hold still to read and retain anything, so I resort to loud movies, for which I wear cordless headphones in the off hours. When it really ramps up, I may stop by the GNG Lounge to smack a Liberal around! :supergrin:

--Ray

RayB
11-30-2012, 04:48
Winter is kind of a dark time for me in general. It's when my insomnia gets real bad and like you, I also slowly start to go insane. Summer time comes and wipes it all away though so I end up getting some great sleep. :wavey:

You might seriously consider photo-therapy. :suntan:

Also, if your habits in the summer months involve more activities, you might look into a winter sport you can conveniently enjoy! :duel:

Unless, of course, you're just nuts! :therapy:

:supergrin:

--Ray

BicycleDay43
11-30-2012, 05:16
You might seriously consider photo-therapy. :suntan:

Also, if your habits in the summer months involve more activities, you might look into a winter sport you can conveniently enjoy! :duel:

Unless, of course, you're just nuts! :therapy:

:supergrin:

--Ray

Haha, I think I'm just a bit living in an opposite reality, which is my mind. My parents want to pay for me to go to light/sound therapy, but I have yet to lose the pride to accept the offer, like a sane person would do; Even while being broke as a child. :wavey:

Batesmotel
11-30-2012, 14:08
Haha, I think I'm just a bit living in an opposite reality, which is my mind. My parents want to pay for me to go to light/sound therapy, but I have yet to lose the pride to accept the offer, like a sane person would do; Even while being broke as a child. :wavey:

I was told to do the same thing for SADs )Seasonal Affective Disorder). I researched it and instead of paying for it I do two things in the winter.

#1 Force myself into as much sun as possible.
#2 Installed high frequency, full spectrum bulbs in my office, lots of them.

It did wonders.

Berto
11-30-2012, 14:10
Where the hell am I?

singularity35
11-30-2012, 14:15
I do find that my insomnia bothers me only when I can't sleep...

BicycleDay43
12-01-2012, 03:09
I was told to do the same thing for SADs )Seasonal Affective Disorder). I researched it and instead of paying for it I do two things in the winter.

#1 Force myself into as much sun as possible.
#2 Installed high frequency, full spectrum bulbs in my office, lots of them.

It did wonders.

Ill have to try it out. What do the bulbs do?

m2hmghb
12-01-2012, 03:22
I'm going to guess the full spectrum bulbs immitate sunlight better then standard bulbs do

Batesmotel
12-01-2012, 07:38
I'm going to guess the full spectrum bulbs immitate sunlight better then standard bulbs do

This. Look up Ott Light. He did some of the original research on light therapy. You don't need to buy his brand but you will get the idea.

Basically some of us that have ancestry going back to northern climates go into a sort of hibernation in the dead of winter. It can be triggered by the lack of light and even the low angle of the sun. This is how our ancestors handled the long winters stuck inside just waiting it out.

In our modern world where we can't just sleep all winter this tendency manifests like a mild depression or "winter blues". Getting lots of sunlight (real or artificial) and forcing yourself to be active helps.

Five years ago on Christmas night I had a bad fall down the stairs. I was confined to bed for four months and the couch for two more. During January February and March I just slept. Essentially hibernated. In a strange way it felt "right". Just as the spring equinox hit I wanted out of bed. I think it was a combination of the angle and intensity of the sunlight.

Paul53
12-02-2012, 01:11
Bicycleday, I came to the The Land of Enchantment for the sun. New England winters are just so dark.

I used to use full spectrum light therapy. Had it on top of my computer monitor. 20 mins in the AM and I was fine all day. More than 20 mins and I got cranky.

Phototherapy has progressed a lot. NASA was able to narrow down the spectrum needed to just blue. Now that I'm in El Peso I can get enough sun. Have heard good things about some of the blue led light units. Search the web. They really do work.

NeverMore1701
12-02-2012, 01:27
Still here.

Lone_Wolfe
12-02-2012, 01:34
Me too.

Magnus2131
12-02-2012, 01:39
I'm insomniac and stoned on pain meds. Post away! :rofl:
Must be nice to be able to get stoned off YOUR meds.:whistling:

Lone_Wolfe
12-02-2012, 01:42
Must be nice to be able to get stoned off YOUR meds.:whistling:

Would you rather we get stoned off YOUR meds?

:hugs: :hearts:

m2hmghb
12-02-2012, 01:57
Mornin all. I get to take my flexeril shortly, yay.

Lone_Wolfe
12-02-2012, 01:59
I already took mine. Again.