Malfunction Drills [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Malfunction Drills

drummerguy73
11-30-2012, 06:15
I'm just curious if you competition shooters regularly practice malfunction drills. If so, what kinds of drills do you perform?

Keyhole
11-30-2012, 06:57
Yes. Regularly. I shoot a tap/rack drill using a mag of live rounds and snap caps. I also shoot an FTE/double feed drill.

Keyhole
11-30-2012, 07:03
To be more specific, the FTE/double feed drill goes like this:

SETUP
manually place a live round in the chamber
insert a loaded magazine
ease the slide forward to force a double feed
DRILL
-pull the trigger (nothing happens)
-perform a standard malfunction drill - tap/rack (does nothing, the slide's already back, but you probably wouldn't know that yet under stress)
-perform the advanced malfunction drill - lock the slide to the rear, remove the mag and tuck in your armpit (still has rounds in it!), rack/rack/rack, reinsert mag, rack
-pull the trigger (bang)

waktasz
11-30-2012, 07:14
Never. I think I've got it down by now.

misunderestimated
11-30-2012, 07:28
I may have mentioned this several times before. The best thing I have gotten from competitions is the ability to clear a malfunction with out much thought.

I feel because of me competing in competitions and having malfunctions. Clearing a malfunction is now a gross motor skill instead of a fine motor skill.

I used to un box my ammo and put it in a bucket and then drop in 10 or so snap caps in with the live ammo and turn my head a way then load six magazines. It works great as sometimes you can get 2 snap caps in a row, When I get that I normally drop the mag and go for my barney/Stripper magazine.

I would also recommend to everybody to practice hot magazine changes, meaning you drop you mag and pull a replacement magazine from your belt. With practice this has become a gross motor skill for me.I can actually walk and reload at the same time.I don't even have to look at my firearm everything just comes together on its own

Even if you don't compete this is how we should spend our time at the range not just putting holes in paper

GlockinNJ
11-30-2012, 07:41
To be more specific, the FTE/double feed drill goes like this:

SETUP
manually place a live round in the chamber
insert a loaded magazine
ease the slide forward to force a double feed
DRILL
-perform a standard malfunction drill - tap/rack (does nothing, the slide's already back, but you probably wouldn't know that yet under stress)
-perform the advanced malfunction drill - lock the slide to the rear, remove the mag and tuck in your armpit (still has rounds in it!), rack/rack/rack, reinsert mag, rack
-pull the trigger (bang)

Awesome! I am just getting into IDPA and looking for something like this to make range time more productive. Thanks!

PEC-Memphis
11-30-2012, 11:58
I'm just curious if you competition shooters regularly practice malfunction drills. If so, what kinds of drills do you perform?

1911 shooters get them often enough in a match that the don't have to do drills. :tongueout:

======

Look up the Clint Smith/Thunder Ranch you-tube video on malfunction drills, it is pretty good.

======

A double feed in a Glock can be cleared with the usual procedure, or an abbreviated procedure.

The abbreviated procedure is to remove the magazine, then fully seat the magazine, rack the slide and shoot.

Much faster than the remove, rack, rack, rack, replace, rack, shoot.

misunderestimated
11-30-2012, 13:46
1911 shooters get them often enough in a match that the don't have to do drills. :tongueout:

Thats funny at a recent rainy IPSAC the guys with the expensive 1911 had there hands full with malfunctions

I offered my G17 to one guy to use as soon as I was done competing and it was taken the wrong way and the guy was a real jerk about it.

iDivideByZero
12-02-2012, 17:27
Tap Rack Bang

Pretty much all you need to know :cool:

jmill88
02-22-2013, 19:45
Tap Rack Bang (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJaQvV6q-D8)

Pretty much all you need to know :cool:

Yep, that pretty much covered it. Had my first double feed with my G19 at the range today.

ronin.45
02-22-2013, 21:09
I don't drill anything. I just shoot as much as possible.

Spiffums
02-23-2013, 07:56

When I shoot my 1911 I get all the joke from my Glock buddies about practicing my malf drills. They stopped the constant jokes after their glocks started having trouble and my 1911 ran along like a swiss watch.

They had KCI mags and stuff give them fits!

ADK_40GLKr
02-24-2013, 08:19
I always figured that cheap 115 grain 9 mm stuff gave me enough UNintended malf drills!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

ADK_40GLKr
02-24-2013, 08:27
Tap/rack?

Where do you tap? Back of slide or mag --- or somewhere else?

I've had to tap rear of slide when it FTGIB.
Had to tap mag if it wasn't fully inserted.

But when you "TAP/RACK" as part of a "malf drill" which is it?

davsco
02-24-2013, 08:48
tapping the mag to ensure it is fully seated

PEC-Memphis
02-24-2013, 14:36
Tap/rack?

Where do you tap? Back of slide or mag --- or somewhere else?

I've had to tap rear of slide when it FTGIB.
Had to tap mag if it wasn't fully inserted.

But when you "TAP/RACK" as part of a "malf drill" which is it?

If you aren't familiar with stoppage drills, it would be worth your time to watch the Clint Smith video.

ADK_40GLKr
02-24-2013, 14:39
Thank you Davsco!