Ruger MKIII disassembly - not seeing what the big deal is. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ruger MKIII disassembly - not seeing what the big deal is.

vafish
11-30-2012, 07:49
So I picked up a Ruger MKIII in a trade probably 2 years ago.

I've heard all the horror stories of how hard they are to disassemble and reassemble so I had been avoiding it for a long time and just cleaning what I could reach through the chamber opening.

Last night I couldn't fall asleep, started messing around with some of my guns and saw the stainless MKIII sitting in the safe, I figured what the heck. Sat down at the computer, watched a video on Youtube by Ruger.

I'm not seeing what all the fuss is about. The MKIII is not as easy to field strip as a Glock or Beretta, but I really don't think it is any more difficult to field strip than a 1911 is. You do have to follow a few simple steps in order.

Disassembly video I watched:

Ruger Mark III .22 Pistol Disassembly - YouTube

Reassembly

Ruger Mark III Pistol Reassembly - YouTube

Jason D
11-30-2012, 16:10
Who are you kidding?

Everyone that doesn't have a Ruger MK pistol knows you need a degree in the field of Aerospace Engineering.

harleypilot
11-30-2012, 16:51
Like almost anything, once you get used to it it's a piece of cake.

Jim

kfive
11-30-2012, 17:04
I have the mk1 it was a pain in the ass to take apart...had to buy a rubber mallet to get it apart....what a pain in the ass to put back together...but as harleypilot says once you do it a couple of times it gets easy..but not to easy...the bottom line I would go to war with that gun ( I know .22... heard it all..what are you going to do with a .22) Well I can shot the eyes out of a dime at twenty yards...self defence I would bet my life on that mk1

rcbif
11-30-2012, 17:06
Of course it's easy in theory...............

My mk3 took me 45min to take down and put back together. The tolerances were so tight, it took tons of force to insert and remove the takedown pin, and wacking a gun with a mallet just seems wrong. I did watch multiple videos on it.

judgecrater
11-30-2012, 21:23
My Mk1 is just not that hard. If you get stuck Ruger does have an instruction book that will walk you through a few steps.

country85
11-30-2012, 22:50
I have the mk1 it was a pain in the ass to take apart...had to buy a rubber mallet to get it apart....what a pain in the ass to put back together...but as harleypilot says once you do it a couple of times it gets easy..but not to easy...the bottom line I would go to war with that gun ( I know .22... heard it all..what are you going to do with a .22) Well I can shot the eyes out of a dime at twenty yards...self defence I would bet my life on that mk1

Amen about going to war with my MKI!! My experience is this. I had a brand new ruger mkIII standard. Holy crap. It sounded like I was forging a sword I had to beat the bolt retaining pin so hard. And getting the hammer to fall just right was completely impossible. Recently traded it for a 1976 MkI target. I can take it down the MkI with my eyes closed and very quickly. Don't even need a mallet to tap the barrel from the trigger group. And no the gun isn't worn out, still tight as can be. I don't know what the difference is but the mkI's and mkII's in my experience seem to be machined alittle looser or something

mayhem23
11-30-2012, 23:34
I found my MkIII Hunter was a pain till I went through the owners manual to get it done each time.

Jason D
12-01-2012, 16:45
I have been maintaining a Ruger pistol since I was a teen, though that comes apart fairly easily with no tools.

My MKIII need to have the upper knocked off with a rubber mallet still, but the mainspring housing assembly comes out without a wood dowel now. The only thing I ever found daunting with the MK pistol was tearing it's guts out and putting it back together with Volquartsen parts. Though the first time took me an hour. I can rip one down and put it back together in about 15 minutes.

Faulkner
12-01-2012, 20:11
I never have figured out what all the whoopla was about. I started my boys out field stripping my MKII and 22/45 after range sessions when they were 9 or 10 and they never had a problem with it.

nickE10mm
12-03-2012, 09:20
Its tricky the first few times especially if you haven't read instructions (or watched any videos). Also, the receiver / bolt pin IS a bit of a pain in the arse to get in and out the first 3-6 times you try... so YES, I recommend a $5 rubber mallet (you should have one anyways :)) to knock the pin the first few times without marring your pistol .... but after doing this, the pin will be smoothed out a bit and it will be much easier to insert and remove by hand in the future.

As for everything else, its just a matter of knowing when and where to let the mainspring strut hang. (First, "out of the way" and second "downward to engage the housing for reassembly"). Once you see the light, all will be well.

Keyhole
12-03-2012, 09:56
Try taking the internals out. Sliding out the trigger assembly is like hitting three cherries on the slots.

Jason D
12-03-2012, 16:09
Try taking the internals out. Sliding out the trigger assembly is like hitting three cherries on the slots.

I didn't have a bit of trouble with that, but only because I had the tools to work that little trigger pin locking spring.

I ran into trouble on reassembly with the spring that was attached to the magazine disconnect. I had no clear instructions telling me the tail goes back down in the magazine well. That was before I removed that BS for good.

nickE10mm
12-03-2012, 16:11
The only link you will ever need for the 22/45.

http://www.guntalk-online.com/2245detailstripping.htm

JimA
01-17-2013, 14:12
I never have figured out what all the whoopla was about. I started my boys out field stripping my MKII and 22/45 after range sessions when they were 9 or 10 and they never had a problem with it.

They ain't all the same. My latest 22-45 required a hammer and punch to remove the bolt stop pin. I't loosened up after about a dozen times coming apart. I can get it out OK by hand now, but I have a grip like a gorilla. Most people would still need a punch. The barrel still has to be beaten off the lower with a mallet and requires about 20 good whacks to reseat far enough to get the bolt stop pin in.
I have had several Marks over the years but have never had to use tools to get them apart before.

packin23
01-17-2013, 16:05
I had a hell of a time getting stupid magazine disconnect/hammer bushing installed right. I then ordered all new volquartsen internals and deleted the mag safety. It's very simple now to take apart and reassemble.

kmrcstintn
01-19-2013, 22:00
in the past I owned a 22/45 heavy barrel and a 22/45standard barrel at different times which disassemble/reassemble similarly to the Mk III standard barrel currently own...

I like the Ruger desing for being robust, accurate, and easy on choosing ammo that'll feed & operate the pistol; I dislike the dissassembly & reassembly of the action...it's not what I call 'easy' when I've gotta bang on things with a rubber mallet during the procress...

CajunBass
01-20-2013, 02:17
I had trouble with mine (MK III) at first, but then I realized that the guy who wrote the book about it probably knew more than I did. Once I read and followed the directions, I was ok. Every step is important, and every word of every step is important. Word for word. Step by step.

The real key for me was when I realized the word "manipulate" meant "push." I believe the instructions say to "manipulate" the hammer so it falls forward. Well, mine never fell anywhere. I had to push it forward with a pencil, or a screwdriver. Eureka!

I never had to beat any of mine with a hammer, but I never tried to take the upper off the lower. I just sprayed it with gunscrubber and oiled. I wouldn't have had a problem with doing it though.

I've got an old standard (MK I) that just falls apart when I pull the bolt out.

PzGren
01-20-2013, 03:45
I have two MkII pistols and while one is a breeze to dis- and reassemble, the other one was a real pita for quite a while. It was extremely tight and without a rubber mallet, I got nowhere.

Rusty Guns
01-20-2013, 09:21
I have an older MKII, & MKIII Hunter.
I have no trouble with either one, but the proper procedure must be followed to the letter.
My Dad bought the MKII when they first came out.
Both of them are accurate as can be and I know they would work fine for self defense.
If shots are properly placed.
Rusty

doktarZues
01-20-2013, 12:46
I've dis/reassembled my mkiii probably 2 dozen times and it's still a pain in the ass. Is it such a big deal that it should keep people from buying an awesomely accurate and reliable and relatively cheap .22lr pistol? Absolutely not. Should the new owner be prepared for a frustrating few rounds of cleaning it? Absolutely.

RJHUB
01-20-2013, 13:01
Have had mkII's for years always had trouble following the procedure in the maual for reassembly(you know hold up pull trigger hold down pull trigger). Sometimes went right back together first time with spring tension sometimes not.

I finally just figured out what was going on and where parts actually needed to be.

#1. Take a pencil and push hammer so it is out of the way when looking straight thru the back of the receiver(barrel,top of hammer parallel with floor).
Has to be out of way for slide to go back in.
#2. After putting mainspring back in place tilt pistol back so strut(little small pivoting arm) falls into slot when pushing mainspring back flush. Should be spring tension.

Not sure if that is written any clearer or not.