Men in Uniform and the women who ________ [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Men in Uniform and the women who ________

KommieforniaGlocker
11-30-2012, 08:14
Flew out to Kommiefornia for work just a day trip, but a had a stop in Phoenix, I had to ask where my connecting flight was headed to, in line there was a young guy/kid Marine (in Uniform on way home not sure age maybe 21-22ish? Who knows) He was in a similar situation as I was...
So while we waited as airline folks did the computer checking we made small talk.....Turns out his flight and mine were departing from Gates next to each other, both on the other side of the airport. (Phoenix is big)

So as we made our trek across the airport, I could not tell you how many times he was approached from various women of all shapes and sizes ages ranging from 16-60 (I kid you not.) And as we are crossing the airport, I could see one zoom in on him from a distance with a look in their eyes like a hungry predator about to pounce on its prey, they would then make a bee-line directly towards him.

All had same approach first thanking him for his service, then making small talk asking him where he was going, where he was from, then moving the conversation towards giving him everything from Facebook, Myspace, Cel phone numbers, Email Address, Mailing Address, Physical address, Fax machine numbers, home telephone numbers, and one work phone numbers. It was insane, he would finish talking with one, proceed walking towards his gate, then about 30 seconds comes another one, stopping him for a moment.

There were also alot of folks thanking him for his service, shaking hands and offering, lunch and dinner on them.(that made me proud of my fellow Americans)
An old timer, insisted he take a 100 bill so he could get some flowers for his mother and lunch...

But the women's :faint:a bunch asked him to join them to get a bite, but he was pressed for time. One even worked for the airport asked him to skip his flight so she could take him out to get to know Phoenix, and she (BTW she worked for airline) said she could get him another one next day after they had break fast :whistling:

Seeing that first hand all I can say is America's women support our troops, and in some case will thank them for their service by offering up some of their's :whistling:

Throw in a service man in uniform to a group of women, they will make Black Friday at Walmart look like Church Bingo, I kid you not....

DAMN YOU ASTHMA!!!!!!

willie_pete
11-30-2012, 08:28
That mirrored my experience in the service.:whistling:

WP

GreenDrake
11-30-2012, 08:32
I know, my good friend's son is graduating from MCRD San Diego today. He has a girlfriend back home that is on the fence so to speak as to commitment. Nothing special. I warned him that being 19 years old and a brand new Marine coming back to his hometown for a month is going to be something to watch. The girls commenting on his visitors day pictures are already lining up wanting to see him when he gets back.

I bought him a gold EGA coin and am giving him the very Eagle Globe and Anchor my Sr. Drill Instructor handed me in 1988 as a welcome to the brotherhood. He is bringing me back a handful of sand from the O course. Proud of that young Marine, the ladies are going to be all over him. It's going to be a good Christmas for that Marine.

aplcr0331
11-30-2012, 08:49
That certainly was not my experience coming out of boot camp. But, I was already married and this was before the WOT so nobody cared about service members comings and goings. Plus, since I'm also not a very memorable looking dude, I'm sure that played a big role in it as well.

I'd be ashamed at all that attention.

Annoyedgrunt
11-30-2012, 09:02
That certainly was not my experience coming out of boot camp. But, I was already married and this was before the WOT so nobody cared about service members comings and goings. Plus, since I'm also not a very memorable looking dude, I'm sure that played a big role in it as well.

I'd be ashamed at all that attention.

Yep. I was in the USMC from Sep. '98 to '03, and it took three full years -- i.e. after 9/11 -- before I ever heard the phrase "Thank you for your service."

I'm not saying that I joined to hear people say that; but at the time, I was like "Is this what it takes? 3,000 Americans getting killed for people to be thankful for the military that's been here this whole time?"

John Rambo
11-30-2012, 09:07
Just buy a motorcycle. Then they'll skip all that, "Blah blah thanks for your service," crap and just ask to hop on and go back to your place.

napp32
11-30-2012, 09:07
Things were a lot different during my 28 years in uniform. There were a few instances when the uniform was an advantage; but, mostly, it was better to travel in civvies.

I am retired in a military community now. One of the interesting things around here is the concept of "contract marriages". Ad for Contract Marriage (http://columbusga.craigslist.org/w4m/3407485266.html)

BuzznRose
11-30-2012, 09:12
LOL! Yeah, I see it a lot and what is so surprising? These young men and women show us what made us a great Nation. Smart, clean cut, polite, hard working, honorable, and have integrity. And six pack abs don't hurt as far as the ladies go...LOL!

The feminization of the American male is pathetic. What percentage of young men today can bait a hook, change a tire, shoot a rifle, or hit the dirt for fifty push-ups? Dang few. We've got too many video game couch warriors. Tattoos, piercings, and leather do not a man make.

Brad Paisley's song "I'm still a guy" and Justin Moore's "Bait a Hook" make the case in a funny but all to accurate way.

Sorry if I'm out of touch. I'll climb back in my cave now.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Chiefret
11-30-2012, 09:16
Wow. Things sure have changed since I was in the service. You would be lucky to get a first glance let alone someone speak to you.

janice6
11-30-2012, 09:22
When I was in the service, everyone was in the service. No one thought it was anything special. Some didn't like it, but still did the 'right thing" serving their country.

Many now think it is an activity that is a disruption to their life and they can't be bothered with patriotism. They are too busy with I want.

Thank somebody that there are still people willing to put their personal safety and finances on the line for others.

69HEMI-R/T
11-30-2012, 09:23
I was in the USMC a long time ago. 66-70. I arrived in El Toro about 8pm and left as fast as I could for the L.A. airport to go home to Houston. On my trip back from L.A. to home a very pretty college girl got on the plane (red-eye flight about midnight) and purposely sat in my row, looked at me and smiled big. We were one of the few people on the plane.

It definitely was an invitation to talk and I was quite tongue-tied at the moment but I found the courage to speak. I found out she had been visiting parents in L.A. and was on her way back to Bowling Green University where she finishing her junior year.

Before we got to Houston, she had already invited me to come with her to Bowling Green promising me she and her sorority sisters would take care of me! Damn !!

It was doggone hard to say I had to get off in Houston and stay but I had not been home in 2 years almost and my family was waiting for me.

That was the only time I got any reaction, positive or negative, from anyone while travelling around the Country in uniform.

Always wondered what would have happened if I would have gone on to Bowling Green!

John Rambo
11-30-2012, 09:24
Brad Paisley's song "I'm still a guy" and Justin Moore's "Bait a Hook" make the case in a funny but all to accurate way.

Sorry if I'm out of touch. I'll climb back in my cave now.

Whats funny is they're both new-age pansies who don't hold a candle to some real country artists.

Annoyedgrunt
11-30-2012, 09:25
Wow. Things sure have changed since I was in the service. You would be lucky to get a first glance let alone someone speak to you.

In some cases, it would be open hostility; people picking fights with you for no other reason than being in uniform, or being denied service... "Get the hell outta my bar, you g'damn jarheads!" Hard to imagine it being like that nowadays.

Detectorist
11-30-2012, 09:40
It wasn't quite as blatant when I was in, but yes, women love uniforms. It also seemed that my wedding ring attracted more of them.

However, the women who are impressed by uniforms won't stick around long, even if they marry a uniform. This includes cops, too.

Dennis in MA
11-30-2012, 09:51
He didn't go through Plymouth, MA

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Business/ht_lindsey_stone_jp_121119_wg.jpg

fnfalman
11-30-2012, 10:01
Wait till you put on a green beret. You can't tear the chicks off you quick enough.

KommieforniaGlocker
11-30-2012, 10:12
He didn't go through Plymouth, MA

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Business/ht_lindsey_stone_jp_121119_wg.jpg

That is her best pic, rest assured nobody is missing out anything they can't find at the nearest Golden Corral.

Annoyedgrunt
11-30-2012, 10:21
Wait till you put on a green beret. You can't tear the chicks off you quick enough.

Hell, if I was single and had no qualms about lying about still being AD, I'd go get a fresh haircut, dig out my blues and drive up to Phx Intl and just walk around all day.

"Why, yes, young lady, I would like your phone number." :rofl::supergrin:

BuzznRose
11-30-2012, 11:55
Whats funny is they're both new-age pansies who don't hold a candle to some real country artists.

LOL! Maybe Paisley, but Moore seems pretty hard core redneck to me.

But that's certainly an outside looking in point of view.

Whiskey Six
11-30-2012, 12:41
It's a Marine thing...:tongueout: Love the groupies.
I was a Recruiter in a small midwestern city. Wore some version of Dress Blues every day. Oh the stories.:whistling::supergrin:

Mushinto
11-30-2012, 12:49
Beats the hell out of being called baby killer.

Bren
11-30-2012, 13:25
In May, some of us were flying to Ft. Sill, OK, in uniform. On the flight from Dallas to Lawton, we were on a small plane, 2 rows of 2 seats across. About 6-7 rows up a good looking 40ish blonde woman was sitting in a row all to herself. One of the guys flying with me, was sitting in a row with one empty seat beside him. She looked behind her, got out of her seat and came and sat by him and talked to him through the whole flight. Seemed kind of odd.

Dirk Pitt
11-30-2012, 13:40
My son is in the Marines graduated in 2009 and has had all the good stuff everyone is talking about here. Never took advantage of it, but he still gets it. Which is great and the way it should be.

My big experince? The best? was a woman came up to me ( I was in uniform) tapped me on the shoulder and I asked her if I could help her. Her reply was this "I forgive you for your sins against the people of Vietnam" my reply was "Thank you for your forgiveness but I was in grammar school at the time" This was 1979. Nobody ever thanked me for jack.

Glock20 10mm
11-30-2012, 13:40

WP

Ditto...

Bren
11-30-2012, 13:45
Beats the hell out of being called baby killer.

So leave the babies alone.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcw0l7ug9x1ry46hlo1_400.gif

johnd
11-30-2012, 13:49
Heartwarming to hear that and thats how I would expect we need treat our troops too all the time.
My experiences were a bit different but it was a different time back then. I was spat on, even kicked once and told many times I was a killer. ( BFD, thats what our job was)
Its guys like me back then who got that kind of treatment back then who are todays fathers who know that that was not the right way to treat someone, anyone let alone our kids.
And...I wasnt even an American back then, I was just passing through in an Allies uniform.

Batesmotel
11-30-2012, 13:50
Different world today.

I was in the post Viet Nam years. We were made to sit in the back of the restaurant, by the kitchen even in civilian clothes. Some taxies would not pick us up. And many girls would not go out with us. Some who would did it against their parents wishes.

It was 19 years before someone I knew said thank you and several more before a stranger said it.

I am so glad the guys are being treated better.

Semper Fi.

The opposite side of the coin........

My father (post WWII-Korea era, US Navy) Had girlfriends in Salt Lake, Bremerton, San Diego, San Francisco, Okinawa, and Hong Kong.

My best friends father regaled us of tales of liberating Paris and the low countries. Back then, Women LOVED anything in an allied uniform.

Multiple Arms
11-30-2012, 14:11
So leave the babies alone.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcw0l7ug9x1ry46hlo1_400.gif

:rofl::rofl: Oh God! I'm trying not to laugh but if I didn't my teeth would explode! :rofl::rofl:

TK-421
11-30-2012, 14:30
You have to remember that a lot of women think it's a status symbol to be dating a military member. I've known quite a few girls who would blow off anybody not in uniform. So it's entirely possible that those girls were all trying to get into his pants so they could brag to their friends about it.

Shinytop
11-30-2012, 14:36
I live in NW Florida. I served active from 67-72 with 2 VN tours. I got some bad looks traveling through San Francisco but found that the closer I got to the South the more I received respectful looks.

G19Tony
11-30-2012, 16:42

WP

Yes, it was just like that for me too. :rofl:

Spiffums
11-30-2012, 17:20
Just buy a motorcycle. Then they'll skip all that, "Blah blah thanks for your service," crap and just ask to hop on and go back to your place.

Just dont do both.......You turn into Eurodriver! :rofl:

Tx-SIG229
11-30-2012, 17:35
when i was stationed in west germany, nobody liked anyone in unifiorms and it felt dangerous to go off base wearing one. once state side, it seemed that wearing one in public (ie airports) was a reason to get nasty stares. women definitely did not want to talk to you unless you were an officer.

nikerret
11-30-2012, 17:48
"Yeah, it's going to be another two weeks. I can't seem to find the right gate at the Phoenix Airport."