Why do Smart Phones look so stupid? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Why do Smart Phones look so stupid?

JuneyBooney
11-30-2012, 08:35
I remember when people used to laugh at the old "brick phones'. :rofl:Now I see the size of "smartphones" and I have to laugh. These things are "phones" and they look so stupid when held up to the ear as a phone. :rofl:Is it just me or do you guys think the same? I understand for texting it is ok but the size of these things is just huge. :faint:

Unk
11-30-2012, 08:37
Actually the phones are SMART, it is some if us owners that may be on the cusp.

Best.

jtmac
11-30-2012, 08:44
A smartphone with a 4 inch screen is still no wider than an old telephone handset that had the dialing on the handset itself. It's certainly not even nearly as tall.

So... I don't think that at all.

omega48038
11-30-2012, 08:48
Because they aren't large phones, they are small tablets that can also make calls. The internet is pretty useless on a 1x1.5 screen.

GT4494
11-30-2012, 08:50
I remember when people used to laugh at the old "brick phones'. :rofl:Now I see the size of "smartphones" and I have to laugh. These things are "phones" and they look so stupid when held up to the ear as a phone. :rofl:Is it just me or do you guys think the same? I understand for texting it is ok but the size of these things is just huge. :faint:

It is pretty ironic that phones went from "Bag phones" to ones so small you could barely push the numbers to make a call and now they have 7" + tablets that can be used as phones.

Go figure...:rofl:

aplcr0331
11-30-2012, 08:51
They are not even close to the same size.

http://www.macabolic.com/assets/products/thumbnails/735/small/20120628144905-brickphone-iphone.png?1341010467

Feeling a little nostalgic? Get one of these:

http://media-cache-lt0.pinterest.com/upload/71635450292393288_dEsf7jno_c.jpg

JuneyBooney
11-30-2012, 08:54
It is pretty ironic that phones went from "Bag phones" to ones so small you could barely push the numbers to make a call and now they have 7" + tablets that can be used as phones.

Go figure...:rofl:

That is what I am talking about. :cool::faint:

Dubble-Tapper
11-30-2012, 08:56
well, simply due to the fact that smart phones are no longer simply phones. they are computers, alarm clocks, game consoles, televisions, and work devices all in one.

also, with all the people using their devices for streaming vid/pics, browsing the net, etc., 4-6'' screens are definitely justified.

JuneyBooney
11-30-2012, 08:57
They are not even close to the same size.

http://www.macabolic.com/assets/products/thumbnails/735/small/20120628144905-brickphone-iphone.png?1341010467

Feeling a little nostalgic? Get one of these:

http://media-cache-lt0.pinterest.com/upload/71635450292393288_dEsf7jno_c.jpg

They still seem huge to me. I wonder what people would think if I placed a notebook up to my head as a phone. :whistling: The brick phones were similar to military radios and made some sense. The flat phones look nutty to me. They are fine for emails and such but when I am out and about I don't like being bothered. Then they do seem so darned big now. :upeyes:

JuneyBooney
11-30-2012, 08:59
well, simply due to the fact that smart phones are no longer simply phones. they are computers, alarm clocks, game consoles, televisions, and work devices all in one.

also, with all the people using their devices for streaming vid/pics, browsing the net, etc., 4-6'' screens are definitely justified.

Well, still seem very strange to me. I guess to me small phones are where the phones should be used and then go home and watch tv. :whistling:

wvtarheel
11-30-2012, 09:14
They still seem huge to me..

They still seem fairly small to me, but I guess everything is relative and maybe I'm just not that used to handling tiny things?

I wonder what people would think if I placed a notebook up to my head as a phone.

Well they would think you are an idiot, but none of the smartphones are the size of a notebook computer (or a paper notebook if that was what you meant)

Today's smartphones are smaller than the portable (cordless) phones used throughout the late 80s through early 2000s. Today's smartphones are smaller than most wired handsets being sold today. My smartphone is smaller than the VOIP handset I use at work. Cellphones as tiny flip phones was a fad that lasted about 2 years, just before the iphone changed the market. I guess if you are real nostalgic for the two or three year period when motorola razr, and other small fliphones were popular you might think smartphones are large.

Personally, my perspective on the size of electronics is a little broader.

LL6
11-30-2012, 09:48
Seems the OP has struck a nerve so don't mind me while I watch.

http://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/gallery/files/1/5/homereatingpopcorn.JPG

*ASH*
11-30-2012, 11:23
i think its more so the people using them look stupid lol .

im old school , i have casio g shock flip phone , rough , in water , drop it , kick it , whatever . i use a phone for what it was made for .

now my wife anddaughters have droids . that is their right , but when we go to dinner or etc , the rule is the phones are off PERIOD .

if not i dont go , i like to go out with family ,not having someone sticking their face in a otterbox . wait ??? that statement is funny :rofl::rofl:

to those who love these phones more power to ya, but if around me or talking to me in person i better have full attention or i will call you on it .

Dennis in MA
11-30-2012, 11:31
Funny was in Disney last spring. There were several families out and about taking pix of themselves and the adventures. . .

With an iPad.

??????

You don't have a device smaller than that to take a pic with??? Why not tote around a laptop with a webcam at that point??? It just looked impractical.

Tackle
11-30-2012, 11:59
The real question is, who makes calls using a phone anymore? The only people that I get calls from are old and still use a landline.

Email, texting, Skype, Google+ hangouts are all I need. If I could get a plan that I had to pay $.50 a minute talk time and have unlimited web and texting I would be further ahead.

racerford
11-30-2012, 12:08
The real question is, who makes calls using a phone anymore? The only people that I get calls from are old and still use a landline.

Email, texting, Skype, Google+ hangouts are all I need. If I could get a plan that I had to pay $.50 a minute talk time and have unlimited web and texting I would be further ahead.

People who want to have a more complete communication experience.

Business calls.

Texting is terrible for complex issues. Most use txt spk which is useless and rud I h8 it. It is also entirely inappropriate for business. Auto correct can REALLY screw up what you say.

I talk much faster than I can text; and more accurately too.

Email is not interactive, a phone call is.

I suppose you think landlines are useless too. I would guess you have never been in a area with disaster or a widespread power outage. Landline is king in that circumstance.

686Owner
11-30-2012, 17:02
Most landlines are cordless phones and are still useless in a power outage. Also, around here the telephone lines are strung up next to the power lines

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

eracer
11-30-2012, 17:04
Because they look better than taping an iPad to your head?

harlenm
11-30-2012, 18:49
Funny was in Disney last spring. There were several families out and about taking pix of themselves and the adventures. . .

With an iPad.

??????

You don't have a device smaller than that to take a pic with??? Why not tote around a laptop with a webcam at that point??? It just looked impractical.

Ipads take horrible pictures and should not be used as a dedicated camera.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Bow Commander
11-30-2012, 19:10

With an iPad.

??????

Probably because their Droid phone was malfunctioning so they went with plan b. :rofl:

Bruce M
11-30-2012, 19:10

I suppose you think landlines are useless too. I would guess you have never been in a area with disaster or a widespread power outage. Landline is king in that circumstance.

A landline is also king when it comes time to make a 911 call.

okie
11-30-2012, 19:13
This is an awesome looking phone right here:supergrin:

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/Archive/US-EN/ARCHIEVED-DO-NOT-USE-Motorola-Tundra-VA76r-US-EN

JuneyBooney
11-30-2012, 19:14
Actually the phones are SMART, it is some if us owners that may be on the cusp.

Best.

You are probably right about the owners and the phones. :cool:

JuneyBooney
11-30-2012, 19:16
This is an awesome looking phone right here:supergrin:

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/Archive/US-EN/ARCHIEVED-DO-NOT-USE-Motorola-Tundra-VA76r-US-EN

I agree. That is how "phones" are supposed to look. :cool: I was at Best Buy looking around and could only imagine myself with a tv set up next to my head. :rofl:

JuneyBooney
11-30-2012, 19:17
Most landlines are cordless phones and are still useless in a power outage. Also, around here the telephone lines are strung up next to the power lines

But when you lose power the towers go down. My copper wired landline works most of the time.

certifiedfunds
11-30-2012, 20:22
Texting is terrible for complex issues.

Indeed. But a picture is worth 1000 words.

What I've found works is to draw out the situation on a piece of paper, photograph it and then SMS it over.

racerford
11-30-2012, 22:05
Indeed. But a picture is worth 1000 words.

What I've found works is to draw out the situation on a piece of paper, photograph it and then SMS it over.

A picture is not SMS texting. It is MMS.

In your business life, Do you do a lot of business by texting? Is is most of it face to face or by phone?

Gallium
11-30-2012, 23:14
Simple answer, you think they are phones, but they are really video centric computers with a phone app built in.

janice6
11-30-2012, 23:23
Because for eons, looks are more important than smarts.

JuneyBooney
12-01-2012, 02:58
They still seem fairly small to me, but I guess everything is relative and maybe I'm just not that used to handling tiny things?

Well they would think you are an idiot, but none of the smartphones are the size of a notebook computer (or a paper notebook if that was what you meant)

Today's smartphones are smaller than the portable (cordless) phones used throughout the late 80s through early 2000s. Today's smartphones are smaller than most wired handsets being sold today. My smartphone is smaller than the VOIP handset I use at work. Cellphones as tiny flip phones was a fad that lasted about 2 years, just before the iphone changed the market. I guess if you are real nostalgic for the two or three year period when motorola razr, and other small fliphones were popular you might think smartphones are large.

Personally, my perspective on the size of electronics is a little broader.

I still prefer my flip type phones. I have never liked "candy bar" phones. I understand what you are talking about but I have found that devices that do many things break a lot. I alos go into Federal buildings and there are many that don't allow phones that have cameras etc. So the old flip phone works wonders. To me a small phone is still best. I can't figure why people have to be entertained so darned much. :whistling: Hackers can get into smart phones and send messages too. I guess society will be that when someone is standing next to you..you text them with a smart phone. :faint:

JuneyBooney
12-01-2012, 02:59
Because for eons, looks are more important than smarts.

That is even true nowadays. My gf us very smart but she is quite lovely. :cool: But her phone is not a smart phone. It is only of average intelligence. :faint:

JuneyBooney
12-01-2012, 03:00
Simple answer, you think they are phones, but they are really video centric computers with a phone app built in.

That is very true.

JuneyBooney
12-01-2012, 03:02

In your business life, Do you do a lot of business by texting? Is is most of it face to face or by phone?

I only text about once or twice a month. Business is phone or in person. You really cannot prove who is sending the text.

JuneyBooney
12-01-2012, 03:03
Seems the OP has struck a nerve so don't mind me while I watch.

http://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/gallery/files/1/5/homereatingpopcorn.JPG

It could get entertaining if the youngsters with smartphones glued to their fingers start on the thread. :whistling:

JuneyBooney
12-01-2012, 03:07
i think its more so the people using them look stupid lol .

im old school , i have casio g shock flip phone , rough , in water , drop it , kick it , whatever . i use a phone for what it was made for .

now my wife anddaughters have droids . that is their right , but when we go to dinner or etc , the rule is the phones are off PERIOD .

if not i dont go , i like to go out with family ,not having someone sticking their face in a otterbox . wait ??? that statement is funny :rofl::rofl:

to those who love these phones more power to ya, but if around me or talking to me in person i better have full attention or i will call you on it .

You seem to use a cell phone like I use a cell phone. That is the proper way to ise them but I know the cell companies want the data rates to be high and the people to use them with wild abandon. I love facilities that jam text signals too. :rofl:Phones get pretty stupid then.

JohnBT
12-01-2012, 06:09
"Cellphones as tiny flip phones was a fad that lasted about 2 years"

Lots of folks are still using them 10 years later. Call quality is great and they're easy to carry. And cheap, too.

"The real question is, who makes calls using a phone anymore?"

Lots of interesting people - friends who like to talk. And my stockbroker, doctor, lawyer, dentist, etc.

John

Fwiw - "old phone with a rotary dial in the handset" - That's the Trimline from 1965

RonS
12-01-2012, 06:18
I'm on the list for retinal and mastoid implants, pretty soon now I'll be laughing at all you guys with your silly belt cases. :)

I just hope I can find a screwdriver for the battery compartment when I need it.

certifiedfunds
12-01-2012, 07:24

SMS/MMS I was making a joke.

But to answer your question: Phone is still primary but I am finding more and more of my business communication occurring via text. Not only internally but with customers.

People seem to prefer the un-intrusiveness of a text message that they can reply to when they are ready, don't require the usual greetings and don't require them to stop what they are doing.

However, I agree that it is bad for discussions of any complexity. I often find myself starting communication via text and then switching to a call when complexity enters.

brisk21
12-01-2012, 07:44
I like to think of them as "computer phones". That is really what they are. My Samsung Galaxy S3 has a nice big screen that is excellent for web browsing, viewing videos, and facebooking. Its not just a phone.

Dennis in MA
12-01-2012, 07:49
It could get entertaining if the youngsters with smartphones glued to their fingers start on the thread. :whistling:

To their fingers, but not to the thumbs. You need them to text.

Dennis in MA
12-01-2012, 07:51
I'll say this: I could never imagine a time as this. My client base is aged about 65. On Tuesday, I saw 5 clients. Emailed follow up letters to 4 out of 5. Saved me $4 is paper, envelopes and postage. And it logs directly to their files in Salesforce. I am now my office. Not the building I rent space in.

MedicOni
12-01-2012, 08:02
I love my S3 Galaxy... PArt of it is it gives me something to do at work when I have downtime (which can be none or can be half the shift)... Plus with the reference and calculator apps I have on it, I don't have to carry a physical flip guide with me anymore. I don't care what the old generation think it looks like lol. If it works for me, I'm all for it.

certifiedfunds
12-01-2012, 08:02
I'll say this: I could never imagine a time as this. My client base is aged about 65. On Tuesday, I saw 5 clients. Emailed follow up letters to 4 out of 5. Saved me $4 is paper, envelopes and postage. And it logs directly to their files in Salesforce. I am now my office. Not the building I rent space in.

yes. I was just having this discussion with someone.

Used to be I traveled with files. My shoulder bag was large and heavy. Sometimes I used a roller.

Now, I have a scansnap and travel with a Tom Bihn Cadet which holds a minimum of things including an 11" Macbook Air and a small notebook and I literally have everything I need. Between Evernote and Salesforce I can access everything on either the MBA or iPhone.

JuneyBooney
12-06-2012, 10:27
yes. I was just having this discussion with someone.

Used to be I traveled with files. My shoulder bag was large and heavy. Sometimes I used a roller.

Now, I have a scansnap and travel with a Tom Bihn Cadet which holds a minimum of things including an 11" Macbook Air and a small notebook and I literally have everything I need. Between Evernote and Salesforce I can access everything on either the MBA or iPhone.

But what about security of the files? I don't like electronic files because of privacy and potential errors. But I do understand what you like about them. But I have actually found people with my records that I don't want having them..not good.

certifiedfunds
12-06-2012, 13:47
But what about security of the files? I don't like electronic files because of privacy and potential errors. But I do understand what you like about them. But I have actually found people with my records that I don't want having them..not good.

Paper files carry security risks as well. Arguably more so

Fire, water, theft, misplaced, copied

ray9898
12-06-2012, 14:14
They are that size because smart phones are much more than just a phone.