10 best countries to be born in... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 10 best countries to be born in...

XDRoX
11-30-2012, 10:08
The top ten best places to be born in 2013:
1. Switzerland
2. Australia
3. Norway
4. Sweden
5. Denmark
6. Singapore
7. New Zealand
8. Netherlands
9. Canada
10. Hong Kong
http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/best-places-born-2013-175300116.html

JBnTX
11-30-2012, 10:16
BS!

The United States of America is the greatest country on Earth.
:patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot:

Even with our corrupt government and current economic problems, we are still light years ahead of whatever foreign poophole is in second place.

It's disturbing that an American would even post such crap.

redbaron007
11-30-2012, 10:21
It would be nice to see the breakdown of the survey by country.

These lil articles are always entertaining if nothing else.

:wavey:

red

Geko45
11-30-2012, 10:23
I only have expereince with a couple on that list (Hong Kong and Singapore). I really enjoyed my time in both, but wouldn't choose either to be born in.

jame
11-30-2012, 10:28
Given the path down which we currently travel, I'm not surprised.

11-30-2012, 10:30
The United States, "where babies will inherit the large debts of the boomer generation, languishes back in 16th place...

Says it all.

janice6
11-30-2012, 10:33
This has been fully verified and attested to by citizens of the following countries:

1. Switzerland
2. Australia
3. Norway
4. Sweden
5. Denmark
6. Singapore
7. New Zealand
8. Netherlands
9. Canada
10. Hong Kong

RichJ
11-30-2012, 10:34
One of my good friends thought it would be cool to take a job in Australia.

After only two years there, he now despises the place and is trying to leave but he can't find other employment here in the States due to the crappy economy.

Funny thing is... before he left he was raving about how Australia has free health care and how he was going to tripple his salary. When he found out how expensive it is to live there, suddenly it wasn't so attractive anymore.

redbaron007
11-30-2012, 10:37
This has been fully verified and attested to by citizens of the following countries:

1. Switzerland
2. Australia
3. Norway
4. Sweden
5. Denmark
6. Singapore
7. New Zealand
8. Netherlands
9. Canada
10. Hong Kong

:rofl: :animlol:

:wavey:

red

RWBlue
11-30-2012, 11:23
The United States, "where babies will inherit the large debts of the boomer generation, languishes back in 16th place...

Says it all.

Yep..

devildog2067
11-30-2012, 11:32

I happen to agree with you. America is my home, and it's the greatest nation on Earth.

Having said that:

Even with our corrupt government and current economic problems, we are still light years ahead of whatever foreign poophole is in second place.

This statement is beyond retarded. I'm an American, and I love my country, but intellectually I accept the idea that there are a lot of other places out there that are great places to live. Some of them are, in some ways, better than here.

Just because a place is "foreign" does not at all make it a "poophole."

It's disturbing that you think someone reposting a list originally compiled by a British magazine is "disturbing."

"OH NOES! 'MURICANS ARE READIN THEM FURRIN PAPERS! THEY MIGHT CATCH COMMIE ER SUMTHIN!"

guns54
11-30-2012, 11:36
I only know of one. U.S.A.

Glock20 10mm
11-30-2012, 11:38
One of my good friends thought it would be cool to take a job in Australia.

After only two years there, he now despises the place and is trying to leave but he can't find other employment here in the States due to the crappy economy.

Funny thing is... before he left he was raving about how Australia has free health care and how he was going to tripple his salary. When he found out how expensive it is to live there, suddenly it wasn't so attractive anymore.

Yeah... reality sucks.

Dennis in MA
11-30-2012, 11:39
Khazakstan!

Where every girl can grow up to be number-one prostitute in Khazakstan. And every boy can grow up to be her proud brother.

FullClip
11-30-2012, 11:46
Well, not too many people can pick and choose the country they are born in, but a whole lot of people can choose the country they live in.

If the USA is so bad, why the heck are so many folks moving there??:supergrin:

I got lucky and was born in the USA. I've lived for extended periods in several countries, but I haven't seen anyplace yet that can beat the USA.

And once again....gotta keep an eye out on the Northern Border. Those sneaky Canadians are plotting something up there between hockey games.:supergrin:

Glockdude1
11-30-2012, 12:01
#1 Texas

Nuff said.

:thumbsup:

Slug71
11-30-2012, 12:19
Ive lived in South Africa as well as New Zealand before coming here.

One thing I do miss about living there is the paid vacation.

4 weeks paid vacation.
1 week paid sick days.
3 days paid bereavement for direct family.
1 day paid for indirect family and friends.
I think woman get 6 weeks maternity leave paid at 80% of their regular wage too.

And I liked NZ's ACC medical. Covers you 100% in the event of an accident.

Unions aren't popular there. Although employers are required to give a verbal AND then a written before termination. And warnings expire after 6 months so you have to be on the ball if you want to get rid of someone.
Of course harassment, fighting, theft, discrimination, etc. is excluded from that.

And most companies in NZ give an annual inflation increase which was nice.

But all countries have their ups and downs.

Near impossible to own guns in both countries.
Jobs are few and far between in S.A.
S.A. has HIGH crime.

People hate the po-po here, try NZ's. They're a bunch of ****** bags.

Annoyedgrunt
11-30-2012, 12:29
That's funny; I didn't realize that Hong Kong was a country. ;)

KeithS
11-30-2012, 12:32
Cool. Then we really can close our borders as no on wants in.

devildog2067
11-30-2012, 12:34

It has an independent judiciary, a different legal framework, and a different body of code based on civil law. I don't think calling it a separate country is much of a stretch, actually.

Slug71
11-30-2012, 12:36

A lot of people think New Zealand is part of Australia. :eek:

Annoyedgrunt
11-30-2012, 12:37
It has an independent judiciary, a different legal framework, and a different body of code based on civil law. I don't think calling it a separate country is much of a stretch, actually.

So it's kind of like California, then. :whistling:

:couch:

Slug71
11-30-2012, 12:40
So it's kind of like California, then. :whistling:

:couch:

Lmao!

podwich
11-30-2012, 12:42
BS!

While I love my country, the last 70 years of gimmees ("greatest" generation to current) have indebted us to an incredible degree. That's a big deal.

jollygreen
11-30-2012, 12:49
These types of comparisons are stupid. If one is born to an upper middle class family in America, he's infinitely better off than one born to a dirt poor Aboriginal family in Australia.

For example.

America still hosts the best opportunities for advancement of any nation on earth. If a kid has a solid work ethic and doesn't demand handouts (like affirmative action and other such crap), he can accomplish anything.

MarcDW
11-30-2012, 12:50
A friend who just gets through his "divorce" from his common law wife would disagree with Canada.
Interesting, you only have to have a relationship for 6 month and you pay the rest of your life including her kids!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

11-30-2012, 14:10
These types of comparisons are stupid. If one is born to an upper middle class family in America, he's infinitely better off than one born to a dirt poor Aboriginal family in Australia.

For example.

America still hosts the best opportunities for advancement of any nation on earth. If a kid has a solid work ethic and doesn't demand handouts (like affirmative action and other such crap), he can accomplish anything.
I agree. We can use Michael Jackson as an example. He was born a poor black child, and died a rich white man.

Berto
11-30-2012, 14:24
I agree. We can use Michael Jackson as an example. He was born a poor black child, and died a rich white man.

Be nice. He did great things, like him and Richard Pryor founding The Ignited Negros College Fund.

Rotn1
11-30-2012, 14:27
Born in #9 moved by choice to the real #1 the USA.

Be nice. He did great things, like him and Richard Pryor founding The Ignited Negros College Fund.
:rofl: I forgot about those jokes!

arclight610
BS!

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Merica_d247fe_3865256.jpg

treeline
11-30-2012, 14:45

Every 1st world nation can claim that people prepared to work hard can accomplish anything. It's a common claim that 'only in America' can people rise from nothing to become rich but in reality we're not unique. Nor are we the country where people are most able to do that; about 8 of the countries on the top 10 list now have greater social mobility than we do.

glockdoc21
11-30-2012, 15:00
You mean that it's better to be born into a small, geographically isolated country composed of a homogenous group of people with similar backgrounds, culture and beliefs? That's what these usually mean, and the data doesn't apply to the US unfortunately. Many in these countries still have a strong work ethic, a sense of pride in their vocation and a code of conduct (I won't say "ethics") that we have abandoned. I heard a Scandinavian trauma doctor say (when talking about violent patients) "I wouldn't know, I've never had a violent trauma patient" :upeyes: This is something that I saw THIS MORNING (meth head). I'd say these are the 10 best CULTURES or SOCIETIES to be born into.

vikingsoftpaw
11-30-2012, 15:00
1. Switzerland
2. Australia
3. Norway
4. Sweden
5. Denmark
6. Singapore
7. New Zealand
8. Netherlands
9. Canada
10. Hong Kong

I've taken mental note that 8 out of the 10 are Conformist White Anglo cultures. They also look down on bottom feeders.

Zombiegargoyle
11-30-2012, 18:27
The list is a load of old bull dust, baby Australians have to be as tuff as drill sergeants to fend off dingo attacks :aod::scared:

Nestor
11-30-2012, 19:35
Every place has some ups and downs.
There is just a question of how many of those downs are You ready to tolerate in relation to the ups that You do enjoy daily.
The more You travel the more You can learn.
The more You can learn the more You can see.
The more You can see the more You can understand.
Then You know that no matter how much You can understand You gonna die stupid anyway.
Oh...well.
It's dark and cold in here, but that's fine.
I'm #9 on the list :rofl:

fusegsp
11-30-2012, 21:06
Norway? If it's so great, why all the black metal?

DrMaxit
11-30-2012, 21:25
"OH NOES! 'MURICANS ARE READIN THEM FURRIN PAPERS! THEY MIGHT CATCH COMMIE ER SUMTHIN!"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Texas right? Did I guess it right? Impression of Texas?

.264 magnum
11-30-2012, 21:29
Ive lived in South Africa as well as New Zealand before coming here.

One thing I do miss about living there is the paid vacation.

4 weeks paid vacation.
1 week paid sick days.
3 days paid bereavement for direct family.
1 day paid for indirect family and friends.
I think woman get 6 weeks maternity leave paid at 80% of their regular wage too.

And I liked NZ's ACC medical. Covers you 100% in the event of an accident.

Unions aren't popular there. Although employers are required to give a verbal AND then a written before termination. And warnings expire after 6 months so you have to be on the ball if you want to get rid of someone.
Of course harassment, fighting, theft, discrimination, etc. is excluded from that.

And most companies in NZ give an annual inflation increase which was nice.

But all countries have their ups and downs.

Near impossible to own guns in both countries.
Jobs are few and far between in S.A.
S.A. has HIGH crime.

People hate the po-po here, try NZ's. They're a bunch of ****** bags.

All that and a decent drink in NZ is anywhere from $18-25 USD.

Slug71
11-30-2012, 22:00
All that and a decent drink in NZ is anywhere from $18-25 USD.

You been drinking at the wrong places.

I will admit that the cost of living in N.Z is higher than the U.S. But it's also a much smaller country.
Real Estate is ridiculously expensive too.

They do pay a decent minimum wage though.

Berto
11-30-2012, 23:55
Norway? If it's so great, why all the black metal?

That's why it's great.:supergrin:

Critias
12-01-2012, 00:59
I fully agree with the statement "America is the greatest nation on Earth," but only if we remember that American exceptionalism is a mandate, not a gift. It's something to aim for, not a magical spell. If we want to insist it's true, we have to act like it. We have to make it true.

We have to work for it. We have to fix our busted public education system, we have to work on our economy, we have to look at these adversarial politics that encourage Americans to hate one another (not just to disagree with one another), we need to strike a balance between taxation and spending, between prioritizing the military and prioritizing healthcare and infrastructure and everything else. We can't sit here in GNG and complain about how broken the country is all day long, and then be offended when an article agrees with us by not ranking us #1 in everything, ever.

Bren
12-01-2012, 04:10
1. Switzerland
2. Australia
3. Norway
4. Sweden
5. Denmark
6. Singapore
7. New Zealand
8. Netherlands
9. Canada
10. Hong Kong

When I saw northern Europena countries, I was going to blame it on a left-wing nutjob writer...but Hong Kong? Crime capitol of the People's Republic of China? That did say "best" - not "worst"? That's more like a mentally ill left-wing nutjob writing from a padded cell.

People writing in the media about "best country" often count freedom as a negative and government handouts as a positive - like some bizarro world, black is white, blah, blah, blah.

Sadly, 50 years from now, the democrat party may very well have made that true.

sombunya
12-01-2012, 10:11
I met a former aircraft broker from Switzerland who is now a maintenance man at a small hosptal in Santa Barbara. He makes much less money now. His reason for leaving Switzerland? Freedom.

And yes it's true, one can see someone enter a bank in Switzerland to conduct personal business with a SIG rifle slung over their shoulder. (I know, it's anecdotal)

That list is just another opinion piece based on someone's personal bias.