Bud's used guns [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bud's used guns

glocked1
11-30-2012, 10:21
Anyone notice Bud's has had a very small amount of used guns lately?

Psychman
11-30-2012, 10:29
A. People not selling many guns these days.

B. Bud's doesn't pay fair prices for used guns.

C. Lots of people have bought up the used guns they had.

D. All of the above.

jeepmann11
11-30-2012, 12:30
Go to Buds store front they always have a lot more used guns there that they do not list online. I never understood this about them. I do agree they do not offer much of nothing for a gun when you try to sell it or trade it in. I do almost all my business with them for the last few years but refuse to trade or sell a gun to them.

fnfalman
11-30-2012, 12:52
Please let me know which gun shop would give you "fair" price for your used guns.

jeepmann11
11-30-2012, 13:15
There is a difference between reasonable offer and low ball offer. I understand there is very few gun shops left that will give you a fair price on a used firearm anymore.

11-30-2012, 14:16
What, exactly, is a "fair" price.

fnfalman
11-30-2012, 16:24
What, exactly, is a "fair" price.

That's what I want to know from the gun owners.

What's "reasonable"? What's "fair"?

So, you want to sell off your Glock 17. It has no box, no manuals, no original anything but maybe an extra mag. How much do you think that the gun shop should offer you?

Consider that a brand new one is about $550.

HollowHead
11-30-2012, 16:30
If a gun store buys a used firearm for a "fair" price, what is he supposed to sell it at? HH

stolenphot0
11-30-2012, 16:39
I think it would take too much time to list used guns, not knowing how fast they will sell in store.

Spiffums
11-30-2012, 16:44
That's what I want to know from the gun owners.

What's "reasonable"? What's "fair"?

So, you want to sell off your Glock 17. It has no box, no manuals, no original anything but maybe an extra mag. How much do you think that the gun shop should offer you?

Consider that a brand new one is about $550.

$545.........cuz I can get $550 from a private sell because it's "off the books and no paper trail!" :rofl:

Dreamliner787
11-30-2012, 17:21
IMO most gun shops only offer about half of the market value of a used gun. Your gun is considered "used" as soon as you take possession and leave the gun store. So if you got a Glock pistol where the market price is $500, the gun shops will offer you $250 for it as well give you plenty of the reasons why their offer is so low.

jeepmann11
12-01-2012, 11:18
Fair price depends on the market. Say in your store you know you can sale a used glock 17 with one mag no box or paperwork for $450 to $475. A fair offer to me would be around $375 to $400 maybe even $425 if you have someone you know looking to buy one .

EdTracker
12-01-2012, 11:32
The gun store needs to at least double their money. They are taking the risk of not knowing how long it will take to sell, cost of store front, yada yada yada. Running a business with a store front is expensive.

If gun is new $550
Used price $450
Gun store offer $150 - 200.
Absolutely Best Possible Gun store offer $300

It's ugly and not far from the truth.

railfancwb
12-01-2012, 11:36
My LGS will handle my used gun on consignment for 10% of the proceeds. They will suggest a price which may move it, but the posted price is up to me.

Realistically a "used" gun (vs a "collectible" gun) might retail for 60% to 80% of new, depending upon appearance - and for handguns - presence or absence of factory packaging.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

kiole
12-01-2012, 11:39
Fair price depends on the market. Say in your store you know you can sale a used glock 17 with one mag no box or paperwork for $450 to $475. A fair offer to me would be around $375 to $400 maybe even $425 if you have someone you know looking to buy one .

You think a gun store can run on 5-10% margins on their used inventory? If a customer then buys the used gun with a credit card the gun store would actually break even..

HollowHead
12-01-2012, 12:57
I love these threads, as there is no more accurate indicator of who is self-employed and who will never be. HH

ICARRY2
12-01-2012, 13:13
Gunbroker?

FullClip
12-01-2012, 13:30
The gun store needs to at least double their money. They are taking the risk of not knowing how long it will take to sell, cost of store front, yada yada yada. Running a business with a store front is expensive.

:thumbsup:

Don't forget paying the help, utility bills, insurance, licensing fees, and a whole lot of other stuff. It's a tough buisness to get established and maintain.

Best way to keep from getting "screwed" when trading a gun at a gun store, is to sell your gun first and bring the cash to the store. Just like you, the owner of the store can't use your used gun to pay his bills and put food on the table for his family.

HexHead
12-01-2012, 13:45
Gun stores will typically look to make about 50% on used guns, since the margin is so low on new ones. A business needs to make about 30% margin to make it worthwhile for the owner to keep the doors open, unless it's a very high volume dealer.

HexHead
12-01-2012, 13:51
Best way to keep from getting "screwed" when trading a gun at a gun store, is to sell your gun first and bring the cash to the store. Just like you, the owner of the store can't use your used gun to pay his bills and put food on the table for his family.

I've done a lot of trades with gun stores and always felt like I got a fairer deal than if I was just trying to sell them my gun. We've taken into consideration what they have into the one they're selling, not necessarily what the selling price is.

fnfalman
12-01-2012, 13:59

Okay, let's assume that the market price for your used Glock 17 is $450. The shop offers you $375. That means the shop would make $75 on the sale. That means the shop would make 20% profit. From this 20% profit, the shop is suppose to pay the shop owner, shop employee, overhead (rent, utilities, insurance, taxes, etc.). And what happens if the used gun were to sit for two or three months because every other joe blow coming by looking at the gun and whined because it had scratches?

fnfalman
12-01-2012, 14:00
I love these threads, as there is no more accurate indicator of who is self-employed and who will never be. HH

One doesn't have to be self-employed to understand the financials of a business.

gjk5
12-01-2012, 14:00
the first mistake people make when calculating a "fair" price on ANYTHING is thinking that what they paid for the item has any bearing whatsoever.

"Fair" price on a gun has a lot of variables; the store's sales volume, the demand for the specific gun, the condition of the gun, the current price of a new one or even if it is still available and the shop's desire and ability to compete in used guns. Some places don't sell many, let the ones they do have sit because they want to pay half price and get 85% of new price. Like I said: lots of variables.

devildog2067
12-01-2012, 14:02
There is a difference between reasonable offer and low ball offer.

Only in your mind.

Rick C
12-01-2012, 14:18
If gun is new $550
Used price $450
Gun store offer $150 - 200.
Absolutely Best Possible Gun store offer $300

It's ugly and not far from the truth.

^ Agree.

Your avatar is and always will be disturbing.:wow:

HollowHead
12-01-2012, 14:35
One doesn't have to be self-employed to understand the financials of a business.

True, but those who don't will fail if they try. HH