Anyone Fly United Airlines w/ Firearms Recently? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Fly United Airlines w/ Firearms Recently?

mfena0720
11-30-2012, 10:40
I'm hoping someone has experience in dealing with United Airlines and how they handle travelers with handguns. I have read their policies (along with TSA guidelines) but am just curious if anyone ran into other unanticipated snags. I do plan on carrying copies of their policies in case I run into a ding dong.

What I'm most concerned about is their losing my guns. I plan on purchasing a hard-sided case, and taking along 2 maybe 3 handguns, no ammo. I'll just purchase ammo when I get to my destination. Also, if it matters, I'm flying from Cleveland Hopkins to Las Vegas McCarran airport. I know that some airports can have more fussy TSA or ticketing agents than others.

Any additional tips on flying with handguns would be much appreciated. Even if you have only flown with another airline, I'd like to hear how it turned out for you.

Thanks,
Emm

airmotive
11-30-2012, 10:50
Sounds like you've done your homework. The standard caveat applies: Beware of irregular operations. Flight re-routing/diversions to anti 2A cities (NYC, Chicago) can cause trouble if you're stuck there overnight and the airline insists on returning your luggage to you. But CLE to LAS should be snag free.

SRS
11-30-2012, 11:23
I traveled on United recently with a handgun from Dulles to Orlando. It went relatively smoothly. Make sure, however, that you leave yourself plenty of extra time. I had to wait in two lines for the one United employee that could apparently handle the request, and when I told her that I need to declare a firearm, she asked me if I wanted to carry it onto the plane. :faint: After a little discussion, everything got sorted out and turned out fine. The whole thing probably added 30-45 minutes to what it would otherwise take me.

You seem to have things covered with copies of policies, etc. I wouldn't worry at all about lost firearms. Just be patient and expect a little confusion and ignorance.

dvrdwn72
11-30-2012, 11:29
I flew from Tampa to Phoenix. Had no problems, I just followed all the guidelines and allowed myself an extra hour.

GLWyandotte
11-30-2012, 11:46
I've got to come back from Phoenix with 2 rifles in a few weeks. I'm dreading it.

Several weeks ago I faced the same dilemma with handguns. I may or may not have shipped them from a UPS Store. They may or may or may not have arrived safely at my house in 4 days.

Mushinto
11-30-2012, 13:03
Last time my wife and I flew united, the stewardess made us go back to our own seats.

justaguyhere
11-30-2012, 13:54
Traveling with guns isn't too bad if you get competent airport workers, which can be a challenge. I haven't flown Untied with mine, I prefer other airlines, but that's another thing altogether.

TSA will either send them through the x-ray machine or open them up for physical inspection (I've had both). Never use a TSA approved luggage lock, I used regular store-bought keyed padlocks. They are not supposed to have access to it once you give it to the baggage people. The airline may want to take a peek as well to make sure it's unloaded. I've flown with my pistol and my AR in the same case, it went pretty easily.

garyjandfamily
11-30-2012, 16:30
Print out and bring a copy of the TSA regulations, as well as United's regulations. This can really help you make sure that you get a knowledgeable agent, since you can educate them on the spot...

I was flying Delta with a handgun and 10 pounds of ammo. When I got to the counter, the agent told me that I could only take 5 pounds of ammo with me, I'd have to get rid of the rest. (I knew he was wrong) I politely asked him to point it out to me in the Delta regs, so I wouldn't make the mistake again. He read them to me "5 kilograms (11 pounds) of ammunition". He apologized, and I put everything on the plane. No harm no foul!

Tx-SIG229
11-30-2012, 16:41
last week wife and i flew from houston, tx to baltimore, md.... nuff said :/

larry_minn
11-30-2012, 16:46
I traveled on United recently with a handgun from Dulles to Orlando. It went relatively smoothly. Make sure, however, that you leave yourself plenty of extra time. I had to wait in two lines for the one United employee that could apparently handle the request, and when I told her that I need to declare a firearm, she asked me if I wanted to carry it onto the plane. :faint: After a little discussion, everything got sorted out and turned out fine. The whole thing probably added 30-45 minutes to what it would otherwise take me.

You seem to have things covered with copies of policies, etc. I wouldn't worry at all about lost firearms. Just be patient and expect a little confusion and ignorance.

I had the exact same thing happen to me. I finally got my gun (in suitcase) in belly of plane. BUT she gave me a form that I had to sign/have signed by each place along route. IIRC the ticket agent signed/dated/time/I did same and she got copy #1. TSA at metal detector got #2, Agent at gate got #3 (remember they all had to sign/date/time it) and I had to notify PILOT BEFORE I got on plane.
So I had to stop at door/request flight attendent give paperwork to Pilot, who called me to enter cockpit. (I figured that filled requirement of notification before entering plane) :0
Of course they all thought I was a LEO, Air Marshal.....Pilot was only one who asked question/coulnd't understand why I got the paperwork... (as I did NOT have gun/ammo on me of course)

As said its almost always no big deal. Get there early, Be calm, have printed out airline/TSA rules. Be CALM.
I like to put cord thru barrel/action (so clearly unloaded) mags empty (yes its legal to have mags loaded if in closed pouch but IMO not worth it) Any ammo I say is "In DOT approved boxes" and I tape/rubber band them so NO CHANCE of falling open. (loose ammo not allowed) I put handguns in hard sided case INSIDE my suitcase. Ideally attached to inside of suitcase. Make dang sure they do NOT put orange tag on outside of suitcase/mark it in ANY form as containing firearm.

Kingarthurhk
11-30-2012, 16:51
A bit more red tape, but I don't have any problems flying with it. And by with it, I mean on me.:supergrin: