Florida Teen Jordan Davis One of At Least 32 Youth Killed by CCW Killers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Florida Teen Jordan Davis One of At Least 32 Youth Killed by CCW Killers

HerrGlock
11-30-2012, 11:05
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/josh-sugarmann/florida-teen-jordan-davis_b_2218957.html

ThinkMud
11-30-2012, 11:08
hmm.. wonder how many teens killed by cars or drug overdoses as a comparison? i'm not a betting man, but I would guess way more.

Bren
11-30-2012, 11:08
If they were 32 innocent kids playing on the playground, that would still be an insignificant number.

They are 3 times as likely to be killed by a lightning strike.

However, I notice this list includes both criminals killed by victims and people killed in their home by family members, where concealed carry and the permit were not a factor.

EDIT: Sorry, I notice he covers a 5-year period...so they are about 15 times as likely to be killed by lightning.

Annoyedgrunt
11-30-2012, 11:16
Yes, I knew that good ol' Trayvon would get trotted out. Never mind the fact that he was in the process of beating the living hell out of GZ, maybe fatally if he hadn't got shot.

And that's the thing: the author never says WHY these kids were shot, just that they WERE. What was the back-story to the gas station incident? He makes it sound like it was "just because" of loud music. :upeyes:

dbcooper
11-30-2012, 11:18
The Huffington folks are morons, and in his car he didn't need the permit under Fl. law.

However I don't see this one going well for the shooter.

He claims there was a shotgun in the truck that was pointed at him, the 3 in the truck that lived say otherwise.
After shooting he drove 2 and one half hours south to his home in Satellite Beach instead of calling the law from nearby afterwards. Unless some other witness saw a gun pointed at him he's headed to prison.

HerrGlock
11-30-2012, 11:18
Oh, just as an oh by the way, remember that piece was written by one of two FFLs in Washington DC.

ThinkMud
11-30-2012, 11:32
"In the United States during 2009, 1,314 children ages 14 years and younger died as occupants in motor vehicle crashes, and approximately 179,000 were injured."

from this article: http://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/child_passenger_safety/cps-factsheet.html

Just saying...

Henry Kane
11-30-2012, 11:54
I'd bet that figure (32) is dwarfed by the number of responsible gun owners killed by criminal youths.

Someone should make a law against criminal youths.

racerford
11-30-2012, 12:15
It is useless without a comparison to the statistical rate for under 18 year olds killed by non-CHL holders.

Every study I have read on CHL holders is that they have a lower crime rate than the general population and even police.

Trayvon Martin should not have been on the list as it was supposed to be the number kill in not self defense instances. That case has not been ruled on.

Baba Louie
11-30-2012, 13:18
Meanwhile, Chicagos body count for the year is up to what... 460ish? With no CCWs at all mind you. I'd suspect one or two of the victims, not to mention the shooters, were yout's.

But thats off topic and not germaine to an article & discussion calmly based on licensed CCW holders murdering 32 innocent youuuthezz.

Some of which, I'm sure, were tragic.

oldman11
11-30-2012, 13:21
It is useless without a comparison to the statistical rate for under 18 year olds killed by non-CHL holders.

Every study I have read on CHL holders is that they have a lower crime rate than the general population and even police.

Trayvon Martin should not have been on the list as it was supposed to be the number kill in not self defense instances. That case has not been ruled on.
That's true, but you have to remember that these anti gun people twist the facts around to suit themselves; and in this case they just outright lie. And you have to remember that the biggest group of people that are against you owning and carrying guns are the criminals; they certainly don't want you being able to protect yourself.

nam02G
11-30-2012, 13:44
I almost didn't even click the link when I saw it went to the huffington post. Then almost didn't read the article when I saw the author was josh sugarman (use of lower case deliberate). After reading it I wish I had gone with my first instincts.

Detectorist
11-30-2012, 13:46
If they were 32 innocent kids playing on the playground, that would still be an insignificant number.

They are 3 times as likely to be killed by a lightning strike.

However, I notice this list includes both criminals killed by victims and people killed in their home by family members, where concealed carry and the permit were not a factor.

EDIT: Sorry, I notice he covers a 5-year period...so they are about 15 times as likely to be killed by lightning.

Especially in Florida, the lightning capitol of the U.S.

TK-421
11-30-2012, 13:52
Only 29 instances, with 32 bodies, over five years? I honestly think that isn't so bad. Think of how many die from drug overdoses every year. How many die in car accidents? How many commit suicide without using a gun?

I love it when people try and throw out random statistics, do everything they can to make them seem even worse than they are, and try to get people all riled up about them.

My aunt tried the same thing. She's a pharmacist, knows a lot about different prescription drugs and the medical field. She made a comment one time saying "If the number of people killed by guns every year were killed by one disease, it would be called a pandemic." In the one year I researched, I think it was 2009, I don't remember exactly though, there was something like 32,000 gun related deaths. But more than 50% of those were suicides with only the one person being injured. So that's about 15,000 I think that were gun on people violence. I don't remember the exact numbers, but those are close to what I think they were.

In that same year, 300,000 died from cancer.

It just goes to show how uneducated people are about guns and gun violence. The feeling I get, is most anti-gun people believe gun deaths are over half a million every year, or some silly number like that. When really, they're nowhere near as bad as disease, drugs, or car crashes. Especially when you only factor in non-suicide gun fatalities.

Bren
11-30-2012, 14:07
Check out the source for the article - across the board, the number of people killed by people with CCw permits is very small - 499...ever...in the whole country. Really?

http://www.vpc.org/ccwkillers.htm

I'm betting they don't publish the statistics on CCWers who use guns in legal self-defense, since it would dwarf that number.

They also asppear to count people from states that don't require a permit as CCWers. They list one guy as a "Concealed Carry Permit Holder, as they do in every story, but then say, "In Arizona legal gun
owners can carry concealed handguns without a permit."

Fox
11-30-2012, 14:19
Much of the media is just a propaganda machine for the progressive left. They want gun control legislation. It won't get past the Republican controlled House, but do pay close attention to Obama's future judicial appointments.

Bren
12-12-2012, 17:22
I just saw Jordan Davis' ,mother on Headline News.

She says she wants changes to Florida's Stand Your Ground law...

...keep in mind that the guy who killed her son has been charged with murder and 3 counts of attempted murder and it's pretty obvious "stand your ground" didn't apply.

Huh?

I guess the nuts figured they hadn't gone far enough with the old: "we need more laws, because people don't obey the ones we have" line. Now they've gone on to, "we need to change the laws we have, of things that don't involve those laws."

czsmithGT
12-12-2012, 17:27
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/josh-sugarmann/florida-teen-jordan-davis_b_2218957.html

Oh for Christ sake why don't these ivory tower morons go to Chicago or Detroit on a Saturday night? Maybe they would learn what real gun violence looked like and who were the perps.

hd67xlch
12-12-2012, 17:31
I just saw on the news here in FL we officially have 1 million active CWP holders, 1 in every 19 people in FL is what the news reported.

janice6
12-12-2012, 17:32
I wish they were as worried about the financial state of this country.

I bet that almost every driver that killed another person with a car, was driving with a valid drivers license. The criminals!