Ipad mini [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ipad mini

faceplant
11-30-2012, 11:51
Reviews from people here? Will it work as a reader also or should someone get a dedicated reader?
Thxs

jame
11-30-2012, 12:08
You bet it will. Just download the kindle app on the iPad and you're there.

Knighj1
11-30-2012, 12:09
Apple also offers thier own reader

whitetiger7653
11-30-2012, 12:27
I hear frank_drebin has one. :rofl::rofl:

Annoyedgrunt
11-30-2012, 12:31
I always considered an IPod to be an "IPad mini". :dunno:

Slug71
11-30-2012, 12:41
I think the Nexus 7 has better hardware.

The Machinist
11-30-2012, 12:49
Low-res screen. Over-priced.

ArrowJ
11-30-2012, 12:57
I have an iPad which I love. I dropped it on the garage floor and I love it a little less now. My next iPad will be the mini. The iPad is great. I use mine almost exclusively as my poor MacBook Pro sits rarely used, but I have found it cumbersome at times. I think the mini is just enough smaller to make it perfect. The smaller price tag is an added bonus. I will sell you my iPad 2 (not retina display) including the broken glass, tape, and cool stickers on the back for $100. Have the screen replaced for another $130-150 and you are set for $250 :)

Seriously though, when I do replace it, it will be with the smaller unit. You can read iBooks (Apple), Kindle ebooks (Amazon), Nook ebooks (Barnes and Noble), pdf ebooks, text documents, et al. It is like having all the ebook readers in one. I also use it for my forums via Tapatalk, my email, texting, games, drawing up plans projects I wish I had the skill to build, blogging, scheduling, maps, ballistic software, document and spreadsheet creation, eMagazines, Bible study, Facebook, Twitter, Skype, FaceTime, contact management, connecting to my MacBook Pro desktop and even the terminal (command line), image manipulation, Audio books, Netflix, ABC, NBC, et al, Chat, learning games for my daughter, and on and on. You can see why my computer does not get much use these days. My advice, buy one and enjoy.

ArrowJ
11-30-2012, 12:58
Low-res screen. Over-priced.

Not sure if you mean the Nexus or the iPad mini. The iPad mini is affordable priced and has a retina display that has higher resolution than the human eye can see.

faceplant
11-30-2012, 13:00
I am thinking of this as a gift. My friend has a Iphone. Would this be a reason to consider this or see what else is out there?

ArrowJ
11-30-2012, 13:06
If he has an iPhone it makes it an even better option! All of his files, contacts, ebooks, calendar, photos, bookmarks, etc. will be shared making it all the more convenient.

Marine123
11-30-2012, 13:20
I always considered an IPod to be an "IPad mini". :dunno:

Me too!! Lol

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

ryanm
11-30-2012, 13:24
Not sure if you mean the Nexus or the iPad mini. The iPad mini is affordable priced and has a retina display that has higher resolution than the human eye can see.

iPad mini does NOT have the retina display.

Mini:
7.9‑inch (diagonal) LED-backlit Multi‑Touch
display with IPS technology.
1024-by-768 resolution at 163 pixels per inch (ppi)

iPad with retina display:
Retina display
9.7‑inch (diagonal) LED-backlit Multi‑Touch display with IPS technology
2048-by-1536 resolution at 264 pixels per inch (ppi)

Santa CruZin
11-30-2012, 13:36

No it doesn't.

Knighj1
11-30-2012, 13:42
retina display is a glossed over term, the screen has a great picture, will everyone like it no, some are cheap and refuse to pay the money for the apple. You will love it

cgwahl
11-30-2012, 13:47
If he has an iPhone it makes it an even better option! All of his files, contacts, ebooks, calendar, photos, bookmarks, etc. will be shared making it all the more convenient.

Unless the specs have changed, the iPad mini is an iPad 2 with a smaller screen.

Deanster
11-30-2012, 16:01
I like the mini with LTE very well. The resolution of the retina screens is amazing, but I found the iPad 3 tough to live with - not as bright, kind of odd viewing angles, and the extra weight/bulk of the screen and the battery needed to drive it were an unwelcome compromise for me. I ended up going back to the iPad 2, which has now been replaced by the Mini - smaller, lighter, cheaper, and does the same jobs.

I use it mostly as a media device - reader, airplane movies, web surfing/research when out and about, as well as navigation.

I think the low-res screen thing is a distraction - the screen size, shape, and resolution are great for what I use it for, where the more 'widescreen' shape of other tablets I find really unpleasant in vertical orientation, which is how I use my tablet 70% of the time.

The iPad never replaced a laptop for me, and the Mini is a better companion or bridge between my iPhone and laptop - less than a pound WITH charger, very thin, small and easy to take places. All the goodness of the iPad 2 in 60% of the size. Runs 100% of iPad/iPhone apps.

Highly recommended.

G19Tony
11-30-2012, 16:35
I have a mini. It works great in the Cherokee, and that's why I got it. The reader works well too, as soon as I figured out you could increase the font size. :embarassed:

Retina shemetina, I can't tell the difference anyway. :tongueout:

ArrowJ
11-30-2012, 21:29
No it doesn't.

For all intents and purposes yes it does.

.264 magnum
11-30-2012, 21:34
I like the mini with LTE very well. The resolution of the retina screens is amazing, but I found the iPad 3 tough to live with - not as bright, kind of odd viewing angles, and the extra weight/bulk of the screen and the battery needed to drive it were an unwelcome compromise for me. I ended up going back to the iPad 2, which has now been replaced by the Mini - smaller, lighter, cheaper, and does the same jobs.

I use it mostly as a media device - reader, airplane movies, web surfing/research when out and about, as well as navigation.

I think the low-res screen thing is a distraction - the screen size, shape, and resolution are great for what I use it for, where the more 'widescreen' shape of other tablets I find really unpleasant in vertical orientation, which is how I use my tablet 70% of the time.

The iPad never replaced a laptop for me, and the Mini is a better companion or bridge between my iPhone and laptop - less than a pound WITH charger, very thin, small and easy to take places. All the goodness of the iPad 2 in 60% of the size. Runs 100% of iPad/iPhone apps.

Highly recommended.

My wife's company gave here a mini a couple of days ago. It's fabulous and fits in the size/utility progression just as you mentioned. It's really easy to hold in one hand and use.

BTW - my son has been offered acceptance into four medical schools so far. Your input from a few years ago about notes, scanning notes, scanning tests, papers and related file structures has been invaluable advice.

scwine
11-30-2012, 21:36
I think it is $100 overpriced. I just got my daughter a Nexus 7. I had all intentions on getting her the Novo Fire/Flame, but they were sold out when I looked. http://www.ainol-novo.com/ainol-novo-7-fire-android-tablet-pc-dual-core-1-5ghz-wifi-hd-2160p-dual-camera-bluetooth-16gb.html
Hard to beat those specs at the price, in fact it is impossible.

scwine
11-30-2012, 21:39

Wrong. The Ipad Mini does not have a retina display.

ArrowJ
11-30-2012, 21:41
I looked at the WRONG page earlier today on Apple's website. I thought I should double check my facts. It does not have a retina display. I was wrong, fortunately it happens enough that I always reserve the right to be wrong. Apologies.

scwine
11-30-2012, 21:44
I looked at the WRONG page earlier today on Apple's website. I thought I should double check my facts. It does not have a retina display. I was wrong, fortunately it happens enough that I always reserve the right to be wrong. Apologies.

No prob. I also overlooked the replies to your post. I didn't know it had been refuted prior to my reply. My bad as well.

ArrowJ
11-30-2012, 21:46
I think it is $100 overpriced. I just got my daughter a Nexus 7. I had all intentions on getting her the Novo Fire/Flame, but they were sold out when I looked. http://www.ainol-novo.com/ainol-novo-7-fire-android-tablet-pc-dual-core-1-5ghz-wifi-hd-2160p-dual-camera-bluetooth-16gb.html
Hard to beat those specs at the price, in fact it is impossible.

Specs are great, but only go so far. A computer with twice the "specs" of a MacBook Pro or even a Linux box that is running inferior software (read Microsoft) is just a faster piece of crap or at the best a faster machine that does not work as well as the slower machine does. In the case of tablets, I have seen fires, and nexus etc. They are great tech, but if I want great tech AND a superior experience I suggest an iPad (mini or otherwise).

Deanster
12-01-2012, 12:21
My wife's company gave here a mini a couple of days ago. It's fabulous and fits in the size/utility progression just as you mentioned. It's really easy to hold in one hand and use.

BTW - my son has been offered acceptance into four medical schools so far. Your input from a few years ago about notes, scanning notes, scanning tests, papers and related file structures has been invaluable advice.

Congratulations to you and your son! Great work!

I'm pleased to have been able to contribute a bit - thanks for mentioning it, that made my day!!!

certifiedfunds
12-01-2012, 12:54

Congrats 264! That's awesome!

ArtificialGrape
12-01-2012, 13:58
My Kindle 2 screen cracked (stuffing over-stuffed computer bag into overhead bin), and I haven't yet replaced it. I would have loved for the Mini to have included the retina display, but probably would not have allowed the Mini to be mostly competitively priced.

I've thought about the Nexus 7, but still undecided if I want to repurchase apps and deal with converting all the Apple purchased shows, or if I just go with the Mini.

-ArtificialGrape

Reissman
12-01-2012, 14:08
I have a wife and 3 teenage daughters we go thru a lot of iPad minis....

ArrowJ
12-01-2012, 14:11
My Kindle 2 screen cracked (stuffing over-stuffed computer bag into overhead bin), and I haven't yet replaced it. I would have loved for the Mini to have included the retina display, but probably would not have allowed the Mini to be mostly competitively priced.

I've thought about the Nexus 7, but still undecided if I want to repurchase apps and deal with converting all the Apple purchased shows, or if I just go with the Mini.

-ArtificialGrape

Do it! Nine out of ten atheists prefer Apple ;) Just kidding bro, I enjoy intelligent challenges to my faith. Why ArtificialGrape?

ArrowJ
12-01-2012, 14:13
I have a wife and 3 teenage daughters we go thru a lot of iPad minis....

That old SNL or Mad TV skit about the iPad (that predates the actual product I believe) is good fun. I have to admit I thought it was a stupid name, but iGot tired of the iEverything scheme a long time ago.

ArtificialGrape
12-01-2012, 14:37
Do it! Nine out of ten atheists prefer Apple ;) Just kidding bro, I enjoy intelligent challenges to my faith. Why ArtificialGrape?
Because it's the One True Flavor :)

-ArtificialGrape

ArrowJ
12-01-2012, 14:47
Lol :)

Resqu2
12-01-2012, 15:53
Well I played with a Mini today and I'm as big of a fanboy as there is but I think the mini feels cheap and plastic. It's nothing like its big brother. I have the IPad 3 and wouldn't buy the mini if I had money to burn. Now the new IMac with the fusion drive sure has my attention.

JoeInKS
12-01-2012, 15:56
My unbiased opinion:

If you have to have an iPad Mini, I would wait about 6 months for the revised version that should have the Retina display, improved processor, etc. Chances are that Apple would try to phase out the IPad Mini pretty quickly as it did the first gen IPad.

If you like form factor and really want something now, I would get the Google Nexus 7 tablet from Asus.

I went through the same decision process about 3 weeks ago when I decided I wanted a more mobile, smaller, lighter, manageable tablet than my IPad. After reading numerous reviews, testing, etc. I did wind up purchasing one. Reasons:

Cost - $199 versus $329 for the Mini (to,start)

Build Quality - Mini feels slick in comparison and requires an expensive cover to protect, reduce slickness, etc. The Nexus has a more grippy back that in my opinion does not need any protector. Nexus is very good for the money

OS - admittedly Apple's operating system seems more well thought out and refined since they have been at longer, can focus on their platform etc. The Nexus 7 runs Google's Android JellyBean 4.1(they may be shipping with 4.2.1 now though) which is pretty darn good for what it is intended to do. I received my unit and it mentioned that the update was released and I updated it. I was used to My IPad so it took me about 30 minutes to get familiar with the nuances of the Nexus including the System functions, settings, etc.

Multitasking - about equal

Speed - Nexus is faster at opening, accessing, etc. functions

Graphics - Nexus has noticeably sharper display

Sound - Speaker sound quality was on par with the Mini possibly slightly louder and a little crisper

Applications - iPad platform wins. There is more money potential in developing for the largest platform but for everything that I have wanted, it's been available on the Nexus

Battery - about the same running video and music

Cellular - 32Gb version of the Nexus is now available that has "4G" cellular for $299 versus Mini's cheapest at $450 for the 16Gb version

Warranty - same term. Google's support has been exceptional in a couple of question asked.

Update ability - since the Nexus runs an unbloated, non-vendor butchered version of Android and has Google's own name on it (Asus made for Google and they have a much better support record than most other companies concerning drivers, updates, etc.), I expect that it will receive far more updates than the Mini

Support Software To Load Stuff On It From a Computer - Hands down, Apple since it uses iTunes. Keep in mind though that if you are going to be reading books, purchasing media, you don't need iTunes. The Apple Store is more refined than the Google Store but the items available for consumption seem to be about the same. Oh yeah, can't buy AC/DC music in Google store (crying <- sarcasm)

Hipness - People will probably think someone is cooler with the Mini since Apple is a more 'hip' platform. The geeks will adore you though with the Nexus. They'll come out of the woodwork.

Well, I'm tired. Get the Nexus 7

ryanm
12-01-2012, 16:15
I would like a mini, but don't think it would replace my iPad 3.

Banned iPad mini Promo - YouTube

G23Gen4TX
12-01-2012, 16:48
I hear frank_drebin has one. :rofl::rofl:

Had one.

http://bossip.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/midget-mac2.jpg?w=500

Hamguy
12-01-2012, 17:58
For all intents and purposes yes it does.

Once again, NO IT DOESN'T.

syntaxerrorsix
12-01-2012, 18:50
Reviews from people here? Will it work as a reader also or should someone get a dedicated reader?
Thxs

A dedicate reader will have e-ink and serious battery life that no xPad will offer.

E-ink is far superior to back lit displays in regards to general readability and eye strain as well as energy use. The only downside is reading in unlit areas.

If you like reading books a dedicated e-reader is the way to go. If you want a larger platform for your apps and surfing get a tablet.

ArrowJ
12-02-2012, 09:11
Once again, NO IT DOESN'T.

I admitted I was wrong on this issue and apologized several posts ago.

ArrowJ
12-02-2012, 09:12
A dedicate reader will have e-ink and serious battery life that no xPad will offer.

E-ink is far superior to back lit displays in regards to general readability and eye strain as well as energy use. The only downside is reading in unlit areas.

If you like reading books a dedicated e-reader is the way to go. If you want a larger platform for your apps and surfing get a tablet.

Agreed, anyone that needs to read more than ten hours in a row without access to a power outlet should choose a dedicated reader.

HexHead
12-02-2012, 09:16
The iPad mini is affordable priced and has a retina display that has higher resolution than the human eye can see.

Nope. The Mini has the same resolution as the iPad2. Just looks sharper because the screen is smaller. But not a Retina screen.

ArrowJ
12-02-2012, 09:31
I give up.

jame
12-02-2012, 09:39
I give up.

Criminy.......

I don't blame you one thin bit. If this was a complex subject, it might be easy to overlook an obscure opinion. Yours wasn't. It was one factual point that you corrected.

I'm following you, though. I'm thinking of picking one up after Christmas, if funds allow.

brisk21
12-03-2012, 09:18
No retina display? So much for apples supposed "higher build quality". It will still sell like hotcakes since there is that pretty apple logo on it though.

ArrowJ
12-03-2012, 09:40
No retina display? So much for apples supposed "higher build quality". It will still sell like hotcakes since there is that pretty apple logo on it though.

It all comes down to experience. I prefer the Apple experience made up of iCloud, iOS, the Apple App Store, iTunes, etc. it is not perfect, but I prefer it. Others place more value on the best hardware experience that can be had without as much regard to the system it works in. There are plenty of ways to get a similar experience using non apple products, but it requires more hoops and inconsistency than I care for. I have played with the other devices and there are some good ones.

It is frustrating when hardware comes out that is not as good as we would like, but the truth is that anything you buy will be old school three months (or weeks or days) after you buy it. That is the nature of the beast. Buy the best experience you can that aligns with you preferences and do not look back. My iPhone 4 is getting old and has a broken back, mic, and button, but when my contract runs out I am getting another one exactly like it for $1. It has been a joy to use and I will wait another two years to get "the best". If a device does what you want it to do, and does it well it does not have to have the latest and greatest hardware available.

brisk21
12-03-2012, 12:55
It all comes down to experience. I prefer the Apple experience made up of iCloud, iOS, the Apple App Store, iTunes, etc. it is not perfect, but I prefer it. Others place more value on the best hardware experience that can be had without as much regard to the system it works in. There are plenty of ways to get a similar experience using non apple products, but it requires more hoops and inconsistency than I care for. I have played with the other devices and there are some good ones.

It is frustrating when hardware comes out that is not as good as we would like, but the truth is that anything you buy will be old school three months (or weeks or days) after you buy it. That is the nature of the beast. Buy the best experience you can that aligns with you preferences and do not look back. My iPhone 4 is getting old and has a broken back, mic, and button, but when my contract runs out I am getting another one exactly like it for $1. It has been a joy to use and I will wait another two years to get "the best". If a device does what you want it to do, and does it well it does not have to have the latest and greatest hardware available.

True. I agree. That is where apple shines. Their products work seamlessley with one another. I, however, have had great luck with my windows pc, mororola and samsung phones. They have also worked great together.

ArrowJ
12-03-2012, 13:20
I used to do the same thing, but decided to take the easy way out :) I try to get my parents to buy Apple too because I am so tired of trying to explain to them how to get everything to work together. There seems to be a much smaller learning curve for young kids and tech illiterate people with Apple stuff, wait what am I saying about myself :)

robrides85
12-07-2012, 14:17
There seems to be a much smaller learning curve for young kids and tech illiterate people with Apple stuff, wait what am I saying about myself :)

I spent over an hour this week helping a nice lady at work get an iPod Touch set up for her daugher (Christmas present) (lady uses Windows constantly for her job).

Then there's my mother, who had such difficulty with her MBAir that she actually attended those free workshops at Apple stores (she came from a Windows laptop and two years of iPhone use).

From this anecdotal evidence, it can be difficult for some to move from a PC to a Mac (was an irritating transition for me to use Microsoft Office (Powerpoint and Excel, particularly), and then using the "same" programs on a Macbook). But once a consumer is in the door, using iOS products? Find little to no difficulty in switching between using iOS and Android. Sample size: me coming from an iPod Touch to a Nexus 7, friends and relatives only familiar with iPhones/iPads that used/use my Nexus 7.

airmotive
12-07-2012, 15:16

My wife's company also gave her a mini a couple weeks ago. She uses it more than her iPad3 now. The size is spot-on.

Deanster
12-07-2012, 15:30
Agreed. I have the option of a shiny new iPad 4 or a mini, and I chose the mini very quickly and easily.

It might simply be my particular use-case that it's better for, but IMHO, the iPad mini is in many ways just a better idea than the iPad (which I liked a lot).

If you're looking for the thing most likely to replace your laptop, the full-on iPad 3/4 is the way to go - the larger and Retina resolution screen is excellent, and at 1.4 lbs, it's half the weight of a 13" Macbook air or other 3lb ultrabook. But it's also 75% the weight of an 11" MBA. Most people I know still carry a laptop when they go places, and also bring the iPad.

At under 1lb, even with the charger and cable, the Mini is a very easy choice to bring along, does all the 'media device' work of the full-size iPad very well, and performs acceptably at typing and other content-creation uses that you can use an iPad for.

For me, for 90% of uses, the Mini does as good a job as a full size iPad in about 60% of the weight and volume, and for the other 10%, I probably should have been using my laptop anyhow.

It fills the gap between smart phone and laptop more-effectively FOR ME than the iPad did.

It'll be interesting to see how the Mini evolves - it'll get a Retina display someday, but right now, Retina carries a high price in battery life or battery size, charging time, bulk, etc.

I don't expect to own a full-size iPad again until/unless Apple gets it back down to iPad 2 size/shape/weight. It's just too big for a reader.

Same story with all the 16:9 shaped devices, as well - just too top heavy when used vertically. Not even a huge fan of the iPhone 5 in this shape - it really balances funny in my hand. I like things to be high-spec, but as it turns out, I'll readily trade specs for something that's more pleasant to hold and use in my daily tasks.

airmotive
12-07-2012, 15:39

You might notice that the mini iPad uses all the hardware from the iPad2. Pure speculation on my part, but given Apple's insistance that there would NEVER be a smaller iPad, I'm thinking Apple was going to be stuck with a BUNCH of A5 processors and no place to put them....the result: a smaller iPad running older components. Hence, the low-res display.

Roger1079
12-07-2012, 16:01
Retina shemetina, I can't tell the difference anyway. :tongueout:I felt the same way a while back. Looking at them seperately, and it is difficult to tell a difference. Place them side by side and the difference is extremely noticeable. The main reason I upgraded from the iPad 2 to the iPad 3 is because i carry the iPad everywhere when I am on call for work. Remote Desktop is a must for this and the increased resolution of the iPad 3 makes viewing servers over RDP so much better. Also, the LTE makes the VPN connection so much smoother over the 3G. I do dislike the added thickness and weight over the iPad 2 but it was a worthwhile tradeoff for me.

brisk21
12-07-2012, 18:22
You might notice that the mini iPad uses all the hardware from the iPad2. Pure speculation on my part, but given Apple's insistance that there would NEVER be a smaller iPad, I'm thinking Apple was going to be stuck with a BUNCH of A5 processors and no place to put them....the result: a smaller iPad running older components. Hence, the low-res display.

Well I don't blame them. You could put that Apple logo on a bucket of piss and people would buy it......
I will say that even slightly "outdated" processors and screens is still excellent equipment and is completely useful for its intended purpose.

Bow Commander
12-08-2012, 10:53
Well I don't blame them. You could put that Apple logo on a bucket of piss and people would buy it......
I will say that even slightly "outdated" processors and screens is still excellent equipment and is completely useful for its intended purpose.

Only if the bucket of piss does what it's intended for very well, and does it every time it's needed. Lol

cgwahl
12-09-2012, 01:56
Only if the bucket of piss does what it's intended for very well, and does it every time it's needed. Lol

It'll be the prettiest bucket you've ever seen too. Possibly see through as well.

certifiedfunds
12-16-2012, 22:47
Agreed. I have the option of a shiny new iPad 4 or a mini, and I chose the mini very quickly and easily.

It might simply be my particular use-case that it's better for, but IMHO, the iPad mini is in many ways just a better idea than the iPad (which I liked a lot).

If you're looking for the thing most likely to replace your laptop, the full-on iPad 3/4 is the way to go - the larger and Retina resolution screen is excellent, and at 1.4 lbs, it's half the weight of a 13" Macbook air or other 3lb ultrabook. But it's also 75% the weight of an 11" MBA. Most people I know still carry a laptop when they go places, and also bring the iPad.

At under 1lb, even with the charger and cable, the Mini is a very easy choice to bring along, does all the 'media device' work of the full-size iPad very well, and performs acceptably at typing and other content-creation uses that you can use an iPad for.

For me, for 90% of uses, the Mini does as good a job as a full size iPad in about 60% of the weight and volume, and for the other 10%, I probably should have been using my laptop anyhow.

It fills the gap between smart phone and laptop more-effectively FOR ME than the iPad did.

It'll be interesting to see how the Mini evolves - it'll get a Retina display someday, but right now, Retina carries a high price in battery life or battery size, charging time, bulk, etc.

I don't expect to own a full-size iPad again until/unless Apple gets it back down to iPad 2 size/shape/weight. It's just too big for a reader.

Same story with all the 16:9 shaped devices, as well - just too top heavy when used vertically. Not even a huge fan of the iPhone 5 in this shape - it really balances funny in my hand. I like things to be high-spec, but as it turns out, I'll readily trade specs for something that's more pleasant to hold and use in my daily tasks.

I picked up a mini a week ago and agree with everything you say here.

My ipad 2 had worn out its welcome. It had no real use other than watching movies on a plane. The size of the mini is perfect and I'm finding myself using it several times per day.