Newbie question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question

chuck11976
11-30-2012, 11:51
I just finished reloading my very first 100 cartridges of 10mm. I am brand new to reloading so this was actually my first reloading ever. I've been reading the forums and studying my manuals for quite a while and I finally felt comfortable to go ahead and dive in, so I did. I bought the Lee 50th Anniversary kit and the 10mm dies including the factory crimp die. After some fiddling, I got all my dies dialed in just right and did a few dummy loads with no powder or primer. Checked for my OAL, crimp, etc. All looked good so I went for it. I checked every single powder charge for each round and they were all within .2gr of where I wanted to be. Okay, so here's my load data. I used Berry's copper plated 155gr bullets, CCI 300 primers, Starline brass, and Accurate #9 powder. According to Modern Reloading second edition data, starting grains are 13.5 grains of #9 for 1206 fps with an OAL of 1.260. I loaded 50 rounds with 13.2-13.5 and the next 50 with 13.8-14.1. Would these loads be okay? And now the big question.... 4 out of the 100 rounds measure BELOW 1.260 OAL. These 4 measure between 1.256-1.259. Are they safe at these OAL's? I know I'm probably being a bit too paranoid but I'm a virgin reloader here and I just wanna be safe before I go experimenting or even deviate from book specs. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

WeeWilly
11-30-2012, 12:00
The OAL is fine, although when you see an OAL that is part of a published load, that is meant to be a minimum OAL. In the case of your AA#9, going slightly under won't make a difference.

Berry's has a few different plating thicknesses. I think the 155gr bullets are the thinner kind which Berry's wants loaders to keep below 1250fps, so if you start getting plating separation you will need to back things down load wise. They make a thicker plated bullet in the 165gr varients that will allow you to push things up some, or just get some Precision Delta JFP's and go as fast as you want.

chuck11976
11-30-2012, 12:14
Yes you're right. I did read the Berry's speed limit data of 1250 fps max. My worry, perhaps premature, is that those rounds being BELOW min OAL may cause too much pressure. But I'm new so I don't really know.

WeeWilly
11-30-2012, 13:01
Yes you're right. I did read the Berry's speed limit data of 1250 fps max. My worry, perhaps premature, is that those rounds being BELOW min OAL may cause too much pressure. But I'm new so I don't really know.

A few thousandths isn't going to matter, even with an uber fast powder in a tight case. With #9, you are fine as it is a very slow (as pistol powders go) powder.

Taterhead
11-30-2012, 14:33
It is pretty tough to get enough A9 in the case under a midweight projectile to cause pressure concerns when a slightly shorter OAL -- even for plated bullets that tend to run with a bit higher pressure compared to jacketed bullets.

In the future, I would not recommend loading so many testers. I load 10 each at various charge weights and whatever other variables I want to test (COL, primer, crimp, etc). In that way you might find what works and what doesn't. I have had plenty of instances where I have returned from the range to have a date with my bullet puller.