"SC man dies in shooting range accident" [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : "SC man dies in shooting range accident"

LASTRESORT20
11-30-2012, 12:54
Be Careful!:

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=I.4512091589642008&pid=15.1

COLUMBIA A Columbia man died in a what appears to be a tragic shooting range accident.

Jerry Marsh III, 62, was shot in the chest when his 40-caliber Glock semi-automatic handgun accidentally discharged at a West Columbia gun range Thursday evening, Lexington County Coroner Harry Harman said.
Marsh was dismantling the weapon at Shooter’s Choice around 7 p.m. when it fired. He was taken to Palmetto Health Richland but died from the injury.

`The incident remains under investigation by the West Columbia Police Department.
It has been more than a decade since someone died at the range, the police department said. One shooting was an accident similar to Thursday’s. The only other death was a suicide......"

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/11/30/3697597/sc-man-dies-in-shooting-range.html

KennyFSU
11-30-2012, 12:56
I'm curious as to where he was hit and why the muzzle was pointing anywhere near his body, tragic nonetheless.

PBR Sailor
11-30-2012, 12:59
I'm curious as to where he was hit and why the muzzle was pointing anywhere near his body, tragic nonetheless.

I have the same questions. I am going to use this as another example when I teach safety classes.

ChuteTheMall
11-30-2012, 12:59

1st post says he was hit in the chest.

Why was he trying to dismantle it?

LASTRESORT20
11-30-2012, 13:02
1st post says he was hit in the chest.

Yup exactly...interesting...

USMCsilver
11-30-2012, 13:03

.357 Sig barrel for it?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Slug71
11-30-2012, 13:18
Couple big things ignored here.

1. He obviously didn't check/clear his weapon properly.

2. Why was the weapon facing him and not down range?!

So many sad incidents like this that could be easily avoided.

First thing I always tell someone that I take shooting is, "ALWAYS TREAT A GUN LIKE ITS LOADED, POINT AT NOBODY".

TK-421
11-30-2012, 13:33
Why was the weapon pointing at his chest? Why didn't he check to make sure his firearm was unloaded? Why wasn't the weapon pointed down range? Why was he taking it apart?

Yes, it is sad that something like this happened, and I won't be surprised if there's uproar from the uneducated masses that will want to close all gun ranges to prevent accidents like this. But I think this one rests squarely on the shoulders of the man who died. This is exactly why we stress using your head and being smart about firearms, because when you do stupid **** and make mistakes, you run the risk of killing people. It just happened that this time it was the man with the gun, instead of someone else.

elsolo
11-30-2012, 13:38
Sounds like a suicide trying to look like a cleaning accident.

Glock20 10mm
11-30-2012, 13:38
The real question is not why was he trying to dismantle the gun but why he didn't visually verify the chamber was clear AND keep the muzzle pointed down range?

Dragoon189
11-30-2012, 13:40
Suicide with life insurance is my bet

RichJ
11-30-2012, 14:59
I can't picture a dismantleing procedure that has the muzzle pointing at your chest at any time.

Either this guy was a total tard who had no business with a loaded gun, or it was intentional.

He could have been trying to clear a jam or something. Kind of like when someone gets a slide jam and they start banging it on the bench to free it? I love that one.

OrangePwr9
11-30-2012, 16:54
Yes, it is sad that something like this happened, and I won't be surprised if there's uproar from the uneducated masses that will want to close all gun ranges to prevent accidents like this.

TK, you're blaming the wrong group. It's not the uneducated masses we have to fear. It's the educated masses who stoop to dishonesty to make slaves of everyone else.

Kingarthurhk
11-30-2012, 17:13

I believe it said he was 62 years old. It might have been that his upper body strength had diminished, and he brought the weapon closer in for a "push/pull" technique. It is usually a technique taught to some women for the same reason. However, the results can be rather nasty if you have your finger on the trigger, and the barrel gets torqued inward.

Crazy KD
11-30-2012, 18:00
I have heard the man was attempting to clean his firearm and shot himself in the chest. I was just in there last weekend shooting at the range when I was home visiting family for Thanksgiving.

What is interesting is there is nothing in the local media.

Correction...it did make the local paper.
http://www.thestate.com/2012/11/30/2538525/columbia-man-killed-in-shooting.html

janice6
11-30-2012, 18:02
Guns always fire when the trigger is pressed. It's one of the good things about guns.

Averageman
11-30-2012, 18:08
Never wear a shirt with an optic retical to the gun range like the guy in the picture, thats just asking for it.

ChuteTheMall
11-30-2012, 21:48
Never wear a shirt with an optic retical to the gun range like the guy in the picture, thats just asking for it.

He's got ceramic plates and duct tape, no worries.

TK-421
11-30-2012, 22:13
TK, you're blaming the wrong group. It's not the uneducated masses we have to fear. It's the educated masses who stoop to dishonesty to make slaves of everyone else.

And the uneducated masses who allow it to happen. :tongueout:

PhotoFeller
11-30-2012, 22:42
We've been reading a lot recently about skyrocketing gun sales, and the demand for firearms has actually been going up for years. This increase in popularity and the response to fear of tougher gun laws also means there are lots of new gun owners who lack experience and knowledge.

This case might have been carelessness or lack of knowledge of the gun handling rules most of us live by. I fear there will be more risk at public ranges as newcomers step to the firing line without knowing much more than what the gun salesman showed them.

JimIsland
11-30-2012, 22:51
We've been reading a lot recently about skyrocketing gun sales, and the demand for firearms has actually been going up for years. This increase in popularity and the response to fear of tougher gun laws also means there are lots of new gun owners who lack experience and knowledge.

This case might have been carelessness or lack of knowledge of the gun handling rules most of us live by. I fear there will be more risk at public ranges as newcomers step to the firing line without knowing much more than what the gun salesman showed them.

Good post.... This thread will have 5000 posts about why this and why that. Odds are in favor that he was inexperienced and made a fatal mistake...literally. Sad

*ASH*
11-30-2012, 23:07
i was in gun store today , rack full of AR'S , the guns are attached by cords so no one can run out with one , this idiot has it and pointing around the room , acting like shooting :steamed::steamed:

now that rifle barrel swooped by our heads twice before i yelled at him . gun shop owner made him leave , we had some words but i was pissed .

the owner apologized to us and other folks there , but damn it made me so mad.

PhotoFeller
12-01-2012, 09:18
i was in gun store today , rack full of AR'S , the guns are attached by cords so no one can run out with one , this idiot has it and pointing around the room , acting like shooting :steamed::steamed:

now that rifle barrel swooped by our heads twice before i yelled at him . gun shop owner made him leave , we had some words but i was pissed .

the owner apologized to us and other folks there , but damn it made me so mad.

Most of what these people have 'learned' about gun handling has come from TV and movies.

We have to be more vigilant at our ranges to spot careless shooters. Range officers or gun shop managers will have to decide how to handle each situation we point out to them. We always have the option to leave the scene after expressing our concerns.

M&P15T
12-01-2012, 09:22
Little something I learned not too long ago.

News papers and other media sources routinely report suicides as accidents, to protect the families.

This is quite possibly a suicide being reported as an accident.

IhRedrider
12-01-2012, 11:47
There are no accidental discharges, only negligent discharges.

cowboy1964
12-01-2012, 12:52
There are no accidental discharges, only negligent discharges.

I suppose one could say a faulty gun is still a negligent discharge because someone somewhere at the gun factory screwed up, but...

sappy13
12-01-2012, 20:30
i cant think of any reason why i might point the muzzle at my chest while taking apart or cleaning a handgun. plus, why would you try to dismantle it with a magazine in it?

TK-421
12-01-2012, 20:35
i cant think of any reason why i might point the muzzle at my chest while taking apart or cleaning a handgun. plus, why would you try to dismantle it with a magazine in it?

Don't need a magazine in it to have a round in the chamber.

captcurly
12-01-2012, 23:37
Sounds like a suicide trying to look like a cleaning accident.
Elsolo, I am with you on this one. An investigation will determine if he was depressed or had some serious health issue.Glad nobody else was injured.

cdog533
12-02-2012, 01:06
LOTS of guns out there. People are going to make handling errors once in a while.

We demand that everyone (basically) has the right to buy and carry a gun. Well, not everyone is smart... or careful. So, we shouldn't be surprised when someone pops themself. Yet, we always are.

Some guns, like a Beretta 92 or a Sig 226, have enough levers and buttons to confuse the typical non-gun person. I think we'll see more and more of this as shall-issue laws help dumb people get possession of a fairly complicated little machine.

carbon_15
12-02-2012, 07:37
Just conjecture here,
But I have watched enough new Glock owners fumble with the small and hard to grip takedown levers to see how you could get it pointed at yourself without realizing it. Couple that with the all too common mistake of racking the slide THEN dropping the mag to "unload" and it becomes quite understandable how this could happen.