Getting into a First-Time Trucking Job; thoughts? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Getting into a First-Time Trucking Job; thoughts?

Jade Falcon
11-30-2012, 18:13
Hi folks,

So a part of me has always wanted to be a Commercial Trucker, ever since I was little. I'm single, with no family dependent on me, so I imagine, with good hours, I could make some pretty good money.

Here's the thing: I know absolutely nothing about truck-driving, or getting a CDL. I would like to get a Class A endorsement, but again: I have no idea how to go about doing it.

In the neighboring city of Portland, Oregon (I'm a WA resident), there's quite a few schools, but is there anything that I should look out for specifically?

I am open to suggestions and comments. Remember: I'm a complete noob at this, so please use layman terms.

How does a noob like me normally go about getting hired on with a company? Should I sign up with a company first and then let them train me? Or, should I go to a Truck-Driving School and then get hired on with a company?

I don't know!

Thanks everyone!

VC-Racing
11-30-2012, 18:37
I have 21 yrs of trucking under my belt. If I could find something else right now I would give it up . Don't get me wrong, I've had some great times on the road, but with the way things are now, the days are long gone. Trucking is a cut throat industry that looks like unicorns and rainbows on the outside , but is a cold bitter harsh ***** on the inside .
If you go driving school route and allow a company to cover your cost , you'll be in a 2 yr contract that will make you a slave to them. If you break the contract the buyout will be 2 times the average cost.

devildog2067
11-30-2012, 18:40
So a part of me has always wanted to be a Commercial Trucker, ever since I was little. I'm single, with no family dependent on me, so I imagine, with good hours, I could make some pretty good money.

Let's start from the beginning: what do you consider "some pretty good money"?

jrd22
11-30-2012, 19:04
Gotta agree with VC above. The average long haul driver now is nothing compared to 20 years ago, seems like most don't even speak English let alone know how to drive the rig they're in. We used to train guys at my company and get them their CDL-B so they could drive our trucks, but those days are gone, you pretty much need to pay a school a bunch of money and then go try to find a job that won't pay much. As always, there are exceptions, but in general it's a hard row to hoe.

jp3975
11-30-2012, 19:07
I looked into it a while back. Made a thread too.

Id avoid it. Unless you can get a local route you'll be on the road for 3 weeks at a time then get a few days off.

Want to go to your kids/whoever's birthday or a funeral? They may not let you. How could they stop you? Cancel your gas card until you agree to take another load that would make you miss it. Funeral thing happened to a guy my dad knew and he just had to miss it. Birthday thing happened to another guy my dad knew, and he got pissed, left the truck at a truck stop and flew home.

The money really isnt that good considering the hours because you are never really off. When youre "off" while on the road, youre still stuck in the truck so you cant do what you want to do.

If you're still interested...like the others said, some companies will pay your way, but you become their slave for two years. With some companies its just a loan.

It's usually under 2k for school...just pay it yourself.

One other thing...in my state[AR], you can go to the unemployment office and sign up for a govt program that will provide you with food, housing, and schooling[if accepted] to be a truck driver. Other states may have the same incentives.

Lone Wolf8634
11-30-2012, 19:13
I have 21 yrs of trucking under my belt. If I could find something else right now I would give it up . Don't get me wrong, I've had some great times on the road, but with the way things are now, the days are long gone. Trucking is a cut throat industry that looks like unicorns and rainbows on the outside , but is a cold bitter harsh ***** on the inside .
If you go driving school route and allow a company to cover your cost , you'll be in a 2 yr contract that will make you a slave to them. If you break the contract the buyout will be 2 times the average cost.

18 years here. Last time I looked (and admittedly, it's been a while) trucking schools cost upwards of $6K. Several companies have their own schools, but like VC-Racing said, you're an indentured servant till you stay for the contracted time. Swift, C.R. England, Werner and J.B.Hunt all had schools last I knew.

No company will hire you without a CDL school nowadays so if ya wanna make this your life, you'll have to choose which way to go, company schools or student loans and commercial schools.

A word of warning: OTR trucking is a job, with lousy hours, lousy pay and lousy working conditions. It ain't Smokey and the Bandit out there, there aren't pretty women looking for you to "take them away from all this". You eat rotten food, gain weight, spend all your time away from home, live under pressure every day and after a few decades of this your left old, overweight with high cholesterol, a bad heart, a beaten body and no skills to go do something else.

Now, having said that, if you're comfortable being alone for long periods of time, got an itch to travel and can supervise yourself, well, trucking's a blast for a while.

I trained drivers just coming out of school for 8 years, taught 'em how to flatbed. Maybe 1 in 10 actually stayed with it and made a career out of it. You'll either love it, or you'll hate it, but you won't know which till ya do it.

I'm gone
11-30-2012, 19:33
Reading the post above, even though right on the spot, made me think that was what all the old drivers were saying when I started driving back in 1984. When I started I was excieted to see what the rest of the world looked like, couldn't wait to get out of town, loved and hated parts of it, but now that I'm older I would not want to go back to being told what to do and how to do everything from some guy at a desk. I run my own company and get to do things the way I think they should be done and make as much in a month as some make in a year! That was my goal so time put in before had a purpose as a learning time. Depends on what you expect to get from the job, seeing the country, your bored with you current job, your town blows and it's time to go, or you have the desire to start your own transport company. I can tell you I've meet several drivers(I even had a job like this once) who barely make a living,not all companies give you all the miles you can handle so ask other drivers that work for the place you are thinking of working at what they think, before you sign up. Some driving jobs are great and pay good and like everything others are not, just try and do your research first.

NH Trucker
11-30-2012, 19:51
I wouldn't go over the road. You'll have to kiss a lot of ass with the dispatchers to get enough loads to make a decent living, and you're competing with a lot of other drivers out there for the same loads. If you don't kiss the dispatchers asses, they'll have you sitting in one place for a week or two. Then there are the times you'll be running in the desert or the south in the summer, and your AC won't be working, and you'll be sweating it out trying to get a few hours of sleep when you're parked. If your cab AC isn't working, you can't let the truck idle to run the regular AC, because the trucks these days are all hooked up to computers and the bosses can see when you've been idling for more than a few minutes, and they do get pissy about that.

If driving is what you want to do, go through a school and get your class A, along with HAZMAT and tanker (opens up a lot more opportunities), and see about getting in with a local company. With those endorsements, living up in the northwest, you could get into a company hauling heating oil, which as I'm told pays alright. Most companies won't hire you without a certain number of years driving, so you can either go over the road for a couple years to get the driving experience, or you can get into a small local company running a box truck for **** pay. Either way, it's going to be tough for at least a few years until you can get into a better paying local company.

A buddy of mine spent a year with Werner. All I can say is avoid that company like it's the plague.

I went a different route. I got my CDL driving a car hauler for a local car auction (job I fell into, crap pay). After a year with them, I got in with a local meat and provisions company, driving a box truck and delivering to restaurants, grocery stores, and butcher shops. It was an hourly paying job, which was better than one that payed by the mile for a delivery route, but it was basically economy driven. When I started there in 2006 I made $35K my first year. But after that the economy went to crap and I made less and less each year. As of when I left there in mid October, I was looking at a total of $29K for this year.

Seven years of CDL driving, and maintaining a clean(ish) driving record, I got into another local company, driving a class B truck, and delivering sodas and beer, and I'm now looking at making $45K-$50K a year. So if you tough it out, you can make a living out of driving.

Another point of interest, another friend of mine works for the company that delivers Thomas' English muffins. He doesn't need a CDL, drives a small UPS style box truck delivering bread, and he's making $55K-$60K. The catch is his is a union shop.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. :wavey:

glock_19guy1983
11-30-2012, 19:51
They dont call starter trucking companies "bottom feeders" for nothing. Personally if I were you I would just drop the whole thing.

vart
11-30-2012, 19:58
I held a class B for over a decade, with hazmat and tanker endorsements. I drove class A rigs while in the army, hauling 100k lb loads down 8% grades in the mountains.

I owned and operated my own dump truck, but I gave up my class B a couple of years ago.

Why would I need to go to a school if I wanted to get my class A? I'm sure I could pass any class A test they have... Or does the state require you complete a school before you get your class A?

RedTop
11-30-2012, 20:17
Since you have no reason to be home I say go for it. At the least you can always switch to something else since you have no dependents.

I wish you luck with whatever you decide.

Truck Driving Man by Boxcar Willie - YouTube

wheelsoffreedom76
11-30-2012, 21:48

scwine
11-30-2012, 21:57
http://www.siriusxm.com/roaddogtrucking

Gallium
11-30-2012, 23:13
Let's start from the beginning: what do you consider "some pretty good money"?

and money does not by any stretch outweigh the negatives that come with sitting on the old adipose reservoir all day...

larry_minn
12-01-2012, 00:39
If you want a job where you get home every evening before 6pm, Local runs, $80k+ a yr forget it. (unless your sister is married to owner of company) :0

Look at jobs with smaller fertilizer/coop/etc. They will pay for training/cert/health card and you will only have to commit to one season. Consider other jobs to get training.
There is local trucking company I deal with. He has dozen trucks, bunch of owner/operators working for him. (I have no idea how many trailers) flatbed, grain, refer,box....
He has some guys who clean trailers, fix minor stuff, and then he pays for them to get CDL (not school but pass road test/use of truck/trailer) then they can take local runs if driver does not show/sick/has funeral/wedding/etc.
Some of them move up to buying tractor, and stay hired on.

IF you get to be Owner/operator and want a REAL sleeper that you can live in drop me a line. I am kinda/almost involved in what I call the RV of sleepers. We are talking up to 12' long, tv/stove/oven/microwave/stool/shower.....

Detectorist
12-01-2012, 01:06
Being away from 'home' would not bother me one bit. The other stuff...well..

DrMaxit
12-01-2012, 02:35
My pops was a truck driver for "Carolina Cargo" for a while. He told me that if I ever wanted to be a truck driver he'd whoop my ass.

glockman97420
12-01-2012, 11:13
I went the trucking school route. While you are there, recruiters come and pitch their companies to you. I was under 25, so my choices were limited depending on their insurance policies. I ended up choosing Werner. I went through their training program, and flew back home. I missed my wife and baby too much to make it a career. Most companies pay by the mile. If you are sitting while they find a load, no pay. Broke down, no pay. I thought shippers and receivers would be a lot more respectful than they were. The government rules for drivers tend to make you drive when you're tired, and park when you're not, depending on when you get your load. Need to pay a toll, or buy an extra permit? Pay out of your own pocket then the company will reimburse you later. I liked the driving part of the job, but all of the other things assosciated with it just made it not worth it to me.

Jake514
12-01-2012, 12:03
18 years here. Last time I looked (and admittedly, it's been a while) trucking schools cost upwards of $6K. Several companies have their own schools, but like VC-Racing said, you're an indentured servant till you stay for the contracted time. Swift, C.R. England, Werner and J.B.Hunt all had schools last I knew.

No company will hire you without a CDL school nowadays so if ya wanna make this your life, you'll have to choose which way to go, company schools or student loans and commercial schools.

A word of warning: OTR trucking is a job, with lousy hours, lousy pay and lousy working conditions. It ain't Smokey and the Bandit out there, there aren't pretty women looking for you to "take them away from all this". You eat rotten food, gain weight, spend all your time away from home, live under pressure every day and after a few decades of this your left old, overweight with high cholesterol, a bad heart, a beaten body and no skills to go do something else.

Now, having said that, if you're comfortable being alone for long periods of time, got an itch to travel and can supervise yourself, well, trucking's a blast for a while.

I trained drivers just coming out of school for 8 years, taught 'em how to flatbed. Maybe 1 in 10 actually stayed with it and made a career out of it. You'll either love it, or you'll hate it, but you won't know which till ya do it.

This post and several others sum it up well. I went to driving school ~1973 and worked full time hauling oversize loads, was a steel jockey, ran coast-to-coast in a team operation, etc. and also worked under the Master Freight Hauler Agreement (Teamsters) many years. It was marginal back then and I would not encourage it today. I saw things going downhill and quit to put myself through school to learn a real skill (Yes, good driving is a skill, but many do not appreciate it. Almost any reasonable person can handle a truck on a flat, dry, road with a little practice, but add in exhausted driving (stamina needed) for long stretches on mountains in black ice in the wind and rain with a top-heavy load, windshield froze up and wipers not working, transmission jumping out of gear, etc. year in and year out and it will better test your skill.). It payed well and I was very appreciative and glad to have the job, but I wanted to get a decent paying job for years to come AND not be at the mercy of being lucky in getting hired or in the hiring line at the right place at the right time.

Bruce M
12-01-2012, 12:25
My brother drove a truck for part of a year and he decided that there had to be a better way to make a living.

Annoyedgrunt
12-01-2012, 12:33
Couldn't pay me enough to drive truck. I don't know how you guys do it. :wow:

I get the whole wanting to travel and see the country and get out of town. I just couldn't stand the sitting down all day part, feeling my arteries harden from constant greasy spoon/fast food (because, let's face it, what else is there to eat on the road?)

And what is the difference between on-the-road and over-the-road trucking?

Sgt. Schultz
12-01-2012, 14:49
I don't know if drivers have to load/unload their trailers but I loaded one ... once, about 30 years ago. I never realized how big the inside of a trailer is until I had to load one ... and I never did it again. I loaded small boxes of shrimp, wall 2 wall and 12" from the top.

larry_minn
12-01-2012, 15:31
I don't know if drivers have to load/unload their trailers but I loaded one ... once, about 30 years ago. I never realized how big the inside of a trailer is until I had to load one ... and I never did it again. I loaded small boxes of shrimp, wall 2 wall and 12" from the top.

When I did it (for just a yr) I had to move load to rear of trailer to unload, and from door to storage. Most places were willing to work with you. I.E. drive forklift into trailer as far as you wanted (you are responsible for load distribution) Its VERY possible to overload drivers/underload steering and be well under 80k.
Now IF a pallet shifted I then had to unload it to empty pallet, to point it was moveable with forklift. (that was spuds)
IF you get good backing trailers you can pick up extra $$$ for drivers that couldn't back up to save a life with 3 hrs.
It is true its dang hard to back up from pass side/around corner....

VC-Racing
12-01-2012, 17:05

Back when I was in high school, I had the pleasure of loading watermelons onto a TT. Van trailers are very long.... :eek:

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

9jeeps
12-01-2012, 17:54
7 years behind a windshield. Finally my brain shut down and said, "ENOUGH!!!!!" God what a miserable life it was. YMMV! And I was on Hoopy and short haul. Home every night.
OTR was out of the question.

Jade Falcon
12-01-2012, 18:51
Oiy....*facepalm*

Gotta tell you boys...this is not what I wanted to hear.

Let me make something clear: I don't give a rat about anything but the $$$! I'll do anything for money right now. If I have to put up with crappy dispatchers telling me to kiss thier ass, I'll gladly pucker up.

That being said, let me tell you how I arrived at this:

2 weeks ago, I was at the local gun show. For the past 5 years, I've been unemployed and on SSI/D. It barely pays the rent of my small one room apartment. I have had to learn to budget everything very carefully. It's taught me to be very frugal with my money, which is a good skill that everyone should have. I got into this after a melt-down at work (Private Security), and a bout of depression. I'm in bi-weekly counselling with 2 people (one Doctor, one counselor), and every 3 months I see a medicine Doctor to keep my prescriptions up.

I am not proud of this lifestyle. It's not fun waking up everyday in a slump, feeling sorry for yourself and watching non-cable TV.

While at this gunshow, I was walking away with a Pro-Mag for my AK-47, which had a listed price of $11. I had to open my wallet and haggle for the last remaining $10 I had.

Then I was broke. While walking away with the magazine, I stopped....and it all hit me at once. All the 5 years I've wasted, sitting around, sucking up SSI/D. Being poor. Looking around at all the tables at all the things I couldn't have because I don't have the money....and having to haggle over a $11 purchase.

I almost wanted to cry. But instead, as my counselor told me, I "hit rock bottom".

So, let's look at what I have, and don't have: I have Private Security experience, both Armed and Unarmed. IF I did go back to PS (it's highly unlikely), I wouldn't go back to being Unarmed. No way. The problem with that is there is only one company in this area that allows you to be an onsite while Armed, but it's strictly a Graveyard Shift job only. That is not gonna happen. That's a small part of the reason I went crazy in the first place: too long working Graveyard with several different companies. That, and I didn't leave my last position with this company well with my meltdown.

So...the other choice I considered was to go with an Armored Car company. But I just don't know enough about this job either. That, and I need something better than $12/hr with my current lifestyle, just to be comfortable. I don't want to live paycheck to paycheck. Did it for years (hell, I'm doing it now!), and it's not fun. If anything, it's very depressing.

So...I have no college experience, and I have absolutely no desire to go back (I've already dropped out of community college...twice). I didn't enjoy it, and I learned absolutely NOTHING that I didn't already know from HighSchool.

Now, my dillema is getting into something I enjoy doing, that pays better than $35K a year. The only thing I have that's dependent on me at home is a 11 year-old cat that I just adopted.

I care about MONEY $$$$$$$! I don't give a flying sack of crap about anything else. God, all I want is some damn money to be able to have for myself and to take my parents on a much deserved steak dinner. I'll do ANYTHING to get it, short of committing a crime.

I am very open to anything. So what can you do that pays good money, without a college diploma? Nevermind the fact that sitting in an office-job is NOT my cup of tea. I wanted to be a Cop for many years, but with my hearing loss and a guilty plea I took in 2005 (expunged) to a misdemeanor crime, that is looking bleaker and bleaker all the time.

So I considered Trucking. I've always wanted to try it. But I gotta tell you: this thread is pretty grim.

Alright, the library is closing, so I have to go. Yes, I cannot afford internet access, so I use the library to check my email. And their closed tomorrow, so I'll check this thread on Monday.

Thanks everyone.

glockrod
12-01-2012, 19:25
try being stuck in a small box for extended periods.

Sounds like you have some issues to work out with yourself before you can succeed at doing anything else. I doubt driving is the career commitment you want, but I have been wrong before.

Rock bottom can be a good incentive for wanting out of that slump.

You can succed if you are willing to make the sacrifice. Also, dont let $$$ be your only concern. $$$ will NOT make you happy, although it does pay bills.

I was a rising star in my family. I graduated from college and worked as an Assistant Controller for a company. My personal and professional life crashed all at one time and I had to rebuild. I considered and nearly went into the Marines and I have done everything from working at DOT(turning that stupid stop/slow sign for traffic), driving OTR and eventually managing a small trucking company. When I realized that I hated what I did, I went into the family business and basically run the company. I am happy now(though I now wish that I would have went through going into the Marines).

I know what it is like being taken down a few notches from where I thought my life would be and know that I am a better person for my history. I struggled with issues along the way as well.

My experience in trucking from driving all over the eastern US and Canada all the way thru being a dispatcher and manager probably is most effective to the point of your possible desire to persue OTR driving. Heres what I think: I appreciate everyone that does it because everything in your life depends on a trucker getting it there, BUT it is a horrid job if you enjoy family, time off, or anything else that makes living truly having a life. I got out of it because I hated lying to decent people, whether they were my drivers or customers. It is likely why I have gastrointestinal issues today-14 years later.

Good luck and best wishes

SRS
12-01-2012, 20:00
Oiy....*facepalm*

I care about MONEY $$$$$$$! I don't give a flying sack of crap about anything else. God, all I want is some damn money to be able to have for myself and to take my parents on a much deserved steak dinner. I'll do ANYTHING to get it, short of committing a crime.

I am very open to anything. So what can you do that pays good money, without a college diploma? Nevermind the fact that sitting in an office-job is NOT my cup of tea. I wanted to be a Cop for many years, but with my hearing loss and a guilty plea I took in 2005 (expunged) to a misdemeanor crime, that is looking bleaker and bleaker all the time.

These paragraphs are contradictory. You aren't willing to do anything. In fact, you don't appear to be willing to do the one thing that would substantially increase your ability to get a good job more than anything else - get an education. And the reason - that you apparently know it all from high school and didn't "enjoy" it - is a cop out. It means that you either weren't being honest with yourself or not challenging yourself with whatever classes you were taking.

That's okay. College isn't for everyone. But you need to be realistic about limiting yourself.

You should at least consider learning a skilled trade. HVAC, welding, electrical work, etc. all offer the possibility for a very good living without the time and expense of a four year college degree.

Maybe a relocation is also in order. For example, with the oil boom in ND and MN, you might be able to get hired on for a decent wage without experience.

As far as trucking, I don't know much. The one person I know that drives for a living wishes he was doing something else.

wheelsoffreedom76
12-01-2012, 20:08

Detectorist
12-01-2012, 20:08
try being stuck in a small box for extended periods.

Sounds like you have some issues to work out with yourself before you can succeed at doing anything else. I doubt driving is the career commitment you want, but I have been wrong before.

Rock bottom can be a good incentive for wanting out of that slump.

You can succed if you are willing to make the sacrifice. Also, dont let $$$ be your only concern. $$$ will NOT make you happy, although it does pay bills.

I was a rising star in my family. I graduated from college and worked as an Assistant Controller for a company. My personal and professional life crashed all at one time and I had to rebuild. I considered and nearly went into the Marines and I have done everything from working at DOT(turning that stupid stop/slow sign for traffic), driving OTR and eventually managing a small trucking company. When I realized that I hated what I did, I went into the family business and basically run the company. I am happy now(though I now wish that I would have went through going into the Marines).

I know what it is like being taken down a few notches from where I thought my life would be and know that I am a better person for my history. I struggled with issues along the way as well.

My experience in trucking from driving all over the eastern US and Canada all the way thru being a dispatcher and manager probably is most effective to the point of your possible desire to persue OTR driving. Heres what I think: I appreciate everyone that does it because everything in your life depends on a trucker getting it there, BUT it is a horrid job if you enjoy family, time off, or anything else that makes living truly having a life. I got out of it because I hated lying to decent people, whether they were my drivers or customers. It is likely why I have gastrointestinal issues today-14 years later.

Good luck and best wishes

Do all trucking companies lie to their drivers? Which companies would you recommend to a new driver, if any?

VC-Racing
12-01-2012, 20:45
How can you tell if a dispatcher is lying?? ......

The ******* is breathing ..............

Famous words of a dispatcher.....

They'll wait on you.....

Its only this far ....

Its a " hot load" got to be there no matter what .....

I didn't make him speed or drive over hours....

I got a good contact person and phone #.

I got excellent directions off mapquest.......

Oh, i got more.

NH Trucker
12-01-2012, 20:53
These paragraphs are contradictory. You aren't willing to do anything. In fact, you don't appear to be willing to do the one thing that would substantially increase your ability to get a good job more than anything else - get an education. And the reason - that you apparently know it all from high school and didn't "enjoy" it - is a cop out. It means that you either weren't being honest with yourself or not challenging yourself with whatever classes you were taking.

That's okay. College isn't for everyone. But you need to be realistic about limiting yourself.

You should at least consider learning a skilled trade. HVAC, welding, electrical work, etc. all offer the possibility for a very good living without the time and expense of a four year college degree.

Maybe a relocation is also in order. For example, with the oil boom in ND and MN, you might be able to get hired on for a decent wage without experience.

As far as trucking, I don't know much. The one person I know that drives for a living wishes he was doing something else.

Gonna have to agree with this. Get into a tech school and learn a trade. Starting out in trucking, you're most likely not going to make more than $30k-$35k a year, regardless of what a company may "promise." The friend of mine that started driving for Werner, barely hit $25k his first year on the road. HVAC can pay pretty well. Aviation technology is another area where there is some good money to be had, if you're at all mechanically inclined. But with those, and the other ones listed by SRS, you need to go to school, and you need to FINISH. You're not going to find anything that'll have you making what you want to make with only a high school diploma, and certainly not without several years of experience under your belt.

Maybe you have some issues to work out before you can deal with that. I don't know what kind of meds you're on, but maybe they're holding you back. Just because you're depressed doesn't mean you need to be doped up on pills to get through a day. Sometimes you just have to deal with the **** and learn how to tough it out. I do know that medications for depression can really screw a person up, even more so than they were before they were on them, and sometimes changes in medications can REALLY **** a person up too. But if you're on antidepressants and need to see a therapist, the road is not for you. You're going to run into all kinds of BS out there, from the worlds ****tiest drivers, traffic jams that last forever, mechanical break downs, weather, and fighting for loads, BS at weigh stations... If you can't handle life as it currently is, I doubt you'll be able to handle everything you'll encounter on the road. Not to mention that you'll never make it to another appointment with your doctors because of the job.

And if working the graveyard shift drove you crazy, you're going to quit trucking shortly after you get into it. If you have to go through the big cities and you're paid by the mile, you're going to find that driving at night is going to pay better just due to there being fewer traffic jams.

I can understand wanting to make more than $35K a year, but if you honestly can't budget and be able to have a little extra to play with earning that, then maybe you need to reexamine your lifestyle and make some cuts to it.

I've been driving for a living for only 7 years, and I've been trying to figure out something else to do. For now, it pays the bills, but I know it isn't what I want to do the rest of my life.

Sorry if it isn't what you want to hear, but it's reality.

I'm gone
12-01-2012, 21:32
All of you make some great points, I have gone back and forth loving it, hating it, loving it and so on. after the excitement wears off and if you decide to stay with it, you need to find a "niche" something you do better than most others and not everyone does. My truck has a shower, toilet, stove, micro, frig/freezer, big screen TV and satellite, like a motor home with a fith wheel. I don't think I could truck without my house!

larry_minn
12-01-2012, 23:01
Oiy....*facepalm*

Let me make something clear: I don't give a rat about anything but the $$$! I'll do anything for money right now. If I have to put up with crappy dispatchers telling me to kiss thier ass, I'll gladly pucker up.

That being said, let me tell you how I arrived at this:

2 weeks ago, I was at the local gun show. For the past 5 years, I've been unemployed and on SSI/D. It barely pays the rent of my small one room apartment. I have had to learn to budget everything very carefully. It's taught me to be very frugal with my money, which is a good skill that everyone should have. I got into this after a melt-down at work (Private Security), and a bout of depression. I'm in bi-weekly counselling with 2 people (one Doctor, one counselor), and every 3 months I see a medicine Doctor to keep my prescriptions up.

I am not proud of this lifestyle. It's not fun waking up everyday in a slump, feeling sorry for yourself and watching non-cable TV.

While at this gunshow, I was walking away with a Pro-Mag for my AK-47, which had a listed price of $11. I had to open my wallet and haggle for the last remaining $10 I had.

Then I was broke. While walking away with the magazine, I stopped....and it all hit me at once. All the 5 years I've wasted, sitting around, sucking up SSI/D. Being poor. Looking around at all the tables at all the things I couldn't have because I don't have the money....and having to haggle over a $11 purchase.

I almost wanted to cry. But instead, as my counselor told me, I "hit rock bottom".

So, let's look at what I have, and don't have: I have Private Security experience, both Armed and Unarmed. IF I did go back to PS (it's highly unlikely), I wouldn't go back to being Unarmed. No way. The problem with that is there is only one company in this area that allows you to be an onsite while Armed, but it's strictly a Graveyard Shift job only. That is not gonna happen. That's a small part of the reason I went crazy in the first place: too long working Graveyard with several different companies. That, and I didn't leave my last position with this company well with my meltdown.

So...the other choice I considered was to go with an Armored Car company. But I just don't know enough about this job either. That, and I need something better than $12/hr with my current lifestyle, just to be comfortable. I don't want to live paycheck to paycheck. Did it for years (hell, I'm doing it now!), and it's not fun. If anything, it's very depressing.

So...I have no college experience, and I have absolutely no desire to go back (I've already dropped out of community college...twice). I didn't enjoy it, and I learned absolutely NOTHING that I didn't already know from HighSchool.

Now, my dillema is getting into something I enjoy doing, that pays better than $35K a year. The only thing I have that's dependent on me at home is a 11 year-old cat that I just adopted.

So I considered Trucking. I've always wanted to try it. But I gotta tell you: this thread is pretty grim.

Alright, the library is closing, so I have to go. Yes, I cannot afford internet access, so I use the library to check my email. And their closed tomorrow, so I'll check this thread on Monday.

Thanks everyone.

You can see this looks like a number of "red flags" for a owner of trucking firm???
There are jobs that can assist you. I found life on road fun for first weeks (driving team) then went downhill from there.

I went to a tri state job where I was gone 6 days a week. I woke up in hotel (super 8 most of time) and look at phone. (701) ND, (605) SD, (218)N MN, (507) S. MN, ....... Again it was ok for a while.
Thing is I am a night driver. Leave MN 5pm, drive till 1am, sack out for two hrs, drive till 8am (if city with traffic) sack out,lather/rinse/repeat.
As said you learn to plan to avoid rush hr, try to keep up on major events (If Pres is comming to city you avoid like plague (this was before current resident so IMO goes double now)
Always try to leave as early as possible.

robin303
12-01-2012, 23:25
Don't let them get you down. Heck I drove a truck for two yrs. I liked it in a way. Got paid by the hour not miles. That was back in the 80's. Just do it. When you get tired go to something else.. Have you thought about a crane or heavy equipment operator. All that is some fun stuff. :cool:

glock_19guy1983
12-01-2012, 23:45
the 5 years with no work history is going to be a pretty big obstacle to getting in a truck, also if you are depressed and having mental issues you do not need to be in control of 80,000lbs of destructive machinery.

Bruce M
12-02-2012, 04:44
I wouldn't spend my last ten dollars on an AK magazine. You suggested you need a job that pays at least $12 an hour - my extremely limited experience with these type situations is that it usually is easier for the guy who is making 11.35 an hour to get the 12 an hour job than it is for the guy with no job to get that job especially during a time of high unemployment. If you really want to re-enter the job market, the first one that pays more than the SSDI and hires you might be a good choice. Best of luck.

12-02-2012, 07:09
Over the road truck driving isn't a job, it's a lifestyle. If you look at it as a job you'll hate it. My advice to you would be to sign on with a company that will pay for your school and train you. I believe CRST asks for a 1 year commitment. It will suck, but after a year you walk away with a debt free CDL and a year of experience. Then look around for different jobs. The food service and beer delivery jobs pay well and most are local, but it's hard work. The more experience you have, the more doors open to you.

Detectorist
12-02-2012, 12:53
Jade, for someone who suffers from depression, lots of time alone is not good. You need to surround yourself with healthy positive individuals.

Start out part time. Seek vocational job training from the state. Heck, HVAC is a great career, if you like to fix thing.

It's best to just ease into the job market again.

Good luck.

Detectorist
12-02-2012, 12:55
All of you make some great points, I have gone back and forth loving it, hating it, loving it and so on. after the excitement wears off and if you decide to stay with it, you need to find a "niche" something you do better than most others and not everyone does. My truck has a shower, toilet, stove, micro, frig/freezer, big screen TV and satellite, like a motor home with a fith wheel. I don't think I could truck without my house!

That's incredible! Is that your personal property? I've never heard of a truck with a shower. Awesome!

Do you have a picture of the inside?

devildog2067
12-02-2012, 15:05
Let me make something clear: I don't give a rat about anything but the $$$! I'll do anything for money right now.

You can make $35k selling cars without breaking a sweat if you're willing to listen and hustle. How many car dealerships are there in your town?

19crew
12-02-2012, 15:27

Thanks everyone.

Kind of confused by your post, it seems contradicting.

You're willing to do anything to make money, you think money will buy you happiness, you're open to all jobs, but yet in reality you're not open to much of anything.

I've hit rock bottom before, and trust me, you don't know where you're going until you know where your at.

I had a high income, had the toys I wanted, truth be told, I was miserable, high stress, long hours, and long days. Quit that job and took one with mediocre pay, sometimes less is more. I'm not rich by any means, but I get by, have more free time, and best of all I've slowed down to enjoy the little things in life and in my opinion, that's what matters.

Best of luck

Edit - OP not sure on your age, but I'd think it's safe to say that most people have had their short comings in their mid to late 20's. Life's tough, just keep after it and it becomes easier.

I'm gone
12-02-2012, 16:26
That's incredible! Is that your personal property? I've never heard of a truck with a shower. Awesome!

For better or worse it's mine, both truck and trailer.

Atomic Punk
12-02-2012, 16:54
Hi folks,

Here's the thing: I know absolutely nothing about truck-driving, or getting a CDL. I would like to get a Class A endorsement, but again: I have no idea how to go about doing it.

In the neighboring city of Portland, Oregon (I'm a WA resident), there's quite a few schools, but is there anything that I should look out for specifically?

I am open to suggestions and comments. Remember: I'm a complete noob at this, so please use layman terms.

How does a noob like me normally go about getting hired on with a company? Should I sign up with a company first and then let them train me? Or, should I go to a Truck-Driving School and then get hired on with a company?

I don't know!

Thanks everyone!

my place is in vancouver, i got into a school/company based in utah. im stuck with it for a year, well about 9 months now. only plan on being with this place for the year. after i will get something local ( portland ) or get back in on one of my other past job skills.

the hours suck, but the weekly pay is not bad. better than working security.

larry_minn
12-02-2012, 18:22

Nice looking rig. I have gotten to look over the construction,finished product of a 110" and 150" IIRC it had 7 cu ft fridge/freezer, 37" TV, shower,stool, micro,stove,sink....A dang quiet dsl genset....
I have hauled some of the parts to place that makes them. couple fridges, SS brackets, forklift, etc... So I take look at products every time. Very tempting.
Here is one http://www.customkw.com/Gallery/?album=all&gallery=9

ESAFO
12-02-2012, 19:08
i've been driving for 18yrs with flatbed, box & dump.
you have to ask yourself if you do well with others always watching over your back telling you what to do, i don't thats why i drive truck & probably always will.
i drove otr for several years & even owned my own truck, the $ is good if you keep yourself in good freight lanes being a owner operator.
if you choose to drive flatbed, the biggest issue you have to take into consideration is WEATHER conditions cuz let me tell you it really sucks in the winter & when it's raining...
if you choose dry van or box truck, now you have possibly being stuck @ dock's for long periods of time specially if your going to union wharehouses-they tend to get lost for hours & when they do come back now it's break time.
currently i drive a dump local & make a good living doing, i'm home every night & after being there for awhile you get better paying loads.
most dump company's pay % so the more weight you haul the more $ you make, gaurenteed 90% of dump trucks you see on the road are over weight & dot drools everytime they see us.
fortunatly my company pays all of my fines no $ out of my pocket, but there's a catch to getting caught.
with this CSA crap out there you earn pts for anything from a marker light being out, to getting put out of service do to a non safe vehicle.
after earning so many pts now the company's insurance team tends to start asking questions on whats going on, either they put you on double secret probation or they send you packing.
the trucking industry & dot are like oil & water they just dont get along & never will, so you can count on getting harassed & ticketed everytime you get pulled over.
if you go through a training class from a providing company that will pay your way through, yes you will be @ there mercy for what seems to be forever.
now you'll loose your pacience & begin to ask yourself why did i ever decide to do this, so there are alot of aspects to look towards before making a decision.
another route you can choose is expediting, you can get a regular cargo van, straight truck or even a semi.
expedited freight is good for several reasons especially when you drive a cargo van, absolutely no dot to have to worry about & you can drive as many hours as you want.
you can park anywhere, go through BK drive thru, a spray wash & not have to worry about bridge weight limits or low clearence.
you don't have to take every load thrown your way & you can take yourself out of service when ever you want & then you can make your own contacts & haul your own freight under your own terms.
all this being said you can buy a cargo van pretty cheap now adays, out of pocket $ to get started is minimal & the company's take your weekly fee's directly out of your weekly seetlements.
there are ton of tractor trailer company's out there that will promise you the world & make this job choice the best you've ever made, thats there job thats how they make $ is to get people behind the wheel of there trucks whether your capable of doing the job or not cuz if you can't there's 1k other people that will try the same thing you just went through.
basically yes everytime a dispatchers mouth is open it's usually spitting out BS, most dispatchers get a bonus on loads they get covered & they don't care who or how they get covered.
know matter where you go you'll have to earn your whiskers & slowly make your way to the top, i've never been 1 to pucker for ANYBODY & NEVER WILL!!!!
remember there is nothing out there you have to do, it's all in what you choose to do.
i hope this helps everybody that is considering a driving job, it's all in what you want to do with your personal life.
good luck to all that are considering a driving job & most importantly be carefull when you get out on the road, a heavely loaded missle on wheels is nothing to take lightly & weather conditions do make a big difference.

Detectorist
12-02-2012, 19:17
For better or worse it's mine, both truck and trailer.

Holy COW!!! THAT IS ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!

Kozel
12-02-2012, 20:04
15+ years of CDL driving here. 10 years of city driving with full size trailer (Seattle, Tacoma). It is a job few people can survive. I have seen more people leave, get hurt, crippled, die, and even commit suicide then most police officers will ever do.

Driving down the road in cruise control and coming back to your family (you will not have any) once a month is easy.
If you want to come home every night and drive a truck then you are better to be tough enough to chew nails that people that are “tough as nails” are made of.

MarinePride
12-02-2012, 20:21
Considering all of the criteria that must be met to be an OTR truck driver and the money you will make, not many people will go for it as a job choice.

1. You must be drug and alcohol free. You cannot have any beer in your system when in that truck. If you think you are going to have a few cold ones in the sleeper berth, after a hard day of driving, you aren't going to last. This in and of itself makes the job very unappealing for the money you will make.

2. The money you will make, broken down into an hourly wage is very low. WalMart pays better and by the hour.

There is a driver shortage for a reason. There are not a lot of people who are willing to jump through all of the hoops necessary to even become a CDL holder. Most people don't last more than a year at it.

So you have all of the negative info on the job, now go and try it for yourself. As it's something you must try in this life, if you've always wanted to. Most people are whiners and complain, these types tend to be vocal and are pervasive on the internet. The people who actually enjoy stuff might not care to share their joy.

YouTube has lots of real life truckers who post vids of what their daily routine is like. Go and check some of them out listed below.

Sergie Drachev
BigRigTalk
Ike Stevens
J Canell
Trucker Josh

These guys all have hours and hours of vids up to view on a variey of topics.

Ferdinandd
12-02-2012, 20:37
I graduated from college with a BS in Business Admin in 1991. The economy was pretty sucky, to say the least, and my newly minted diploma got me a job driving a flatbed tractor-trailer. I loved that job! It was easier to like it knowing that it wouldn't last forever before I moved into something more suited for my education a few years later. However, I liked driving a truck, I liked the long hours, I liked the physical element of loading and unloading a truck.

I'm still involved in Logistics, but in a different capacity. I keep a CDL still, and if I need to take off with a load tomorrow, I'd be happy to do it. There's good money in flat-bedding for folks with the motivation to learn the business and work hard.

SDGlock23
12-03-2012, 12:37
Not a truck driver, but I spent years working on the railroad and it's a crap lifestyle. A lot of what I hear the truckers saying rings true with the railroad as well. They own you and being on call 24/7 is something I don't think you ever truly get adjusted to, how can you? Most guys, myself included, look at the $$ but in the end, the money you earn for the lifestyle you live isn't nearly worth it. Like someone else said, it may look rosy on the outside, but once you're in, it's a whole other story.

Detectorist
12-03-2012, 13:05
You can make $35k selling cars without breaking a sweat if you're willing to listen and hustle. How many car dealerships are there in your town?

I read a study somewhere last year that the average car salesman in my area sells 6 cars a month.

I have no idea how much money that is.

devildog2067
12-03-2012, 13:12
I read a study somewhere last year that the average car salesman in my area sells 6 cars a month.

I have no idea how much money that is.

Not a lot. But it's very easy to be better than the "average" car guy. All you have to do is work.

It sounds so simple, but most car guys stand around and just wait for a deal to fall into their laps. If you go out and chase ups on the lot, you're already ahead of most of them.

Kozel
12-03-2012, 14:26

Apparently you did not do very good in that job since you ended up living in the bunker under France!
Why would you advise people to do one of many jobs you failed at? Scientific sadism?

Good thing you never drove a truck but you still drop in with an expert opinion even on this topic.

devildog2067
12-03-2012, 14:31
Apparently you did not do very good in that job
I started selling cars, made it to the F&I office in under 18 months and into the sales tower in under 2 years. By the beginning of my third year I was running the dealership as the GSM. In my first year I averaged 18.2 cars through the summer, giving me the 4th highest average in the company (at the time we were 18 stores). I made over $100k in my second year (in 2003 dollars) selling Hyundais at a time when people still thought of Hyundais as cheap, ****ty, disposable cars.

since you ended up living in the bunker under France!

Yes, I chose to participate in one of the greatest scientific experiments of our time, and I'm quite proud of it. I did take a huge pay cut to go back to school, but I think it'll pay off.

Anyway, it could be worse--I could be stuck driving a truck.

Why would you advise people do one of many jobs you failed at?

I'm sitting in an office in San Francisco, looking out the window at the Bay Bridge. Tomorrow I'll be back in Chicago. I think I might be going to Mexico next week. I get paid well, and while I work a lot of hours my work isn't "hard" in any sense except mentally.

I do exciting, interesting, challenging work for a multi-billion dollar global company where I put in face time with C-level executives across many different industries. I make 7x what I made a year ago. I think I'm doing ok.

I wouldn't say I "failed" at any job, ever in my life. I did make some poor choices, but they were almost all personal ones rather than career ones. My career path has been very unorthodox, but I'd say I've been moving in a positive direction my entire life. I left car sales because I chose to, not because I failed at it, and in many ways it's the best thing I've ever done. I'm glad for the skills that I learned but to be honest, I'm equally glad that I'm not doing it anymore. Having said that, if I found myself in Houston with $20 in my pocket and no job prospects I'd be applying at every dealership in town. Any job is better than no job.

devildog2067
12-03-2012, 14:36
Good thing you never drove a truck but you still drop in with an expert opinion even on this topic.

I don't know anything about driving trucks, and I never pretended to. I never posted anything in this thread about driving trucks. I've never driven anything bigger than a big U-Haul in my entire life.

Kozel
12-03-2012, 14:38
I started selling cars, made it to the F&I office in under 18 months and into the sales tower in under 2 years. By the beginning of my third year I was running the dealership as the GSM. In my first year I averaged 18.2 cars through the summer, giving me the 4th highest average in the company (at the time we were 18 stores). I made over $100k in my second year (in 2003 dollars) selling Hyundais at a time when people still thought of Hyundais as cheap, ****ty, disposable cars.

After all that you failed at that job and ended up in the bunker under France! What a fail.

Now you advise people on how to drive a truck. Must be the new low even for you.

devildog2067
12-03-2012, 14:39
After all that you failed at that job and ended up in the bunker under France! What a fail.

Now you advise people on how to drive a truck. Must be the new low for you.

Every time I think you can't act any crazier... you prove me wrong.

Congratulations to you, sir.

Kozel
12-03-2012, 14:46
I don't know anything about driving trucks, and I never pretended to. I never posted anything in this thread about driving trucks. I've never driven anything bigger than a big U-Haul in my entire life.

And yet you post on topic about some guy wanting to become a truck driver?

Sounds like know-it–all ego getting just a little bit ahead of itself.

devildog2067
12-03-2012, 14:48
And yet you post on topic about some guy wanting to become a truck driver?

If you'd bothered to read the man's post, it turns out what he was really asking is "what jobs are out there for someone without a college degree?" Take a look:

I just don't know enough about this job either. That, and I need something better than $12/hr with my current lifestyle, just to be comfortable. I don't want to live paycheck to paycheck. Did it for years (hell, I'm doing it now!), and it's not fun. If anything, it's very depressing.

I am very open to anything. So what can you do that pays good money, without a college diploma?

The man was looking for suggestions. I offered one. Why you have such a problem with that, I have no idea.

ESAFO
12-03-2012, 14:49
WOW!!!! :faint:

Kozel
12-03-2012, 14:53
Ya all atom splitting nerds in France are not very good at reading the topic “Getting into a First-Time Trucking Job”.

devildog2067
12-03-2012, 14:55
Ya all atom splitting nerds in France are not very good at reading the topic “Getting into a First-Time Trucking Job”.

You seriously can't understand that as threads progress, sometimes the topic drifts?

Kozel
12-03-2012, 15:01
You seriously can't understand that as threads progress, sometimes the topic drifts?

No. I have seen trolls jump in and drive topic into all kinds of unpredictable directions.
Somebody asked about driving CDL truck and troll talks about selling Hundais and “greatest scientific experiments”…

paul45
12-03-2012, 15:05
23 years trucking for me. Over the road, all 48. 1.8 million paid miles.

I will NEVER suggest to a young man to get a class A CDL.

A thankless, mind numbing, horrible way of life.

My opinion only.

devildog2067
12-03-2012, 15:08

No.

Some honesty at last.

Somebody asked about driving CDL truck and troll talks about selling Hundais and “greatest scientific experiments”…

You understand that here in the internet, your words are actually recorded, right? You might get away with pretending that what you remember is what happened elsewhere, but here we can actually go back and read the posts.

Let's recap:

Jade Falcon asks about truck driving
I imagine, with good hours, I could make some pretty good money.

Here's the thing: I know absolutely nothing about truck-driving, or getting a CDL.

A bunch of people with truck driving experience jump in and offer stories about truck driving. Jade Falcon discovers that it may not be as much fun or as much money as he'd hoped:

Let me make something clear: I don't give a rat about anything but the $$$! I'll do anything for money right now.

And asks for other suggestions:

I am very open to anything. So what can you do that pays good money, without a college diploma?

I offer one:

I didn't pretend to know anything about truck driving. I didn't offer any advice off the subject of truck driving until the original poster asked for other suggestions. And this thread was pretty much on topic before you came in here and crapped all over it.

Don't you ever get tired of being wrong?

Kozel
12-03-2012, 15:10
I didn't pretend to know anything about truck driving. I didn't offer any advice off the subject of truck driving

Did you get PHD in trolling?

janice6
12-03-2012, 15:12
Be careful of too much "Fast food" while sitting most of your life.

Detectorist
12-03-2012, 15:13
No. I have seen trolls jump in and drive topic into all kinds of unpredictable directions.

He's just responding to others questions.

You're the one I don't understand.

Detectorist
12-03-2012, 15:16
It's funny, for every one person who recommends truck driving, I hear and read of 10 folks who say don't.

Got a call this morning from a school. This school has tons of complaints from their students.

devildog2067
12-03-2012, 15:18
WOW!!!! :faint:

Hey, welcome to GT GNG. Lots of great information and good people here. Ignore Kozel, he's just crazy. I should take my own advice on that front, but unfortunately one of my many personality flaws is that I have trouble ignoring people who say things that are blatantly wrong.

Kozel
12-03-2012, 15:20
He's just responding to others questions.

Go into splitting atoms and selling Huindais.

Kozel
12-03-2012, 15:23
Kozel, he's just crazy.

coming from Huindai salesman it is a compliment.

Detectorist
12-03-2012, 15:36

I don't have a razor blade sharp enough to split atoms. So I'll keep looking.

Atomic Punk
12-03-2012, 17:30
coming from Huindai salesman it is a compliment.

people like you are the reason i enjoy the show cops.

Jade Falcon
12-03-2012, 17:39
Alright.

Thank you everyone who replied to this thread: DevilDog, Kozel, and others. Even those who offered me some criticisms back on page 2 are much appreciated.

At my last post, I suppose I was just venting a bit. I don't want to sound like "I want my pie and eat it too." In other words, I don't want to sound like I want money without the work that comes with it. I know that they both go hand in hand.

That being said, I think I'm going to focus on getting into one of several things, instead of Trucking:

-A job working the blacktop at Portland International Airport (the flaggers, perhaps?)
-Getting hired on with an Armored Car Company
-Going to a vocational class at the local community college. I'm not sure which exact class I would take though; something where my area of interest is. I'd have to look around, though I hear Welders can make decent money with the right jobs and training.

Again, thank you everyone. I appreciate the suggestions and criticisms. I think I'm going to explore other options than Trucking. Rest assure, however, that by June (my "goal date") of 2013, I'll once again be a contributing member of society.

larry_minn
12-03-2012, 17:49
Kozel, Have you been to "46.58N 121.75W"? any one night stands there? (or turned down a one night stand there?)
Seems someone has a personal grudge against you. I must admit some of stuff you talk about sounds kinda neat. Might be reason.

NH Trucker
12-03-2012, 17:58

Out of curiosity, what do you do for a living comrade? :upeyes:

Atomic Punk
12-03-2012, 18:38
Alright.

Thank you everyone who replied to this thread: DevilDog, Kozel, and others. Even those who offered me some criticisms back on page 2 are much appreciated.

At my last post, I suppose I was just venting a bit. I don't want to sound like "I want my pie and eat it too." In other words, I don't want to sound like I want money without the work that comes with it. I know that they both go hand in hand.

That being said, I think I'm going to focus on getting into one of several things, instead of Trucking:

-A job working the blacktop at Portland International Airport (the flaggers, perhaps?)
-Getting hired on with an Armored Car Company
-Going to a vocational class at the local community college. I'm not sure which exact class I would take though; something where my area of interest is. I'd have to look around, though I hear Welders can make decent money with the right jobs and training.

Again, thank you everyone. I appreciate the suggestions and criticisms. I think I'm going to explore other options than Trucking. Rest assure, however, that by June (my "goal date") of 2013, I'll once again be a contributing member of society.

i did the armored car bit for a while in 2010. not a bad job. pays way better than general security guard. takes a lot of paperwork and certification before you can get on with anyone. i still have the number of the guy i did my certs and re certs with in portland. mostly knows what he is talking about. well, he knows the legal stuff real well, but has a few fish tales and such.

Lone Wolf8634
12-03-2012, 18:52
DD has a stalker.:rofl:

Kozel has a bug ( or sumthin) up his butt.:shocked:

NH Trucker
12-03-2012, 19:40
DD has a stalker.:rofl:

Kozel has a bug ( or sumthin) up his butt.:shocked:

Yeah, Kozel has something up his butt alright. Maybe he should take it out and get a breath of fresh air for a change. :whistling:

oldgraywolf
12-03-2012, 19:44
Quit picking on Kozel; he's our entertainment.

jp3975
12-03-2012, 20:25
Kozel...no one here sees you as being right. Why are you so pissed at DD?

Op...if you're thinking about going to trade school for welding or something else along those lines...maybe electrical...

Look into getting on at a paper mill or chemical plant if you can. Pays at least $12 per hour for an entry level contractor. The average job at a paper mill/chemical plant pays around $30 an hour.

If you can get a foot in the door, you can make a lot. Worth looking into.

Also, you could probably get a job working in the oil field pretty easy and around here it starts at $12.

Lone Wolf8634
12-03-2012, 20:36
Yeah, Kozel has something up his butt alright. Maybe he should take it out and get a breath of fresh air for a change. :whistling:

I see what you did there!!!!:rofl:

Kozel
12-03-2012, 21:12

I will pass on an advise from somebody who has 53 footer stuck up his. Sorry NHSuperTrucker.

Kozel
12-03-2012, 21:17

If you could read you would have figured that out long time ago. Apparently you cannot and you use your dog to do your typing for you.

Gombey
12-03-2012, 21:33
I need to hang out in GNG more often!!!

LOL!!! This thread is great!!!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

jp3975
12-03-2012, 22:16
If you could read you would have figured that out long time ago. Apparently you cannot and you use your dog to do your typing for you.

You call others a troll who are respected here, yet you're the one lashing out at others and making obtuse, unreasonable comments.

Why are you so angry?

MarcDW
12-03-2012, 22:22

Now, having said that, if you're comfortable being alone for long periods of time, got an itch to travel and can supervise yourself, well, trucking's a blast for a while...

LoneWolf put it right!
Here comes my long version:
Last year my wife (knowing nothing) thought that trucking would be a good way to make money.
So we paid $3,600 with the local High School Adult Ed to get my CDL-A. Locally nobody hired, so went with Werner. On a Sunday I went off driving all day with the Greyhound to Allentown PA to go to their "Orientation".
The hotel was a Quality Inn which was OK but sure did not deserve the name. You share your room with some other poor sole for a few days at $50 pay a day. That is actually good, because later driving by myself I had weeks were I made less. Remember, you have to live off this and pay the bills at home!
In 10 weeks I made it home once for 5 days. I had 4 trainers in that time, one was a total redneck who would have no consideration for any of your needs like stopping 10 minutes at a regular store so I could buy some normal food.
But then my last instructor was great. He even drove half nights to make it safer and better for both of us.
Sleeping in the moving truck during the day is hard. I ended up doing it most times in the passenger seat!
Things were better when I drove solo. I had a Kenworth with APU. Still at the rest stop where you sleep at night if you lucky, the other trucks let their engines run. The air quality is accordingly and it is loud. I alway had to use ear plugs.

Then they send me to Canada!
The border crossing takes you half a day, since first you have to take the trailer to be checked and repaired.
While waiting you don't get paid.
Then the Canadiens take your passport, DL and manifest and look you up in the waiting room. That's right, the door is locked! No better when you come home, ICE simply X-rays your truck with you in it! After this I refuse to go to CAN.
See, while sitting there I was thinking, what would happen to me if someone placed maybe drugs on this trailer. You get that thing loaded and sealed, what do you know what is really in there!
Guess who would became at the Queens pleasure if there were drugs found on such a trailer ?! Not that I ever heard that this happen, but it would suck to be the one being the first!

So they let me sit for 3 days with no new load. At that point I drove the truck to the next Warner Hub, parked it and drove home with a rental car. My wife and children said my skin looked green.
Werner called me back for month later to come back, offering my $0.34 a mile!
Before they paid me $0.27 a mile. Now you calculate how many miles you have to drive, just so that you can buy yourself dinner!
I do liked seeing the country, but it sure is a hard way to earn a $$$!

NEOH212
12-04-2012, 00:21
Getting into a First-Time Trucking Job; thoughts?

Find a better line of work.

:wavey:

NH Trucker
12-04-2012, 04:52
I will pass on an advise from somebody who has 53 footer stuck up his. Sorry NHSuperTrucker.

I've never paid much attention to your posts, so I really don't know what you do. But I do see that you're just some giant ****** (irrigation device for a woman's nether region) with a hard on for stalking people, since it appears you have nothing much to add except feeble attempts to harass Devildog. I also see you haven't quite mastered the english language yet, either in reading or writing. I really can't tell if you're just ignorant or if you're really that stupid. Either way, thanks for the laughs dumbass. :rofl:

NH Trucker
12-04-2012, 05:32

Would it piss you off more if it was a capitalist dog, comrade? :whistling:

glock_19guy1983
12-04-2012, 05:49
You call others a troll who are respected here, yet you're the one lashing out at others and making obtuse, unreasonable comments.

Why are you so angry?

Kozel has a PHD in A**HOLE

Travelin' Jack
12-04-2012, 08:00
Jade Falcon, do you have any networking/computer/wiring/telecom experience? A sub contractor of mine needs a person or two to assemble and program cell tower cabinets in a warehouse east of PDX airport. It's not complicated at all (I'm sure it sounds it), but someone without any relevant experience at all might be a difficult sell.

Jade Falcon
12-05-2012, 20:15
Jade Falcon, do you have any networking/computer/wiring/telecom experience? A sub contractor of mine needs a person or two to assemble and program cell tower cabinets in a warehouse east of PDX airport. It's not complicated at all (I'm sure it sounds it), but someone without any relevant experience at all might be a difficult sell.

Sorry, I do not. I can operate a basic computer with good typing skills, but that's about it.

i did the armored car bit for a while in 2010. not a bad job. pays way better than general security guard. takes a lot of paperwork and certification before you can get on with anyone. i still have the number of the guy i did my certs and re certs with in portland. mostly knows what he is talking about. well, he knows the legal stuff real well, but has a few fish tales and such.

Atomic Punk: can you put me in touch with that trainer and/or recommend me a Armored Car company? Thanks!

EDIT: Stop arguing! Jesus, this is a thread about finding work! Go argue somewhere else please!

larry_minn
12-05-2012, 21:42
Oh heck, why not post here as well.
Dispatchers lie. (the highers ups likely lie to them)

There was a truck needed to get to TN. I asked here/lowered my bid to $800 and they accepted. Paid for health card, time to prep, set up for when gone, supplies required by law to drive for hire.
so I am out @$150 plus time/favors asked for.... So instead of making a extra @$400+ Christmas extra....

unit1069
12-05-2012, 22:06
I've been led to believe that retirees with good work histories are in great demand.

HollowHead
12-06-2012, 00:14

Kozel mixes himself with vinegar and water, and rinses out unspeakable places. HH

Lone_Wolfe
12-06-2012, 02:24
Kozel mixes himself with vinegar and water, and rinses out unspeakable places. HH

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: