Do you drive with your parking lights on at dusk? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do you drive with your parking lights on at dusk?

Pages : [1] 2

certifiedfunds
11-30-2012, 20:32
If so, why?

Why do people do this?

Gregg702
11-30-2012, 20:33
Nope. DRL's until my headlights automatically come on.

certifiedfunds
11-30-2012, 20:37

Right. It takes effort to drive with your parking lights on. There is no point to it. Why do people do it?

NeverMore1701
11-30-2012, 20:38
No idea, but it irritates me.

czsmithGT
If so, why?

Why do people do this?

Why? Because they are idiots. It is illegal in my state but some morons do it anyway.

DanaT
I have automatic headlights. No need for me to move a switch.

Gregg702
11-30-2012, 20:39
Right. It takes effort to drive with your parking lights on. There is no point to it. Why do people do it?

No clue. I very rarely see it around here, but I have seen it.

vafish
11-30-2012, 20:40
No, they are called parking lights, not driving lights.

IF I need lights I turn on real lights.

certifiedfunds
11-30-2012, 20:46
No clue. I very rarely see it around here, but I have seen it.

I had one behind me last night for about 20 minutes

certifiedfunds
11-30-2012, 20:47
No idea, but it irritates me.

Me too obviously. I don't know why.

The guy last night was a late model pickup, which means he has DRLs and auto headlights so he had to do it on purpose.

Gregg702
11-30-2012, 20:47
I had one behind me last night for about 20 minutes

I would have flashed my rear fogs at them. That is annoying.

vart
11-30-2012, 20:49
I do, because my car looks totally cool with just the parking lights and LEDs on, and I'm a selfish D-bag...:tongueout:

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy35/idowa/vehicles/100_0037.jpg

USMCsilver
11-30-2012, 21:13
Only when trick-or-treating.

GRIMLET
11-30-2012, 21:14
Ok Funds, thats not nearly as aggravating as those who turn on their hazards during a storm and continue to drive on the highway/interstate... ...VERY SLOWLY!!!!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

certifiedfunds
11-30-2012, 21:15
Ok Funds, thats not nearly as aggravating as those who turn on their hazards during a storm and continue to drive on the highway/interstate... ...VERY SLOWLY!!!!

I hear ya. Pull the hell over and put your PARKING LIGHTS ON if you can't manage.

This was in your state BTW.:supergrin:

HollowHead
11-30-2012, 21:16
Do those Audi d-bags with the LED "eyebrows" count? HH

certifiedfunds
11-30-2012, 21:17

They should

11-30-2012, 21:20
Because there's at least one person who gets wound over insignificant things such as this - I do it just for them.

Gregg702
11-30-2012, 21:34

Hey, I resemble that remark!

certifiedfunds
11-30-2012, 21:35
Because there's at least one person who gets wound over insignificant things such as this - I do it just for them.

Ordinarily I admire that in a person.

GRIMLET
11-30-2012, 21:46
I hear ya. Pull the hell over and put your PARKING LIGHTS ON if you can't manage.

This was in your state BTW.:supergrin:

I know!!! I think its an idiot epidemic in the South. I was driving home from NC after Isaac and dealt with them from Tallahassee all the way home!!!
And in the passing lane!!!!

I had them on 171 and La 1 before too.
Hahahahaha

certifiedfunds
11-30-2012, 21:56
I know!!! I think its an idiot epidemic in the South. I was driving home from NC after Isaac and dealt with them from Tallahassee all the way home!!!
And in the passing lane!!!!

I had them on 171 and La 1 before too.
Hahahahaha

Texas has some very courteous highway drivers......pretty good respect for the passing lane, etc. But I swear on my kid's teddy bear that the moment they cross the Sabine River the all hang out in the left lane. I honestly think it's a when in rome thing. They probably think its the law here.

czsmithGT
11-30-2012, 22:00
I know!!! I think its an idiot epidemic in the South.

Believe me, it's not just the South.

Bushflyr
11-30-2012, 22:02
Probably for the same reason I leave mine on all the time. It's the only way most cars light up the gauges. My gauges are hard to see in either bright sunlight or dusk, so I just leave my parking lights on so they're lit and easy to see. I suppose I could rewire my cluster, but this is just easier. They go off when I shut down any way, so no risk of a dead battery.

mr00jimbo
11-30-2012, 22:13
In Canada cars made in the last 20 years HAVE to have DRLs. I kind of dislike it sometimes, but then it is much easier to judge distance of an oncoming car even during the day.
But people forget their ****ing tail lights because they think DRL is just everything on at once.

certifiedfunds
11-30-2012, 22:13
Probably for the same reason I leave mine on all the time. It's the only way most cars light up the gauges. My gauges are hard to see in either bright sunlight or dusk, so I just leave my parking lights on so they're lit and easy to see. I suppose I could rewire my cluster, but this is just easier. They go off when I shut down any way, so no risk of a dead battery.

So if it is dusk why doesn't the driver just turn on their headlamps?

GRIMLET
11-30-2012, 22:16
Although this isnt a darkness or rainy thing....
One thing I experienced in EastTexas and West La is when some drivers see you approaching quickly, they would pull onto the shoulder, never slowing, and allow me to pass. This was only in rural areas.

DrMaxit
11-30-2012, 22:17
Nope, I'm not an 19yr old ****** bag.

czsmithGT
11-30-2012, 22:25

In Washington, as long as your headlights are on from a half hour after sunset until a half hour before sunrise and at times when conditions make it difficult to see other people or vehicles, you are legal to drive with your parking lights on. In my state, not so much.

9jeeps
11-30-2012, 22:35
While living in Seattle I encountered all sorts of drivers. The most prolific by far were the SUV/Pickup drivers that drove with all six plus headlights on on a lighted roadway. Or the Beemers and the like with the Blue headlights.

My ole Chebby Pickup has DRL's that can be disabled with the removal of a fuse.

Used to be in Europe and such folks were not to drive with headlights on in town. Just the amberlamps. I suppose some of that carried over here.

I NEVER left my parking lights on when I was parked. Specially if there was a sweet thang along for a snipe hunt!

Sometimes I drive with my parking lights on just so the Deer and Bighorns can find their crossing signs:upeyes:

czsmithGT
11-30-2012, 22:40
I NEVER left my parking lights on when I was parked. Specially if there was a sweet thang along for a snipe hunt!

In Washington if you park your car on the shoulder of an unlit road outside of city limits at night, you are required to leave your parking lights on. I think that is called the "Dead battery" law LOL.

Bushflyr
11-30-2012, 22:59
So if it is dusk why doesn't the driver just turn on their headlamps?

:dunno: When it get's on towards dark I turn them on. There's always going to be some in between point where Someone else thinks it's too dark and I think it's not dark enough, I guess.

Radam3
11-30-2012, 23:03
No DRL's on my truck. I always run the parking and fogs if the truck is on. Once dusk hits, headlights get turned on.

Before you can lead, you must refuse to follow

Shinytop
11-30-2012, 23:14
I usually turn on my lights earlier than most people. A long time ago almost got killed with my family because a car at dusk was following a long line of cars that had their lights on. His were off and I had actually taken my foot off the brake when I saw him and slammed the brakes back on. So I learned the lights are as much about being seen as seeing. That said I use my lights, not just the parking lights although I sympathize with the thought of not being able to see the gauges well. Had a Toyota for a while that had lights on the dashes whenever the car was turned on. Nice feature.

F14Scott
11-30-2012, 23:24
I don't care if people want to drive with their parking lights on; it doesn't affect me one way or the other. BUT, comma: they very often forget to turn on their headlights because they can see their illuminated instrument cluster when only the parking lights are on.

I think the auto manufacturers could remedy this problem by making the instrument cluster flash on and off when the parking lamps are lit. In the daytime, no one would see it. As it gets dark, the driver would be increasingly reminded to switch to headlights on.

10mm Sonny
11-30-2012, 23:46
I do it a lot with my Corvette. Fog lights on with parking lights. Less wear and tear on rotating headlights.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f140/z07vette/IMG_0748.jpg

Cochese
11-30-2012, 23:57
I do it a lot with my Corvette. Fog lights on with parking lights. Less wear and tear on rotating headlights.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f140/z07vette/IMG_0748.jpg

This is an exception for me. Same for my 1989 Conquest TSi.

Otherwise, I find it highly annoying for people to do that (just parking lights). It also is a traffic violation here.

TK-421
11-30-2012, 23:59
I just drive with my headlights on when it gets dusk. If it's dark out and I'm sitting in my driveway and need to see the instrument cluster or the radio, I'll turn my amber lights on, just so I don't get blinded by shining my headlights at my garage door. But if I'm driving, it's headlights at dusk/dark, and no lights during the day.

dan1488
12-01-2012, 00:39
do it all the time, and for fun drive with my blinker on also.

larry_minn
12-01-2012, 01:14
Yes I do. But NOT on roads. I find at evening/some nights I can see things better with my lights off. (other then directlyin headlights)
So on back private roads I just use parking lights, dash dimmed. Or some times no lights.
If stopped its normally hazzard lights if on street. (except rural areas where you can see for mile)

RonS
12-01-2012, 07:33
Head lights on or head lights off, I never use the parking lights. Not even to park, if I am parked I turn everything off, if I am broken down on the road I turn on the flashers.

norton
12-01-2012, 07:37
I bet those guys running blinking headlights on their motorcycles drive some of you crazy. Of course you also notice them, which is the point.

certifiedfunds
12-01-2012, 07:44
Although this isnt a darkness or rainy thing....
One thing I experienced in EastTexas and West La is when some drivers see you approaching quickly, they would pull onto the shoulder, never slowing, and allow me to pass. This was only in rural areas.

Yes! It is a tradition I would put up there with Christmas morning.

certifiedfunds
12-01-2012, 07:45
I bet those guys running blinking headlights on their motorcycles drive some of you crazy. Of course you also notice them, which is the point.

Notice them? Hell, I aim right at em.

HexHead
12-01-2012, 07:54
I think some GM pickups use the parking lights as DRL, as I've seen them on during a bright day.

SMOKEin
12-01-2012, 08:35
Notice them? Hell, I aim right at em.

:rofl: Extra points if you can hit a flasher. My buddy did the headlight mod and then removed it after a few rides. He said that people often reacted as they would if a cop had pulled up behind them and started hitting brakes, doing stupid things to get out of his way, etc. Said he felt like it was an accident waiting to happen.

To the original point... Who cares if people drive with parking lights on? Its never bothered me, does it cause some sort of glare for you at dusk/dawn?

Z71bill
12-01-2012, 08:39
Parking lights on when I am cruising the "parkway" - and never when I am sitting in the "driveway".

When I was in high school a lot of us would "cruise the loop" - it was - from the high school parking lot - the whole 2 miles down main street "U" turn and back - for hours at a time.:cool:

You had your GF & or a car load of friends along - and we always had our parking lights on because we were the cool kids we had no choice but to set the proper example. :upeyes:

I don't think I even know how to turn my parking lights on in any of my current vehicles - because I stopped being an idiot ****** back in 1976. Well at least as far as using my parking lights goes.

Dennis in MA
12-01-2012, 08:45
Auto off lights for the last decade or so. The only problem is finding the switch after it goes in for service. Lol

certifiedfunds
12-01-2012, 08:57
:rofl: Extra points if you can hit a flasher. My buddy did the headlight mod and then removed it after a few rides. He said that people often reacted as they would if a cop had pulled up behind them and started hitting brakes, doing stupid things to get out of his way, etc. Said he felt like it was an accident waiting to happen.

I haven't been running lately but used to run down a rural-ish highway shoulder in the dark. I experimented with a number of safety measures, one of which was wearing blinking lights. What I think I found is that drivers seem to get target fixation trying to sort it out.

I eventually went stealth.

To the original point... Who cares if people drive with parking lights on? Its never bothered me, does it cause some sort of glare for you at dusk/dawn?

Its just one of those things. It is supposed to indicate your car is parked.

More than anything I've always wondered what exactly they thought they were accomplishing by doing it.

bithabus
12-01-2012, 09:27
More than anything I've always wondered what exactly they thought they were accomplishing by doing it.

I do it sometimes, at dusk. The parking lights increase the visibility of my vehicle to other drivers, and it is not dark enough yet to require the illumination of full headlights. I despise daytime running lights.

certifiedfunds
12-01-2012, 09:50
I do it sometimes, at dusk. The parking lights increase the visibility of my vehicle to other drivers, and it is not dark enough yet to require the illumination of full headlights. I despise daytime running lights.

If visibility is compromised why not just use headlights?

F14Scott
12-01-2012, 09:52

Honest question. What would the harm be in just turning on the headlights? Wasted illumination? Wear and tear on the headlight lamps?

Drain You
12-01-2012, 10:05
My vehicle does not have running lights. I never drive with my parking lights. The only time I ever use that mode is when I'm parked and want to see my dash lights.

Maybe that is why they are called parking lights :whistling:

I'm more worried about idiots that don't use their headlights when they should have them on.

bithabus
12-01-2012, 10:14
If visibility is compromised why not just use headlights?

The issue is not my visibility of the road, but other driver's visibility of my vehicle. I know some people have bad eyes and there is a small window where I can see just fine but they might not notice me as well they would in broad daylight. So, sometimes I will use the foglights or parking lights for 30 minutes or so and move to the headlights when it gets dark.

Honest question. What would the harm be in just turning on the headlights? Wasted illumination? Wear and tear on the headlight lamps?

That would look like daytime running lights, and I truly hate daytime running lights. I think they look horrible and I don't like that they are forced on people by manufacturers nowadays.

mrmedina
12-01-2012, 10:17
Some time ago, yes I did drive with PLs a dusk. Yet it seemed defeating of how bad it is to drive at anytime.

certifiedfunds
12-01-2012, 10:22
The issue is not my visibility of the road, but other driver's visibility of my vehicle. I know some people have bad eyes and there is a small window where I can see just fine but they might not notice me as well they would in broad daylight. So, sometimes I will use the foglights or parking lights for 30 minutes or so and move to the headlights when it gets dark.

That would look like daytime running lights, and I truly hate daytime running lights. I think they look horrible and I don't like that they are forced on people by manufacturers nowadays.

That makes no sense. You're all operating in the same lighting conditions.

Besides how do two little yellow lights make your car more visible than headlights.

certifiedfunds
12-01-2012, 10:23

This is my point

bithabus
12-01-2012, 10:31

Besides how do two little yellow lights make your car more visible than headlights.

The conditions are not the same. At one point it is a bit dark and some people are prematurely turning on their headlights, and later it is darker and I need headlights to see better. During the former condition I will sometimes turn on the parking or fog lights so old people can see my car. Maybe I don't need to do this, but I see no harm in doing it as a precaution.

Parking lights do not make my car more visible than the headlights would, but for this purpose they do just fine. I will not turn on my headlights until it gets dark.

certifiedfunds
12-01-2012, 10:32
The conditions are not the same. At one point it is a bit dark and some people are prematurely turning on their headlights, and later it is darker and I need headlights to see better. During the former condition I will sometimes turn on the parking or fog lights so old people can see my car. Maybe I don't need to do this, but I see no harm in doing it as a precaution.

Parking lights do not make my car more visible than the headlights would, but for this purpose they do just fine. I will not turn on my headlights until it gets dark.

That's dumb. Makes no sense.

Which was the point of the thread

bithabus
12-01-2012, 10:33
That's dumb. Makes no sense.

Which was the point of the thread

I think driving with your headlights on before it gets dark is dumb.

certifiedfunds
12-01-2012, 10:34
I think driving with your headlights on before it gets dark is dumb.

Really? Why?

We're talking about lighting conditions where you admit visibility is compromised to the point that you feel you need to illuminate your car so others see it. That's dark.

SMOKEin
12-01-2012, 10:35

how does turning on your headlights before needed hurt.... anything?

bithabus
12-01-2012, 10:41
Really? Why?

We're talking about lighting conditions where you admit visibility is compromised to the point that you feel you need to illuminate your car so others see it. That's dark.

Because of the "daytime running light" thing that has been shoved down our throats by auto manufacturers. People driving around during the day with headlights on just look ridiculous.

If I feel that the conditions require headlights, I will turn them on. I am not one of the people driving around in the dark with parking lights. If I am running only parking lights some of the other vehicles will have no lights on at all. If I feel that there is a slim chance a person with bad eyesight could benefit from some sort of running light on my vehicle, I will use parking lights or fog lights. Headlights are not running lights.

bithabus
12-01-2012, 10:43
how does turning on your headlights before needed hurt.... anything?

I didn't yank out my DRL fuse for no reason.

certifiedfunds
12-01-2012, 10:48
Because of the "daytime running light" thing that has been shoved down our throats by auto manufacturers. People driving around during the day with headlights on just look ridiculous.

If I feel that the conditions require headlights, I will turn them on. I am not one of the people driving around in the dark with parking lights. If I am running only parking lights some of the other vehicles will have no lights on at all. If I feel that there is a slim chance a person with bad eyesight could benefit from some sort of running light on my vehicle, I will use parking lights or fog lights. Headlights are not running lights.

I call bull.

We're talking about dusk, first of all.

Second how do your little yellow lights help the guy more than headlights?

Third why do you want to confuse people like him and put on a lighted indicator telling him you're parked.

How old are you. You sound like a teenager.

certifiedfunds
12-01-2012, 10:48
I didn't yank out my DRL fuse for no reason.

So what was the reason?

bithabus
12-01-2012, 10:54
I call bull.

We're talking about dusk, first of all.

Second how do your little yellow lights help the guy more than headlights?

Third why do you want to confuse people like him and put on a lighted indicator telling him you're parked.

How old are you. You sound like a teenager.

As I said, my intention is not to help "more than headlights". Sometimes all that is required is some type of running light.

So what was the reason?

I hate DRLs and will not use them on my vehicle.

Cochese
12-01-2012, 10:54
Cripple fight!

certifiedfunds
12-01-2012, 10:56
Cripple fight!

Lol!!

sharpshooter
12-01-2012, 10:57
The reason is: His car looks "cool" driving with parking lights on. Headlights are for old "uncool" people.

Time to grow up.

M&P15T
12-01-2012, 10:57
This thread is hilarious.

Parking lights are something slightly less than useless. To use them as some sort of intermediary light source at dusk is even less useful.

Dusk is absolutely the worst time for human vision. We as humans see worst at dusk. As soon as it starts to get dark out there, put on your damn lights....ALL OF THEM.

certifiedfunds
12-01-2012, 11:06
Driving with parking lights at dusk serves no purpose that headlights don't serve better. However, they also increase danger on the road because they force other drivers brains to do additional calculations at a time when processing visual stimuli is the most difficult

What is it? Why is it different than the others? Is it moving or not?

tous
12-01-2012, 11:19

Did you not know that automobile headlights have a fixed stock of photons? If you use them all up during the day, you'll be out of them by night until you stop at the photon store and get more.

And everyone know that if you have the navigation lights glowing on a fighter aircraft, the alien overlords can track you.

:tongueout:

Most of my autombiles from my foreign sports car period many years ago, mainly Porsches, BMWs and one Lotus, had an interestng feature. When the car wasn't running, if you put the turn signal lever down, it would illuminate the parking lights on that side of the car.

I suppose it was to mark the outboard side of the car for other drivers when parallel parked.

Agonizer
12-01-2012, 11:21
I don't have DRL's on my car, but I have been making a habit of turning my headlights on any time I am driving. It makes a big difference in your visibility to other drivers. I have noticed quite a few other drivers do this also around here.

I used to ride a Harley, and it is the law that you have your headlight on all the time. Makes it a little safer to ride.

Anything I can do to improve my chances, I will do.

I never use my parking lights.

M&P15T
12-01-2012, 11:22
Because of the "daytime running light" thing that has been shoved down our throats by auto manufacturers.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Then DISCONNECT them...and stop using it as an excuse to not use your real lights at appropriate times.

AND.....stop buying vehicles from manufacturers that use DRLs, vote with your dollars.

Nothing is being "shoved down our throats".

certifiedfunds
12-01-2012, 11:23
Did you not know that automobile headlights have a fixed stock of photons? If you use them all up during the day, you'll be out of them by night until you stop at the photon store and get more.

And everyone know that if you have the navigation lights glowing on a fighter aircraft, the alien overlords can track you.

Most of my autombiles from my foreign sports car period many years ago, mainly Porsches, BMWs and one Lotus, had an interestng feature. When the car wasn't running, if you put the turn signal lever down, it would illuminate the parking lights on that side of the car.

I suppose it was to mark the outboard side of the car for other drivers when parallel parked.

The pay as you go photon market is growing rapidly. Are you a particle or a wave guy? Personally I buy particles instead of waves. I think they work better and look cooler. You?

Agonizer
12-01-2012, 11:26

:

I believe some people think they are saving electricity by keeping their headlights off as long as possible.

Public school education.:upeyes:

tous
12-01-2012, 11:29
The pay as you go photon market is growing rapidly. Are you a particle or a wave guy? Personally I buy particles instead of waves. I think they work better and look cooler. You?

I tend to use the Copenhagan interpretation with the Certs postulate.

It's a wave!
It's a particle!

No, it's two! Two! Two states in one!

:supergrin:

<--- knows that folk of a certain age that never saw a Certs commerical will be unimpressed by the humor above.

:wavey:

rppnj
12-01-2012, 11:30
If so, why?

Why do people do this?

It's a safety issue. I drive a Black Ford F150, which tends to blend in with the road surface more than lighter colors. So to make sure that I'm seem, I always drive with my headlights on, even during the day or at dusk. Before doing that, I've had people give a quick glance and then pull right out in front of me 'cause they didn't see me. Since riding with my headlights on full time, that hasn't happened.

tous
12-01-2012, 11:31
It's a safety issue. I drive a Black Ford F150, which tends to blend in with the road surface more than lighter colors. So to make sure that I'm seem, I always drive with my headlights on, even during the day or at dusk. Before doing that, I've had people give a quick glance and then pull right out in front of me 'cause they didn't see me. Since riding with my headlights on full time, that hasn't happened.

You live in New Jersey. Folk will pull out on front of you whether you have the headlights on or not, no?

rppnj
12-01-2012, 11:32

Of course, those times when I wasn't seen, I had forgotten to turn off my Klingon "Cloaking Device".

RCP
12-01-2012, 11:34
Because if it was cool enough for Knight Rider than its cool enough for me too.

rppnj
12-01-2012, 11:34
You live in New Jersey. Folk will pull out on front of you whether you have the headlights on or not, no?

You're right! You need an Abrams Tank to drive in Jersey!

Berto
12-01-2012, 12:00

Amen FTMFW.

If I need lights, I use headlights, they seem to work better.

bithabus
12-01-2012, 13:47

I believe that's a "buy one get the other for free" sort of thing.

czsmithGT
12-01-2012, 14:03
Are you a particle or a wave guy?

The inability of your classically trained mind to fully grasp the nuances of quantum-scale objects may be showing.

:car:

certifiedfunds
12-01-2012, 14:04
The inability of your classically trained mind to fully grasp the nuances of quantum-scale objects may be showing.

:car:

Fo Sho

Redheadhunter21
12-01-2012, 14:14
I turn mine on quite often, if its raining or I can't read my dash, I drive a 96 dodge ram so my dash lights don't come on with ignition. Oh and when I need just my fog lights on.

M&P15T
12-01-2012, 14:28
**** it.

When I drive home tonight, I'm just gonna tape my Surefire M951 to the hood, velcro the tape-switch to the steering wheel. The batteries only last 1 hour, so I gotta only use it when I really, really need it.

hpracing007
12-01-2012, 14:36
I do it.

There are 3 setting on my car, off, parking lights, headlights. I use them when daylight, dusk, and then dark.

The reason why I use them at dusk is solely a defensive mood. I only turn on my headlights when they help me see further (at dusk they are useless).

But the people behind me, may benefit from having the rears illuminated. I may be arrogant but there are some crappy drivers, people with bad eyesight.. you can avoid stuff in front of you, but you are up to the mercy of the cars behind you.

Why turn on something for no reason?

M&P15T
12-01-2012, 14:43
I do it.

There are 3 setting on my car, off, parking lights, headlights. I use them when daylight, dusk, and then dark.

The reason why I use them at dusk is solely a defensive mood. I only turn on my headlights when they help me see further (at dusk they are useless).

But the people behind me, may benefit from having the rears illuminated. I may be arrogant but there are some crappy drivers, people with bad eyesight.. you can avoid stuff in front of you, but you are up to the mercy of the cars behind you.

Why turn on something for no reason?

It's not "no reason". Ignorance could get you and others involved in accidents.

Dusk, for the human eye, is absolutely the worst time for vision clarity and depth perception. If you're driving at dusk with just your parking lights on, you're missing a crucial bunch of lights that keep you and others safe. Add in the fact that you may forget to actually turn all your lights on when darkness arrives, and you're taking needless, stupid risks, that don't only effect you.

You're probably too deeply entrenched in habbit and ego to listen to any of this, but you're doing the incorrect thing trying to....do what?.....look cool?

Just turn the damn lights on like 99% of people.

janice6
12-01-2012, 14:49
I believe MN law states the lights have to be on one-half hour prior to sunset and for one-half hour after sunrise and during adverse weather conditions also.

This is for the "other" car to see me.

podwich
12-01-2012, 15:46

Just flash your brights on and off back at them.

dan1488
12-01-2012, 17:02
after reading some of these posts, I am gonna make it a point to drive more often with my parking lights on. Some of y'all need to lighten up or get la*d.

syntaxerrorsix
12-01-2012, 17:04
It's illegal to drive with parking lamps or 4-ways on here. I operate both my vehicles with all the lights on all the time.

We operated all military equipment in a similar manner unless deployed or in the field. I also back into my parking places so maybe it's force of habit or maybe it's just common sense.

DanaT
12-01-2012, 17:44

They are required in Europe. If you park on the streets, you understand why you might want a light on on the side that is towards the street.

vart
12-01-2012, 19:46
Just turn the damn lights on like 99% of people.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-XUSZpQsdv28/Ta-HRl-bJOI/AAAAAAAAAKw/vmWirXZGYg8/s1600/STOP-LIKING-what-i-dont-LIKE.jpg

fran m
12-01-2012, 19:51
If streetlights are on your headlights should be on too.

If it is dusk or dawn and you have day time running lights turn on your headlights. DRLs are often a powered down HIGH beam. Blinding to oncoming drivers and no tail lights or side marker lights are on on the vehicle.

I notice Prius drivers often driving with no headlights on in the dark. My gut tells me that they are trying to get all that they can out of the battery. It is also possible that drivers of that car don't have the common sense to turn them on.

syntaxerrorsix
12-01-2012, 20:39
If streetlights are on your headlights should be on too.

If it is dusk or dawn and you have day time running lights turn on your headlights. DRLs are often a powered down HIGH beam. Blinding to oncoming drivers and no tail lights or side marker lights are on on the vehicle.

I notice Prius drivers often driving with no headlights on in the dark. My gut tells me that they are trying to get all that they can out of the battery. It is also possible that drivers of that car don't have the common sense to turn them on.

Good point DRL's have no tail lights for most make's and models.

Hell I get 31mpg with a turbo charged 200HP Cooper. Ask me why I laugh at Prius.

Harper
12-01-2012, 22:19
Dusk is absolutely the worst time for human vision. We as humans see worst at dusk. As soon as it starts to get dark out there, put on your damn lights....ALL OF THEM.

Yes, thank you. At dusk when most people start turning on their headlights it's hard to see cars without them on in your rearview mirror.

Even worse is how many people obliviously drive around with no headlights at night. I flash my lights at them sometimes and they never turn them on.

AZ DBLTRBL
12-01-2012, 22:44
I have automatic headlights. No need for me to move a switch.

No auto headlights...but at dusk the headlights come on. Just how I roll...

silversport
12-02-2012, 06:17
low light conditions cause me to put my headlights on (if the auto headlights haven't already activated) as I like to be seen...so many accidents can be avoided if you are seen IMO...

...cool childhood memory...just getting to be dusk on a quiet street near Lake Geneve, Wisconsin (in Fontana)...navy blue Stingray driving with the yellow parking lights...I thought it was a giant tarantula moving along that road...just looked badazz...

Bill

Atlas
12-02-2012, 06:41

It does make sense..
Headlights or "parking lights", regardless...

We're operating in the same lighting conditions, yes, but not (unfortunately) with the same vision.

My vision is very poor.
Among my several eyesight problems is lighting contrasts.
There are very often conditions on the road where it's nowhere near dark enough that most drivers would think to switch on headlamps and most auto-headlamps are not yet activated, but where I will see your car a second or two sooner if you have some lights on, whether parking lights, DRLs, or headlamps.

This time of year, it can even be a factor a couple of hour before darkness.

DRLs are not useless...
Maybe for your vision, but not for mine, and it is to your advantage that I see you coming.
Its all a matter of light levels, contrast (remaining sunlight or other light source in my line of sight), and color of the background versus the color and size of your vehicle.
It's a very dynamic, moment-by-moment situation.

Sure, DRLs accomplish nothing at high noon in summer, when they're not even visible, but they ensure that there will be at least some visible light from the car in all conditions, at all times.

Human beings notice and respond to light. It's part of our evolution.

Trust me, I'm not the only driver out there with less than good vision... Been driving for 40 years. Due to my work I've covered many, many miles in all conditions. The only accidents I've had were where others screwed-up, excluding a couple of dumb moves when I was a kid and first began.

KennyFSU
12-02-2012, 07:08
A lot of cars have the parking lights turn on automatically (my dad's C5, for instance) so they have no choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

certifiedfunds
12-02-2012, 08:11
It does make sense..
Headlights or "parking lights", regardless...

We're operating in the same lighting conditions, yes, but not (unfortunately) with the same vision.

My vision is very poor.
There are very often conditions on the road where it's nowhere near dark enough that most drivers would think to switch on headlamps and most auto-headlamps are not yet activated, but where I will see your car a second or two sooner if you have some lights on, whether parking lights, DRLs, or headlamps.

This time of year, it can even be a factor a couple of hour before darkness.

DRLs are not useless...
Maybe for your vision, but not for mine, and it is to your advantage that I see you coming.
Its all a matter of light levels, contrast (remaining sunlight or other light source in my line of sight), and color of the background versus the color and size of your vehicle.
It's a very dynamic, moment-by-moment situation.

Sure, DRLs accomplish nothing at high noon in summer, when they're not even visible, but they ensure that there will be at least some visible light from the car in all conditions, at all times.

Human beings notice and respond to light. It's part of our evolution.

Trust me, I'm not the only driver out there with less than good vision... Been driving for 40 years. Due to my work I've covered many, many miles in all conditions. The only accidents I've had were where others screwed-up, excluding a couple of dumb moves when I was a kid and first began.

Somehow I doubt the fellow I was responding to is an ophthamologist and well-versed in the various nuances of low level lighting contrasts. My point to him was that the entire human race struggles to see at dusk. It is a documented fact. If the gentleman detected that lighting conditions were compromised to the point that he felt it important enough to turn an electronic switch 1/4 of a rotation to illuminate a couple of small yellow lights to aid other drivers, then it makes absolutely no sense not to turn the switch an additional 1/4 rotation to illuminate the full headlamps which would not only provide other drivers with greater visibility of his vehicle but might also provide him with a little additional visibility. Maybe his mother was an owl. He didn't say.

He mentioned that he thought DRLs "looked stupid", so he removed the fuse for his. I drive about 40,000 miles a year and I have yet to encounter a situation where I could see my own DRLs while driving. I do however see other drivers' DRLs. Those are the DRLs I am looking at when driving that look stupid the this gentleman. I'm not sure how disabling my own DRLs in any way improves how stupid the things I am looking at appear.

Finally, as you know our brains make thousands of split second calculations while driving. We work on pattern recognition and normalcy bias. So when one encounters hundreds of cars driving at dusk that are well illuminated with either DRLs or headlamps -- and then see some odd dark shadowy figure with two yellow lights on each corner which indicate it should be stationary, yet it is moving through an intersection -- something is amiss and our brains must process additional data to make a driving judgement.

certifiedfunds
12-02-2012, 08:14
A lot of cars have the parking lights turn on automatically (my dad's C5, for instance) so they have no choice.

No they don't.

DustyJacket
12-02-2012, 08:19
If so, why?

Why do people do this?

I use my headlights all the time.

In winter, I go to work in the 1/2 hour before sunrise.
Legally you don't have to use the lights at that time, nor withing 1/2 hour of sunset.

The sky is just lightening a bit from pitch black, but the roads/vehicles/trees are all black.

I have to enter a 4-lane road from a side street.
Seems like 2-3 times a year, some nitwit is driving totally blacked out, and you cannot see he/she is coming until they pass in front of someone else's headlights.

It is spooky and amazes me these folks don't care about their own safety.

KennyFSU
12-02-2012, 08:33
No they don't.

Yes, they do.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/c5-technical-performance/58262-front-parking-lights-always-whats.html

sheriff733
12-02-2012, 08:37
Well, I learned a lot from this thread.

From now on, no matter the time of day, I am driving around with my parking lights on. Think I'm going to go ahead and covert to LED so I don't have to worry about replacing them but once every 10 years. So for $40 I can piss people off for 10 years at a time. That's a heck of a rate of return.

Good to know I can irritate so many people, with the flick of a wrist, just driving around as usual.

Do people really worry about what other people do this much? I guess I just have better things to think about than a parking lights or headlights debate.

Just goes to show, you never know what argument you'll find on GT. You just never know.

:dunno:

certifiedfunds
12-02-2012, 08:38
Yes, they do.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/c5-technical-performance/58262-front-parking-lights-always-whats.html

Ok. Touche'. Some cars with flip ups in lieu of DRLs.

No cars with standard headlamps have parking lamps automatically illuminate in low light conditions, which was the point of the thread: drivers who purposely turn them on.

Cooper
12-02-2012, 08:46
Haven't read the whole thread.

Having studied a great deal about how human vision works, and having been on the scene of lots of accidents, I'm a big supporter of whatever kind of lights people want to use, provided they don't blind other drivers. If you want to drive down the road with a bikini-clad supermodel in the bed of your truck waving a Surefire and a sparkler, I'm all for it.

686Owner
12-02-2012, 08:58
Well, I learned a lot from this thread.

From now on, no matter the time of day, I am driving around with my parking lights on. Think I'm going to go ahead and covert to LED so I don't have to worry about replacing them but once every 10 years. So for $40 I can piss people off for 10 years at a time. That's a heck of a rate of return.

Good to know I can irritate so many people, with the flick of a wrist, just driving around as usual.

Do people really worry about what other people do this much? I guess I just have better things to think about than a parking lights or headlights debate.

Just goes to show, you never know what argument you'll find on GT. You just never know.

:dunno:

The point is, if you have parking lights on, I think you are parked and will pull out in front of you from now on, as well as cut you off.

certifiedfunds
12-02-2012, 09:05
The point is, if you have parking lights on, I think you are parked and will pull out in front of you from now on, as well as cut you off.

I'm even considering buying an old beater pickup to drive around and do exactly that.

sheriff733
12-02-2012, 09:13
I'm even considering buying an old beater pickup to drive around and do exactly that.

I think you're on the right track with that!

DanaT
12-02-2012, 09:17
My vision is very poor.

:wow::wow::wow::wow:

You do not see that driving with very poor vision is a danger to everyone around you and probably illegal as well? There are minimum vision requirements for driving and I suspect "very poor" is not legal.

sheriff733
12-02-2012, 09:17

Well, I suppose if little orange lights make you think a moving truck headed down the street is parked, then you are going to pull out in front of folks and cut them off anyway.

Atlas
12-02-2012, 09:30
:wow::wow::wow::wow:

You do not see that driving with very poor vision is a danger to everyone around you and probably illegal as well? There are minimum vision requirements for driving and I suspect "very poor" is not legal.

If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the...

I learned years ago that those with "normal" vision cannot understand anything else. I say "I have very poor vision" and most who do have normal vision can only assume that I mean my vision is something like when a camera is out of focus.
It isn't like that at all.

Yeah, my vision is very poor, especially after dark.
I have essentially no vision (maybe 5%) in one eye.
The opposite eye is seriously myopic (minus 9).
The myopia is handled with eyeglasses, but that is only part of the situation. There are various other aspects, both individually and resulting from the aggregate of all factors.

I can legally drive because my ophthalmologist says I can..
Meaning, when it comes time for a license renewal I go first to my ophthalmologist, he examines me and submits a standard state-issued form which certifies that in his professional judgment I can see well enough to drive. That's because I know in advance I can't pass the test at the DMV.
Over 40 years I have always been able to get that form, and that from many different ophthalmologists.

Again, I drive more than most due to working on a contract per-project basis for various employers.
Over 40 years I've had no accidents except where others were at fault.
Near accidents I have all the time though..
Life's tough.

DanaT
12-02-2012, 09:38
Near accidents I have all the time though..

my take away is your ophthalmologist is putting the public in danger and its a damn good thing other people can see and pay attention to you or you would be involved in a lot of wrecks.

having "near accidents" all the time means you are dangerous. And they are not "accidents", they are near collisions.

accident: any event that happens unexpectedly, without a deliberate plan or [b]cause]/b]

If you cant see and are driving that is not an UNEXPECTED CAUSE.

Just like running a red light and hitting another car. It is not an accident. But I digress (as normal).

Atlas
12-02-2012, 09:46
my take away is your ophthalmologist is putting the public in danger and its a damn good thing other people can see and pay attention to you or you would be involved in a lot of wrecks.

having "near accidents" all the time means you are dangerous. And they are not "accidents", they are near collisions.

accident: any event that happens unexpectedly, without a deliberate plan or [b]cause]/b]

If you cant see and are driving that is not an UNEXPECTED CAUSE.

Just like running a red light and hitting another car. It is not an accident. But I digress (as normal).

Good thing you aren't in my AO... :cool:

That form is a state-issued standard form. Meaning of course that i am not the only driver out there who requires it.

DustyJacket
12-02-2012, 09:52
... drive down the road with a bikini-clad supermodel in the bed of your truck waving a Surefire and a sparkler, I'm all for it.

Where does one get that lighting upgrade?

certifiedfunds
12-02-2012, 09:57
Well, I suppose if little orange lights make you think a moving truck headed down the street is parked, then you are going to pull out in front of folks and cut them off anyway.

Well, that is the purpose of PARKING LIGHTS, to provide a lighted visual indicator that a vehicle is parked.

sheriff733
12-02-2012, 10:19
Well, that is the purpose of PARKING LIGHTS, to provide a lighted visual indicator that a vehicle is parked.

I park on the street in front of my home every day. I don't leave the parking lights on indicating it's parked when I get out to go inside.

Should my neighbors wait for my truck to pass before they pull out of their driveway? The parking lights aren't on and the truck is on the street. So, it must be in motion, right? That's the same logic. Just because a vehicle has parking lights on means nothing at all. Doesn't mean it's parked, doesn't mean it's not. They're lights. It's no deeper than that.

If you come to a "T" in the road and are about to make a right turn onto a street from another street and you look to your left and see a car coming with their right turn signal on, indicating that they will be turning onto the street you are turning from. Do you wait that extra few seconds to see if they are turning before you pull out or do you just blindly turn in front of them? After all, their turn signal is on, so there is zero chance of them not turning.

Not trying to start a fight with you CF. All I'm saying is it's really not that big of a deal. Just exercise a little common sense and all will be just fine. People do silly things for silly reasons. No need to get bent out of shape over it.

certifiedfunds
12-02-2012, 10:26
I park on the street in front of my home every day. I don't leave the parking lights on indicating it's parked when I get out to go inside.

Should my neighbors wait for my truck to pass before they pull out of their driveway? The parking lights aren't on and the truck is on the street. So, it must be in motion, right? That's the same logic. Just because a vehicle has parking lights on means nothing at all. Doesn't mean it's parked, doesn't mean it's not. They're lights. It's no deeper than that.

If you come to a "T" in the road and are about to make a right turn onto a street from another street and you look to your left and see a car coming with their right turn signal on, indicating that they will be turning onto the street you are turning from. Do you wait that extra few seconds to see if they are turning before you pull out or do you just blindly turn in front of them? After all, their turn signal is on, so there is zero chance of them not turning.

Not trying to start a fight with you CF. All I'm saying is it's really not that big of a deal. Just exercise a little common sense and all will be just fine. People do silly things for silly reasons. No need to get bent out of shape over it.

686Owner
12-02-2012, 10:29

And I guess if you go so far as to take effort to signal that your car is parked while you are driving, even though there is a law against it in many (most?) states because you "don't like" turning on the headlights, you will be too dumb to understand.

czsmithGT
12-02-2012, 10:29
Ok. Touche'. Some cars with flip ups in lieu of DRLs.

No cars with standard headlamps have parking lamps automatically illuminate in low light conditions, which was the point of the thread: drivers who purposely turn them on.

The front parking/DRL/turn signal bulb has two filaments.
The dimmer one is used for parking/running lights and the brighter one is both the DRL and the turn signal. My understanding was that on the Corvette, what people call parking lights being on all the time is actually the DRL being on all the time (ie whenever the headlights are not on), not the parking light- same location but different filament. However, I'm not a Chevy mechanic so I could be mistaken.

686Owner
12-02-2012, 10:30

I'm the guy that turns :)

TBO
12-02-2012, 10:50
I don't drive with my parking lights on for the simple fact I'm not a ****** bag.

Sent from the capacitor of my Taser using Tapatalk 2

DanaT
12-02-2012, 11:17
I don't drive with my parking lights on foot the simple fact I'm not a ****** bag.

Sent from the capacitor of my Taser using Tapatalk 2

Then what is your reason that you do it?

Atlas
12-02-2012, 11:27
Then what is your reason that you do it?

Now Dana....

TBO
12-02-2012, 11:46
To confuse wannabe euro trash.
Seems to work all too well.

Sent from the toe of my jack boot using Tapatalk 2

pipedreams
12-02-2012, 12:02
What are Parking Lights?

http://www.wisegeek.org/what-are-parking-lights.htm

Maybe this will add fuel to the fire.

sheriff733
12-02-2012, 12:17
And I guess if you go so far as to take effort to signal that your car is parked while you are driving, even though there is a law against it in many (most?) states because you "don't like" turning on the headlights, you will be too dumb to understand.

:rofl:

Ok, you win.

I'll just drive around day or night with my brights on instead.

sheriff733
12-02-2012, 12:18
I'm the guy that turns :)

Me too, because I'm ready to retire, but that's beside the point.

czsmithGT
12-02-2012, 12:22
In West Virginia it is a law that you must turn your headlights on in the daytime whenever your windshield wipers are on. Headlights, not parking lights.

In Pennsylvania you must turn your headlights on in the daytime when driving in posted work zones, whether or not there is work going on at the time. Even if you have daytime running lights, you still have to turn on your regular headlights.

Those are the laws, but I don't know how often, if ever, people get pulled over for violating them.

DanaT
12-02-2012, 12:53
To confuse wannabe euro trash.
Seems to work all too well.

Some people are confused by double negatives.

TBO
12-02-2012, 13:34
Some people are so good at being intentionally disingenuous they even appear to buy it themselves.

DanaT
12-02-2012, 13:51
Some people are so good at being intentionally disingenuous they even appear to buy it themselves.

Is "disingenuous" your favorite word?

Here are some new words that mean similar things. Maybe you should try them out. Kinda a Sesame Street kinda thing.

artful, crooked, cunning, deceitful, designing, dishonest, duplicitous, false, feigned, foxy, guileful, indirect, insidious, mendacious, oblique, shifty, sly, tricky, two-faced, uncandid, underhanded, unfair, unfrank, wily

TBO
12-02-2012, 13:57
Are you confused, or just disingenuous?

DanaT
12-02-2012, 14:02
Are you confused, or just disingenuous?

You really like that word, almost a love affair with it.

TBO
12-02-2012, 14:05
It fits you so well.

Now put up some weak non-reply to have the last word and sooth the ego you caused to be bruised.

Atlas
12-02-2012, 14:17
If you boys can't play together nicely, we'll have to separate you.
Now shake hands and apologize...

DanaT
12-02-2012, 14:18
If you boys can't play together nicely, we'll have to separate you.
Now shake hands and apologize...

I only like hugs and kisses.

Atlas
12-02-2012, 14:25
I only like hugs and kisses.

:grouphug: :smootchie:

There now.... feel better?

Atlas
12-02-2012, 14:27
You boys go on outside and play now...

and NO MORE FIGHTING!

Dinner will be ready soon.

certifiedfunds
12-02-2012, 14:48
I never thought a thread about parking lights would go downhill..........

tous
12-02-2012, 14:59

And you're not the reason it went downhill.

That has to be confounding.

Atlas
12-02-2012, 15:19

Uhhh, this is GT/GNG.

A thread about sunshine could become a disagreement here.

tous
12-02-2012, 15:25
Atlas, amigo.

I can't agree that a thread about sunshine would become a disagreement.
You obviously know nothing about sunshine.
Why, no less an authority than the Fifth Dimension asked us all to let the sunshine in and anyone that advocates keeping the sunshine out must be too dumb to dress themselves, a dam cummunist or a dope-smoking pinko hippie.

So, there. :miff:

:tease:

Atlas
12-02-2012, 15:32
You are my sunshine, my only sunshine, you make me happy-y-y when skies are gray..

Shinytop
12-02-2012, 15:39
I only use parking lights when driving to my mailbox to pick up my social security check.

tous
12-02-2012, 15:41
I only use parking lights when driving to my mailbox to pick up my social security check.

Now, we know that's not exactly true.

Anyone operating an automobile enroute to collecting a Social Security payment is required, by law, in all 57 states, to have their left turn signal on in perpetuity.

certifiedfunds
12-02-2012, 16:05
And you're not the reason it went downhill.

That has to be confounding.

:rofl: Well, I tried :dunno:

tous
12-02-2012, 17:58
You are my sunshine, my only sunshine, you make me happy-y-y when skies are gray..

Ain't no sunshine when she's gone ...

certifiedfunds
12-02-2012, 18:42
Louisiana Sunshine Bridge, named after former Louisiana Governor, and country music hall of fame member, Jimmy Davis' song "You Are My Sunshine"

http://www.johnweeks.com/river_mississippi/pages/lmiss13.html

Atlas
12-02-2012, 18:59
Ain't no sunshine when she's gone ...

...and-d-d she's always gone too long..

tous
12-02-2012, 19:34
... anytime, she goes away.

czsmithGT
12-02-2012, 20:21
Louisiana Sunshine Bridge, named after former Louisiana Governor, and country music hall of fame member, Jimmy Davis' song "You Are My Sunshine"

http://www.johnweeks.com/river_mississippi/pages/lmiss13.html

I don't mean to sound harsh, but that is one butt-ugly bridge. The bridges in my neck of the woods are much more aesthetically pleasing, although perhaps somewhat utilitarian:

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i59/CzsmithGT/79074338SEeAjade.jpg

certifiedfunds
12-02-2012, 20:24
I don't mean to sound harsh, but that is one butt-ugly bridge. The bridges in my neck of the woods are much more aesthetically pleasing, although perhaps somewhat utilitarian:

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i59/CzsmithGT/79074338SEeAjade.jpg

Oh yeah. It sure is ugly. We have lots of ugly bridges.

10mm Sonny
12-03-2012, 00:27
The front parking/DRL/turn signal bulb has two filaments.
The dimmer one is used for parking/running lights and the brighter one is both the DRL and the turn signal. My understanding was that on the Corvette, what people call parking lights being on all the time is actually the DRL being on all the time (ie whenever the headlights are not on), not the parking light- same location but different filament. However, I'm not a Chevy mechanic so I could be mistaken.

You are correct.

silversport
12-03-2012, 05:31
... anytime, she goes away.

I know...I know...I know...I know...:supergrin:

Bill

TBO
12-03-2012, 08:26
What that bridge lacks in beauty it makes up for with character.

certifiedfunds
12-03-2012, 08:35
The bridge has a really great personality.

TBO
12-03-2012, 08:39
One of the things I'd eventually like to do is learn to use a camera better (and get a better camera).
A subject like that bridge can be captured in many different ways depending on lighting conditions.
I've seen some "paint by light" photos online recently that used similar subjects. Very cool.

mgs
12-03-2012, 08:54
No, they are called parking lights, not driving lights.

IF I need lights I turn on real lights.

Ding, ding, ding.....correct!

JuneyBooney
12-03-2012, 09:32
If so, why?

Why do people do this?

Some of us without automatic lights do turn them on so others may see us. There are many times that if I did not see the gray cars at dusk or dawn that I could have hit them. It happens all the time. Lights do make cars more visible.

SC Tiger
12-03-2012, 09:40
If so, why?

Why do people do this?

DRLs until it gets dark enough to need the headlights. I never understood only using the parking lights - it's not like it will save fuel or anything.

That said I think a lot of cars use the "park lights" for the DRLs on the front.

M&P15T
12-03-2012, 09:42
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-XUSZpQsdv28/Ta-HRl-bJOI/AAAAAAAAAKw/vmWirXZGYg8/s1600/STOP-LIKING-what-i-dont-LIKE.jpg

Cute, but pointless.

It's not about what I like. It's about laws and scientifically studied human vision traits. There's some ignorance tossed in for some people too.

series1811
12-03-2012, 09:44
Now, we know that's not exactly true.

Anyone operating an automobile enroute to collecting a Social Security payment is required, by law, in all 57 states, to have their left turn signal on in perpetuity.

:rofl::rofl:

series1811
12-03-2012, 09:47
Here's one sure to generate some controversy. Who the F designed car doors to start locking themselves.

I got locked out of my car the other morning by doing this innocent act. I opened my car from the passenger door, reached in and cranked it, and then shut the door and a half a second later, heard my car lock me out (with the motor running and the other set of keys in my office desk drawer, ten miles away).

Who at the car design factory thought that stupid **** up? :dunno:

SC Tiger
12-03-2012, 09:48
Here's one sure to generate some controversy. Who the F designed car doors to start locking themselves.

I got locked out of my car the other morning by doing this innocent act. I opened my car from the passenger door, reached in and cranked it, and then shut the door and a half a second later, heard my car lock me out (with the motor running and the other set of keys in my office desk drawer).

Who at the car design factory thought that stupid **** up? :dunno:

Most only lock when the car is put into gear or when a particular speed is hit. Never heard of them locking as soon as the door is shut.

series1811
12-03-2012, 09:51
Most only lock when the car is put into gear or when a particular speed is hit. Never heard of them locking as soon as the door is shut.

Me either. But, the in gear thing is annoying, too. I used to have to disable that on my work cars because we would all be fumbling with the door locks when trying to jump out on people as you rolled up. Why are we not allowed to lock the f'ing doors when we feel like it?

KennyFSU
12-03-2012, 10:05
I blame Hal.

http://www.jeffbots.com/hal.jpg

tous
12-03-2012, 10:10
I blame Hal.

http://www.jeffbots.com/hal.jpg

Just a moment...just a moment...I've just picked up a fault in the AE-35 parking light unit. It's going to go a hundred percent failure within 72 hours of dusk

:scared:

Atlas
12-03-2012, 10:17
Just a moment...just a moment...I've just picked up a fault in the AE-35 parking light unit. It's going to go a hundred percent failure within 72 hours of dusk

:rofl: :rofl: :thumbsup:

DanaT
12-03-2012, 10:20
Me either. But, the in gear thing is annoying, too. I used to have to disable that on my work cars because we would all be fumbling with the door locks when trying to jump out on people as you rolled up. Why are we not allowed to lock the f'ing doors when we feel like it?

Its all in the name of child safety...

I am still surprised most people born before 1995 lived through childhood without the latest in car safety.

JuneyBooney
12-03-2012, 10:23
I do, because my car looks totally cool with just the parking lights and LEDs on, and I'm a selfish D-bag...:tongueout:

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy35/idowa/vehicles/100_0037.jpg

I agree. It looks cool. :cool:

686Owner
12-03-2012, 10:24
I agree. It looks cool. :cool:

I disagree. I think the lights look mismatched.

Glock20 10mm
12-03-2012, 11:47
I drive with lights on all the time.

WilliamDahl
12-03-2012, 11:54
Texas has some very courteous highway drivers......pretty good respect for the passing lane, etc. But I swear on my kid's teddy bear that the moment they cross the Sabine River the all hang out in the left lane. I honestly think it's a when in rome thing. They probably think its the law here.

Probably because the right lane of a Louisiana highway is usually in a lot worse condition than the left lane...

WilliamDahl
12-03-2012, 13:16
I despise daytime running lights.

Agreed... I installed a toggle switch on my Harley so that I could turn off the headlamp if I desire.

sioux565
12-03-2012, 13:18
Agreed... I installed a toggle switch on my Harley so that I could turn off the headlamp if I desire.

That has to be the dumbest thing I've heard someone doing.

KennyFSU
12-03-2012, 13:50

Have you heard of someone trying to eat their own face?

syntaxerrorsix
12-03-2012, 14:04
What exactly is there to despise about DRL's? You can't see them and other people can see you.

WilliamDahl
12-03-2012, 15:15

Maybe, maybe not...

Have you ever modified one of the Olin plastic 12-gauge flare guns to fire regular 12-gauge shells and then fired it?

<oops>
<ouch>

wjv
12-03-2012, 18:04
Actually they are NOT called parking lights anymore.
They are called running lights.

In the Pacific NW they are handy during the day when it's still light out but it's raining and raining and raining and raining and raining and raining and raining and raining. . .

In WA State they are required to be on when it's raining, even during the day. .

WilliamDahl
12-03-2012, 18:08

In the Pacific NW they are handy during the day when it's still light out but it's raining and raining and raining and raining and raining and raining and raining and raining. . .

In WA State they are required to be on when it's raining, even during the day. .

It's also possible that they would result in less glare back to the driver in certain weather conditions than having your regular lights (or even the DRL) on...

syntaxerrorsix
12-03-2012, 18:10
Both my truck and car refer to them as parking lights.

I better go inform them.

Harper
12-03-2012, 18:57

You've apparently never coasted up to a house in the dark you were about to perform a hit on.

cesaros
12-03-2012, 19:19
Didn't realize so many people wasted so much effort hating my daytime LED lights...

I'll make sure to continue to use them.

TBO
12-03-2012, 19:57
Corey Hart - Sunglasses At Night - YouTube

Bow Commander
12-03-2012, 20:12
It bugs me too. Kind of like a loud muffler.

G29Reload
12-03-2012, 20:43

Drl's = parking lights.

Iresputably ridikolas. If its dark out put your headlights on. Otherwise leave em off. One of.my newer vehicles always has em on. Damn govt regs i think

HollowHead
12-03-2012, 20:50

Why the "P" on the middle setting of the stalk on our 2012 then? HH

podwich
12-03-2012, 20:59
I set my lights to auto and let the car figure everything out.

certifiedfunds
12-03-2012, 21:07
I set my lights to auto and let the car figure everything out.

Does it turn on your parking lights at dusk or switch over to your headlights?

Shinytop
12-03-2012, 21:09
I don't like the auto setting. I usually prefer to turn my lights before the automatic setting will do it. I like to be seen.

Glotin
12-04-2012, 00:42
Why use parking lights? Because they increase visibility without running your headlights. I prefer not to burn my headlights unless I need them. I am still visible to other drivers without making it difficult for them to see. It also reduces glare in many situations. I believe some people also do it to reduce gas consumption/headlamp replacement.

When I had my Lotus I always ran with the parking lights on for visibility because those lights are setup funny and the spacing on the headlights can confuse people when they can see only two headlights.

It's pretty easy to tell a lot of you guys aren't car guys.

DWARREN123
12-04-2012, 03:48
My vehicle has DRL's so I don't turn any lights on unless the weather is bad. :supergrin:

Peace Warrior
12-04-2012, 04:10
I've got parking lights?

Rick O'Shay
12-04-2012, 05:23
Much MUCH worse is meeting jacked up trucks and SUV's with their fog lights on at night, when there's no fog! Incredibly hard on my eyes when I meet one. The 4WD trucks especiallly, with big tires. Puts those dxxn lights level with your eyes when you're in a regular vehicle.
My automatic light switch setting keeps the "parking lights" on all the time, accompanied by very dim headlights.

WilliamDahl
12-04-2012, 05:25
I don't like the auto setting. I usually prefer to turn my lights before the automatic setting will do it. I like to be seen.

I don't like the auto setting for lights since I don't trust them. I prefer to be in control of when the lights are on or off. I don't want to go out to my car one morning to find that the auto-off headlights didn't go off and I thus have a dead battery.

686Owner
12-04-2012, 06:54
Why use parking lights? Because they increase visibility without running your headlights. I prefer not to burn my headlights unless I need them. I am still visible to other drivers without making it difficult for them to see. It also reduces glare in many situations. I believe some people also do it to reduce gas consumption/headlamp replacement.

When I had my Lotus I always ran with the parking lights on for visibility because those lights are setup funny and the spacing on the headlights can confuse people when they can see only two headlights.

It's pretty easy to tell a lot of you guys aren't car guys.

Extra gas and wear and tear on your headlights will probably cost you $10 over your lifetime.

It's pretty easy to tell that you are a car guy, because you ignore the laws regarding cars.

686Owner
12-04-2012, 07:01

Do you have a source for this? The only references I can find for "running lights" are daytime running lights, which are usually headlights, or the LEDs installed near the headlights. Also, I can only find references to parking lights being illegal to use while operating the car in many states.

WilliamDahl
12-04-2012, 07:34
The laws related to car lighting has changed over the years. There are also different customs, depending upon where you live. As someone who has driven in many different states AND COUNTRIES, I find it a bit ridiculous that someone would get all bent out of shape over whether someone had their front amber lights on during the daytime or during times of reduced visibility. The idea that they are "parking" lights goes back to quite a few years ago when cars did not have reflectors and this was used so that if someone was parked in a narrow alley with their lights off, they could still be visible. In the US, cars were required to have side marker retroreflectors which served the same purpose, but did not require power.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_lighting#Front_position_lamps_.28parking_lamps.2C_standing_lamps.29

Also, you have to remember that the laws related to what lights and reflectors that a car must be equipped with have changed over the years and many of us are old enough that we started with one custom and have stayed with that custom over the years.

Personally, I'm less concerned with the person who has their amber lights on during the day or at dusk than the person who is so clueless that they have NO lights on and are still driving down the freeway at night.

certifiedfunds
12-04-2012, 07:41
The laws related to car lighting has changed over the years. There are also different customs, depending upon where you live. As someone who has driven in many different states AND COUNTRIES, I find it a bit ridiculous that someone would get all bent out of shape over whether someone had their front amber lights on during the daytime or during times of reduced visibility. The idea that they are "parking" lights goes back to quite a few years ago when cars did not have reflectors and this was used so that if someone was parked in a narrow alley with their lights off, they could still be visible. In the US, cars were required to have side marker retroreflectors which served the same purpose, but did not require power.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_lighting#Front_position_lamps_.28parking_lamps.2C_standing_lamps.29

Also, you have to remember that the laws related to what lights and reflectors that a car must be equipped with have changed over the years and many of us are old enough that we started with one custom and have stayed with that custom over the years.

Personally, I'm less concerned with the person who has their amber lights on during the day or at dusk than the person who is so clueless that they have NO lights on and are still driving down the freeway at night.

It isn't that someone puts the ambers on during the day, its that at dusk when the human eye is at its worst, they put on the ambers INSTEAD of full headlights which do the job better when there is no logical reason for it except that some folks like the one upthread think it looks cooler.

timbgtm
12-04-2012, 07:44
Back in the 80"s (my younger years)it was the cool thing to do.Hotrod camaro with along line of cars in a lighted strip mall.Those was the good ole days.No I don't drive with the parking lights on know,I have the auto lights.

Poncho1969
12-04-2012, 07:45
Nope. They are parking lights for a reason.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Kingtubby
12-04-2012, 10:15
It isn't that someone puts the ambers on during the day, its that at dusk when the human eye is at its worst, they put on the ambers INSTEAD of full headlights which do the job better when there is no logical reason for it except that some folks like the one upthread think it looks cooler.

Around here, where four legged critters abound on the highways, running lights at dusk vs a big truck with bright led low beam's that blind oncoming cars, is considered a courtesy. You wont get a ticket till the light gets really low, ive asked a trooper or two.

Cause as you said, dusk is when our eyes have the most trouble. And adjusting from being blinded to being capable of picking up a bunch of deer crossing the highway isnt easy for the best of drivers.

Dusk also happens to be the ungulate's most active time of the day. Saw four of em crossing the road right in town last night.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m146/upsetterythym/MontanaSunsetAug_05SoloTour.jpg

syntaxerrorsix
12-04-2012, 11:07

I can assure you that you aren't the only one that has lived and driven in other states AND COUNTRIES and in most of them it's illegal to run parking lamps while moving.

From your link "It is now illegal in many countries to drive a vehicle with parking lamps illuminated, unless the headlamps are also illuminated."

686Owner
12-04-2012, 11:18

So we just have to wait for all the old people to die off so that people will start driving properly? And it's my fault for expecting people to obey the law?

I don't get bent out of shape about it, I just think it's silly at best and the person is misinformed at worst. I rarely see anyone driving with no lights on though. I'm usually on unlit backroads at night and oncoming traffic probably wouldn't last long before running off the roads without headlights.

Civilian sheep Dog
12-04-2012, 11:47
I've always driven with my parking lights on. 1. My car looks cool 2. they say people can spot your car easier and lets be honest this country wants everything done easy.

WilliamDahl
12-04-2012, 11:51
I can assure you that you aren't the only one that has lived and driven in other states AND COUNTRIES and in most of them it's illegal to run parking lamps while moving.

From your link "It is now illegal in many countries to drive a vehicle with parking lamps illuminated, unless the headlamps are also illuminated."

The key words there are "now" and "many"... In other words, it didn't used to be (and a lot of people don't keep up with the changes in the laws) and also that some countries don't have those rules...

WilliamDahl
12-04-2012, 11:54
So we just have to wait for all the old people to die off so that people will start driving properly? And it's my fault for expecting people to obey the law?

I don't get bent out of shape about it, I just think it's silly at best and the person is misinformed at worst. I rarely see anyone driving with no lights on though. I'm usually on unlit backroads at night and oncoming traffic probably wouldn't last long before running off the roads without headlights.

How old are you?

Don't worry, when the "old people" die off, you'll be the one of the new "old people" and the youngsters will be complaining about your driving since the rules at that time will probably have changed from what you grew up with.

Micad
12-04-2012, 13:00
You say it was a late model pick up?
Was it a Toyota?
I drive a 2012 Toyota Tundra. The parking lights are the DRL's, and come on when the engine is started. So I drive with my parking lights on until the automatic headlights turn on the "real" lights. So some of us do it because the manufacturers make us. Maybe we really don't want to, but have no choice. Please be a little more sensitive!

:tongueout::rofl::wavey:

686Owner
12-04-2012, 14:04
You say it was a late model pick up?
Was it a Toyota?
I drive a 2012 Toyota Tundra. The parking lights are the DRL's, and come on when the engine is started. So I drive with my parking lights on until the automatic headlights turn on the "real" lights. So some of us do it because the manufacturers make us. Maybe we really don't want to, but have no choice. Please be a little more sensitive!

:tongueout::rofl::wavey:

Parking lights do not light up with your DRL according to your owner's manual.

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM34525U/pdf/sec_2-3.pdf

Eric
12-04-2012, 14:42
After a decade and a half, you guys still have the capacity to surprise me with the topics you find to argue about. So, would driving a truck with the tailgate down make up for any gas wasted running your lights? How about if I were driving on a treadmill? :supergrin: Eric

M&P15T
12-04-2012, 15:16
Since Eric deems our discussion to be less than something worthy of an article in Science Monthly, let me add some thoughts based on very recent first hand experience.:supergrin:

Dusk is undoubtedly the worst time for human vision.

Want an example? Sure.

Driving home at dusk yesterday, I arrived home and parked my car, and went inside. This morning I got into my car to go to work, and found I had left the damn passenger side windo open all night long.

Why? With the weird, dusk-poor lighting, even my laser-corrected vision could not tell it was actually down when I parked it the evening before. All those weird, long shadows, the bizzare winter, low-in-the-sky setting sun lighting, just threw off my depth perception when I checked the windows while parking.

There. Debate over.:rofl::rofl:

Eric
12-04-2012, 15:23
Since Eric deems our discussion to be less than something worthy of an article in Science Monthly, let me add some thoughts based on very recent first hand experience.:supergrin:

Dusk is undoubtedly the worst time for human vision.

Want an example? Sure.

Driving home at dusk yesterday, I arrived home and parked my car, and went inside. This morning I got into my car to go to work, and found I had left the damn passenger side windo open all night long.

Why? With the weird, dusk-poor lighting, even my laser-corrected vision could not tell it was actually down when I parked it the evening before. All those weird, long shadows, the bizzare winter, low-in-the-sky setting sun lighting, just threw off my depth perception when I checked the windows while parking.

There. Debate over.:rofl::rofl:

Would parking lights have prevented this?:headscratch:

Micad
12-04-2012, 15:32
686 owner, I have read my owner's manual. I know that when I turn the lights off, and start my truck, my parking lights, or amber lights are on, and will remain on until I turn the engine off. Regardless to what that says, I know this to be fact. There are not any other lights that glow while I am driving, (IE: dim headlights) unless I switch on the "parking lights", headlights, and or fog lights. I do not know whether this is the equipment package, or standard, but this is the way it is on my truck. I have noticed other Toyota Tundras that behave similarly.

686Owner
12-04-2012, 16:17
686 owner, I have read my owner's manual. I know that when I turn the lights off, and start my truck, my parking lights, or amber lights are on, and will remain on until I turn the engine off. Regardless to what that says, I know this to be fact. There are not any other lights that glow while I am driving, (IE: dim headlights) unless I switch on the "parking lights", headlights, and or fog lights. I do not know whether this is the equipment package, or standard, but this is the way it is on my truck. I have noticed other Toyota Tundras that behave similarly.

DRL are allowed to be amber in the US. That is what you are calling your parking lights.

Odd that they are allowed to be amber, but parking lights cannot be operated during the daytime in most states.

KennyFSU
12-04-2012, 16:27
Well then, I'll just call my parking lights, "amber DRLs."

JohnnyE
12-04-2012, 18:02
When only your parking lights are on, you are saying to other drivers that you are parked. If you are stopped in the curb lane at a red traffic signal, another driver may be surprised you started moving when the light turns green. After all, your parking lights were on, and you are telling other drivers that you are parked, and are not going to be moving. This is not likely to be an issue for drivers under 60 or 70 years of age, but someone older, or less capable, may be confused, and that can lead to an accident. We have turn signals and other devices to clearly communicate our intentions, not to create confusion or ambiguity.

Oso
12-04-2012, 18:14
I am continually amused by the insignificant things that bug people. I don't typically drive with only my parking lights on, but I may start.

certifiedfunds
12-04-2012, 18:26
I am continually amused by the insignificant things that bug people. I don't typically drive with only my parking lights on, but I may start.

Perhaps folks acting recklessly and creating mayhem out on the nations roads and highways is amusing to you? You sir have one warped sense of humor.

Discusting!

Atlas
12-04-2012, 18:44
... How about if I were driving on a treadmill? :supergrin: Eric

People would talk...
Perhaps you would get your own "reality TV show".

DanaT
12-04-2012, 18:44
Perhaps folks acting recklessly and creating mayhem out on the nations roads and highways is amusing to you? You sir have one warped sense of humor.

Discusting!

Can you define "reckless"? Is 150+ reckless? How much tire spin is needed before it is reckless? How much oversteer is permissible before it is reckless?

certifiedfunds
12-04-2012, 18:46
Can you define "reckless"? Is 150+ reckless? How much tire spin is needed before it is reckless? How much oversteer is permissible before it is reckless?

Driving with parking lights on = reckless mayhem.

DanaT
12-04-2012, 18:52
Driving with parking lights on = reckless mayhem.

Then I am OK most of the time.

What if parking lights + driving lights?

certifiedfunds
12-04-2012, 19:18
Then I am OK most of the time.

What if parking lights + driving lights?

Fine.

Anti-mayhem

czsmithGT
12-04-2012, 19:23
Anti-mayhem

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i59/CzsmithGT/allstate-mayhem.jpg

certifiedfunds
12-04-2012, 22:11
I'm looking for a relay that will turn my brake lights on at random intervals while driving without me actually needing to apply the brakes. I figure it will make me more visible to other drivers and increase braking distance for those behind me.

Anyone know where I can find one?

Atlas
12-04-2012, 22:13
I'm looking for a relay that will turn my brake lights on at random intervals while driving without me actually needing to apply the brakes. I figure it will make me more visible to other drivers and increase braking distance for those behind me.

Ha!

You'll need a pseudo-random pulse-generator circuit to drive the relay.

certifiedfunds
12-04-2012, 22:14
Ha!

You'll need a pseudo-random pulse-generator circuit to drive the relay.

Pep Boys?

Atlas
12-04-2012, 22:16
Pep Boys?

Ask for either Manny, Moe, or Jack.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_CXVtm97fWDo/SuDCT2QW8AI/AAAAAAAABEw/mK6gKIOGSzo/s320/Pep+Boys.gif

czsmithGT
12-04-2012, 22:32
Signal Dynamics Back Off Wig Wag- $42.95 + S&H

Pep Boys?http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i59/CzsmithGT/0000-Signal-Dynamics-Back-Off-Wig-Wag---.jpg

certifiedfunds
12-04-2012, 22:42
Signal Dynamics Back Off Wig Wag- $42.95 + S&H

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i59/CzsmithGT/0000-Signal-Dynamics-Back-Off-Wig-Wag---.jpg

Man, that is close but not quite what I need. I need completely random brake light illumination as I drive down the road.

Glotin
12-05-2012, 00:06
Extra gas and wear and tear on your headlights will probably cost you $10 over your lifetime.

It's pretty easy to tell that you are a car guy, because you ignore the laws regarding cars.

Feel free to point me to the SC law that says it's illegal to run your parking lights.

I think you're underestimating on the savings, but either way that's not why I do. There are people called "hyper-milers" who do everything they can to squeeze every last mpg out of their car. Pretty ridiculous.

Man, that is close but not quite what I need. I need completely random brake light illumination as I drive down the road.

So the guy who gets his panties in a wad about parking lights being dangerous is looking for a way to randomly break check people on the highway..... right.

For the record, if I'm in doubt about the visibility of my car, I'll switch to headlights. I've run with parking lights/corona rings during the day so people can see me better.

WilliamDahl
12-05-2012, 06:44
Well then, I'll just call my parking lights, "amber DRLs."

Works for me... Problem solved... Time to close the thread... :)

WilliamDahl
12-05-2012, 06:48
When only your parking lights are on, you are saying to other drivers that you are parked. If you are stopped in the curb lane at a red traffic signal, another driver may be surprised you started moving when the light turns green. After all, your parking lights were on, and you are telling other drivers that you are parked, and are not going to be moving. This is not likely to be an issue for drivers under 60 or 70 years of age, but someone older, or less capable, may be confused, and that can lead to an accident. We have turn signals and other devices to clearly communicate our intentions, not to create confusion or ambiguity.

Total BS... Next thing you'll be claiming is that the person in the left lane of the expressway with his left blinkers on is going to make a left turn... Trust me, they won't... I've followed them for *miles* and they won't make a left turn no matter how many times you tell them to go ahead... :)

Peace Warrior
12-05-2012, 07:35

Signal Dynamics Back Off Wig Wag- $42.95 + S&H ...

CF,

I saw those module things a while back, but they were too expensive, so if you want to increase visibility, especially when it's raining/snowing, just turn on your flashers and save the $50.

DanaT
12-05-2012, 08:09
There are people called "hyper-milers" who do everything they can to squeeze every last mpg out of their car. Pretty ridiculous.

Is it necessary to insult me because I drive in a manner that helps save natural resources?

WilliamDahl
12-05-2012, 08:55
Is it necessary to insult me because I drive in a manner that helps save natural resources?

When you do it in the lefthand lane of the freeway and you have your left turn signal on -- YES !!!

syntaxerrorsix
12-05-2012, 10:33
CF,

I saw those module things a while back, but they were too expensive, so if you want to increase visibility, especially when it's raining/snowing, just turn on your flashers and save the $50.

Illegal in Florida to use your 4 ways while moving.

Hazard lamps indicated a disabled vehicle or an obstacle on or near the road that can't otherwise be seen.

syntaxerrorsix
12-05-2012, 10:34
When you do it in the lefthand lane of the freeway and you have your left turn signal on -- YES !!!

Not anymore annoying than folks that can't follow the other rules.

Peace Warrior
12-05-2012, 10:37
Illegal in Florida to use your 4 ways while moving.

Hazard lamps indicated a disabled vehicle or an obstacle on or near the road that can't otherwise be seen.
He's not in Florida, which is why I mention ed it.

DanaT
12-05-2012, 10:49

Sorry. I drive in the left hand lane with my right turn signal on so that you think that I am going to move over for you. But the joke is on you. I have no intention of moving and feel that I need to enforce the speed limit since you are driving insanely fast and burning excessive fuel.

syntaxerrorsix
12-05-2012, 11:14

It's illegal there as well.

glock1911revolver
12-05-2012, 12:32
certifiedfunds,

At dusk I will use my parking lights when I'm in rural areas. I grew up in rural North Dakota, and by using only your parking lights it was a courtesy to other drivers so you wouldn't hinder their ability to see deer running towards the road. I personally was able to see deer and slow down to avoid them because the driver I was meeting was using only his/her parking lights. Deer in a harvested corn field running towards the road are extemely difficult to spot with headlights shining in your eyes. When I'm in town I turn on the headlights at dusk.

certifiedfunds
12-05-2012, 12:35

But there is always the possibility that i will move to florida one day.

http://www.thevillages.com/

crazymoose
12-05-2012, 12:37

Those things remind me of the light strips movie theatres often put on stairways. I don't know what Audi was thinking.