Best 10mm SHTF bullet? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best 10mm SHTF bullet?

orangeride
12-02-2012, 01:39
I've had my g20 for over a year now and I Absolutely love it. Since getting mine both my brothers have gotten them and now my dads got two! I've been commissioned by the family to load us up a crap load of 10mm (I'm the one with the Dillion 650). I've got several loads right now that I use. 1. 135gr nosler at 1500fps. For home defence 2. 200gr BTHC at 1230fps for woods carry. 3. 180gr delta fmj at 1200fps for practice. I'd like a recommendation for a bullet best suited for all out hell braking lose, on person performance, barrier Penetration ie car window glass, sheet metal or sheet rock. I'm thinking of something in the 165 to 200gr range. Loaded full power but not nuke. I'm thinking xtp or gold dot or the rem bullet. Maybe a vel recommendation also. I don't want to run them to fast.

fredj338
12-02-2012, 13:50
I think a 180gr XTP would be hard to beat as an all around, full power 10mm bullet. Reality, the 10mm would be one of my last choices as a SHTF rig because of ammo availablity. I am not a 9mm fan, but it does have a leg up as SHTF caliber, especially in a GLock. Lots of ammo & you can take the mags off the other BG & use them in your gun.

orangeride
12-02-2012, 15:09
We've all got .40 conversion barrels so I'm not really concerned about ammo. But your right, it's not a 9mm. That's why we've also got g23's with 9mm set ups. I'm thinking the xtp is the way to go.

DarkShooter
12-02-2012, 15:16
The conversion barrels are a good idea. 40 is alot more common than 10mm, and my luck id find a boatload of .40 and nothin to shoot them in.

IMO, you couldnt go wrong with 180 or 200 gr XTP's and a healthy dose of AA#9 or Blue Dot.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

DarkShooter
12-02-2012, 15:17
Full power but not Nuke is how I load for 10mm also.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

fredj338
12-02-2012, 15:17
We've all got .40 conversion barrels so I'm not really concerned about ammo. But your right, it's not a 9mm. That's why we've also got g23's with 9mm set ups. I'm thinking the xtp is the way to go.
Yep, my SHTF gun is a G32 w/ 9mm & 40 bbls. No way I am not finding ammo.:supergrin:

cowboy1964
12-03-2012, 09:43
I love fantasies about extended gunfights and having to scavenge ammo off dead combatants.

Now, back to reality...

Zombie Steve
12-03-2012, 11:20
I love fantasies about extended gunfights and having to scavenge ammo off dead combatants.

Now, back to reality...

:miff:

:supergrin:

Another vote for a 180 XTP for a solid all-rounder bullet.

dkf
12-03-2012, 11:32
I agree on the 180gr XTP. However they are expensive and if I would be loading thousands to put away for a rainy day I would not be spending that coin on all XTPs due to price. For all out penetration it is hard to beat an FMJ. I would have some XTPs but mostly FMJ. Cost per round is what I would look at. I would also do some load development on whatever you decide and make sure everything functions well and is what you want before plunking down the cash on a large order.

F106 Fan
12-03-2012, 12:41

Now, back to reality...

Hey, they do that in the video games! It seems like a good plan to me.

Just pick up what you find...

Richard

countrygun
12-03-2012, 13:29
FWIW. I have been using a couple techniques with lead SWC bullets in revolvers for some time now and will be experimenting with the same in 10mm to see if it works as well in an auto loader.

I don't know it there is a "groupthink" opinionin these parts about "Beartooth bullets" but I think it would behoove anyone worried about SHTF to check out their website and check into the method of "annealing" hard cast bullets as a possibility for SHTF loads especially in the 10mm. If you stay in the 1,100-1,200 range with a "wheelweight type alloy" you are not going to run into leading problems as a general observation. With a heavy bullet the selective annealing process really does provide significant performance. It works for me in the .41 magwith a 210 @ 1,150 soI don't see why it wouldn't in the 10mm

fredj338
12-03-2012, 14:15

Now, back to reality...

Is that your fantasy? A SHTF gun would be one where if you have to grab & go, that is what you take. You may only be carrying 100rds of original caliber ammo. The equally laughable fantasy are thjose stockpiling 10K rds of ammo. How do you carry that?

Zombie Steve
12-03-2012, 15:03
Is that your fantasy? A SHTF gun would be one where if you have to grab & go, that is what you take. You may only be carrying 100rds of original caliber ammo. The equally laughable fantasy are thjose stockpiling 10K rds of ammo. How do you carry that?

You don't. Stash a little here, cache a little there...

JimIsland
12-03-2012, 15:38
I agree on the 180gr XTP. However they are expensive and if I would be loading thousands to put away for a rainy day I would not be spending that coin on all XTPs due to price. For all out penetration it is hard to beat an FMJ. I would have some XTPs but mostly FMJ. Cost per round is what I would look at. I would also do some load development on whatever you decide and make sure everything functions well and is what you want before plunking down the cash on a large order.

This^^^^^ I have a TON of bulk ammo for my G20 in 180 FMJ and approx 500 rounds of Underwood ammo in the 155 to 180 grain HP flavors.
Reality: I love the 10 as much as the next guy but I can honestly say that my G17 would be on my side and G26 in a leg holster if SHTF became reality and I was on foot.