My job is insane!!!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My job is insane!!!!

mike g35
12-02-2012, 02:33
I work at a Cabelas. I work the gun counter. I've never missed a day, I'm always a half hour early, and I stay over whenever asked. I'm the only one in the whole darn store with any real knowledge of firearms. About a month ago our manager quit. I did his job for a month with no issues. I applied for the position and I was passed up and they chose an asset prevention guy that's...lets just say...not the best of choices. He knows nothing about what's going on there. I work 7 days a week lately. Why am I still doing HIS job?!?! I shoot for Carver Custom and lately I've had NO time to shoot at all. Does this seem as ridiculous to you guys as it does to me? Should I keep pressing forward or start looking for new opportunities? Your opinion? This is DEFINITELY one of those "who's butt you kiss" jobs. Sadly I'm not good at kissing butt and honestly even if I was that kind of person and I'm not I wouldn't have time to kiss butt. I'm too busy doing HIS job!!!! UGH!!!!!!!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Gallium
12-02-2012, 02:50
What are your options if you are fired or walk away?

You do realize that with Christmas a coming, you are going to be balls to de walls for a stretch?

fnfalman
12-02-2012, 03:01
Are you planning on making a career with Cabela's? If yes, then do the best you can and push for your promotion. If no, then quit.

NIB
12-02-2012, 03:09
Do your job and only whats necessary. Stop doing his job and let him fail at it. It's obvious that they don't care about you going above and beyond in your job or they would have given you that position.

TK-421
12-02-2012, 03:10
I say stop doing his job for him, let him crash and burn, and then when they find out he can't do his job, offer yourself up to replace him.

Bruce M
12-02-2012, 04:51
I agree with the thought of asking youself if you want to stay there for the long term. If so, from your viewpoint that guy got the job because he "kisses butt" but it may benefit to see from management's viewpoint what he brought to the table. Has he been there longer, has he done a variety of other jobs, in addition to kissing management's butt is he also great at kissing customer's butt?

FullClip
12-02-2012, 05:38
Sadly, the reality of many jobs are that they go to "buddies" of the big boss and not to those who can do the job the best. I've seen it in my field and have seen the brother in law of the big boss destroy equipment worth millions due to stupid decisions. Anybody else would have been fired on the spot or executed. But in his case, it's chalked up as a "product defect" and he continues on.
If you want to get ahead, it may be time to break out the Chap-Stick and pucker up. Not a pleasant thought, but it's the way things work in a lot of places.
By the way, at Cabelas, do the guys who work in the high price "Gun Library" have to have more experience than the guys behind the normal gun counter? Do they get a commission on the high end gun sales? When ever I stop at the store in Scaroborogh Maine...I get pulled by spme type of tractor beam into that section of the store and it usually ends up putting a hurt on my bank account!:supergrin:

Best of luck, and hope you get the recognition you seem to deserve.

IGotIt
12-02-2012, 05:48
Start taking time off when you can without jeopardizing your position and whenever possible refer any manager decisions, complaints, etc. to the new guy, don't get involved.

If he is away from the area, you and other employees call him whenever something needs to be delegated by a manager. In general, make him do his job or let him go down on his own.

Fracball
12-02-2012, 06:01
If you’re able to regularly communicate with the manager’s boss, let him/her know that you're doing tasks the manager should be doing. Not in an accusatory fashion though. In a casual, friendly way simply let others know your manager is not doing his/her job but you’re happily picking up the slack.

The alternative is as others already recommended; quit doing the manager’s job. When some managerial task comes up, contact the manager for a solution.

Beretta92guy
12-02-2012, 06:07
OP,

let me tell you something, what you just described is the typical norm. for the workplace......

when i was younger i believed that the way to move up and advance in a company was to work hard, be on time, go above and beyond if needed, stay late if needed and always do whats best for the company or your boss.....

the REALITY is, and you have heard that saying, its not WHAT you know, its WHO you know......

i can't count the times i have seen people, including myself, passed over for promotions/advancement that deserved it for people that did not.....

the way to get promoted in the REAL world???...it's all about whose rear-end you kiss, how good you can undermine your co-workers, always put other people down to prove how valuable YOU are and step on other peoples throat to make yourself look good.....

in my department alone, when our current manager left, there was a girl who had worked her butt off for three years learning how to manage the place...never missed a days work and was diligent and competent......she put in for the job but was denied in place of some goon who is the "drinking buddy" of the senior manager over the department..........and the funny part it she is STILL running the department because he is too godam' stupid to learn.....unreal...

you want to advance?? get an industrial-sized Chap-Stick and pucker up and suck up to the store manager, while kicking your co-workers in the throat.......

i'll send you the bill for real-world career advice that works :)

rant off......

paul45
12-02-2012, 06:18
Like the other posters have said...why would you do the new managers job for no compensation?

Why do you work 7 days a week?

Work your hours only...do only your assigned job.

Not a hard decision for me!

DaneA
12-02-2012, 06:26
What makes you think you are qualified for the job over the guy you got it? Just because you have product knowledge doesn't make you a good choice for management. Also how old are you? I was passed up many times even though I thought I was qualified but looking back I was wrong and the better candidate was chosen. Retail can be a good career but you have to put your time in. It isn't about who you know it is about you skills as a leader. I would go talk to the store manager and discuss why you were passed over and what you need to work on to be promotable.

wvtarheel
12-02-2012, 06:30
Who is the new manager's boss? Do you have any interaction with him/her?

I've had a similar situation in my job, and what I did was this

1) I continued to do my superior's job - it was best for the company for me to do so.
2) I used every opportunity to point out to my superior's boss #1 without being in your face about it.

This really only works if you have a lot of interaction with your boss's boss.... if you don't, maybe you can think about ways to get some face time with that person.

Big House
12-02-2012, 06:51
If you're good at what you do, don't expect to be promoted. You're making the company money, so why would they promote you.

We had a meeting once where a manager said this. And he wasn't joking. We had some lazy dumb-butts for managers. After that meeting I started looking for other employment. I was asked severly times to not leave, after submitting my resignation.

Best decision I ever made. Advancement posibilities are endless, or I can stay where I am and make a comfortable living with great benifits.

Roger1079
12-02-2012, 07:03
This is DEFINITELY one of those "who's butt you kiss" jobs. Sadly I'm not good at kissing butt and honestly even if I was that kind of person and I'm not I wouldn't have time to kiss butt. I'm too busy doing HIS job!!!! UGH!!!!!!!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)Unfortunately many places are like this. All to often promotions hinge on whose ego you boost rather than actual talent and value to the company.

My opinion is that with the holidays this month and the job market being what it is, you need to secure another job before walking away from this one. The other option is to wait for this unqualified individual to screw up and get fired as from what you said, the promotion alone has already set him up to fail. It is just a matter of time before you can try again, and hopefully it will be someone else reviewing your internal application that actually has the companies best interest in mind when selecting applicants rather than needing a backrub.

Your choice should hinge on whether you feel that the next time the opportunity arises, that history will not repat itself.

Either way, good luck with whatever your decision may be.

DreamWeaver88
12-02-2012, 07:03
I say stop doing his job for him, let him crash and burn, and then when they find out he can't do his job, offer yourself up to replace him.

My thoughts exactly. There's no reason for you to be doing what he should be doing. You probably aren't being paid at his jobs level, so don't do it.

RussP
12-02-2012, 07:04
Start taking time off when you can without jeopardizing your position and whenever possible refer any manager decisions, complaints, etc. to the new guy, don't get involved.

If he is away from the area, you and other employees call him whenever something needs to be delegated by a manager. In general, make him do his job or let him go down on his own.If youíre able to regularly communicate with the managerís boss, let him/her know that you're doing tasks the manager should be doing. Not in an accusatory fashion though. In a casual, friendly way simply let others know your manager is not doing his/her job but youíre happily picking up the slack.

The alternative is as others already recommended; quit doing the managerís job. When some managerial task comes up, contact the manager for a solution.As said above, the best solution is to "give him the opportunity" to do the job.

Why did they chose the asset prevention guy? Does he have more seniority than you? Is he looking at a career with the store? Are you looking for a career with them? How long have you been with the store?

Someone on a career path with a company may be given management positions in departments about which they know absolutely nothing. It happened to me in my time in retailing.

Would you be willing to move to another department to pursue a management career with Cabelas?

When you say you are doing his job, what department management specific tasks are you doing? There are a few he and he alone should do.

Another question, why did the other manager quit? Does the department see a frequent turnover in managers?

:cool:

RussP
12-02-2012, 07:06
What makes you think you are qualified for the job over the guy you got it? Just because you have product knowledge doesn't make you a good choice for management. Also how old are you? I was passed up many times even though I thought I was qualified but looking back I was wrong and the better candidate was chosen. Retail can be a good career but you have to put your time in. It isn't about who you know it is about you skills as a leader. I would go talk to the store manager and discuss why you were passed over and what you need to work on to be promotable. Good post...

Tx-SIG229
12-02-2012, 08:25
where are all those anti union guys on here? :whistling:

okie
12-02-2012, 08:30
Are you planning on making a career with Cabela's? If yes, then do the best you can and push for your promotion. If no, then quit.

This:supergrin:

tazbigdog
12-02-2012, 08:37
I'd stay (while looking for something different) doing what is required of you, nothing more, nothing less.

bmoore
12-02-2012, 08:39

I agree with this.

mike g35
12-02-2012, 08:45
Well I talked to the manager today. He's not only talking more money for me he's also talking about a possible promotion in the not to distant future. So I guess that part I can't complain about. But the working 7 days a week thing and the 50-60 hours are gonna have to stop. I'm feeling a little burnt out.

den888
12-02-2012, 08:48
Typical company politics, I say.

norton
12-02-2012, 08:58
Read the 40+ year old book-The Peter Principle. It will explain why management jobs are filled by incompetent people.

NMG26
12-02-2012, 09:02
Quit.

Quit being a yes man and stand up for your life goals.

Cut your own hours and see what happens.

Keep a good attitude as you make your changes. If they no longer need you they will be doing you and them a favor.

FullClip
12-02-2012, 09:03
Read the 40+ year old book-The Peter Principle. It will explain why management jobs are filled by incompetent people.

The "Peter Principle" is false....I've done been promoted several levels above my point of incompetence. :supergrin:

Actually, think it's pretty spot on in a whole lot of cases.

01coltcolt
12-02-2012, 09:05
Well I talked to the manager today. He's not only talking more money for me he's also talking about a possible promotion in the not to distant future. So I guess that part I can't complain about. But the working 7 days a week thing and the 50-60 hours are gonna have to stop. I'm feeling a little burnt out.

Mike,
Simple solution here. Your job duties are clear cut/defined right?
What he is responsible for and what your responsible for? If not ask for managment to established defined rolls based on positional power. Then do what your responsible for and do it well. By you having leadership define your roll and duties, it forces them to see what he is not doing and what you are doing. As leaders sometimes we dont pay attention when the job is getting done.

Let him fail, but throw him a bone every once in a while so you can say when he gets canned that you tried to help him. The stupid weed them selves out. Suck it up for awhile and remain a obvious out front noticable leader. Things will eventually right them selves.

Bruce M
12-02-2012, 09:17

That's encouraging

Paul_J
12-02-2012, 09:33
What makes you think you are qualified for the job over the guy you got it? Just because you have product knowledge doesn't make you a good choice for management. Also how old are you? I was passed up many times even though I thought I was qualified but looking back I was wrong and the better candidate was chosen. Retail can be a good career but you have to put your time in. It isn't about who you know it is about you skills as a leader. I would go talk to the store manager and discuss why you were passed over and what you need to work on to be promotable.

This is the best advise I've read on here yet. Also, folks will confuse butt kissing with other activities that can be very beneficial to your success. Making a point to say hello to management types and putting yourself in positions to associate with these people in a casual setting goes a long way. Chances are they don't see the hard work and extra effort and if they just know the face but don't know who you are you are going to be over looked. The person they really know and associate with has the better chance.

Good luck with your decision and don't let this setback throw you. If you think you have a career at that store don't throw away all your hard work. If this new manager isn't a jerk, then help him be a better manager. Get to know him and the other folks he knows.

DaneA
12-02-2012, 09:43

Sounds like you have been noticed for your efforts. As far as the hours, well 'tis the season. A few tips from 14 years in this game and always having a 45 ++ hour weeks.
Always leave the building for lunch.
Drink a glass of oj everyday
Give yourself a half hour after work to "shift gears"
Get some outside exercise
Take your breaks (10-15 min) whatever they are
Don't let your customers get to you.

Most of this is double important this time of year.

Magnus2131
12-02-2012, 09:57
Of course you stay till you find something else unless you want a career there. Have your job clearly defined for you. Management will allow you to do both jobs so long as you are getting it done. When I had to leave my last job they replaced me with three people and I was left disabled.

nikerret
12-02-2012, 10:04
OP,

let me tell you something, what you just described is the typical norm. for the workplace......

when i was younger i believed that the way to move up and advance in a company was to work hard, be on time, go above and beyond if needed, stay late if needed and always do whats best for the company or your boss.....

the REALITY is, and you have heard that saying, its not WHAT you know, its WHO you know......

i can't count the times i have seen people, including myself, passed over for promotions/advancement that deserved it for people that did not.....

the way to get promoted in the REAL world???...it's all about whose rear-end you kiss, how good you can undermine your co-workers, always put other people down to prove how valuable YOU are and step on other peoples throat to make yourself look good.....

in my department alone, when our current manager left, there was a girl who had worked her butt off for three years learning how to manage the place...never missed a days work and was diligent and competent......she put in for the job but was denied in place of some goon who is the "drinking buddy" of the senior manager over the department..........and the funny part it she is STILL running the department because he is too godam' stupid to learn.....unreal...

you want to advance?? get an industrial-sized Chap-Stick and pucker up and suck up to the store manager, while kicking your co-workers in the throat.......

rant off......

If you're good at what you do, don't expect to be promoted. You're making the company money, so why would they promote you.

These sum up most of the problem with our society. People ask why the values of the older generations are lacking and say it's bad, but a person cannot advance without becoming everything that makes a person terrible.

Rabbi
12-02-2012, 10:09
You may be factually correct with everything you say but you dont really understand the situation.

If you quit that job right now, they would continue on just fine. You are a cog that can be replaced.

Knowing that harsh truth, you need to learn how to better play the game and find a more favorable balance in your work environement. There is plenty of room for you to find better treatment...but the issue is, in spite of all you do and all your knowledge, do you have the skills to improve your work situation through your personality. I dont know the answer to that but if you dont, your situation will probably not improve.

Many people make the mistake of thinking doing the right things and being technically proficient should be enough. They are often wrong. It is not unlike the "nice guy" who has trouble with women and instead of learning how to play the game to get what he wants, he just keeps on complaining about the game. Which is not an alpha thing to do and make the situation worse.

Being the best gun guy who does everything wont get you want to want. You also have to be a guy who knows how to play the game and realize no matter how right you think you are, you are replacable and still doing it wrong.

Rabbi
12-02-2012, 10:17
OP,

rant off......

What you say is true....but the wrong understanding. Again, you dont like the game.....and you are still complaining about it.

In the wild, you can be the first animal up, catch the food and get ready to have a fine meal. You had the skill, you had the knowhow and you produced the results. You did everything right and at the very last moment a bigger or meaner animal can come right up, push you out of the way and dine on your work.

Now, here is the question. It doesnt matter if that is fair, right, wrong, or whatever. It happened. Are you going to whine about it or deal with the reality.

In general, if you find yourself bichin about the guy who won, you are wrong, no matter what. If you find yourself the target of bichin because of your victory, take it as a sign you are on the right path.

Some people dont like the game. Some people are eating. Which one do you want to be?

OdinIII
12-02-2012, 10:17
Rabbi, is there any subject in which you are lacking in knowledge?

You seem to always be able to put it in "layman's terms" as a good friend used to say.

Rabbi
12-02-2012, 10:21
These sum up most of the problem with our society. People ask why the values of the older generations are lacking and say it's bad, but a person cannot advance without becoming everything that makes a person terrible.

Bull. A person can advance on strength of character that lesser men tend to characterize in negative ways because, well, that is what lesser men do. Exceptions to this dont change that fact.

zoyter2
12-02-2012, 10:23
Well I talked to the manager today. He's not only talking more money for me he's also talking about a possible promotion in the not to distant future..........................

For every 100 times I have heard of an employee being told something like this, I have to say that I have seen it happen maybe two times.

Rabbi
12-02-2012, 10:26
Rabbi, is there any subject in which you are lacking in knowledge?

You seem to always be able to put it in "layman's terms" as a good friend used to say.

The list of things I dont know is very long. I am working as hard as I can to make that list shorter.

In an illustrative and powerful irony, people generally come along to attack everything I say but the actual information. This proves my point better than I ever could.

There are men who eat and men you whine about that. There are a lot of detail that lead up to those two points but steak is much more filling that even the finest rightious indignation.

FCastle88
12-02-2012, 11:37
For every 100 times I have heard of an employee being told something like this, I have to say that I have seen it happen maybe two times.
Yep, the good old runaround to keep him quiet and doing the manager's job for him.

Kingarthurhk
12-02-2012, 11:53
As said above, the best solution is to "give him the opportunity" to do the job.

Why did they chose the asset prevention guy? Does he have more seniority than you? Is he looking at a career with the store? Are you looking for a career with them? How long have you been with the store?

Someone on a career path with a company may be given management positions in departments about which they know absolutely nothing. It happened to me in my time in retailing.

Would you be willing to move to another department to pursue a management career with Cabelas?

When you say you are doing his job, what department management specific tasks are you doing? There are a few he and he alone should do.

Another question, why did the other manager quit? Does the department see a frequent turnover in managers?

:cool:

This happens everywhere. It is called "the good old boy system" or, the "Peter Principal" if you like. I have seen this time and time again. Someone with no experience is made to be a supervisor. I have to admit to some sadism, by purposely going to those people with a question they can't answer just to watch them squirm, or direct you to someone with actual experience.

I have sometimes been questioned as to why I have not been more savy on something than a supervisor. My response was, "I thought they got there by knowing something."

The answer, was "No, they don't."

That is is life both in the private and public sector. To use a blunt expression I have heard for years. "It isn't who you know, it's who you blow."

crni4
12-02-2012, 13:17
Managers (bosses) are people too who make a lot of decisions, hence a lot of room for errors. I know, i am one. It took me four times to get a manager position, and in retrospect, it worked out in best possible way. Sometimes patience is rewarded but its important to keep learning and producing. Besides, i learned the most from bad bosses on what not to do. Whatever you do, do not complain. No one likes that and will not change a thing. Keep positive attitude and your time will come. I know i sound like i am preaching bs but its true.

LL6
12-02-2012, 13:24

The check's in the mail. You wonít feel a thing. The dog ate my homework. Of course Iíll respect you in the morning...:rofl:

BAILIFF
12-02-2012, 13:42
Charleston Gander Mountain

2600 Mountaineer Blvd

Charleston,WV 25309

304-746-6130

GPS Coordinates:

Latitude: 38.320823

Longitude: -81.713072

http://careers.gandermountain.com/

racerford
12-02-2012, 14:26
Several mistakes on this thread.

Doing your job better than everyone else, does not make you management material. It makes you the best gun seller or whatever. I will reward you for doing that.

Management skills are different than staff skills. The best sales guy does not always make the best Sales Manager. It is a different skill set.

If you want a job, you don't just apply for it. You are selling yourself for that position. What you did is only a small part. You have to convince me that I can trust you have the skills and attitude to get the job done, AND make my life easier, and make me more successful. The person that does the best job of that gets the job.

One thing I have learned is that it is part of my job to make my boss look good (especially for hiring me), and give credit to my staff when things go well. As the leader, I don't have to be able to do everything as well as my staff. I have to make sure they do the best they can, meet my goals, and help make my boss look good.

So what part are of the above are you not doing well enough?

zoyter2
12-02-2012, 15:23
Several mistakes on this thread.

Doing your job better than everyone else, does not make you management material. It makes you the best gun seller or whatever. I will reward you for doing that.

Management skills are different than staff skills. The best sales guy does not always make the best Sales Manager. It is a different skill set.

If you want a job, you don't just apply for it. You are selling yourself for that position. What you did is only a small part. You have to convince me that I can trust you have the skills and attitude to get the job done, AND make my life easier, and make me more successful. The person that does the best job of that gets the job.

One thing I have learned is that it is part of my job to make my boss look good (especially for hiring me), and give credit to my staff when things go well. As the leader, I don't have to be able to do everything as well as my staff. I have to make sure they do the best they can, meet my goals, and help make my boss look good.

So what part are of the above are you not doing well enough?

Huge assumption on your part. Maybe he is doing all of the above well, and doesn't work for a upper manager with YOUR attitude. YOU may promote based on "person that does the best job of that gets the job", and I commend you for that, but after 35 years in the workforce, I can assure you that YOUR attitude towards hiring qualifications is not the norm in my experience.

mike g35
12-02-2012, 15:33
Huge assumption on your part. Maybe he is doing all of the above well, and doesn't work for a upper manager with YOUR attitude. YOU may promote based on "person that does the best job of that gets the job", and I commend you for that, but after 35 years in the workforce, I can assure you that YOUR attitude towards hiring qualifications is not the norm in my experience.

^^^^ this. The reason I wasn't promoted was I was too busy working to find the time to kiss butt. Oops, my bad. I have 10 years management experience. Just sayin.

mike g35
12-02-2012, 15:35
Charleston Gander Mountain

2600 Mountaineer Blvd

Charleston,WV 25309

304-746-6130

GPS Coordinates:

Latitude: 38.320823

Longitude: -81.713072

http://careers.gandermountain.com/

Thanks.

wvtarheel
12-02-2012, 15:50
Thanks.

LOL. Didn't realize until just now that you work the gun counter at my local Cabela's! We've probably met several times, my wife and I are in there all the time looking at various guns and occasionally buying.

mixflip
12-02-2012, 15:51
This ones easy.

Stop doing his job. Stop helping him. Just do your job and management will learn will quick who they "NEED" and who is just all talk.

Option 2 - Look for another job. With your skills and experience I am sure a competing gun store would love to have you. I would just be worried about the timing (Christmas season).

Jobs are still a blessing to have. Lots of folks are still unemployed. I know cops and firefighters who have been laid off due to state and city budget cuts.

If you have one with seniority, you have less fear of being let go if they need to cut back. It sucks being new and having the fear of being laid of because the company needs to reduce their overhead or something.

devildog2067
12-02-2012, 15:52
Huge assumption on your part.
None of us are working from complete information, but this:

Doing your job better than everyone else, does not make you management material.

if you add the word "necessarily" is 100% true.

Doing your job better than everyone else does not necessarily make you management material.

racerford
12-02-2012, 15:59

You are right, but do you want to work there?

I find that people that are reasonable intelligent, and have a willingness to work hard, and learn new skills, makes me more successful.

Most managers that are promoted for the wrong reason fail, and get moved on (family excepted and even then they get moved to a less crucial position or the family business dies). Sometimes it takes to long. I work for a very large corporation at low to medium executive level, and I have the opinion it is a war of attrition, I just have to outlast all the bad leaders, so far I have.