Short Winter Days Depressing? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Short Winter Days Depressing?

FullClip
12-02-2012, 06:25
Man! I thought that winter in Maine was rough! In Maine, I live pretty much a few hundred yards north of the 45th parallel, and the daylight in winter is pretty short. Here in Riga, about 12 degrees further north, the sun, when it does pop out, is a whole lot lower on the southern horizon. I'm no stranger to winter, but it sure makes me wonder how folks even further north deal with things when it's dark most of time. I can see why Iceland has such a high rate of boozers....pretty depressing.:upeyes:

Only a few more weeks and we start gaining on the daylight again, so think I can tough it out!:supergrin:

SunsetMan
12-02-2012, 06:45
Man! I thought that winter in Maine was rough! In Maine, I live pretty much a few hundred yards north of the 45th parallel, and the daylight in winter is pretty short. Here in Riga, about 12 degrees further north, the sun, when it does pop out, is a whole lot lower on the southern horizon. I'm no stranger to winter, but it sure makes me wonder how folks even further north deal with things when it's dark most of time. I can see why Iceland has such a high rate of boozers....pretty depressing.:upeyes:

Only a few more weeks and we start gaining on the daylight again, so think I can tough it out!:supergrin:

I don't want to imagine what you are going through. I'm hating these short days in southern California with the sun going down at 5pm. I wish they get rid of daylight waisting time.

Chesafreak
12-02-2012, 08:06
Years ago I had some mild depression during the winter after moving from Florida to upstate NY. When the sun would come out, I felt euphoria when outside. After that realization I started tanning occasionally until I could get a sun lamp for the house.

I don't really need that any more here in VA. We are planning on moving to Maine where my wife is from in about three years, and I will be buying a sun lamp after the move to make my first winter there bearable.

FullClip
12-02-2012, 08:35
We are planning on moving to Maine where my wife is from in about three years, and I will be buying a sun lamp after the move to make my first winter there bearable.

No need for the extra cost of a sun lamp. Up here we jsut stick a screw driver in the safety interlock of the microwave oven and fire up that puppy with the door open! After a couple bags of pop-corn cooked that way, you'll look like you just got back from the beach!!:supergrin:

But in Maine, remember this. if ya' can't handle the wintahs, ya don't deserve the summahs":supergrin:

Actually, the winters don't seem too bad when you know that after they're over you'll have to deal with black-fly season.:upeyes:

kirgi08
12-02-2012, 09:58
Would you post some pics of the area.I've never been there,if not I understand.'08. Thanks.

TexanRon
12-02-2012, 11:16
This is a very real phenomenon. There is a psychiatric disorder called SAD, which is Seasonal Affective Disorder. The rate of incidence rises dramatically the further north you go, as it appears to be linked to shortened exposure to daylight. Interestingly, one of the approved treatments is time sitting in front of a light that emits rays similar to sunlight.

janice6
12-02-2012, 11:21
In Northern Minnesota (up to 49+ degrees Latitude) it gets cold (-30/-40F) and desolate in Winter, with very long nights.

High alcohol consumption is common.

jame
12-02-2012, 11:24
After the loss of her husband due to illness, a woman I work with was having a pretty tough time, and bad was increased to worse when she cam back to work in her office that had no windows.

Her grief counselor prescribed that she buy a daylight lamp and to have it on at her desk x number of hours per day. She swears the light makes a difference.

FullClip
12-02-2012, 11:27
I

High alcohol consumption is common.

My consumption actually drops a whole lot in the winter. I like beer and enjoy it a lot more when the weather is hot and I can pee outside. If ya' try that when it's 30 below, the little guy is pretty reluctant to come out past the fly. Have never got the hang of the hard stuff anti-freeze.:supergrin:

Bruce M
12-02-2012, 11:28
It probably would not be nice to mention that I am going to take the bike out and it is upper seventies here, so I won't. But I am curious as to why one would go from Maine to Riga. No black flies or no mud season?

FullClip
12-02-2012, 11:35
It probably would not be nice to mention that I am going to take the bike out and it is upper seventies here, so I won't. But I am curious as to why one would go from Maine to Riga. No black flies or no mud season?

Given the choice of Saudi, Kuwait, some place in inner Mozambique or Riga what would you do???

Don't think there will be a problem with missing mud-season here...what ain't frozen yet is pretty mucky at the job site. Will report on the black-flys next spring.:supergrin:

Actually, pretty nice city. Problem is I can speak Spanish, Italian, a little French....but ZERO Latvian....tough language for my old mind to get a grip on. Wish I was here 30 years ago. The women are beautiful and quick to giggle even at an old fart like me.

janice6
12-02-2012, 11:46
My consumption actually drops a whole lot in the winter. I like beer and enjoy it a lot more when the weather is hot and I can pee outside. If ya' try that when it's 30 below, the little guy is pretty reluctant to come out past the fly. Have never got the hang of the hard stuff anti-freeze.:supergrin:

................Wish I was here 30 years ago. The women are beautiful and quick to giggle even at an old fart like me.

Ahhhhhhhh, what might have been.
----------------------------------------------------------------

I guess I am more like you.

I can't drink hard stuff (and a lot of beers), I get Migraines from it. Sure cure for Alcoholism.:rofl:

tantrix
12-02-2012, 12:04
Winter? It's 80F outside right now.

brisk21
12-02-2012, 12:54
I like winter. I like short days. It makes me feel better about being lazy and doing nothing. Every day I don't do something in the summer I feel is a waste. I really like winter and the changing seasons here in Michigan.

di11igaf
12-02-2012, 13:49
It does suck going to work when its dark, getting off and its dark every day. That and it is SO much harder to get up and out of bed at 5 am in the winter.

Bruce M
12-02-2012, 14:49
Given the choice of Saudi, Kuwait, some place in inner Mozambique or Riga what would you do???

Don't think there will be a problem with missing mud-season here...what ain't frozen yet is pretty mucky at the job site. Will report on the black-flys next spring.:supergrin:

Actually, pretty nice city. Problem is I can speak Spanish, Italian, a little French....but ZERO Latvian....tough language for my old mind to get a grip on. Wish I was here 30 years ago. The women are beautiful and quick to giggle even at an old fart like me.

Unless Kuwait means Dubai or Mozambique is code for San Paolo, Riga it is!

Glad to heart that other than the lack of daylight it has some charms.

*ASH*
12-02-2012, 14:52
what i dont understand is folks drinking ,ALCOHOL IS A DEPRESSANT .:dunno::dunno:

its effecting me in north carolina , first time i ever had it , it gets dark at 5 to 5:30

cowboywannabe
12-02-2012, 15:15
cheer up, by definition they wont last long.

Hummer
12-02-2012, 16:40
Being cooped up can be depressing, whether you're in the rains of Seattle or the snows of most anywhere snowy. If SAD is real, I've experienced it since childhood but have learned how to work through it. Where winter is severe you have to get out to enjoy it in physical activity.

When I lived full time in the land of ice and snow, I made an effort to get out every day on cross country skis for vigorous runs, to walk along the iced-over river, and take binoculars and camera to explore the beauty of winter.

At my place on the river in the bottom of a valley near the Continental Divide, it might snow most every day for a month with scarcely an emergence of the sun. At this time of year the sun has already set by 3:40 in the afternoon, and it get's dark around 5 o'clock.

To stay sane, you have to find a way to enjoy winter. As a landlord I rent mountain properties and have seen it over and over. The people who get out to actively engage the outdoors in winter end up staying and enjoy living in the mountains, those who hole up inside are usually gone in a year. A few became shack nasty and downright crazy by spring.

Go hiking, go skiing, go hunting, go shooting, go ice fishing, go birding, go take pictures, or go split wood, but get out and get active! Physical activity is the only way to beat the winter doldrums.

In most of Colorado right now, it's still dry and warm enough to go mountain biking, which is what we did both days this weekend. Now I can sit back, relax, and enjoy drinking. :supergrin:

JohnP82
12-02-2012, 17:04
I am one of the wierd ones. I love nights. Worked 3rd shifts for most of my adult life and love it. Not a morning person, don't like the sunlight, and I hate heat. In the summer I don't even go out until the sun starts going down. Yes, I am strange.

G17Jake
12-02-2012, 17:07
Supplement your diet with vitamin D in the winter.

Dennis in MA
12-02-2012, 18:09
Strange. This year, I'm not as tweaked about short days. Right now, I'm only about 60 days to noticeably longer days and 90 from spring temps. Maybe the mild winter last year did it. Maybe I'm older and 90 days isn't forever.

Although on the flip side. Thanksgiving to Christmas was forever as a kid, as was Christmas vacation. Now it's a blink.

skeeter1959
12-02-2012, 18:27
Yep, count me in. I hate the short days.

Harper
12-02-2012, 19:05
Yes, I hate it. In the summer my general rule for bank fishing is to get to the lake/river by about 5pm. Now it's dark all those hours.

jtmac
12-02-2012, 19:06

This helped me.

I don't have a problem with winter specifically, but my lack of sunlight in general was getting to me. I had a disturbing lack of energy (it was fairly serious), and after hating daylight my entire life, I felt like a sunflower when I stepped outside during the day. I thought I was getting enough D because of my milk intake, but then I discovered that milk provides D2 rather than D3. I picked up some D3 supplement pills and in no time flat I felt like a normal human being.

If you're feeling low and sunlight flips a switch in you... you might need more D3. A little bit of sun will make all you need, but if you can't get that then there are supplements out there.

skeeter7
12-02-2012, 22:40
It doesn't bother me that much since I sleep afternoons and work nights. I do all my lounging or running around during the daylight hours all year long.

Nestor
12-03-2012, 05:34
Living up north, working the nights and sleeping the days...I don't know what daylight is. Few more months and probably it's going to change though. Yes, it's not such a great fun, but staying active helps.

Tvov
12-03-2012, 05:42
We have a "sun lamp", and it does seem to work. I was skeptical about it, as I am pretty much skeptical about everything, but it does seem to make a difference. We put it on the kitchen counter overlooking where we have breakfast and turn it on for awhile in the morning. It is a very, very white light, different than all our other lights.

M&P15T
12-03-2012, 07:58
This is a very real phenomenon. There is a psychiatric disorder called SAD, which is Seasonal Affective Disorder. The rate of incidence rises dramatically the further north you go, as it appears to be linked to shortened exposure to daylight. Interestingly, one of the approved treatments is time sitting in front of a light that emits rays similar to sunlight.

Beat me to it.

SAD hits a lot of people.

Lots of exercis and hitting a tanning bed occasionally pretty much cures it if you have no other significant emtional/psychological disorders.

Happypuppy
12-03-2012, 08:23
It's a real issue in the PNW. Personally I just go to the gym and have never had an issue with it I think it helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

certifiedfunds
12-03-2012, 08:45
Yeah, get it. It's about 75 degrees and sunny today but the reduced daylight time gets me. I'm solar powered.

I don't know how you people with a real winter manage.

Dennis in MA
12-03-2012, 09:42
Yes, I hate it. In the summer my general rule for bank fishing is to get to the lake/river by about 5pm. Now it's dark all those hours.

What's the daily limit when fishing for bank?

Beat me to it.

SAD hits a lot of people.

Lots of exercis and hitting a tanning bed occasionally pretty much cures it if you have no other significant emtional/psychological disorders.

Or one could say a lot of people are SAD. ;)

I dunno how real it is. I know a few people that were debilitated by it. I wonder how people in Alaska and Latvia handle it year after year, generation after generation. Maybe it's genetic. Those from southern climes can't take the severely lessened daylight.

And CF - grow up. LOL You probably get 30 min extra daylight than me. I had to look that up and I'm shocked.

I care more about cold and snow than sunlight. Although, if it wasn't cold and snow, the sunlight thing would affect me more. LOL

certifiedfunds
12-03-2012, 10:46
And CF - grow up. LOL You probably get 30 min extra daylight than me. I had to look that up and I'm shocked.

I just checked the weather app. It is clear skies, 75* at the moment. Forecast is for sun all week, highs in the mid 70s, lows in the high 50s.

I'm gonna go out and mow the lawn now and get a little sun to help with this SAD.

smokeross
12-03-2012, 11:35
^^^^ This right here. Helps reduce aches and pains too. I was out cutting firewood in the sunshine yesterday, and will do it again today. Afterwards taking my 150 horse snow machine out on the lake for a 125 mph ride. Winter is great.

Glock20 10mm
12-03-2012, 12:28
Living off grid I have too much crap to do to be depressed. I personally think the uptick in depression is due to the lack of meaningful activities to occupy ones time.

FullClip
12-03-2012, 12:35
^^^^ ..... Afterwards taking my 150 horse snow machine out on the lake for a 125 mph ride. Winter is great.

I don't miss lugging the firewood, hooking up and unhooking the plow to the truck, shoveling off the decks and the other winter chores.....but I sure do miss my sled. Expedition Sport with the 600ACE. Will only do 60mph top end on the lake in good snow, but I can go forever on a tank of gas and it's wicked quite and I can carry 2 or 3 fat Maine womens on the back of it!!:supergrin: Great ice fishing machine and can do the trails Ok too if yer not in a hurry.

Dennis in MA
12-03-2012, 12:58
How many skinny Maine women can you carr. . . oh wait. Trick question. :rofl:

Harper
12-03-2012, 16:36
What's the daily limit when fishing for bank?

3 sticks
a lure someone lost
smell something dead
scare a snake away from your stringer more than once

After that, I call it a day.

LEOson
12-03-2012, 20:52
Sorry I'm late to the party. But damn right it's depressing. It was 74 here today in St. Louis. First time in my life that I've worn shorts in December. Heck, I was sweating in class today.

Paul53
12-04-2012, 20:56
Search online for SAD lights. NASA established that a narrow band of blue light is most efficient. When I lived in Kennebunkport I had a full spectrum light over my computer monitor. Worked well. Really noticeable if I forgot to use it.
They have blue LED electronic lights now. Follow the time instructions, too much will make you cranky. Good luck.

FullClip
12-08-2012, 07:56
Took this photo from the site office stairs at 1:00PM, right after lunch.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/FullClip/Riga8Dec121PM.jpg

This is first glimpse of the sun we've had in a week or so here. Yeah....the days are short here, and makes Maine look down right tropical about now.:supergrin: