How to explain to the wife's family. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How to explain to the wife's family.

Throop210
12-02-2012, 06:57
How do I help them understand why I conceal carry? I've been carrying my glock 26 in a crossbreed holster now for a little over a year and it has not been a problem because they never even knew I had it. That all changed yesterday when I went to nieces 2 year birthday party. I have a 2 year old of my own and he just seems to be putting words together better everyday. Well he knows what a gun is and he knows I carry it with me. He went to give me a hug at the birthday party and his left arm hit my gun and he says "daddy's gun" and points. Well of course my sister in law as well has her mother heard this and now they are all pissed at me. They ask why I would need to bring a gun to a 2 year olds birthday party. How would you handle this situation and help them understand?

FullClip
12-02-2012, 07:07
Yep....kids can be the undoing of many "secrets". They're just too honest to know when to keep their yaps shut.

A lot of people would freak out about having a gun within a half mile radius of a child, and if they are kool-aid drinking moon-bats, there isn't any way to explain, justify or even discuss it with them.

Lot's of luck with the whole deal. Maybe the best tactic here is to toss the wifey the hot potato and let her deal with her family on the subject. and maybe explain how she feels safer for herself and your child when you are able to defend them.

redbrd
12-02-2012, 07:10
Tell them it because your teleporter is broken.

Throop210
12-02-2012, 07:15
I wish I could toss that potato to the wife but she doesn't like guns either and of course sides with them. I'm screwed lol.

ithaca_deerslayer
12-02-2012, 07:20
First, you've got to teach your kid not talk about your gun. Also make sure to teach gun safety to your kid, as an ongoing process from now till his teens and beyond. But obviously time to start now.

You carry a gun, because like a seat belt, you never know when you are going to need it. You hope never to get into an automobile crash, and you hope never to have to use your gun.

Pretty much that simple, that short. Don't debate it with them. State that much to them and move on. They will have to accept you as you are. Refuse to talk about it more than that. Don't answer questions as to if you are carrying.

One last point, hope not to derail your thread with it, as it is just an option open to you: If your kid at 2 is a handful, consider the option of empty chamber carry. I did that with a 26 when my son was 2. Rough housing, day to day living, etc, I wanted to reduce the possibility of his getting his hands on the trigger. It was just an extra bit of safety while still treating the gun as loaded and keeping it away from him. As he got just a little older and understood more about guns, I transitioned back to chambered carry. I'm just mentioning the idea, knowing 99% of GT is against it :)

Bill Keith
12-02-2012, 07:25
Simple answer: " I am willing to use deadly force to protect my loved ones".

JimmyN
12-02-2012, 07:26
Ask them if they have smoke detectors in their house. If they do is it because they expect to have a fire any day now, or just in case? Ask if they wear seatbelts when driving and if so is it because they know they're going to be in a accident before they get back home, or do they wear them just in case. Do they have life insurance because they expect to die any day now, or just in case.

You carry a personal defense sidearm that you never expect to need.... but have it with you just in case.

The "why did you need to bring that to a (whatever event it is)" statement is common. That implies that you only have it because you were going to a party. But you didn't "bring it to the party" anymore than you intentionally decided to bring your shoes or your shirt to the party. Did they ask why in the world you needed to bring your wallet, which you also have with you all the time, to a kids birthday party? Probably not.

GreenDrake
12-02-2012, 07:36
Pretty simple, you point back to your son and say "see that little man, his life is worth protecting". For someone to be angry about it doesn't make sense. It's no different than a swiss army knife in your pocket.

FullClip
12-02-2012, 07:42
I wish I could toss that potato to the wife but she doesn't like guns either and of course sides with them. I'm screwed lol.

Ooooh Boy. Yep, yer' screwed. Gonna' be a tough row to hoe here. Logic may not even be able to come into the discussion with some folks and you'll always be labeled the family "gun nut" and they won't let their little kids come visit you....hmmm. Maybe there is an upside to this deal.:supergrin:

Lotsa' luck with this one, but if the wife ain't on your side, then I'm afraid you're on your own and the deck is stacked against you.

sheriff733
12-02-2012, 07:47
"Because I like to shoot people that ask why I conceal carry."

Throop210
12-02-2012, 07:55
Great suggestions. I'll try to hit them with some of these and if that doesn't work then screw it. I might just end up that family gun nut as you suggest.

RonS
12-02-2012, 08:03
You better hope that they never understand, because that kind of person can usually only learn through direct, traumatic personal experience.

I would just tell them that it is a choice, like exercising, wearing seatbelts, or looking for the exits when entering a public place. Each of us is responsible for ensuring the safety of those we care about, and no one should judge another for the choices they make unless they have some substantial impact on the person complaining.

Many people deal with life by choosing to live in condition white because it requires no mental effort. For most of them it works quite well, odds are nothing bad is going to happen to them anyway. If you are lucky you will lug around your G26 for your whole life and never need it.

If you can reach the end of your life and ask yourself, "Wow, did I carry that damn gun around my whole life for nothing?" you win.

paynter2
12-02-2012, 08:05
The same reason I got my CC permit - because I can.

I don't know why you need an explanation to exercise a constitutional right.

Ruble Noon
12-02-2012, 08:06
How do I help them understand why I conceal carry? I've been carrying my glock 26 in a crossbreed holster now for a little over a year and it has not been a problem because they never even knew I had it. That all changed yesterday when I went to nieces 2 year birthday party. I have a 2 year old of my own and he just seems to be putting words together better everyday. Well he knows what a gun is and he knows I carry it with me. He went to give me a hug at the birthday party and his left arm hit my gun and he says "daddy's gun" and points. Well of course my sister in law as well has her mother heard this and now they are all pissed at me. They ask why I would need to bring a gun to a 2 year olds birthday party. How would you handle this situation and help them understand?

Why explain anything? If they say something just tell them "I carry a gun. That's just how it is."

Z71bill
12-02-2012, 08:08
Ask them if they have smoke detectors in their house. If they do is it because they expect to have a fire any day now, or just in case? Ask if they wear seatbelts when driving and if so is it because they know they're going to be in a accident before they get back home, or do they wear them just in case. Do they have life insurance because they expect to die any day now, or just in case.

You carry a personal defense sidearm that you never expect to need.... but have it with you just in case.

The "why did you need to bring that to a (whatever event it is)" statement is common. That implies that you only have it because you were going to a party. But you didn't "bring it to the party" anymore than you intentionally decided to bring your shoes or your shirt to the party. Did they ask why in the world you needed to bring your wallet, which you also have with you all the time, to a kids birthday party? Probably not.

I think this nails it -- :agree:

To the OP - You know the next thing will be - you are welcome to come inside my home - but no guns allowed.

I know I would be faced with this if some of my relatives knew I CC.

No doubt - people have the right to not have guns in their home - it is their home - they get to decide.

Course you can always decide to not go inside the house.

I have left my CC gun in the car a few times - because I knew the people did not want guns in their house - and don't think it would be right for me to bring something into their home without their knowledge.

Strange way my brain works - if they ever find out I do CC and tell me to not bring my gun inside their home - I would then just not go to their home. :shocked:

My sister was a progressive liberal anti gun democrat - we got along OK in general - but disagreed on many things. We would have friendly debates all the time.

Her husband got promoted and she ended up living right by Memphis. Got some exposure to crime and then she called me up and ask me what type of GUN I would recommend for HD that was small enough to also be CARRIED. :shocked:

Last time she was in Houston we actually agreed on politics - and talked guns a little too. :cool:

She ended up with a .380 auto - and has also changed her political view - I think she is turning into a conservative.

Baba Louie
12-02-2012, 08:10
GreenDrake says it all for me Pretty simple, you point back to your son and say "see that little man, his life is worth protecting".As is your wifes life. Even if she doesn't like it. End of discussion as far as I'd be concerned. YMMV

You could go thru old news stories and find examples of family members or outsiders terminally interrupting parties and family gatherings, church meetings, etc... but why bother? Haters gonna hate, bad things do happen to good people every day, and your job is to be a father and husband... so keep on keeping on.

Resqu2
12-02-2012, 08:13
Tell them to read the news and wake up as to whats happening around them then ask why they don't want to protect their own family? It took a few local news stories before my wife started asking "you do have your gun?" as were leaving for the day.

seanmac45
12-02-2012, 08:16
I'll give you a good price on that 26 when they finally wear you down to the point where you give it up.

Drain You
12-02-2012, 08:16
It is none of their business. In laws are not family, if you don't believe me get a divorce and find out.

kenpoprofessor
12-02-2012, 08:23
Pretty simple, don't go to that house. You will not convince them of anything, or why you carry, they'll always retort with "well, you don't need a gun".

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

Bruce M
12-02-2012, 08:27
"Because I like to shoot people that ask why I conceal carry.":rofl::rofl:

I'll give you a good price on that 26 when they finally wear you down to the point where you give it up.
:rofl::rofl:

skinny99
12-02-2012, 08:28
This is the time where you exert your manhood. You have only one job as a husband and father. To protect your family and raise your son. Tell the wife how it's gonna be and have her get on board. It is not her decision. Same thing with her family. Let them know that when you and your family are there, you will be carrying. If that is unacceptable then let them know that you or your family will not be visiting. It is that simple.

FYI I carry everywhere. Including my daughters 1st birthday party, the 1 year old's party I went to yesterday and the 4 year old's party I am going to today!
Crime is getting worse, I won't be a defenseless victim, neither should you!

ScumPunisher
12-02-2012, 08:28

This is exactly how it was explained to my family. CALMLY. The seatbelt portion really drove the point home. If they still persist, f@$k 'em. Sometimes those of us who are protectors are vilified and reviled no matter what. Simple human nature. They want to live in their "nothing will ever happen to me" fantasy world and anything that is a reminder of the true reality disrupts this for them.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

concretefuzzynuts
12-02-2012, 08:56
If somebody asks why I carry a gun I say, "Cause I can't carry a cop".

Steel Head
12-02-2012, 09:26
Pretty simple, you point back to your son and say "see that little man, his life is worth protecting". For someone to be angry about it doesn't make sense. It's no different than a swiss army knife in your pocket.

This.
Really you have nothing to explain anyway but I'm single and I realize the shenanigans required to keep the family happy:faint:

Good luck:wavey:

FLIPPER 348
12-02-2012, 09:30
Why explain anything? If they say something just tell them "I carry a gun. That's just how it is."

.....and to mind their own business

beatcop
12-02-2012, 09:44
yup, pretty much a waste of air to explain to some types.

-you seldom change anyones mind
-some have years of programming that will not be undone
-do you really care what they think?
-you can't talk your way out of being branded a kook, so don't bother

I just say, "...because the world can be a dangerous place" and leave it at that.

Paul_J
12-02-2012, 09:52
Was this party in a public place or at someone's home?

Public place, you're good to go except you must remember to conceal better.

Someone's home, you owe them an apology first and then an explanation as to why you feel it necessary to carry.

I had to defend my CHL at a dinner party. The host asked if I was currently armed and I explained that since I did not know them very well and I was in their house I was not armed. After that it was real easy to present my reasons for my CHL. I even got a laugh out of everyone when I told them I carried a gun because police officers are too heavy.

VC-Racing
12-02-2012, 09:57
I'm fortunate to have decent in-laws. When they have their family GTG, we all end up at my FIL's back yard range spending a lil family time putting holes in paper.

What the old adage ...... When seconds count, the police are minutes away........:wavey:

HexHead
12-02-2012, 09:59
I had to defend my CHL at a dinner party. The host asked if I was currently armed

I usually just respond with "I'm wearing pants, aren't I?"

To the OP, I would have just explained that wearing my gun was just as much a part of my daily routine as grabbing my keys and wallet. And leave it at that.

F14Scott
12-02-2012, 10:00
"Why do you need to bring a gun to a birthday party?"

"Are you afraid something will happen?" (Because, they are. They don't understand safeties and holsters and proper gun handling. They only know that every once in a while, CNN reports a kid finding a gun and shooting himself.)

However they answer, stay calm and in control, and offer to take them to the range to teach them how safe the gun is. You have to change the tone to where YOU are the sane one, and THEY are the hoplophobic worrywarts.

As long as you are answering their questions, you'll never win. Your only chance is to make the fight yours, and influence them with strength and kindness.

Hef
12-02-2012, 10:23

The first time around, be polite while explaining your reasons. Listen to their concerns, and be gentle in correcting them when they are wrong. Whether they see it your way or not, respect any request to not carry on their property.

Do not agree specifically to disarm on their property, nor at family events. Do not engage in debates on crime statistics nor moral issues. Lay out your reasons and don't respond to criticism of your views.

Should it come up again, and they become aggressive in demanding that you be disarmed elsewhere or altogether, firmly but politely remind them that they are free to hold their opinion, but they get no vote in the matter, and that all future disagreements will not be so polite.

I have been this route with my inlaws. They don't like it but they know better than to try to argue with me. When at their home I leave the gun in the car and we stay away from gun discussions.

tantrix
12-02-2012, 10:35
That all changed yesterday when I went to nieces 2 year birthday party. I have a 2 year old of my own and he just seems to be putting words together better everyday. Well he knows what a gun is and he knows I carry it with me. He went to give me a hug at the birthday party and his left arm hit my gun and he says "daddy's gun" and points. Well of course my sister in law as well has her mother heard this and now they are all pissed at me.

Option #1: Tell sis-in-law to pound sand, go on with life.

Option #2:

Tell them your state allows you to exercise your right to bear arms, and your right to self-defense as a human being and you take advantage of it. If they can't understand that, they won't understand anything.

But, from the sounds of it...they come off as anti-gun and there's no amount of explaining that will get the point across. I'd probably go with option 1 from the beginning, but try option 2 first and if that fails...option 1.

rozz421
12-02-2012, 10:37
Thats why I love to pocket carry to functions.

Hef
12-02-2012, 10:45
Thats why I love to pocket carry to functions.

I pocket carry a .38 often, but when practical I carry a 1911 in a retention holster. Sometimes pocket carry is just so much more convenient.

TK-421
12-02-2012, 11:18
If somebody asks why I carry a gun I say, "Cause I can't carry a cop".

I like this one. :rofl:

janice6
12-02-2012, 11:26
I explained to them that I carry:

1) because I can

2) Because I want to

3) Because I have a very good reason to

4) if it is not acceptable to them, adiós.

I am still welcome at their house.

I am also welcome at the house of friends that are adamantly against guns but have determined our friendship is paramount.

Slug71
12-02-2012, 11:42
Lots of good advice here.

I've been faced with the same questions a couple of times.
I tell them its because I usually have other stops to make before of after any function and it goes with the pants like my wallet, keys and phone. I usually offer to take them shooting the next time I go too. This is the best way to show them your safety awareness and the responsibility you take. Many people are afraid of guns until they hit the target.

Mention some crime that has been going on in the area too.

It is also your duty to protect you you and your loved ones.

stolenphot0
12-02-2012, 11:48
I am sure I will be facing this one day. My SIL already casually mentioned that she doesn't want to be around anyone CCW'ing. This was said before I got my CHL. So it's a bonus if she means it :whistling:

Hef
12-02-2012, 11:54
I am sure I will be facing this one day. My SIL already casually mentioned that she doesn't want to be around anyone CCW'ing. This was said before I got my CHL. So it's a bonus if she means it :whistling:

Ask her how she plans to live as a hermit.

janice6
12-02-2012, 11:58
I should add to my previous post, I do not blatantly display my weapon, ever. But, they still know I am armed.

stolenphot0
12-02-2012, 12:11
Ask her how she plans to live as a hermit.

Honestly I don't care how she lives. She is 2.5 hours away along with her pansy cousin that told his mom that he couldn't defend his home. :wow: His mom said that she would be the one defending that house if someone ever broke in and threatened her grandson.

I carried the weekend the entire family (38 of us) went to some cabins. No one ever saw my 19 and I didn't need it. Which is the point. I am sure if they knew I had it they would have freaked.

When the time comes and I get asked that question, the answer will be "Because I can".

DaneA
12-02-2012, 12:13
The root problem here is that your wife is not on your side. It really doesn't matter if you are right or wrong she should be standing with you not against you in public and discussing the decision in private. With in laws if your wife is not in your court then you just need to drop it and not even discuss it with them.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

ithaca_deerslayer
12-02-2012, 12:16

In my opinion carrying a gun is like wearing underwear. Nobody needs to know what you are wearing, nor what color it is. None of their business.

As far as going into people's home, don't ask don't tell. If they ask, don't tell. If they don't want you there, then they can ask you to leave, and you leave.

According to my non-lawyer understanding of NYS law, the only person I have to tell I am carrying a gun is a police officer. And that's only if he/she asks me.

Keep it concealed, teach your kid not to talk about your carrying a gun, and you won't have these problems :)

Carrys
12-02-2012, 12:21
It's always interesting to me how sane, calm, and rational we are supposed to be when explaining to others why we carry a gun.

Yet, when they express their feelings concerning us.....it's in the form of anger, fear, and anything except calmness. We are always the ones who are expected to show intellect and reason, but they can show whatever strikes their fear and nonsense induced selves.

They are looked at as normal feeling folks simply scared and not understanding of the topic. But let one of our ilk say something a bit off key.................and we're all rednecks with a vast arsenal ready to destroy the world.:wavey:

It doesn't matter what we or they say actually, their fear will always prevail over our rights. :faint:

Never being scared or hurt is what they look at as having their "rights" upheld.

INJoker
12-02-2012, 14:17
I'm very close with my family and we spend a lot of time around one another - there is always hugging and back-slapping, etc. I'm the only person in my family that carries religiously, but some others do pretty routinely.

I was outed for carrying a Glock OWB a few years ago by some somewhat-anti family members and given some flack over it. I just told them what other posters have said - that my family's safety is important to me and that I'm not paranoid.

Afterward, I switched to carrying a S&W 442 on my ankle until I was outed again. That time, it was just a, "Oh, we didn't know you were still carrying a gun." My response was, "I know." Haha.

After that, I switched to a Ruger LCP, pocket-carry. Nobody knows what/if I am carrying for sure, but they all just kind of assume now that I am. I haven't been outed with my LCP in over a year.

What's hilarious is that on two different occasions in the last 12 months, we've found ourselves in situations where family members either felt "threatened" or extremely uncomfortable. One was a semi-aggressive, tweaker-looking panhandler in Indianapolis and another was a belligerent, crazy-eyed drunk that invited himself to our table at a bar.

Both times, after the situation was cleared up, the most prominent antis in the group quietly asked me if I had my gun - as in whispering, "Hey... You have your gun with you, right? Good."

I don't pretend to understand how carrying while Christmas shopping is "bad," but how having that same firearm 10 minutes later while being mugged on the street is "good," but in their warped minds, it makes sense.

No obvious "need" for gun (i.e. kid's birthday party): gun = bad
Obvious "need" for gun (i.e. while being raped): gun = good

They must think firearms magically appear in the good guys' hands only when they're "needed."

janice6
12-02-2012, 14:43
Guns are bad.

Until they feel one is necessary to continue their existence. Then they look around for someone (you) that can, or has the ability, protect them. They see you gun carriers as a "tool" (in every sense of the word) that is for their use, when it is convenient to them to feel safe. Thereby not compromising their liberal principles of being no threat to anyone.

The "tool" is a throwaway item when they are feeling safer and better about themselves. At that point they revert to their original "holier than thou" status, and berate you again for being such an anti-social paranoid "tool" that you feel you have to carry a gun. But, if you pay careful attention to them, you will realize they have more bravado and self-righteous behavior when you are around to "protect them".

I make sure to tell people that are concerned about my carrying a gun, that it is not for their safety, but mine and my family. They do not like the gun but resent that I am not there for their protection.

To be clear about this, I do not tell people I have a gun, and do not affirm I do, when asked. I believe in the few posted instances where something goes to hell and the frightened one turns to you a blurts out "do something, you have a gun". I want no part of losing my only advantage, surprise.

It's OK to be an ass, as long as you know you are and are still comfortable with it.

This is me.

ADDED for clarity:

Almost everyone in my extended family carries. Holidays are fun.

ithaca_deerslayer
12-02-2012, 14:46
I don't pretend to understand how carrying while Christmas shopping is "bad," but how having that same firearm 10 minutes later while being mugged on the street is "good," but in their warped minds, it makes sense.

No obvious "need" for gun (i.e. kid's birthday party): gun = bad
Obvious "need" for gun (i.e. while being raped): gun = good

They must think firearms magically appear in the good guys' hands only when they're "needed."

Well said.

racerford
12-02-2012, 14:49
Why does your 2 year old know you carry? 2 year old cannot keep a secret. They do not really understand the concept. My kids are 6 and 8 and they still do not know. Concealed means concealed, even from my family. My wife knows I carry a lot of the time. Sometimes, I can't due to where we are going (illegal at schools, among other places). She doesn't how much or when. We don't discuss it.

I pocket carried more when I had kids and would be carrying them. It doesn't get touched much. If a question comes up, it is my keys. If it is adults, I just say i am happy to see my wife. That usually stops the direction of conversation, and they move on to other things.

samuse
12-02-2012, 14:52
I would just sit quietly and get drunk by myself while thinking up the rudest most insulting thing I could say right as I was about to leave.

But I like to drink alone anyway...

Dan_ntx
12-02-2012, 14:55
If I were asked, I would politely let your in laws know that you are not going to discuss the subject with them. I would simply decline to participate in the arguement unless you truly believe that one party is likely to change their position.

If pressed, I would politely remind them that no laws are being broken, nobody is being put in harms way, and for that as long as they have known you things have been as they are now...and that they are not going to change.

Providing an excuse or a reason for your legal behavior is simply giving them permission to dissect your personal decisions and let you know how wrong they think you are...I'm not willing to have that discussion with anyone, much less my in laws.

*ASH*
12-02-2012, 14:55
ask them " have you ever had your tablet stolen >?

if it was me eff em
'

Kevin108
12-02-2012, 16:52
"Because I like to shoot people that ask why I conceal carry."

:rofl: Well, that too.

NeverMore1701
12-02-2012, 17:04
My family are (mostly) a bunch of flaming libs. I love them, and try to make either the Thanksgiving or Christmas gatherings as often as I can. When I do, I pocket carry. I'm still armed, they stay blissfully ignorant. Everyone wins.

SonOfMallNinja
12-02-2012, 17:51
There's a larger issue here than just carrying.

If your inlaws can put you on the defensive about this issue, then they will be questioning and second guessing every decision you ever make concerning your son and any other children you have in the future. You'll be justifying yourself at every holiday, picnic, wedding, funeral, camping trip, graduation, (what else am I forgetting here), for the rest of your life.

And it sounds like your wife is siding with them. Good luck.

Multiple Arms
12-02-2012, 19:27
I just tell my in-laws that I carry because my neck started constantly aching because instead of carrying, I wore a very large hat that contained a midget with a gun. :embarassed:

dhoomonyou
12-02-2012, 19:47
Tell them to SOD OFF.

4Rules
12-02-2012, 20:35
How do I help them understand why I conceal carry? How would you handle this situation and help them understand?

Buy them some books, books that will explain your position well (and far better than we could ever hope to with an off-the-cuff verbal attempt).

They might choose not to not read them. You can acknowledge that fact by saying to them: "You might not read this, but I have."

http://www.gunlaws.com/images/Photo/MGLC.jpg http://www.gunlaws.com/images/PhotoMed/FLT_Hupp.jpg http://www.gunlaws.com/images/PhotoMed/ThankGodIHadAGun.jpg http://www.gunlaws.com/images/Photo/CHM6.jpg

http://www.gunlaws.com/books.htm

AZ DBLTRBL
12-02-2012, 20:48

People that believe that owning/packing guns is wrong will never understand. You may not be able to bring them over to your way of thinking...and that's OK. You just keep on keeping on and let them think what they will. It's like trying to describe the color blue to blind people...no matter what you say or how descriptive you are, they just can't see it. They are blind.

Glocksanity
12-02-2012, 20:49
I would be more concerned about explaining why you only carry a 9mm instead of a real man stopping caliber.

jame
12-02-2012, 20:50
My family are (mostly) a bunch of flaming libs. I love them, and try to make either the Thanksgiving or Christmas gatherings as often as I can. When I do, I pocket carry. I'm still armed, they stay blissfully ignorant. Everyone wins.

That's the way you do it.

I'm all for concealed carry, but I don't wear a sandwich board sign that I am carrying.

From the family perspective? You're screwed. Just shut up and don't bring it up anymore. Time will heal.

For those insisting they'd make a stand? I'm betting long term relationships aren't their strong suit. There's more to this than concealed carry.

And buy an LCP for future sensitive situations like this.

Paul53
12-02-2012, 21:07
Keep it simple, as some have already suggested.

Never argue with a woman. You will lose.

Invite your family to the range. Shooting is fun, safe if done right, and addictive.

NickC50310
12-02-2012, 21:09
The bulk of my fiances family are democrats but thank god not liberals. When we first started dating in 08 she voted barrack. In 12 she voted romney because after dating me for four years she finally started to understand things with politics. Luckily for me most of her family knows i carry except for one aunt. We went to that aunts house for thanksgiving and i left my gun in the car. One of these days ill let her know i carry and proceed from there. Shes probably cool with it but i want to be sure so theres no surprise if im ever found out to be carrying in her house. Her 13 year old talks guns with me all the time so im probably good....

As for the op- if theyre card carrying liberal morons theres no hope reasoning with them.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

rick458
12-02-2012, 21:20
I personally have used [as in for emergency purposes]
(1) Seatblets
(2) Spare Tires
(3) Insurance -of several varieties
(4) Fire Extinguishers

Why would I reasonably expect NOT to have to defend Myself and My family of a deadly threat.

Gray_Rider
12-02-2012, 21:30
I started to quote several posters on this thread then realised I would have to quote the whole thread. So many thoughtfull and reasonable answers. Wonderfully put forth.

The problem with anti gunners -almost all liberals for that matter- is that logic is something they don't grasp. It's all about what or how they "feel" about something. Logic? Facts? Common sense? Reason? Proof that they are wrong beyond any assailable doubt? Totally useless with them. Most often you won't change their views. Some would cheerfully hide under a chair and tearfully await to be shot down like a sheep than try to or offer any defense of themselves or their families. Unimaginable but true. Most, as other posters have noted, rely on the law of averages and willfull ignorance to keep them safe.

Gun owners, especially CCWs are seen as "wild west" types who are looking for any reason to shoot someone, anyone, over anything. Proof to the contrary be d-----.

I can't add anything other than to not get involved in any arguements with them. Carry as discrete as you can around them and try to avoid 'discussions' about it. Being your wife is not on board that will make things that much more difficult. Just be the picture of safety and control of the weapon at all times. Especially with a little guy in the picture.

Gray_Rider

Gray_Rider
12-02-2012, 21:46
[QUOTE=Dan_ntx;19692547

If pressed, I would politely remind them that no laws are being broken, nobody is being put in harms way, and for that as long as they have known you things have been as they are now...and that they are not going to change.

Providing an excuse or a reason for your legal behavior is simply giving them permission to dissect your personal decisions and let you know how wrong they think you are...I'm not willing to have that discussion with anyone, much less my in laws.[/QUOTE]

Priceless Dan. Just priceless. Worth the whole thread those paragraphs.

JJohnson
12-02-2012, 21:55
Until you get your wife on your side, there is no point is dealing with the inlaws. If you can't take care of her, I'd start looking for a divorce attorney. Not to be too dramatic, but she will be under significant pressure from her family and if she cannot/will not tell them to blow it out their ass, she will be siding with them instead. that does not bode well for a marriage assuming you will not succumb.

Good luck.

Peace Warrior
12-02-2012, 22:01
Ask them why they wear seat belts. Albeit a different tool, it serves the exact same purpose as your CW.

12-02-2012, 22:13
The first, and I think the most important, is to teach your kid to keep his mouth shut or he'll narc you out at in inopportune situations - again.

Gray_Rider
12-02-2012, 22:24
I saw a good "It happened to me." article some years ago and the situation in question happened years before that. Typical of the anti gun mindset.....

Seems an anti gun woman co-worker of the man in question was being acosted at her car in an underground parking lot by three street thugs. She was about to be robbed-beaten-raped-made all gone by these cretins when our man arrived from behind with a pistol. The three thugs vanished without further adeu, and the lady, (with an anti gun bumpersticker on her rear bumper no less) got into her car w/o so much of a thank you and drove away. She never mentioned the issue to him after that and sometime later her car was sporting a bumpersticker for a major anti gun organization.....

The liberal mindset. Unfathomable.

Gray_Rider

sharpshooter
12-02-2012, 22:46
You suck at CCW if you can't even hide it from a 2 year old. That's bad parenting. your child is not an equal partner to you, so keep it a secret from him/her. Seriously, what are you doing allowing your any kid know about your (ccw) guns? Your kids should have no idea you're carrying a gun. Conceal it!. Never ever let your kids watch you put it on, or take it off, or get it out, or put it away, or mess with your holster, etc. Be sneaky. Lie if you have to, your kid should not know about your ccw, and if they don't know about it, they won't talk about it or look for it etc.

Inebriated
12-02-2012, 22:57
I don't get into the discussion.

If someone asks me why I carry, I usually just say something to the effect of "why not?" Rarely do they actually have a reason why not. If they have anything else to say, it's usually either an inquiry about the laws, or some liberal nonsense about how they've never needed a gun in their life. I just don't discuss it, because they will never get it.

NeverMore1701
12-03-2012, 02:43
You suck at CCW if you can't even hide it from a 2 year old. That's bad parenting. your child is not an equal partner to you, so keep it a secret from him/her. Seriously, what are you doing allowing your any kid know about your (ccw) guns? Your kids should have no idea you're carrying a gun. Conceal it!. Never ever let your kids watch you put it on, or take it off, or get it out, or put it away, or mess with your holster, etc. Be sneaky. Lie if you have to, your kid should not know about your ccw, and if they don't know about it, they won't talk about it or look for it etc.

Do you have kids?

Scrt_Agent_Man
12-03-2012, 05:24
Until you get your wife on your side, there is no point is dealing with the inlaws. If you can't take care of her, I'd start looking for a divorce attorney. Not to be too dramatic, but she will be under significant pressure from her family and if she cannot/will not tell them to blow it out their ass, she will be siding with them instead. that does not bode well for a marriage assuming you will not succumb.

Good luck.

This ^. If your wife is not on your side you have bigger problems than the in-laws and should worry about getting those sorted out first.

Bullman
12-03-2012, 05:29

Excellent explanation there. I would have said something like "Because I can"

Yes that reply is just me, and no, I am not cracking on Jimmy's explanation, I really like it, it was very well thought out and logical. I couldnt think of a smilie to use this morning, too early yet.

INJoker
12-03-2012, 05:59
I'm not trying to go all high-and-mighty on some of you who think the best course of action is to hide the fact that you carry from your children/family, but I disagree with that approach.

Now, do I think it's wise to tell a toddler that you carry and then expect them not to blow your cover? No.

But do I think it's wise to hide your guns/gear from your children once they are old enough to understand what a firearm is, how it is used, and what they should do if they encounter one? Absolutely not.

I don't want to tell anyone how to parent, but I was raised to understand and respect firearms from a very young age. I never "played" with a gun or showed one to my friends because it was "cool" or whatever.

Educate your kids and satisfy their curiosities about firearms. If it's not a big deal to them, they won't make it a big deal in public or anywhere else.

Again, two years old is a bit young for that kind of thing, but once the kid is a little older (5-6), it's definitely time to start educating him/her in my mind.

singularity35
12-03-2012, 06:07
I explained to them that I carry:

1) because I can

2) Because I want to

3) Because I have a very good reason to

4) if it is not acceptable to them, adiós.

I am still welcome at their house.

I am also welcome at the house of friends that are adamantly against guns but have determined our friendship is paramount.

This, especially the bolded part.

mgs
12-03-2012, 06:15
I think you need to learn how to carry better.....ousted by a kid. Pretty funny if you ask me. BTW....the Sheeple don't get it anyways. Save your breath.

HexHead
12-03-2012, 07:11
I saw a good "It happened to me." article some years ago and the situation in question happened years before that. Typical of the anti gun mindset.....

Seems an anti gun woman co-worker of the man in question was being acosted at her car in an underground parking lot by three street thugs. She was about to be robbed-beaten-raped-made all gone by these cretins when our man arrived from behind with a pistol. The three thugs vanished without further adeu, and the lady, (with an anti gun bumpersticker on her rear bumper no less) got into her car w/o so much of a thank you and drove away. She never mentioned the issue to him after that and sometime later her car was sporting a bumpersticker for a major anti gun organization.....

The liberal mindset. Unfathomable.

Gray_Rider

With that bumper sticker on her car, I would have let them have their way with her and walked away.

Bullman
12-03-2012, 07:23
With that bumper sticker on her car, I would have let them have their way with her and walked away.

I wouldn't. Being the crusader I am I would have saved her all the same. She has a right to be stupid.

ArtificialGrape
12-03-2012, 07:28
To the OP - You know the next thing will be - you are welcome to come inside my home - but no guns allowed.
This is the fallout that I would also anticipate.

-ArtificialGrape

Brucev
12-03-2012, 07:35

You've been watching to much T.V. Normal people don't carry guns to birthday parties for little girls and boys. They bring a present for the birthday girl and in general act like normal people. Your SIL and MIL are entirely correct in expecting you to leave your hogleg at home. Your not in Kansas... their house is not your own little Dodge City. Grow up.

racerford
12-03-2012, 08:22
I'm not trying to go all high-and-mighty on some of you who think the best course of action is to hide the fact that you carry from your children/family, but I disagree with that approach.

Now, do I think it's wise to tell a toddler that you carry and then expect them not to blow your cover? No.

But do I think it's wise to hide your guns/gear from your children once they are old enough to understand what a firearm is, how it is used, and what they should do if they encounter one? Absolutely not.

I don't want to tell anyone how to parent, but I was raised to understand and respect firearms from a very young age. I never "played" with a gun or showed one to my friends because it was "cool" or whatever.

Educate your kids and satisfy their curiosities about firearms. If it's not a big deal to them, they won't make it a big deal in public or anywhere else.

Again, two years old is a bit young for that kind of thing, but once the kid is a little older (5-6), it's definitely time to start educating him/her in my mind.

It is not that you should hide the fact that you have guns in your household from your family. It is not that you shouldn't teach your kids about guns. Of course you should; even if you don't own guns.

It's that 2 years old is too young to tell them that you carry. They can't keep it a secret. So now you are really not carrying concealed.

My children know we have guns. They know what to do if they find one. They know they are not a topic of public conversation. They do not need to know that I am carrying one at any given moment or at all.

To those that bag on someone for not being able to conceal a firearm from children, they don't understand the logistics. That is like bagging on someone for not being able to conceal a handgun from someone frisking you. Small children have no boundaries on touching. A two year old is about waist height, that is about the height they grab you. The more you obviously protect one spot, the more observant adults will notice what you are doing. Front pocket carry helps with this is it appears you are just protecting your privates.

BEER
12-03-2012, 08:28
i don't explain why i carry because very few know, and the ones that do also carry.

the world we live in is not all lollipops and unicorn farts, it is a dirty, violent, and unkind world full of violent evil predators constantly looking for easy prey. i am not prey and i will not invite the attention of predators by surrounding myself with a herd of prey animals.

i do not have the time, the patience, or the inclination to try to convince someone that they're an idiot and need to change. they are full grown adults and they know the reality of the world just as well as the rest of us so if they decide blunder through life blissfully unarmed and unprepared for the dangers out there then that's their decision and their problem. i will not help them.

racerford
12-03-2012, 08:44
You've been watching to much T.V. Normal people don't carry guns to birthday parties for little girls and boys. They bring a present for the birthday girl and in general act like normal people. Your SIL and MIL are entirely correct in expecting you to leave your hogleg at home. Your not in Kansas... their house is not your own little Dodge City. Grow up.

Carrying weapons is normal behavior. It has been done for millions of years by almost every species of animal. They are carried during every aspect of their lives. It would be abnormal for a creature to go about defenseless. It would in fact be contrary to their very survival of the species.

Carrying a gun does not deter one from bringing a present to a birthday party.

You don't know is SIL and MIL and where they live, perhaps it is more dangerous than Dodge City Kansas. I have seen what seems like of shootings lately at children's birthday parties, that doesn't sound safe at all.

Given that most people are murdered by people they know, perhaps carrying around family is EXACTLY where one should carry for protection. Again he knows his MIL and SIL better than you do.

In my family, anyone that would carry a gun, I trust them to do it. If I don't trust them enough, I don't associate with them.

Throop210
12-03-2012, 08:59
I thought about responding to him but decided against it. If I were to I couldn't have said it better.

sharpshooter
12-03-2012, 08:59
Teaching kids about firearm safety is an entirely separate issue from exposing them to your ccw habits. Yes I have small kids and no they don't know when/if I am wearing a gun. I NEVER let them see me holster, unholster, take out of the safe, put away, etc. Not ever. They don't see it so they don't think about it. They have their "own" kids .22 and have been taught gun safety, but they have no idea that I ccw.

Big Bird
12-03-2012, 12:24
When someone asks me why I carry I turn the question back on them--"You mean you don't carry? Why not?"

wvtarheel
12-03-2012, 12:29
I agree with your complete and absolute right to carry a gun anywhere you want to........

But if you are a guest in someone's home you are subject to their rules. If you knew this would bother them I think you were in the wrong. In my mind, its like how some people have you leave your shoes at the door. You can say "my shoes are clean" or "I have a right to wear shoes" all you want, but it isn't your carpet. You are a guest.

EDIT: If I were you, I would apologize (which will piss them off if they are high and mighty types), promise never to carry in their home again, and offer to take them to the range if they want to go. Kill em with kindness. Being confrontational will never convert them, and will only fulfill their stereotypes of gun owners.

SGT278ACR
12-03-2012, 13:17
Explain to them that criminal psychos have no considerations or morals about where they choos to unleash their fury. For example... use the Aurora, Colorado movie theater shooting when explaining it to them. I'm sure nobody thought it was necessary to carry a concealed weapon for protection to a movie, but then that psycho did what he did. If there had been a law abiding concealed carry person there with their gun, that whole incident might not have gotten as bad as it did. The legal gun carrier could have tried to stop the assailant.

WarCry
12-03-2012, 13:21
It doesn't matter what we or they say actually, their fear will always prevail over our rights in their home. :faint:

I made a minor change to this that makes it correct.

When the time comes that IL allows CCW (and it will come, and soon), I will talk to my family about their feelings on it. Not in a confrontational way, and not in a shock/startlement/discovery way. I mean I want to know where they stand BEFORE emotions are ramped up and everyone's scared, pissed, and tense. If they say they'd rather not have them in their house, then it's up to me to decide if I still want to be part of family events.

But it will be a choice made ahead of time, not an issue to be dealt with if I'm "caught".

RustyL
12-03-2012, 13:50
I'm thinking like you, now that the cat is out of the bag, he will be asked to leave it in the vehicle and possibly not welcomed at all.

I too live near Memphis, in Arkansas. I work in Memphis and decided this year to purchase a handgun and get a CC permit. At least in Tn. and Ms. ones doesn't have A duty to retreat, Arkansas you do.

I think this nails it -- :agree:

I know I would be faced with this if some of my relatives knew I CC.

No doubt - people have the right to not have guns in their home - it is their home - they get to decide.

Course you can always decide to not go inside the house.

I have left my CC gun in the car a few times - because I knew the people did not want guns in their house - and don't think it would be right for me to bring something into their home without their knowledge.

Strange way my brain works - if they ever find out I do CC and tell me to not bring my gun inside their home - I would then just not go to their home. :shocked:

My sister was a progressive liberal anti gun democrat - we got along OK in general - but disagreed on many things. We would have friendly debates all the time.

Her husband got promoted and she ended up living right by Memphis. Got some exposure to crime and then she called me up and ask me what type of GUN I would recommend for HD that was small enough to also be CARRIED. :shocked:

Last time she was in Houston we actually agreed on politics - and talked guns a little too. :cool:

She ended up with a .380 auto - and has also changed her political view - I think she is turning into a conservative.

Bren
12-03-2012, 14:23
They ask why I would need to bring a gun to a 2 year olds birthday party. How would you handle this situation and help them understand?

I'd tell them it's harder than you think to beat a 2-year-old to death with a stick.

Glocksanity
12-03-2012, 15:42
Carrying weapons is normal behavior. It has been done for millions of years by almost every species of animal.

So is having sex. But that does not mean it is okay to have sex at a two year old's birthday party at your inlaws place.

CCW holders need to realize that others freak out about guns. So, don't carry them in their homes if they don't like it. And if you get busted, apologize and promise not to do it again.

No need to get all high and mighty and defend why you have a gun. No need to draw a line in the sand and say "I'm a gun owner and I conceal carry and if you don't like it then I can't come over because you never know when an attack might happen."

Lighten up Frances. There is more to life than carrying a gun and being a hard core advocate of carrying 24/7 regardless of the circumstance.

Glocksanity
12-03-2012, 15:44
I agree with your complete and absolute right to carry a gun anywhere you want to........

But if you are a guest in someone's home you are subject to their rules. If you knew this would bother them I think you were in the wrong. In my mind, its like how some people have you leave your shoes at the door. You can say "my shoes are clean" or "I have a right to wear shoes" all you want, but it isn't your carpet. You are a guest.

EDIT: If I were you, I would apologize (which will piss them off if they are high and mighty types), promise never to carry in their home again, and offer to take them to the range if they want to go. Kill em with kindness. Being confrontational will never convert them, and will only fulfill their stereotypes of gun owners.

Exactly.

concretefuzzynuts
12-03-2012, 16:01
So is having sex. But that does not mean it is okay to have sex at a two year old's birthday party at your inlaws place.

One of the dumbest things posted on GT.

Hef
12-03-2012, 16:10

Normal people carry guns.

NeverMore1701
12-03-2012, 16:21
I'm conducting a mandatory stupid check in this thread. Yep, plenty of it. Carry on!

ChuteTheMall
12-03-2012, 16:23
If you can't even conceal it from a 2 year old, maybe you aren't ready yet.

I doubt any clever one-line zinger will win your in-laws over.

Your two year old son had no business knowing about your gun, you messed up already.

Glocksanity
12-03-2012, 16:38
One of the dumbest things posted on GT.

Thank you.

concretefuzzynuts
12-03-2012, 16:42
You are welcome.

I've been in the club.

sharpshooter
12-03-2012, 16:50
He hides christmas presents from his (2-yr-old) kid, but not his ccw. Serious issues going on! He probably "likes" everybody knowing about his ccw, you know, making a poor effort to conceal it and talking about it all the time.

Roering
12-03-2012, 16:55
"why do you carry?"

Answer:

"Because I just know that someday they will catch up to me."

When they ask who just say you'd rather not talk about it and ask to sit away from the window if at all possible.

dango
12-03-2012, 17:01
Most people go through life seeing or reading the ugly dark things that happen to good people all the time.They rarely think it will ever be them .

This is your assurance that it will not be you or yours. If they can't understand that , I don't know what else to tell them.From car-jackings to just being in the wrong place at the wrong time , things happen !

INJoker
12-03-2012, 18:00
He hides christmas presents from his (2-yr-old) kid, but not his ccw. Serious issues going on! He probably "likes" everybody knowing about his ccw, you know, making a poor effort to conceal it and talking about it all the time.

You've met Mr. Throop? :upeyes:

racerford
12-03-2012, 20:46

CCW holders need to realize that others freak out about guns. So, don't carry them in their homes if they don't like it. And if you get busted, apologize and promise not to do it again.

No need to get all high and mighty and defend why you have a gun. No need to draw a line in the sand and say "I'm a gun owner and I conceal carry and if you don't like it then I can't come over because you never know when an attack might happen."

Lighten up Frances. There is more to life than carrying a gun and being a hard core advocate of carrying 24/7 regardless of the circumstance.

I didn't say he should whip out his weapon and show everybody and shoot one of them.

You analogy is poor. A better analogy is bringing your sexual organs to the 2 year olds birthday party. It is a normal and acceptable thing to do. It would be inappropriate to whip it out. That is a more correct analogy.

Now I don't know you, maybe you leave your private parts at home. Maybe you are unable to control your urges, so it is necessary to leave yours at home. I don't have that problem with my private parts, or my pistols. So I bring mine with me in case an appropriate situation arises.

NeverMore1701
12-03-2012, 20:57
I didn't say he should whip out his weapon and show everybody and shoot one of them.

You analogy is poor. A better analogy is bringing your sexual organs to the 2 year olds birthday party. It is a normal and acceptable thing to do. It would be inappropriate to whip it out. That is a more correct analogy.

Now I don't know you, maybe you leave your private parts at home. Maybe you are unable to control your urges, so it is necessary to leave yours at home. I don't have that problem with my private parts, or my pistols. So I bring mine with me in case an appropriate situation arises.

:perfect10:

Lowjiber
12-04-2012, 05:30
Respectfully, you're screwed in more ways than one.

wvtarheel
12-04-2012, 06:11

Well sexual organs isn't a good analogy since most of us are physically incapable of removing them. BUT if your two year old is at a birthday party pointing at your crotch and telling people about your schlong, its clear you have told him too much, just like here the guy should not have told his two year old he was conceal carrying.

The problem with the original post is he was a guest in the home of someone who did not approve, at a kid's birthday party. Now most of us here know that doesn't make a difference but you don't have to be a psychologist to know that in the mind of an anti-gun person, it will make a difference.

As ignorant and close-minded as his in-laws might be, it is disrespectful to bring a gun into their home knowing that it will upset them.

HexHead
12-04-2012, 06:38
As ignorant and close-minded as his in-laws might be, it is disrespectful to bring a gun into their home knowing that it will upset them.

Apparently that wasn't known up front. Knowing that now, I'd never set foot in their home again.

Brucev
12-04-2012, 06:43
[QUOTE=racerford;19695187]Carrying weapons is normal behavior. It has been done for millions of years by almost every species of animal. They are carried during every aspect of their lives. It would be abnormal for a creature to go about defenseless. It would in fact be contrary to their very survival of the species. The vast overwhelming majority of people in America do not go around with a gun on their hip or under their arm when at work, fishing, jogging, walking, shopping or... even going to a child's birthday party. That is the norm of everyday life. That norm is what a reasonable man would expect. As to rambling about animals, etc., silly is as silly does.

Carrying a gun does not deter one from bringing a present to a birthday party. The gentleman should have brought a present and left his gun at home. It had not place at a child's birthday party.

You don't know is SIL and MIL and where they live, perhaps it is more dangerous than Dodge City Kansas. I have seen what seems like of shootings lately at children's birthday parties, that doesn't sound safe at all. If the gentleman was afraid to go out the door w/o his gun, then he should have simply picked up the phone and called to say that he could not attend the party. To sneaking around is not the mark of a man.

Given that most people are murdered by people they know, perhaps carrying around family is EXACTLY where one should carry for protection. Again he knows his MIL and SIL better than you do. Again, if this man is afraid ... in this case of his family, then he should simply have picked up the phone and called to tell them that he was to afraid of them to come to the party. He should have told them that he was concerned that one of them might try to murder him. After all, it was a child's birthday party. No telling what might happen.

In my family, anyone that would carry a gun, I trust them to do it. If I don't trust them enough, I don't associate with them. And there you provide the correct course of action for such a family gathering as mentioned in the OP. If you are afraid of your family, don't attend family gatherings. It's that simple. To sneak around hiding a gun while attending a family gathering at the home of a relative is the action of a dishonest man.

HexHead
12-04-2012, 06:55
To sneak around hiding a gun while attending a family gathering at the home of a relative is the action of a dishonest man. [/I]

"sneaking around hiding a gun"? Is that how you see people that have carry permits and exercise their right?

You must be one of those pukes that thinks only cops should carry a gun.

Hef
12-04-2012, 07:21
"sneaking around hiding a gun"? Is that how you see people that have carry permits and exercise their right?

You must be one of those pukes that thinks only cops should carry a gun.

I wonder what Bruce would say about open carry then? No sneaking around with a 1911 on my hip. It's out there for everyone to see, if they notice it at all.

BicycleDay43
12-04-2012, 07:27

Sounds like your inlaw is about as in touch with reality as her 2 year old. Unfortunately, it's hard trying to explain the concept of personal responsibility to a child. Good luck with all that :wavey:

Sent from the bridge of an Imperial Star Destroyer

Hef
12-04-2012, 07:51
A few years ago I dealt with a situation where my sister invited my wife (then GF) and I to her wedding in NH. She asked that I not be armed at her wedding, to which I replied that I would not wear my firearm at the ceremony or the reception. She demanded that I leave my gun at home in SC.

I argued with her, my mother, and my grandmother about it. I let them know in no uncertain terms that they can't dictate to me, a grown man, what I can or can't do, and that they can either accept that I choose to be armed, or they can choose not to invite me to their events. They weren't happy but that is exactly what they needed to hear.

To keep the peace, I concealed my Taurus PT745, rather than my 1911, and they never knew I had it.

Since then they have attempted to dissuade me from carrying, to which I have responded by reminding them that they get no say in how I live my life. My inlaws have received the same treatment.

Generally, both families now know better than to waste their time arguing with me. I don't give them a hard time for choosing to be unarmed, and they don't give me a hard time for carrying a gun that I've never needed to use and likely never will.

Glock30Eric
12-04-2012, 11:13
Tell them it because your teleporter is broken.

I couldn't stop laughing on this comment. That was a really good troll comment.